Perk Rejected 4-year 30m Offer by the Cs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAkeravenger. Show LAkeravenger's posts

Re: Perk Rejected 4-year 30m Offer by the Cs

In Response to Re: Perk Rejected 4-year 30m Offer by the Cs:
    It's not too early to think about next year because this is how you build consistency and continuity for success. We don't want to win #18 and then be a 6th seed next year. We win #18 and we will want to repeat for the Big 3 and Shaq. It's never too early to look ahead, get contracts straight and plan for the future. Only losing teams play for the now but we're winning now so our now is taken care of. Our worry is how do we continue on and pull away from the Lakers and get #19, #20. I think Perk is worth at max $7M per year (3 year $21M) because he's a starting C on a top team. I can't see the C's going above that number. It will lineup with the Big 3 and give the C's a chance to look elsewhere in 3 years. Perk will just be turning 30.
    Posted by BiasLewis

Season is barely half over and you're talking about a repeat? Muhahahahaha!
    You'll never even get past Miami.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

IMHO, I think 30 mil is a bit much for Perk, ol' "cement hands, slow footed" Perkins.

His offensive game is really limited, and as for his defense, I'm not all that thrilled about it.

If you're watching the game right now, Howard OWNED Perk in the 1st quarter. Howard definitely improved around the basket, thanks to Olajuwon's help during the summer. I don't think Perk could handle him anymore.

Perk should take the money because he'd probably be just an average player on any other team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

Dino, I am sorry Perk will never have any speed.  He is slower than molasses.  He is only a fair rebounder.  His shooting is very poor.   This is not an earth shattering assessment.  The guy is very limited.  Dwight Howard is schooling him right now. BBD will cover Howard far better. Perk is admirable in his effort and sub par in his ability. It is just a fact.
    Posted by concord27

Good post.

You mirrored my thoughts!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

What is this idiocy spouted by people like Siestafiesta in threads  about Perk that he isn't a very good rebounder ?

He's averaged 9.8 rebounds per 36 minutes for his career. So far this season he's averaged nearly 12 rebounds per 36mins since coming back.  Most players how are llowed to be true starters get 32-38 minutes per game (which is why sites do stats 'per 36'). If perk had that he's be averaging nearly 10 rebounds per game and that is good period. Perkins per 36 for his career (including all his early raw years) is 9.8 rebounds, 2.3 blocks, and 4.5 fouls

You want to criticize a big for being soft ? Look at GLEN DAVIS. He's averaged MORE fouls per 36 than perk at 4.8 with only 7 rebounds and 0.5 blocks.  In other words he's fouled more than Perk while producing a third less rebounds and 70% less blocks.  And yet I see people praising Davis and telling me Perk should go? This team would be fine right now

Perkins plays his position the wya his team needs him to and plays it about as effectively as a center should.  I don't see anyone criticizing Marcus Camby or Okafor for their lack of offensive skills.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Dino, I understand and appreciate what kind of player and guy Perk is.  My point is he is a very limited player with little room to improve.  He is too slow to ever be a better scorer, his ballhandling skills are even more limited.  He as I said is a lunch pail guy and there is always room for a guy six ten who plays hard.  The problem for me is he supplies no offense and his rebounding is hardly dominant. I hope Perk improves and I am completely wrong.  My point is he is at this point not worth a long term commitment.  Especially at an inflated price.
    Posted by concord27

Fair points - I thought we overpaid Perk on is current deal, we should not be over paying again.  I hope Perk, having chosen Free Agency, does not lose focus down the stretch, we need him playing well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

In Response to Re: Perk Rejected 4-year 30m Offer by the Cs : Fair points - I thought we overpaid Perk on is current deal, we should not be over paying again.  I hope Perk, having chosen Free Agency, does not lose focus down the stretch, we need him playing well.
    Posted by BoylestonBB

ahh so now we're on to 'his rebounding is hardly dominant'.  Wow.    That's NOT anything resembling a fair point. That's just ignorance.  10 rebounds per 36 is very good even for a center and so far this year he's averaged a rebound every 3 minutes which is actually elite.

Mind you also that Perkins puts up those numbers in the slower Eastern Conference on a team that's had a great shooting percentage since the championship season.  It's not like there's been a ton of rebounding opportunities like Love has out in Minnesota but Perkins has been doing his job admirably.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

that is a downright GENEROUS offer to a guy with a limited skill set.  i say let him go try to get that on the open market- i don't think he will.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

So when the big 3 are gone, then you got Rondo and Perk. How da h3ll it will work?  He can't catch Rondos pass. The Celtics is doom if we give this guy a big contract.

Ainge will dangle this guy for a trade bait -- this for sure.
    Perk is not the future after the big 3. Wash your brain and think a bit deeper.

While his legs is ok, Danny knew this is just temporary.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chief16OZ. Show Chief16OZ's posts

Walk away from 7.5 mil a year to stay with a championship caliber team? Wow.  Thats disappointing and surprising. That offer is right on the money (excuse the pun).

Can Perkins really command anything more on the open market? Lets make an honest and thorough assessment of Perkins' skills:

Theres no arguing that the Perkalator brews his best coffee on the defensive end.  He's a hard nosed defender who bodies fools up and actually welcomes contact. Paired with the quicker Garnett the two provide very good interrior defense. On the glass Perkins is a solid rebounder on both offence and defense. Perhaps most important of all, Perkins is a soldier who adheres unwaveringly to Docs rules and defensive attack plan which makes him a reliable team defender. On the down side Perkins' speed and lift are only average making him a liability against more 'athletic' centers who also possess any semblance of an outside game. 

On the offensive end Perkins is an assett in that he fulfills all those no glory duties like setting screens and pounding for position on offensive rebounds.  His jump shot is nothing special (and thats being kind) athough he can hit his jump hook from 5-7 feet with decent consistency.  Around the rim he gets swatted more than we'd like but usually is able to finish although rarely with a thunderous or contested dunk.  Perkins doesnt have great hands and fumble passes - loses rebounds too frequently.

Ultimately Perkins boils down to a B / B+ ROLL PLAYER.  Yes, Perkins is a starter but lets remember Perkins maxis out a 25 minutes a game.  Davis is the first man off the bench for a reason, i.e. to provide another scoring option for the Big 3. Perkins is the 5th option on offense and always will be. 

Excessively critical of Perkins? I hope not, I really do like the guy.  Perkins is one of those rare examples of someone who really does give 110%.  He works like a dog and I admire him for that.  On the other hand, Perkins is no all-star and nothings every going to change that.  Within the Celtics current set up hes a valuable piece to the banner 18 puzzle. On the other hand theres already plenty of uncertainty in the NBA air with the CBA on the horizon.  Add to that the uncertainty of 'damaged goods' which Perkins now embodies.  In my eyes resigning with the Celtics for a respectable 7.5 MILLION should have been a no brainer. Then again 'brains' are not exactly a common commodity in the NBA.

Just my take.

Go CELTICS!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

For the record, Perkins has hit 10-15 foot jump shots in games. Back when Jefferson was here Doc used to praise Perk for hitting jumpshots all the time in practice.

The reason he doesn't do it in games is that he DOESN'T NEED TO.  The team has jumpshooters everywhere, Rondo and Perkins don't need to be taking them.  I'm literally laughing about people saying the Celtics can't win if Rondo can't hit jumpshots and Perkins doesn't become na offensive beast. In case people forget they DID win a championship with those players. As a matter of fact, they've gone 215-80 over the last 4 years with those players.

It's a lot harder to find a great defensive point guard who can dish 12 assists per game or a defensive center who can grab 10 rebounds and play great body D    than it is to find a SG/SF who can use screens and hit jump shots.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

I like Perkins,but Danny is lucky he didn't take that deal.

He will be cheaper,after the new agreement is settled. He was dumb for turning it don.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

so far, nobody in this post has even addressed the fact that tomorrow's 7.5M is today's 8.5 or 9M- the new CBA is going to have a significant REDUCTION of salary cap numbers!!!

so perk effectively turned down 8.5 a year.  i say forget it.  he's not worth trading now in that we aren't going to get a better middle clogger for the stretch run.

keep him and (most obviously) davis as right there with no shaq or erden involved you have enough to thwart dwight howard and the magic.

but let perk GO.  go and find out that you are a dummy for turning down dream money for a cemented footed glass handed clod who has trouble moving with any grace or timeliness on the floor.

and who cares if he goes to miami.  he's not much more of a player than joel anthony- maybe perk is in inch taller and 30 pounds heavier and he moves like he's 60 pounds heavier....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

First of all, the report about the offer to Perkins and its rejection is unsubstantiated. No one form the Celtics organization has confirmed the same. Secondly, it's not unusual for a person to turn down an initial offer. This doesn't mean he won't eventually sign with the Celtics. He chooses to go through a negotiation process with the Celtics as well as other teams that may be interested in his services. That's his prerogative whether we think he's being smart about his situation or not.

Danny Ainge knows what he's doing. He could have easily negotiated a less expensive extension or a new contract with Perkins when the latter was injured and rehabilitating. However, he chose not to. He also chose not to extend or renew Glen Davis' contract prior to or at the start of the season. I think Ainge has chosen not be gung ho about this matter and, instead, make said contract decisions based on team performance this season as well as the outcome of the collective bargaining negotiations with the players union.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

so far, nobody in this post has even addressed the fact that tomorrow's 7.5M is today's 8.5 or 9M- the new CBA is going to have a significant REDUCTION of salary cap numbers!!! so perk effectively turned down 8.5 a year.  i say forget it.  he's not worth trading now in that we aren't going to get a better middle clogger for the stretch run. keep him and (most obviously) davis as right there with no shaq or erden involved you have enough to thwart dwight howard and the magic. but let perk GO.  go and find out that you are a dummy for turning down dream money for a cemented footed glass handed clod who has trouble moving with any grace or timeliness on the floor. and who cares if he goes to miami.  he's not much more of a player than joel anthony- maybe perk is in inch taller and 30 pounds heavier and he moves like he's 60 pounds heavier....
    Posted by aciemvp

I pointed out that Perk was dumb for turning down the deal,because I speculated the new agreement would make him worth less money.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

I find it extremely unlikely that a player coming off a major injury, with a new bargaining agreement around the corner, would turn this generous offer down.

if he actually did, he's getting bad advice

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

Holy Batman. Perk busted his butt to get back and play this year. From the type of injury he had that has to show the fans and the C's he has to be worth keeping. 4 years @9 million to start. I would go 10 a year, but that's max. The kid will be in his late 20's after that and he show's he is a All-Star center in the NBA his pay will come them. BBD another 4 year deal @ 6 million and again he would be in the Perk time frame in late 20's and prove's he got it all, the their paydays will come. These guys got to understand right now they are having a chance to play and win with some of the best talent. PP, KG and RR. Perk and BBD take it now and enjoy playing with these guy's and your paydays will come in time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Folks, Perk is falling right in line with all the other guys who think because they play for the C's and have been good that they can take the money and run and be just as successful. I hope Perk doesn't fall into the trap of TA and Posey and possbily BBD. All these guys should be thanking the Big 3 everyday...including Rondo. In reality none of them did a thing until KG and RA came along.
    Posted by BiasLewis

Very well said.

Guys can make their careers by playing alongside star players. They then can think of themselves as stars in the process. Most often they're not.

Can't say I deny a role/player type of player who leaves a champion team for a big payday. But they're usually found out in a new system where they're expected to play a bigger role.

Some of these players once they get their big 3 or 4 year contract are content and will play lazy basketball. Posey is a guy who springs to mind.

However if Perkins goes to Miami he'd be a decent fit. He'd have a similar role that he has in Boston and will certainly help out the Heat.

Said it last year. Miami will be at it's weakest this season. This is the Celtics ONE chance to win a title during this 'Heat' era that is coming the NBAs way. Perkins would be making a smart move if he went to the Heat. If he joined New Jersey he'd be needing a mental examination.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Like many others here, I agree that the Celtics offer to Perk was a good one. I think that Perk is being foolish in turning it down, especially with the possibility of a lock out coming this summer. This summer may be a bad summer to be a free agent due to a possible lock out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Like many others here, I agree that the Celtics offer to Perk was a good one. I think that Perk is being foolish in turning it down, especially with the possibility of a lock out coming this summer. This summer may be a bad summer to be a free agent due to a possible lock out.
    Posted by mem17

Looking at it from Perk's point of view I think Perk was right not to accept the offer. If the Celtics win a championship this season and Perk plays well in the playoffs then Perk's value will be at an all time high once he becomes a free-agent.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickFaldo. Show NickFaldo's posts

This forum is dominated by people who either don't know what they're talking about or are trying to get a rise out of people. Attacking Rondo and Perkins is a sad joke. Perkins isn't a great rebounder but he's probably above average, better than Sheed. KG is 7 foot tall. Pierce and Rondo also rebound. There are only so many of them available unless you're Rodman or Love seeking them out. If Perk goes to Miami and stays healthy, Miami will definitely become the next dynasty. I think Perk turning down the offer was a formality and nothing to jump to conclusions over. I think he'll stay. I think both he and Glen Davis stay. If there's a lockout, then that definitely throws everything into the air. The new Big Three window has this and next year left. After that, this is Rondo's team and will look much different, unless KG and Ray want to keep going as role players with limited minutes. Danny said he won't let what happened to the original Big Three happen with this one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

If any team wants to pay Kendrick Perkins much more than 7.5 million per year then I'd say, "be my guest." He's a decent NBA center but nothing to build your team around.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

Perk signing with the Heat for the MLE would be something.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

In Response to Re: Perk Rejected 4-year 30m Offer by the Cs : You don't build around Perk. You add him to a team that is already on the cusp. Instantly you have a top 5 defensive center. They are far and few between and most Centers don't score squat nowadays anyway. It's so rare to have a good center that Perk is one of the better ones. Go through the teams. The center position is a total joke. 
    Posted by tompenny

Wow, you don't build around the center? A zhyte logic.
    Just like saying, you don't build around the foundation of the house. You build
          the roof & in the wall.
    You always can find a plywood and a shingle but always rare to find who will build your foundation.
    So, center is the core and hard to come by.

Guards - forwards are plentiful - walmart price.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Perk Rejected 4-year 30m Offer by the Cs : Wow, you don't build around the center? A zhyte logic. Just like saying, you don't build around the foundation of the house. You build       the roof & in the wall. You always can find a plywood and a shingle but always rare to find who will build your foundation. So, center is the core and hard to come by. Guards - forwards are plentiful - walmart price.
    Posted by CHEisCHE

I read tompenny's post, he did not say not to build around a Center. He said not to build around Perk.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

In Response to Re: Perk Rejected 4-year 30m Offer by the Cs : Face it. The C'z are going to be really bad in a few years. Teams will want Perk. A team like OKC would love him. They are up and coming and have money and I don't hate them :) What you don't want is for him to somehow sign with the Heat.
    Posted by tompenny
    You can't be too sure about this. The present ownership of the team is one committed to winning and willing (and able) to spend for talent. When the contracts of Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett come off the books, the Celtics will be able to pursue major free agents. If they can maintain a core of respectable talent (Rondo, Big Baby, Perkins), they won't be as bad as many think.

Sections
Shortcuts