Please help w/ questions on salary extensions, Perk/Baby

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Please help w/ questions on salary extensions, Perk/Baby

Everyone said Danny offered Perk the max he could be kept at b/c we are over the cap... 4 years 22 million was the # bantered about... this makes no sense.

Aren't you allowed to start a player @ 20% above their previous years salary in a new extension and then give them 15% raises a year? Can't you pay your own player over 6 years while other teams can only offer a max of 5.

My estimated math says we could have given Perk, who made 4.5 mil this year, a 6 year 48 million extension. I am a supporter of the trade, but isn't it factually wrong to say the best we could give was 4/22??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Please help w/ questions on salary extensions, Perk/Baby

As for Baby... I don't want to let him walk, I want him extended at fair value or signed and traded.

Baby makes 3.3m this year... my est. math says his extension would go:

4m - 4.6m - 5.3m - 6.1m - 7m... that is 5/27... fair in my eyes.

That should be the max we can offer Baby. This is based on the 20% raise yr 1, 15% raises every year after that I'd always felt was part of the current CBA.

Is this true? I'd see Baby wanting more than what amounts to 75% of a teams full MLE. I'd see many teams outbidding us for him, even if he is a 6th or 7th man on a contender.

If he were signed and traded we could only trade him for a player making 75-125% of his contract. So 3.2 million minimum and 5 million max?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In Response to Please help w/ questions on salary extensions, Perk/Baby:
    [QUOTE]Everyone said Danny offered Perk the max he could be kept at b/c we are over the cap... 4 years 22 million was the # bantered about... this makes no sense. Aren't you allowed to start a player @ 20% above their previous years salary in a new extension and then give them 15% raises a year? Can't you pay your own player over 6 years while other teams can only offer a max of 5. My estimated math says we could have given Perk, who made 4.5 mil this year, a 6 year 48 million extension. I am a supporter of the trade, but isn't it factually wrong to say the best we could give was 4/22??
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]
    I believe your thought process and calculations are correct. However, I don't think that Danny offered him the "max he could be paid". I think Danny offered him the "max he thought Perk was worth", and Perk turned it down thinking he could get more(correctly) on the open market.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Please help w/ questions on salary extensions, Perk/Baby:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Please help w/ questions on salary extensions, Perk/Baby : I believe your thought process and calculations are correct. However, I don't think that Danny offered him the "max he could be paid". I think Danny offered him the "max he thought Perk was worth", and Perk turned it down thinking he could get more(correctly) on the open market.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

I agree. Perk would never get the deal he got from OKC if he wanted to remain a Celtic. 

Same with Glen Davis, if he asks for too much money the Celts should let him go. 

The player the Celts need to re-sign immediately after the season is Krstic. Shaq will most likely be a non-factor next season and JO will probably retire after this season. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Believe it came down to Danny not thinking Perk was worth what the market would bear.  Think they could've paid him more than what they allegedly offered, but I don't think they wanted to commit. 

Seems Danny's rationale is that having Perk long term with a big contract would maybe slow down the post big 3 rebuilding process.  If they don't think he's a core guy worth re-signing at that cost, let's just hope the post big 3 Celtics include someone who can man the 5. 

Whether this trade help or hurts in the playoffs, time will tell.  I can get the argument for the future, still wondering about the present benefit.     

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Rame:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q47

Hope that helps.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]As for Baby... I don't want to let him walk, I want him extended at fair value or signed and traded. Baby makes 3.3m this year... my est. math says his extension would go: 4m - 4.6m - 5.3m - 6.1m - 7m... that is 5/27... fair in my eyes. That should be the max we can offer Baby. This is based on the 20% raise yr 1, 15% raises every year after that I'd always felt was part of the current CBA. Is this true? I'd see Baby wanting more than what amounts to 75% of a teams full MLE. I'd see many teams outbidding us for him, even if he is a 6th or 7th man on a contender. If he were signed and traded we could only trade him for a player making 75-125% of his contract. So 3.2 million minimum and 5 million max?
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]
    I don't see BBD resigning for 5/$27. Not when Perk got 4/$32. BBD w/b looking for 5/$40. BBD's buddy Tyrus Thomas may be a good comp that BBD is shooting for

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Rame: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q47   Hope that helps.
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

Thank you that does help

Everyone else, love the input, but you just seemed to say Danny didn't feel Perk was worth ____ and then didn't help me w/ my $ questions

If the max raise from a previous year is 10% and then 10% of the FIRST year new salary only... then Perk's 4.5 becomes 5.4 in '12, 6.3 in '13, 7.1 in '14 and 8 in 2015.

That is still 26.8 million.

Danny did NOT offer the max years (5 or 6) or money if it was 4/22.

So my issue remains with all the writers who claim Danny offered him the max we could under the CBA and was forced to deal him (even tho i like the trade). He could have offered 5/34.7 or 6/43.5 around there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Please help w/ questions on salary extensions, Perk/Baby : I don't see BBD resigning for 5/$27. Not when Perk got 4/$32. BBD w/b looking for 5/$40. BBD's buddy Tyrus Thomas may be a good comp that BBD is shooting for
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

BBD def wants Ty Thomas $, I mentioned that another time on here...

Si if its only 10% raises... then is the MAX we can offer Baby  5/21.8???

3.7 - 4 - 4.4 - 4.7 - 5???

YUCK YUCK YUCK

No way he stays for that.

We might as well renounce his rights and spend the MLE on him if we want to keep him. 

I was hoping to SIGN him for like 5/35 and TRADE him for someone.

Baby/Avery and our pick for O.J. Mayo maybe

MLE players cannot be signed and traded of course, gotta wait till Dec. 15th

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fryber. Show fryber's posts

I found this link which I think explains the issue better....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

GREAT article thanks, it does help.

Still have a question, it now applies to Baby... and I'll bold the part of the article that probably answers it

In other words, the most we could offer Perk in an extension was as follows:

$5,127,429.84 (10.5% raise over last year of contract)
    $5,614,650.97 (raise of $487,221.13, equal to 10.5% of prior contract’s last year value)
    $6,101,872.10 (raise of $487,221.13, equal to 10.5% of prior contract’s last year value)
    $6,589,093.23 (raise of $487,221.13, equal to 10.5% of prior contract’s last year value)

Total: 4 years, $23,433,046.14 (which is quite a bit less than the MLE)

On the other hand, this summer we could have used "Bird rights" to sign Perk to up to a six year deal, with a starting salary of up to approximately $16.2 million in the first year, with annual raises equal to 10.5% of the first year value.  Obviously, Perk was never going to be given a contract like that, but an asking price of 5 years, $50 million wouldn't have been outrageous.

To inject some personal opinion here, it's probably unfair when people criticize Perk for "turning down a contract extension", since the offer was capped by the CBA.  It's unlikely that the team ever expected Perk to accept its extension offer, and the offer would have been used as a jumping off point should the team and Perk have wished to revisit negotiations.

So like Perk Baby could only be offered the above mentioned like 4/17

But this summer he can be offered up to any amount starting at 16m per and for up to 6 years. So we can sign Baby for anything we want pretty much and trade him if we want to? Phew...

I know this is under the current CBA, there will likely be a drop of 1 year on length and some % lower in $ for max deals if I have heard the rumblings correctly. Stern wanted like a 30% cut. So likely 10% at least will happen.

Sections
Shortcuts