Pierce is hurting the team and he is their best scorer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Pierce is hurting the team and he is their best scorer

Pierce is a player who is so good he can continue to hurt the team out of fear of the unknown. Paul gets his points and makes so many mistakes he ends up hurting the team in crucial spots.  His ability to drive to the basket and finish is noticably worse, his free throw shooting is suddenly erratic, and his fall back shot around the free throw line has become unreliable.  

Yes he is still their best offensive player but in last night's game why was Terry in there getting no shots at the end of the game. Terry not Nowitski in 2011 led the Mavs in games 5 and 6 to a title against the Heat.  Paul last night just keep making mistakes and firing away.  It is shocking that with KG and Terry on the court they got no looks.  His turnovers are also alarming.

What to do with this great player. Rameakap mentioned making him a 6th man, I think Paul at the two for part of game and then the three in this capcity could be very effective. What Paul does better than most now is shoot threes of the dribble.  He is still a formidable weapon and if Doc can get him to see the reality of how he can be effective it can work.  If Pierce continues having a good game and then killing them in others as he racks up points and hogging the ball the team will lose its ability to utilize its depth.  He is a problem if not dealt with that will continue to hurt the team. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: Pierce is hurting the team and he is their best scorer

what this team needs is a masher 5 to get rebounds.  nothing works right until you can clean the glass and take care of the very basics.  more than one inside scoring threat is also needed to balance the floor.

watch for pierce to have as much grace with any 6th man role as ray allen did which i would say was not all that much at the end of the day.  signing him 3 long for 15M each was a mistake.  it was 4 but i think the team has the option on #4

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Pierce's game has been deteriorating slightly the last couple years. as does every player around as long as he's been.  .. and yes, hes fumbling the ball away more often off of what looks like bad decisions and forcing the play..

That said, remember that Doc turns to Pierce to be the MAN down the stretch.. he want PP to take control in the 1/2 court and work his magic.. so dont get too upset with PP when he doesnt look so hot.. hes still a real good player but hes also put in this position by Doc

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

Pierce is a player who is so good he can continue to hurt the team out of fear of the unknown. Paul gets his points and makes so many mistakes he ends up hurting the team in crucial spots.  His ability to drive to the basket and finish is noticably worse, his free throw shooting is suddenly erratic, and his fall back shot around the free throw line has become unreliable.  

Yes he is still their best offensive player but in last night's game why was Terry in there getting no shots at the end of the game. Terry not Nowitski in 2011 led the Mavs in games 5 and 6 to a title against the Heat.  Paul last night just keep making mistakes and firing away.  It is shocking that with KG and Terry on the court they got no looks.  His turnovers are also alarming.

What to do with this great player. Rameakap mentioned making him a 6th man, I think Paul at the two for part of game and then the three in this capcity could be very effective. What Paul does better than most now is shoot threes of the dribble.  He is still a formidable weapon and if Doc can get him to see the reality of how he can be effective it can work.  If Pierce continues having a good game and then killing them in others as he racks up points and hogging the ball the team will lose its ability to utilize its depth.  He is a problem if not dealt with that will continue to hurt the team. 

This is so silly, but here goes anyway.

1.  Yes he doesn't finish as well as he used to.  But still our best, plus he gets to the foul line better than 90% of the players in the league.

2. Free throw shooting erratic?  He is shooting over his career average.  He is at 82%  OMG  he missed a couple the other night.  The sky is falling.

3. "Last night he kept firing away"   Of course he was only 8-12 from the field.  If this is firing away I hope he keeps it up.

4. "His turnovers are also alarming"   Hiis career TO average is 2.9,  his average this year is 1.9.   One less than his career average.  Alarming?   BTW  all big time scorers generally have high  turnover averages.

Lets add in that he is also above his career average for rebounds,  which we need in the worst way.  One other thing,  He had the ball put in his hands to run the offense without Rondo last night and did OK.  As I recall he wasn't the one missing the shots in the 4th quarter.  Blame him all you want but at least back it up with facts instead of just throwing crap up against the wall and letting it stick.   I bet Doc would disagree with everything you have said.

With that being said,  no he isn't a superstar anymore,  but a very good player.  The only thing that his isn't doing well now is his shooting percentage.  Of course his 3pt percentage is up from .370 to 430. 

Pierce has always had posters that enlarge his every mistake so I guess it will just continue.  If he is one of our main problems  we are in deep $hit.

Typical overreaction to us not hitting anything in the 4th quarter,  being killed on the offensive boards,  and a couple calls not going our way.  We competed with a very good team on their home court on the back end of back to back games and took them to the wire.

Oh well I guess your right,  he is hurting the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

1.  Yes he doesn't finish as well as he used to.  But still our best, plus he gets to the foul line better than 90% of the players in the league.

2. Free throw shooting erratic?  He is shooting over his career average.  He is at 82%  OMG  he missed a couple the other night.  The sky is falling.

3. "Last night he kept firing away"   Of course he was only 8-12 from the field.  If this is firing away I hope he keeps it up.

4. "His turnovers are also alarming"   Hiis career TO average is 2.9,  his average this year is 1.9.   One less than his career average.  Alarming?   BTW  all big time scorers generally have high  turnover averages.

Lets add in that he is also above his career average for rebounds,  which we need in the worst way.  One other thing,  He had the ball put in his hands to run the offense without Rondo last night and did OK.  As I recall he wasn't the one missing the shots in the 4th quarter.  Blame him all you want but at least back it up with facts instead of just throwing crap up against the wall and letting it stick.   I bet Doc would disagree with everything you have said.

With that being said,  no he isn't a superstar anymore,  but a very good player.  The only thing that his isn't doing well now is his shooting percentage.  Of course his 3pt percentage is up from .370 to 430. 

Pierce has always had posters that enlarge his every mistake so I guess it will just continue.  If he is one of our main problems  we are in deep $hit.

Typical overreaction to us not hitting anything in the 4th quarter,  being killed on the offensive boards,  and a couple calls not going our way.  We competed with a very good team on their home court on the back end of back to back games and took them to the wire.

Sorry we just don't agree.  The stats you quote certainly make a case against me.  The reality is if you watch you know exactly what I mean.  If you watched that game and could not see Paul was forcing it and not looking for Terry and KG you are just flat out wrong.  Paul is there best offensive player but he needs to stop forcing it so much.  It may be that Doc needs to have his other players trying to make plays and let them know.  Paul is a great player, but he needs to include his other teammates and see if they can spread the defense.  It could be that Green and Lee are not up to it. Terry however is arguably more of a game breaker than Pierce and he is getting way to many shots.

I have always supported Pierce,  this year and last if you don't see the fall of in his big play capability with his fallaway and moves to the basket you just are not watching.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

No chance Pierce becomes a 6th man this season.

That's why I keep saying an Amare would be an upgrade. Even better if it's Al Horford.

The Celts need another scorer/star player to be considered a legit contender. 

It's been proven that Pierce struggles against Lebron and KG can't score on a regular basis against that Heat defense.

The Heat have no bigs to protect the rim or control the boards. That's what the Celts need to exploit!

Nobody has yelled louder about the need for a big man on this team. Al Horford would be great, what are the odds of him coming to the Celtics?  Varajeo is more likely than he is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Pierce's game has been deteriorating slightly the last couple years. as does every player around as long as he's been.  .. and yes, hes fumbling the ball away more often off of what looks like bad decisions and forcing the play..

That said, remember that Doc turns to Pierce to be the MAN down the stretch.. he want PP to take control in the 1/2 court and work his magic.. so dont get too upset with PP when he doesnt look so hot.. hes still a real good player but hes also put in this position by Doc

I tend to agree with you.  Although, he definitely isn't a very good ball handler.  Maybe Doc needs to not depend on Paul all of the time towards the end of games. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

His defense which has always been bad, is now terrible!!  He would have no chance of staying with a two guard, which is why you can't play hin at the two!! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

[/QUOTE]
    I tend to agree with you.  Although, he definitely isn't a very good ball handler.  Maybe Doc needs to not depend on Paul all of the time towards the end of games. 

[/QUOTE]

Anybody's name come to mind? RayRay's in SoBe leaving KG and R9R to step up.

R9R is the obvious choice to fill the void but you don't see him inclined to do so.

Looks like JET by default.

Pud

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

R9R is the obvious choice to fill the void but you don't see him inclined to do so.

Pud

Allen is averaging around 9 points a game over the last 4 Heat games

Rondo is averaging the most points of his career this year.

Once again...what are you talking about?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Nobody has yelled louder about the need for a big man on this team. Al Horford would be great, what are the odds of him coming to the Celtics?  Varajeo is more likely than he is.

Horford is expensive compared to Varejao.

There's no need for the Cavs to trade Varejao.

The Hawks, if they want to rebuild, might want to dump the 36m for years left on Horford's contract. This scenario only happens if the Hawks want to rebuild.

But if Ainge can get Varejao, I'm 100% happy. The only reason why I'm not including Varejao on my list of potential targets is because I don't think Varejao to the Celts is possible.

It would be great to have Horford playing for the Celtics. He would be my #1 choice of all the bigs we could possibly get!!  We could use another banger coming off the bench, Tyler Hansbrough may be a good guy for the C's to go after!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Sorry we just don't agree.  The stats you quote certainly make a case against me.  The reality is if you watch you know exactly what I mean.  If you watched that game and could not see Paul was forcing it and not looking for Terry and KG you are just flat out wrong.  Paul is there best offensive player but he needs to stop forcing it so much.  It may be that Doc needs to have his other players trying to make plays and let them know.  Paul is a great player, but he needs to include his other teammates and see if they can spread the defense.  It could be that Green and Lee are not up to it. Terry however is arguably more of a game breaker than Pierce and he is getting way to many shots.

I have always supported Pierce,  this year and last if you don't see the fall of in his big play capability with his fallaway and moves to the basket you just are not watching.

Concord,  I generally agree with your posts and consider you a good poster.  I just don't agree with this one.  As far a watching the game as you said,  well I guarantee I watch as much or not more than you do.  That is unless you watch the games twice, as I normally do.  A lot of times I see what posters say here, go back and watch the game to see if they were right or not. 

As far as Pierce not looking for Terry and KG.  That is wrong. His assists are slightly down,  which can be attributed to RR dominating the ball, which I can't think of a better person for that job.  Do you pay attention to how much time is on the clock a lot of the time that he gets the ball? His forcing shots, while not finishing like he use to is what gets him to the line more than anyone on the team, which I consider a huges asset.  Free throws.  A lot of shots are have to shots,  which of course around here are referred to as hero shots.   As I said his shooting percentage is down but I have no doubt it will come up with time, as it usually does.   You bring up Terry,  I was one of the first around here to say that he is a big time player.  I have watched him numerous times since I live in the Dallas area.  You saw it today.

As I have been saying for a while we are developing chemistry and to be patient.  Even Doc is saying you will see what he is trying to do later in the year.   People have their opinions  which I won't change,  nor will they change mine.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from darkman20. Show darkman20's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Pud

• What's he talking about is the fact that Rondo is in his prime and needs to score more to be consider an elite PG, he needs to stop pounding the ball and be able to play without the ball and hit jumpers to free up other players, which doesn't appear like it will ever happen. So Celtics have only style of offense they can play, and that's Rondo pounding the ball.  

Rondo in his prime: 14pts ppg on 12 shots a game is not very good.  Ray is 37, only takes 7 shots a game and is still averaging 12pts ppg, there is no doubt in my mind that if Ray took 15shots a game, he would be averaging in the 20s, still.     

Pierce is holding back JG...JG should start and have Pierce come off the bench...but I don't think he can accept the role graciously like Ray did.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to darkman20's comment:

Pierce is holding back JG...JG should start and have Pierce come off the bench...but I don't think he can accept the role graciously like Ray did.

ROTFLMAO

Yea Ray accepted it well.  So much he went to Doc and asked to come off the bench.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Concord,  I generally agree with your posts and consider you a good poster.  I just don't agree with this one.  As far a watching the game as you said,  well I guarantee I watch as much or not more than you do.  That is unless you watch the games twice, as I normally do.  A lot of times I see what posters say here, go back and watch the game to see if they were right or not. 

As far as Pierce not looking for Terry and KG.  That is wrong. His assists are slightly down,  which can be attributed to RR dominating the ball, which I can't think of a better person for that job.  Do you pay attention to how much time is on the clock a lot of the time that he gets the ball? His forcing shots, while not finishing like he use to is what gets him to the line more than anyone on the team, which I consider a huges asset.  Free throws.  A lot of shots are have to shots,  which of course around here are referred to as hero shots.   As I said his shooting percentage is down but I have no doubt it will come up with time, as it usually does.   You bring up Terry,  I was one of the first around here to say that he is a big time player.  I have watched him numerous times since I live in the Dallas area.  You saw it today.

As I have been saying for a while we are developing chemistry and to be patient.  Even Doc is saying you will see what he is trying to do later in the year.   People have their opinions  which I won't change,  nor will they change mine.

Try watching it without the rose colored glasses, my friend!!  HaHa

• You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

If you watch that much you may see more. I feel strongly that Paul doesn't look to pass enough and that the key to this year is that a great clutch performer who can create a shot is on the court with PP.  Terry is special and they need to look for him. If they do Paul will get many better looks.

Your comment about Paul being forced to shoot because of a clock winding down is valid. Looking for Terry and not handling the ball so much in crunch time may set Paul free.  I had mixed feelings about this post because I like Paul so much.  But I think Paul needs to adjust for the better of the team. Your points are at least as valid as mine since I am basing my comments on feelings not stats. When it comes to the Celtics I love to be wrong when it means they play better.

ROTFLMAO

Yea Ray accepted it well.  So much he went to Doc and asked to come off the bench.

That's exactly what Doc said.  Are you calling Doc a big phat liar?  If you are, than that's on Doc.

Regardless, Ray accepted gracious and didn't created trouble for the team.  After the season ended, contract ended, in my opinion, Ray can do whatever he wanted to do.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Pud

What's he talking about is the fact that Rondo is in his prime and needs to score more to be consider an elite PG, he needs to stop pounding the ball and be able to play without the ball and hit jumpers to free up other players, which doesn't appear like it will ever happen. So Celtics have only style of offense they can play, and that's Rondo pounding the ball.  

Rondo in his prime: 14pts ppg on 12 shots a game is not very good.  Ray is 37, only takes 7 shots a game and is still averaging 12pts ppg, there is no doubt in my mind that if Ray took 15shots a game, he would be averaging in the 20s, still.     

• This is because Ray Allen has absolutely no ability to get his own shot off.  He can't get 15 shots a game. 

• This post has been removed.

I beg to differ.  I have seen several Miami games this year, and Ray has been able to go 1on1 a lot more than when in boston and he's produced.

But why does everyone keep harping on Ray, he's gone: get over it people...stop the hAte.     

Anyways, this thread was about the Celtics Holy Cow: Pierce, and what needs to be done about his poor defense and lack of focus at times.  

This is because Ray Allen has absolutely no ability to get his own shot off.  He can't get 15 shots a game. 

True.

Ray's gone, Rondo assists up. Enough said.

Ray Allen stalker much?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

This is because Ray Allen has absolutely no ability to get his own shot off.  He can't get 15 shots a game. 

True.

Ray's gone, Rondo assists up. Enough said.

Ray Allen stalker much?

Pud brought up Ray Allen.  I commented on what he said about Ray Allen.  Read and comprehend much?

• Sections
    Shortcuts