Pierce contract breakdown

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Pierce contract breakdown

HoopsHype recently updated its salary database to include a four-year breakdown of Pierce's extension that the site suggests pays annually as follows: $13.9 million, $15.3 million, $16.8 million, $15.3 million.

You gotta be kidding me...

The one year we are trying to get oodles of cap space is the one he makes 16.8 million in???

What!!!!!!!

Wyc must REALLY enjoy the lux tax savings this year and next b/c if this contract staggering, as much as 3 million more in '12 than they could have made it, ruins our chance at giving that extra 12-15 million over 5 years to a FA, I will be ripped

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

Re: Pierce contract breakdown

PP may not be here in year 3 of that deal, so i wouldn't worry about it just yet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Pierce contract breakdown:
    PP may not be here in year 3 of that deal, so i wouldn't worry about it just yet.
    Posted by kaktug

You suggesting he will retire or be traded?

I'm pretty sure he ripped up 21.5 million and declined the 5/85 that the Clippers apparently offered to take 13.5 and 61 over 4... thus saving Wyc 16 million over the enxt 12 months...b/c the team promised he'd retire a Celtic and took care of him through (probably) the end of his career

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

he saved them enough money this year to sign Shaq and resign davis and robinson.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If the Celtics win their 18th championship in 2011 then the money spent on Pierce would be worth it. I don't think there would be Celtic fans complaining about Pierce's salary if the Celtics beat LA in the Finals next year 4-1.
    Posted by Fierce34

Well duh

It just should have gone somthing like 15-16-13-17 IMO, that would have given them an extra 15 million over 5 years to add to any free agent offer

thinking ahead never hurts, I was all for the 4/60 extension, even called the opt out, retire a Celt contract and lux tax savings months ago (albeit it a 4/52 prediction)

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I understand that keeping him is important and the overall deal was a good one

There is little chance he retires and leave 32 million on the table for one thing

But clearly the staggered amounts were done in a way that saves Wyc lux tax over the next 2 seasons rather than give the club the max space possible to build our future beyond that

Paul would still have saved the organization 13 million in '11 if you staggered it in a way to leave the most cap space possible summer of '12... I have to think paying an extra 6-7 million over the next two years to PP/tax is worth being able to pull in a FA who becomes one of your best 3 starters and a probable all-star or one who becomes your 4th or 5th best starter, maybe even 6th man, and not an all-star

That is the diff between 5/45 and 5/60, and that is what 2.5 million more under the cap means

And surely Paul himself wouldn't care if he got that 4m sooner rather than later, so it wasn't his lawyers who asked for the breakdown that way

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yes it is

That is why I am complaining about the SECOND big name free agent we now have less to spend on

We can offer Dwight Howard a max deal, and then we are unable to offer a 2nd max deal to pull in another

Chances are that we will not have a shot at Howard (he will prob want Chris Paul and another FA to join him in tax free Florida, if Paul fails to get Melo in NO)

Or we will have used some of that space on Perk, or Baby, or both. Most of the best FA that summer are lining up to be restricted, like OJ Mayo.

There are some SF's this upcoming summer, ones who will help the last gasp title run in '12 but also be good for 3-4 more years beyond that, who I wouldn't mind using MLE $ on and eating into that space as well (if we don't get say Posey who has 2 years left)

With all the options to think of ('11 1st rd pick also) hbeing an extra 2-3 million under is clearly worth paying an extra 6 million for the previous 2 years... but its not my money.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I am thinking of scenarios where we can get a 2nd stud Fa to join the max guy we got, say a resticted free agent like Jason Thompson or Kevin Love to help replace KG, b/c their team wouldn't match 5/70... but we can only offer 5/55, which would be matched in a heartbeat...b/c Paul makes 16m instead of 13m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

I am thinking of scenarios where we can get a 2nd stud Fa to join the max guy we got, say a resticted free agent like Jason Thompson or Kevin Love to help replace KG, b/c their team wouldn't match 5/70... but we can only offer 5/55, which would be matched in a heartbeat...b/c Paul makes 16m instead of 13m
    Posted by rameakap

You're sweating the small stuff. The ultimate goal is to win an NBA championship. If the Celtics can win now who cares about 2012 or 2013. You're fooling yourself if you think the Celtics will not go back to the lottery after KG and Ray are gone. What Ainge, Doc, and the owners have in mind is win now and worry about the future later.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

I'll bet $100 right now that the Celtics will not be a lottery team in 2013, after KG's and Ray's current contracts are up. 

What Ainge and the owners have in mind is for the Celtics to be contenders EVERY year.  I trust Danny to make it happen. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'd also bet that we will not be a lotto team

Pierce/Rondo, plus 28 million in cap space and hopefully Bradley making a jump then at age 21-22 and at least 1 more 1st rd pick...

I may be sweating the small stuff... but it is clear this contract structuring had NOTHING to do with the 'win now' agenda, and everything to do with Wyc saving more millions now

If it is at the expense of a having a 'very good' future signee vs simply a 'good' one then it makes sense to question why it was structured that way

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I don't like the 4-year deal for Pierce, but I don't see what choice Ainge had right now if he wanted to add to the roster for a run this year -- and maybe next -- but not sure they have 2 more runs in them.  Had Pierce taken the 21 mil. option, we probably wouldn't have had Daniels, Robinson and Shaq.  There is no way this team would have enough depth given the cap constraints.  This team would have been more of a longshot to make the ECF if Pierce took the option.   

I see it as the C's are paying in the future for the chance to extend their window for two years right now.  Why Pierce would be motivated to sign a 4-year deal with KG and Ray out the door in two years is a bit of a question, but he wants to retire here and also get paid, and there is no way he was leaving 32 mil on the table by signing a 2-year deal.

The way I look at it, the C's are gonna have to trade for a solid vet to have any chance at attracting a bigger name in the future.  They'll have Rondo, an aging Pierce and lots of money, but I think trades and not FA signings are the way that Ainge will set this team up again for another run.  That may mean trading a big contract  a year early, say Ray or KG, to another contender afther this year's run.          

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I don't like the 4-year deal for Pierce, but I don't see what choice Ainge had right now if he wanted to add to the roster for a run this year -- and maybe next -- but not sure they have 2 more runs in them.  Had Pierce taken the 21 mil. option, we probably wouldn't have had Daniels, Robinson and Shaq.  There is no way this team would have enough depth given the cap constraints.  This team would have been more of a longshot to make the ECF if Pierce took the option.    I see it as the C's are paying in the future for the chance to extend their window for two years right now.  Why Pierce would be motivated to sign a 4-year deal with KG and Ray out the door in two years is a bit of a question, but he wants to retire here and also get paid, and there is no way he was leaving 32 mil on the table by signing a 2-year deal. The way I look at it, the C's are gonna have to trade for a solid vet to have any chance at attracting a bigger name in the future.  They'll have Rondo, an aging Pierce and lots of money, but I think trades and not FA signings are the way that Ainge will set this team up again for another run.  That may mean trading a big contract  a year early, say Ray or KG, to another contender afther this year's run.          
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

Good post, and that makes a lot of sense

I brought up using the MLE in '11 to add a vet like Prince, or Butler or David West (if they would take that low amount)

But if we are not contenders in February of 2012, and it won't affect being able to offer 1 max deal, then I'd waste that extra cap space on a quality starter by trading an exp contract

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

It was a compromise, Pierce wanted to help the Celtics salary cap situation this year so he didn't take the 21.5m option. But in return the Celtics had to give Pierce a contract that would provide him with financial security. The point is Pierce helped the Celtics out so the Celtics rewarded him for it. 
    Posted by Fierce34

Yes

The point of this thread has nothing to do with the compromise and PP helping the team now for security later, no complaints w/ extension

He could have been paid 16-15-13-15 over the next 4 years, and was not

That still saves Wyc 11 million this year

Instead the one year over his 4 year extesnion that his cap # HAD to be LOWEST it ended up being HIGHEST, and that is frustrating to me b/c i look at the future

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

In Response to Re: Pierce contract breakdown : Yes The point of this thread has nothing to do with the compromise and PP helping the team now for security later, no complaints w/ extension He could have been paid 16-15-13-15 over the next 4 years, and was not That still saves Wyc 11 million this year Instead the one year over his 4 year extesnion that his cap # HAD to be LOWEST it ended up being HIGHEST, and that is frustrating to me b/c i look at the future
    Posted by rameakap

Don't you dare tell me to actually read what you said. I want to complain!

Sections
Shortcuts