Please help w/ questions on salary extensions, Perk/Baby

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Please help w/ questions on salary extensions, Perk/Baby

In Response to Please help w/ questions on salary extensions, Perk/Baby:
    Everyone said Danny offered Perk the max he could be kept at b/c we are over the cap... 4 years 22 million was the # bantered about... this makes no sense. Aren't you allowed to start a player @ 20% above their previous years salary in a new extension and then give them 15% raises a year? Can't you pay your own player over 6 years while other teams can only offer a max of 5. My estimated math says we could have given Perk, who made 4.5 mil this year, a 6 year 48 million extension. I am a supporter of the trade, but isn't it factually wrong to say the best we could give was 4/22??
    Posted by rameakap

I believe your thought process and calculations are correct. However, I don't think that Danny offered him the "max he could be paid". I think Danny offered him the "max he thought Perk was worth", and Perk turned it down thinking he could get more(correctly) on the open market.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Please help w/ questions on salary extensions, Perk/Baby:
    In Response to Please help w/ questions on salary extensions, Perk/Baby : I believe your thought process and calculations are correct. However, I don't think that Danny offered him the "max he could be paid". I think Danny offered him the "max he thought Perk was worth", and Perk turned it down thinking he could get more(correctly) on the open market.
    Posted by rkarp

I agree. Perk would never get the deal he got from OKC if he wanted to remain a Celtic. 

Same with Glen Davis, if he asks for too much money the Celts should let him go. 

The player the Celts need to re-sign immediately after the season is Krstic. Shaq will most likely be a non-factor next season and JO will probably retire after this season. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Believe it came down to Danny not thinking Perk was worth what the market would bear.  Think they could've paid him more than what they allegedly offered, but I don't think they wanted to commit. 

Seems Danny's rationale is that having Perk long term with a big contract would maybe slow down the post big 3 rebuilding process.  If they don't think he's a core guy worth re-signing at that cost, let's just hope the post big 3 Celtics include someone who can man the 5. 

Whether this trade help or hurts in the playoffs, time will tell.  I can get the argument for the future, still wondering about the present benefit.     

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Rame:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q47

Hope that helps.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In Response to Re: Please help w/ questions on salary extensions, Perk/Baby:
    As for Baby... I don't want to let him walk, I want him extended at fair value or signed and traded. Baby makes 3.3m this year... my est. math says his extension would go: 4m - 4.6m - 5.3m - 6.1m - 7m... that is 5/27... fair in my eyes. That should be the max we can offer Baby. This is based on the 20% raise yr 1, 15% raises every year after that I'd always felt was part of the current CBA. Is this true? I'd see Baby wanting more than what amounts to 75% of a teams full MLE. I'd see many teams outbidding us for him, even if he is a 6th or 7th man on a contender. If he were signed and traded we could only trade him for a player making 75-125% of his contract. So 3.2 million minimum and 5 million max?
    Posted by rameakap

I don't see BBD resigning for 5/$27. Not when Perk got 4/$32. BBD w/b looking for 5/$40. BBD's buddy Tyrus Thomas may be a good comp that BBD is shooting for

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fryber. Show fryber's posts

I found this link which I think explains the issue better....

Sections
Shortcuts