Player Rankings By Position & Availability

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

Player Rankings By Position & Availability

Here is a Player Power Ranking list by position I put together combining lists from CBS Sports, ESPN and various other basketball reference rankings. I noted the top 6 in each position due to a large falloff after 6 in most cases.These reflect performance based on last years overall, defensive, and efficiency stats, as well as win shares.

Some interesting points: I completely expected Marc Gasol to be in the Centers list, but he came up just short along with DeAndre Jordan, and Andrew Bogut. Al Jefferson snuck in front of them due to CBS Sports #1 Center ranking! I think it is due to his incredible offensive efficiency, but Kudos to Big Al. For those that don't see Cousins value, the guy ranked in the top 5 in every category, so Y'all must be blind.

The point of this exercise was to pinpoint who out of these top 30 players the Celtics could legitimately acquire to pair with Rondo that could be the building blocks of a contender, sooner rather than later.  Or at least give Rondo enough hope that he might actually stick it out. Which is why I included their current length of contract. There could be a guy or two, like Marc Gasol that could move the needle but really these are the top players the Celts would need to get to stave Danny off from scrapping the Rondo centered rebuild. 

FWIW Rondo fell at #10 in PGs behind Tony Parker, Damian Lillard, and Kyle Lowry. Rose was injured for too much of the season to listed, but he could be considered in the top PGs this year if healthy. The NBA is just saturated with good PGs right now. Including young guns like MCW, Kemba Walker, Bledsoe, and maybe Marcus Smart, Dante Exum ect. Just Wow! 

The Shooting Guard position looks weak, but there are some up and comers like Olidipo, Klay Thompson, Wiggins, who could bolster that position in the future.

One last note I might make is some players like Davis, Nowitzki, and Iguodala were listed at different positions from different sources, I basically included them in my list as to where I would position them. Feel free to disagree. 

POINT GUARD

Steph Curry: 3 years left UFA 2017/18

John Wall: 5 years left, UFA 2019/20

CP3: 3 years left with a 4th year P.O.

Russel Westbrook: 3 years left, UFA 2017/18 

Kyrie Irving: just signed 5 year $90mil contract. UFA 2019/20 

Goran Dragic: 1 year left with a 2nd year P.O.

SHOOTING GUARDS

James Harden: 4 years left, UFA 2018/19

Kobe Bryant: Who Cares

Joe Johnson: 1 year left, UFA 2015/16

Dwayne Wade: Again, who cares

Andre Iguodala: 3 years left, UFA 2017/18

Demar Derozen: 3 years left, UFA 2017/18

SMALL FORWARD

Kevin Durant: HA HA HA!

Lebron James: Nope.

Paul George: 5 years left, UFA 2019/20

Carmelo Anthony: Just Signed 5 year deal with P.O. in 2018/19

Dirk Nowitzki: Lifetime Maverick

Kawhi Leonard: 2 years left, last year is a Club Option, RFA 2016/17

POWER FORWARD

Kevin Love: Lebron's Ballboy for the next 4-5 years.

Blake Griffin: 4 years left, UFA 2018/19

Lamarcus Aldridge: 1 year left, UFA 2015/16

Tim Duncan: Spurs Lifer

Serge Ibaka: 3 years left, UFA 2017/18

Zach Randolph: 3 years left, UFA 2017/18

CENTER

Joakim Noah: 2 years left, UFA 2016/17

Dwight Howard: 3 years left, the last one being a P.O.

Anthony Davis: 3 years left, the last 2 being Club Options, RFA 2017/18

Andre Drummond: 3 years left, the last 2 being Club Options, RFA 2017/18

Al Jefferson: 2 years left, the last one being a P.O. UFA 2016/17

Demarcus Cousins: 4 years left, UFA 2018/19

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: Player Rankings By Position & Availability

The real question may be which of these players can we sign once we dump Rondo because it seems none of them want to play with him.

Nice job on the list

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

So we build through the draft as it appears most of the top guys at their positions are not going to be available soon, either through long contracts, aging out, or are team specific lifers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

The most likely free agent targets could be LaMarcus Aldridge, Joe Johnson, or Big Al IF he opts out of his contract. IMO Joe Johnson seems like the most likely (but by no means the most attractive) option here, as Aldridge (barring a monumental collapse by Portland) looks like he will be a Blazer for a long time.  But Johnson is 33, and it's tough to tell how much more he has left in the tank.

Maybe if we were to sign him and say Marc Gasol (the #1 most desired free agent next season). The combination of the two may be enough to put the Celtics in the ECF conversation over the next 3 years or so. 

The idea of the Celtics signing the top 3 free agents (Rondo, Johnson, Gasol) next season sounds a lot like a pipe dream to me. And really if that is the best case scenario is it really good enough in the long run?

IMO to make keeping Rondo worth it and give them a REALISTIC chance to eventually become a contender the Celts would have to add a top 3 Free Agent, AND trade for another player on this list that A: has a shorter than 3 year contract. B: Can either play SF or Center, or is a HUGE upgrade over Bradley at SG, and C: Isn't that teams obvious franchise player moving forward, like Davis or Drummond.  That breaks the options down to Joakim Noah, Iguodala, and Kawhi Leonard. 

So maybe Jefferson opts out, and wants to come back, then Iggy seems unhappy in GS and you can trade Smart, Bass, and Sully for him.  Rondo-Bradley-Iggy-Olynyk-Jefferson with Green opting out. Or Rondo-Iggy-Green-Olynyk-Big Al with Bradley off the bench.  That's a pretty legit team...I guess.

Anything less than that quality of offseason moves next year would just be an effort in futility. The Celtics would either become the Hawks for the next 5+ years, or Rondo walks at the end of this year and they are starting from scratch all over again.