Perkins looking forward to Free Agency

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Re: Perkins looking forward to Free Agency

It will bea waste of money to sign Perk with big bucks. Celtics should have traded him 2 years ago.
    Oh well, Danny has plan...no one knows.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

yeah i saw this on hoopsworld this morning. i say we let him go and bring back wallace for 2 years. he could cover howard good too :X okay i am kidding with that. lets see how he plays when he gets back, which if he plays 3/4 of the man he used to be. i will be surprised. its still a long season, 50+ games to go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

When I think of Perk of last season and compare him to our centers this season, I think it should be a priority to sign him.

If JON gets healthy (and stays healthy), I love him as a backup to Perk.  I really question Shaq as a starter for two reasons.  He cannot score or defend as effectively anymore.  IMO, Shaq should be our 3rd center option when Perk returns.

Shaq is just so slow and moves with no fluidity.  He used to have a jump hook but that seems to have been lost.  He bangs and then spins towards the rim but if someone is there, he's incapable of getting to the rim over them.  He also plays defense in small spurts.  He'll make a good play but then make a ridiculous foul because he just cannot move any longer.

And I'm totally disappointed in his rebounding.  Shaq never was a big-time rebounder but I thought he'd commit more to that this season knowing we needed that.

I have been impressed with JON's contribution since his return.  If he can get his conditioning set and stay healthy, he would be a valuable backup on the 2nd unit for the long term.  He STILL has offensive skills and can play defense.  Like Shaq, I wish he would rebound more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

If he's physically recovered and they can sign him they should.  He's only 26 and with all the talk about poor rebounding on this site as of late you can see how having a moose near the basket who's willing and able to box out is a real bonus.  His last contract was a little low, but they developed him out of high school and I'll bet he signs if they make him a decent offer.  JO gets 6 mil, Rasheed got 6 mil, and these are guys coming off the bench.  Perk was making around 4, and if they can sign him for between 5 and 6 a year for a 5 year deal, that's a steal and I bet it happens.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I would resign Perk (if healthy) to a cap friendly contract. He fits in well with what Doc needs.

I've always thought Shaq would be better on the 2nd unit. He'll be going against backup centers and give the 2nd unit a inside presence to free up Nate/West/Wafer

JON has played well the past week. I still don't trustthat he'll be healthy in 2 weeks but we'll see.

Erden just needs to get stronger and keep his confidence up. Spend a summer with McHale on some post moves or a baby hook. He should be a totally different player next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoCalCeltFan. Show SoCalCeltFan's posts

In Response to Re: Perkins looking forward to Free Agency:
    [QUOTE]When I think of Perk of last season and compare him to our centers this season, I think it should be a priority to sign him. If JON gets healthy (and stays healthy), I love him as a backup to Perk.  I really question Shaq as a starter for two reasons.  He cannot score or defend as effectively anymore.  IMO, Shaq should be our 3rd center option when Perk returns. Shaq is just so slow and moves with no fluidity.  He used to have a jump hook but that seems to have been lost.  He bangs and then spins towards the rim but if someone is there, he's incapable of getting to the rim over them.  He also plays defense in small spurts.  He'll make a good play but then make a ridiculous foul because he just cannot move any longer. And I'm totally disappointed in his rebounding.  Shaq never was a big-time rebounder but I thought he'd commit more to that this season knowing we needed that. I have been impressed with JON's contribution since his return.  If he can get his conditioning set and stay healthy, he would be a valuable backup on the 2nd unit for the long term.  He STILL has offensive skills and can play defense.  Like Shaq, I wish he would rebound more.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]
    My sentiments about Shaq exactly. I won't repeat what I said on the Caption for Shaq board. I'll just say, the parquet floor is NOT Harvard Square and he shouldn't be posing as a statue there during games!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Perk is very limited in what he can do.  He will not improve in his ballhandling, scoring, foul shooting, or defense.  He more likely will be worse.  I wish we had him in game seven last year but almost pulled my hair watching him turnover the ball that year.  Shaq is a much more viable weapon at this point. Unfortunately Perk has very little value right now so we are stuck with him.  But I certainly don't mean to say there won't be minutes for him to play and be helpful.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoCalCeltFan. Show SoCalCeltFan's posts

[QUOTE]If he's physically recovered and they can sign him they should.  He's only 26 and with all the talk about poor rebounding on this site as of late you can see how having a moose near the basket who's willing and able to box out is a real bonus.  His last contract was a little low, but they developed him out of high school and I'll bet he signs if they make him a decent offer.  JO gets 6 mil, Rasheed got 6 mil, and these are guys coming off the bench.  Perk was making around 4, and if they can sign him for between 5 and 6 a year for a 5 year deal, that's a steal and I bet it happens.
    Posted by jeezem[/QUOTE]

This was a bad year for Perk to be out injured. His contract year plus a looming lock out won't help is negotiating status around the NBA. The Cs should have the upper hand, if he comes back healthy and contributes, the Cs could make him a good offer, despite the pending lockout. If not, he'll be thrown into a maelstrom of uncertainty, new cap rules, and lots of free agent competitors on the market.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Perk is vastly overrated and has actually regressed on offense. How many times do we have to tell him to keep the ball up high and not do his pump fake routine!!?? At least Shaq brings some offense to the equation. I wouldn't mind Perk getting some minutes with the second unit but he is not a starter, i'm sorry...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I'm also looking forward to Perk's free agency.  When healthy JON is probably the best of the bunch!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

[QUOTE]Perk is vastly overrated and has actually regressed on offense. How many times do we have to tell him to keep the ball up high and not do his pump fake routine!!?? At least Shaq brings some offense to the equation. I wouldn't mind Perk getting some minutes with the second unit but he is not a starter, i'm sorry...
    Posted by jam757[/QUOTE]Do you mean not a starter because he was the starting center in 2008 that won an NBA title as a starting center, and would have won another last year if he didn't blow his knee out?  A starting center in the prime of his career who's good enough to win 2 NBA titles as a starting center - yea, who needs that?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

There are many players that have overachieved playing next to the big 3. They come and go and when they leave, they dont do as good with the other teams. I think Danny is aware of that. Perkins IMO is one of those, BBD is one of those, TA was one of those, etc etc etc...just as any other job, no one is expendable..Danny Ainge can bring replacements that can take over roles. Now, whether there are any available at the time being, only DA will know..That is just my take.. but I hate to see any current C go and that includes Perkins, BBD etc etc.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

hmmm, so you think Perk should start when healthy over Shaq? I'm not positive about that. I don't want Perk to leave either as he does have some value but the price has to be right. I think Shaq's offense outweighs Perk's defense..that's all i'm sayin'

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE]hmmm, so you think Perk should start when healthy over Shaq? I'm not positive about that. I don't want Perk to leave either as he does have some value but the price has to be right. I think Shaq's offense outweighs Perk's defense..that's all i'm sayin'
    Posted by jam757[/QUOTE]

If healthy I would start Perk over Shaq. Against other teams' starters i do value perk's defense more than Shaq's offense. We have many scoring options. I'm happy with what shaq has done for us so far, but let's be real, his defense is pretty poor.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Wow, some have just thrown Perk to the junk pile after a devastating injury. If we had him game 7 we win. The starters have never lost a series with him, why would anyone want to break that up? How quickly we forget.

No one plays Howard like Perk. I wouldn't want to leave next year up to Shaq and JON...heck no!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Sign Perk and Baby to medium level contracts as soon as possible.  Both have big parts in our present and future, sigh West also; all three would be bargains at this time and worth it.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

[QUOTE]hmmm, so you think Perk should start when healthy over Shaq? I'm not positive about that. I don't want Perk to leave either as he does have some value but the price has to be right. I think Shaq's offense outweighs Perk's defense..that's all i'm sayin'
    Posted by jam757[/QUOTE]Yea, it is an interesting conversation - but, Shaq has very limited mobility.    I think he's filling in great, but would have more of an impact playing 15-20 minutes a night off the bench.  The second team could focus on him as a 1st scoring option as they struggle to put points up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I do want to keep Perk and i'm not saying that Shaq is the long term answer. Perk does do a great job on Howard, no one is denying that. I wouldn't expect much from Perk this year. Maybe i'm a little hard on him but he's not one of my favorite players because he is a HUGE liability on offense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

All I keep hearing is about his defense against Howard.  Where was his defense against Bynum and Gasol games 1-5?  Who is to say the Celtics even face the Magic in the playoffs this year?  If they win the East, then it will more than likely be Miami/Orlando second round match up and they will beat up each other.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

jeezem hit the nail on the head.  Shaq's value is maximized when he's limited to playing 15-20 minutes a night.  Shaq is less effective playing with the big 4 because he really isn't an option unless he completely backs someone down under the rim.  Perk, who gets garbage buckets, rebounds and anchors the interior defensively, is s perfect fit as the starter.

Shaq would be so much more effective playing 15-20 minutes with guys like Delonte, Nate, JON, Quis and Baby.  We'd have as talented a second unit as there was in the NBA.  They would put pressure on other team's starters.

I just think that what Perk bings (among other things) is exactly what we missed in game 7 of the NBA Finals last year and what this team is missing NOW with KG out of the lineup, rebounding.

I think we could sign him for a very cap-friendly figure.  Same for Baby and Delone and Quis.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

If we are playing Orlando 82 times, Perk is fine vs Howard.
    Otherwise, all his moves pointing to all liabilities.
    Sorry...you are all blind.

Oh..every game with orlando, Howard dumped lots of points and rebounds over Perk. He can swat now and then....but at the end...oh never mind.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Petey, I feel that you are the voice of reason on BDC...

What do you feel the team will look like post big 3?  Based on what we have now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

i like perk. i hope he is learning some stuff from watching shaq, and in practice.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Perk has proven that he doesn't need the ball to be effective with the starters. Remember last year they kept running all this stuff through Perk trying to develop him as a lowpost threat. Perk enjoys his role and that's hard to replace for a guy who doesn't need the ball. SOme guys get the big head when they start putting up some decent numbers and think they deserve bigger roles...ahem BBD call your office.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]It will bea waste of money to sign Perk with big bucks. Celtics should have traded him 2 years ago. Oh well, Danny has plan...no one knows.
    Posted by CHEisCHE[/QUOTE]

Man that is some ignorant vomit

Perk should hopefully get a 1 year deal at around the same $ he is making this season 4-5 million from us. Maybe just enough of a raise to keep him from other teams MLE $. I see nobody in this climate able to give him more than the MLE and a chance to win. He is a competitor, not a lazy Tim Thomas mercenary.

He will prob be offered the MLE from several teams b/c even if he is never quite the 8 point, 9 rebound, 2 blocks in 26 mins guy he was starting w/ KG's arrival, he'd at least be a 5-6.5-1.5 guy in 18-22 mins off the bench and an intimidator/rim defender.

If that is what he shows himself to be healthy next year we can keep him for the MLE and maybe get Kaman as a starter summer '12. If Perk elevates his game to the 13.5-11-2.5 guy we always thought he could be, then we can give him like 5/50 and be secure with a 27-28 yr old fully recovered Perk as C of future.