Perk Rejected 4-year 30m Offer by the Cs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Perk Rejected 4-year 30m Offer by the Cs

I like Perk, he's a serviceable center.  Seems like he's come back ok from major surgery, which is great.  If the C's get #18, he will be a major contributor.   

If I'm Perk, I wouldn't sell myself short this time around on a contract.  Guys that are not as good as him got ridiculous money from teams desperate for a 5 (Gortat, Haywood anybody?).  Perk will look at the Celtics' situation and realize in a few years that the roster will be blown up.  So they either pay him as a future cornerstone (he's part of the core whether you like his game or not) or he should shop his services to an up and coming contender -- OKC is a good one, for example. 

Perk deserves a payday, he's earned it. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

How would Perk do on any other team.  Say  on the Warriors  --  Wizzards  --  Timberwolves?  Think playing for the Celtics helps him.  Rondo and KG make him look a little better?  Or maybe PP or Ray spreading the floor?  Think other Centers would look better playing with our 4 All-Stars?

Perk has fit the Celtic System  He has played hard.  He does his best.  YOu see the good and the bad.

He is an injury prone player with a bad knee, shoulder problems, bad hands, who has missed 74 games in the last 6 years.  A long term gamble.  Especially when KG  ---  PP  --  Ray are gone.  He is a fit with the existing team and plays good "D".  He has averaged 6.8 rebs. and 6.9 Pts. for his play-off career.

The 36 minute stat is a joke.  He has never played 30 minutes a game for a season.  Never had 800 Pts..  Had 600 rebounds once.  Has averaged 25 minutes a game.

Will he get $30 million, maybe.  How did we do without him?  Very well indeed.

Would like to see Gasol from Memphis  --  healthier  --  better bet for $30,000,000.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"What you don't want is for him to somehow sign with the Heat."

right. Fortunately I think they only have the mid-level exception. I think you're right that OKC might be a Perk destination, they have the money and that's a good fit for him. 

We'll see. I'm not as interested in talking about next year as some other posters. To me, that's what offseason talk is for. 

BiasLewis, I understand why you like to talk about future years but you need to recognize that until NBA has a new labor deal, there's no way to talk about the future years in a remotely realistic manner. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

The Celtics offered Perk as much as they could as a restricted free agent. His agent knows that.

The Celtics are a defensive team, and Perk is a premium defensive player.

If you go to other sports blogs, fans from other teams are drooling over the prospect the Perk may be available. Miami fans, and Knicks fans would absolutely love to have Perk.

There are too many spoiled fans in Boston.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bfletch56. Show bfletch56's posts

Dwight Howard is a free agent in the near future.......Something to think about...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrydeurodlives. Show terrydeurodlives's posts

Not sure why Baby is getting all the hate..

BBD is integral to this team - some talking about no IQ? Too many fouls? He leads the NBA in taking charges, and potentially 6th man of the year. He offers more flexibility(scoring), hustle,  fire, and unique options especially for a future without the big 3. What did Perk do when KG went down during the playoffs?

Both are priveledged to be part of this team, but not sure why all the negative BBD talk. Just saying...

Hope they both stay in green for a while, but i personally like BBD. Hes has been a winner at all levels of competition.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from damfuno2. Show damfuno2's posts

In Response to Re: Perk Rejected 4-year 30m Offer by the Cs:
    7.5 million a year isnt bad at all.
    Posted by PierceIsTheTruth

I thought that the off from the C's to Perk was the most we could offer according the CBA.......I believe it involved a 20% increase in each of the years.......if that is so how could he get more elsewhere?  I apologize but I am not up on CBA salary rules as some others are

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Perk Rejected 4-year 30m Offer by the Cs : I thought that the off from the C's to Perk was the most we could offer according the CBA.......I believe it involved a 20% increase in each of the years.......if that is so how could he get more elsewhere?  I apologize but I am not up on CBA salary rules as some others are
    Posted by damfuno2

I think Perk is thinking of Brendan Haywood money, 55m 6 years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

From SI.com: http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/02/08/boston-suddenly-in-state-of-flux/?eref=sihp

Perkins told reporters Monday that he recently turned down a four-year, approximately $22 million contract extension from Boston. That’s close to the maximum four-year, $23.4 million deal the Celtics can offer Perkins now under the current collective bargaining agreement. Perkins has always said he wants to remain a Celtic, but reports that he rejected this offer had folks wondering if Boston was set for a tough negotiation — especially because Joakim Noah (a better player than Perkins, clearly) and Brendan Haywood (getting DNP-CDs right now in Dallas) just received big paydays. Perkins’ agent would undoubtedly use those deals as leverage in contract talks.

But then Perkins said this Monday in references to earlier (and inaccurate) reports that Boston had offered him nearly $30 million over four years:

“That wasn’t it. They offered me four years, but it was closer to like $22 million,” Perkins said. “You talking four years, $30 million! Shoot, that’s different. That’s a big difference.”

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

From SI.com: http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/02/08/boston-suddenly-in-state-of-flux/?eref=sihp Perkins told reporters Monday that he recently turned down a four-year, approximately $22 million contract extension from Boston. That’s close to the maximum four-year, $23.4 million deal the Celtics can offer Perkins now under the current collective bargaining agreement. Perkins has always said he wants to remain a Celtic, but reports that he rejected this offer had folks wondering if Boston was set for a tough negotiation — especially because Joakim Noah (a better player than Perkins, clearly) and Brendan Haywood (getting DNP-CDs right now in Dallas) just received big paydays. Perkins’ agent would undoubtedly use those deals as leverage in contract talks. But then Perkins said this Monday in references to earlier (and inaccurate) reports that Boston had offered him nearly $30 million over four years: “That wasn’t it. They offered me four years, but it was closer to like $22 million,” Perkins said. “You talking four years, $30 million! Shoot, that’s different. That’s a big difference.”
    Posted by edcap99

that makes more sense. I'd say his real value is somewhere in between $22-30 million.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

Bottom line is that Perk is a Center who is a great defensive player, but lacks an offensive skillset.  Not to mention he just recently had that huge injury that was a major setback and will be a factor long-term.  Don't get me wrong, I want Perk on this team, but everyone knows that he isn't worth anymore than 25 mil on his extension.  Frankly, that might be a bit too generous.

Sections
Shortcuts