Perkins changing NBA balance of power(see link)...without Shaq, we are shackled...NO # 18 this year!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Perkins changing NBA balance of power(see link)...without Shaq, we are shackled...NO # 18 this year!!!

In addition to  Sox beating Yankees yesterday, I immensely enjoyed the Thunder beating the Lakers.  Don't know which team I hate more, probably Lakers as I live in SF & have to watch them beat our Golden State Warriors & other west coast teams regularly.

With the thrashing by both the Bulls & Heat, I'm now, alas, believing that the losses to average teams too was no fluke. We have become just an average 500 team.  I do not wish as I've been an avid Celtic fan since Cousy/Sharman days to be the Prophet of Doom and a  Monday morning quarterback but I think we should have kept Perkins & gone after # 18 this year. I thought maybe we could do it just with JON but he ain't going to be our savior and the fairy ain't gonna wave her magic wand & turn us into a legitimate contender.  As we were floundering a few months ago, it was said we needed offense.   Barkley said awhile back, given the choice of having domination from a team in its backcourt or under the paint,  he would choose the key/hoop area. In the NCAA final, Butler made 9 threes and the UConns only one for 27-3 or +24 but Connecticut outscored Butler by an unthinkable 26-2 in the paint, + 24. I'm not professing to be Sherlock Holmes here but the difference  for the victory was in rebounds which was 53 UConn to 41. 

Mea Culpa opening old wounds but despite the Lakers' poor offense in Game #7, they won and it was their Offensive rebounds, 23 vs our 8 and Defensive 30 vs our 32 so they totaled 53 to our 40 or 13 more which did us in. Do you not think if we had Perkins for Game 7 we would have had more rebounds ? Their 23-8 or +15 offensive rebounds despite their poor shooting allowed 1-2 extra shots. Kobe, Gasol, Odom, Bynum, Artest, Fisher are not going to miss 2-3 in a row. Wouldn't we like Allen, Pierce & Garnett extra shots ? So, we lost Game #7 last year not only because of disparity in fouls but we were out rebounded and without Perk and only lost by 4 points. If a team can hit 50% outside the paint, there are only 1/2 as many rebounds to worry about. And we shot well in other games in the Laker series. I mean Allen broke the record for 3s in game 2 but in game 7 I think he only shot 3 for 14 or 21%. I mean just 1-2 more baskets & we'd have probably won & with extra rebounds, he'd have had the chance.

One of the reasons given for so many fouls was that we were tired and grabbing. The big 3 won 2 years before but in 2010 they were 2 years older. I'm hoping that 2010 was not their last hurrah. But now they are even one more year older so I would not have traded Perkins. Keep in mind we did not trade him because we acquired JON first & then Shaq. We got them because Perk was injured and recovering.  So, we could have kept ALL THREE !!! Jeff Green fine for the future but with big 3 now 3 years older than when we won, this was the year to go after # 18 with Perkins and we wouldn't have been so desperate worrying about the health of Shaq. Deal with Perk's contract after the title & if he left or we wished him to leave, start our rebuilding program & maybe go after Jeff Green for 2012.  How many more productive years do you think we have from the Big 3 ???

In yesterday's game it was deja vu again, the Heat , a team that was so poor in the paint earlier this season dominated us out-rebounding  the Celtics 42-26. The Celtics' 10 first-half rebounds were a season low for any Miami opponent this season. The Heat had 15 offensive rebounds. Boston had three. The Heat scored 44 points in the paint. Boston scored 26. To me the 6 week old question about how awful or awesome was the trade for Jeff Green that sent Perkins to the Thunder has been answered, having seen it play out since the trade as we are 9 and 11 and they are 12-3.

Read link which substantiated my opinion that we should have kept Perkins. 

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/kendrick-perkins-oklahoma-city-thunder-changing-balance-of-power-in-nba-041011

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Re: Perkins changing NBA balance of power(see link)...without Shaq, we are shackled...NO # 18 this year!!!

Shaq is going to make people forget about Perk after 3 playoff games.

Shaq doesn't want to go out like a chump. He needs that 5th ring and probably will be the first to get 3 rings on 3 different teams. Shaq is looking to leave a legacy.  Trust me he wants people talking about him as one of the greatest C's of all time. He'll prove his worth in the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: Perkins changing NBA balance of power(see link)...without Shaq, we are shackled...NO # 18 this year!!!

In Response to Re: Perkins changing NBA balance of power(see link)...without Shaq, we are shackled...NO # 18 this year!!!:
    [QUOTE]Shaq is going to make people forget about Perk after 3 playoff games. Shaq doesn't want to go out like a chump. He needs that 5th ring and probably will be the first to get 3 rings on 3 different teams. Shaq is looking to leave a legacy.  Trust me he wants people talking about him as one of the greatest C's of all time. He'll prove his worth in the playoffs.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

I hope that you are right.  I will remain optimistic, but until Shaq returns and can play more than five minutes without getting  injured again, I am not hoping for much from him.  The only way the Celtics can compete is with a productive Shaq in the lineup. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

In Response to Re: Perkins changing NBA balance of power(see link)...without Shaq, we are shackled...NO # 18 this year!!!:
    [QUOTE]Shaq is going to make people forget about Perk after 3 playoff games. Shaq doesn't want to go out like a chump. He needs that 5th ring and probably will be the first to get 3 rings on 3 different teams. Shaq is looking to leave a legacy.  Trust me he wants people talking about him as one of the greatest C's of all time. He'll prove his worth in the playoffs.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

I do hope you are right, but as the old saying goes: I will not beleive it, until I see it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Perkins changing NBA balance of power(see link)...without Shaq, we are shackled...NO # 18 this year!!! : I do hope you are right, but as the old saying goes: I will not beleive it, until I see it.
    Posted by CelticFanLA[/QUOTE]

At least he is positive and truly supporting his team.  Even though Lakers are losing, their fans seem not to care....

I'm with him... and being a realist as well, not a homer.

Sections
Shortcuts