Poll - please vote

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Poll - please vote

What set the Celtics back further in the 1990's?

A.) Red Auerbach turning down confirmed trade offer for McHale of Detelef Schrempf and Sam Perkins that his front office wanted to accept, then trading Ainge for Kleine/Pinckney instead and drafting bust Michael Smith over Tim Hardaway, who again everyone else in the organization wanted, all in the span of 5 months in 1989, right before the 90's began.

or

B.) Dave Gavitt not trading a 39 year old Parish and McHale's broken body that limped through 56 games in 1992 after Bird retired 'for whatever he could get' and instead signing Xavier McDaniel, allowing the team to appear in one extra playoffs after the end had obviously arrived.

What set the 1990's back further? What Red did in 1989 (choice A) or what Gavitt did/didn't do after Bird retired in 1992 (choice B)?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Poll - please vote

Len Bias and Reggie Lewis dying

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+10

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

I watched the old allstar game the other day with Reggie Lewis...so sad.

Booze and drugs are useless.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yes two tragic deaths happened, but there were still men in charge of running the organization.

So which franchise leader hurt the 1990's more? Red by passing on a Hardaway, Schrempf Ainge and Perkins group added to the Bird, Lewis, Parish and Shaw crew in 1990.

Or Gavitt... for failing to trade McHale and Parish in 1992 when they had no value and instead signing Xavier McDaniel and slipping into the playoffs one last time with 2 members of the big 3?

Fiercy can bully and laugh and point to Red being the biggest winner of all time if he wants to. It doesn'd change the facts that he blew it in 1989 and Gavitt was left to pick up the pieces and never got a fair shot. What is delusional is thinking Gavitt set the C's back further in 1992 than Red did in 1989.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]who gives a flying f#%$????[/QUOTE]

Fiercy

He starts a random thread out of nowhere attacking Dave Gavitt, lying about him (saying Gavitt signed Dominique Wilkins when it was Carr/Red) and then ripping Gavitt for being unable to do in 1992 what Ainge did with Pierce and KG.

He claimed that set the Celtics back more in the 1990's than Red blowing the 1989 trade deadline and draft... complete baloney, and the guy has refused to see the forest for the trees since, idiotically claiming that b/c Gavitt didn't take Red's mess and rebuild the organization it was more his fault than Red's.

Just typical, astounding, Fiercy ignorance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Fungus' strategy for winning... invest nickles to bait rame into investing quarters keeping this long ago decided "debate" going FOREVER hoping that rame makes a silly mistake!

Sooner  or later, rame runs out of time/energy/quarters/patience.

Fungus swoopes in and makes the last lame post, declaring himself to be the winner.

That's how this ends... unless you declare victory and move on, leaving him holding his "package" only.

Consider moving on.

You've made your points many time over.... while fungus is simply wearing you down, hoping to frustrate you into oblivion with his continued idioacy.

Pud

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fungus' strategy for winning... invest nickles to bait rame into investing quarters keeping this long ago decided "debate" going FOREVER hoping that rame makes a silly mistake!

Sooner  or later, rame runs out of time/energy/quarters/patience.

Fungus swoopes in and makes the last lame post, declaring himself to be the winner.

That's how this ends... unless you declare victory and move on, leaving him holding his "package" only.

Consider moving on.

You've made your points many time over.... while fungus is simply wearing you down, hoping to frustrate you into oblivion with his continued idioacy.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Ok, good point, I'll end it.

I have invested masterpieces of fact and reality into crushing his zero proof garbage responses.

He lost and everyone on this board (if they even care about a 1990's debate) knows it. Fiercy can put another in the L column against me.

I think it is like 26-2. OUCH.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Pud

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

towards the end of his tenure, time caught up with Red. Like when "he" drafted Joe Forte over Tony Parker.

"You have the NBA lady, Chrissy, she comes to me and it was the 19th pick. She gives me a Celtics cap, says 'they're gonna pick you.' And it was like three minutes left on the clock, you know you get five minutes to pick somebody, and the at one minute she comes back and she takes the cap and she's like 'oh no, they changed their mind,' and they took my cap back and I was like 'what?!' and Pop stepped in an drafted me." --Tony Parker

One minute away from being a Celtic.  Parker went on to explain that he had two workouts for the Celtics and then head coach Jim O'Brien told him they wanted to pick him if the Spurs didn't trade up to get him.  He added that O'Brien and then general manager Chris Wallace wanted to draft him, but team president and legend of legends Red Auerbach wanted Joe Forte instead.  Simmons then quipped that after that draft was when the Celtics "took the car keys away from Red."

http://www.bloguin.com/crossoverchronicles/2013-articles/march/that-time-tony-parker-was-almost-a-celtic.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

towards the end of his tenure, time caught up with Red. Like when "he" drafted Joe Forte over Tony Parker.

"You have the NBA lady, Chrissy, she comes to me and it was the 19th pick. She gives me a Celtics cap, says 'they're gonna pick you.' And it was like three minutes left on the clock, you know you get five minutes to pick somebody, and the at one minute she comes back and she takes the cap and she's like 'oh no, they changed their mind,' and they took my cap back and I was like 'what?!' and Pop stepped in an drafted me." --Tony Parker

One minute away from being a Celtic.  Parker went on to explain that he had two workouts for the Celtics and then head coach Jim O'Brien told him they wanted to pick him if the Spurs didn't trade up to get him.  He added that O'Brien and then general manager Chris Wallace wanted to draft him, but team president and legend of legends Red Auerbach wanted Joe Forte instead.  Simmons then quipped that after that draft was when the Celtics "took the car keys away from Red."

http://www.bloguin.com/crossoverchronicles/2013-articles/march/that-time-tony-parker-was-almost-a-celtic.html

[/QUOTE]

Time catches up with us all at the end... even the legends.

What a fascinating vignette!

Pud

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Len Bias and Reggie Lewis dying"

This is the clear winner and it isn't close. The tragedy around the franchise is what caused the hard ship more than any other factor. 

As for Red not trading McHale for Detlef, let it go. Detlef never won anything in this league. 

p.s. most posters including myself are not interested in the over-personalized feuds of yourself and Fierce and so on. Stick to basketball or start your own feud thread please.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Red said right after Reggie died that it would take 20 years for the  Celtics to recover............

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I would never vote against Red.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Len Bias and Reggie Lewis dying"

This is the clear winner and it isn't close. The tragedy around the franchise is what caused the hard ship more than any other factor. 

As for Red not trading McHale for Detlef, let it go. Detlef never won anything in this league. 

p.s. most posters including myself are not interested in the over-personalized feuds of yourself and Fierce and so on. Stick to basketball or start your own feud thread please.

[/QUOTE]

Spanky:

Most posters were never interested in the overpersonalized feuds between you and those you publically put  on your IGNORE list.

p.s. Okay for you but not for others?

Pud

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

If we're talking about this in fun or for hypothetical purposes, then yes, I would have preferred that Red trade McHale (loyalty and sympathies aside) and got Schrempf and Perkins.  But I do agree that Bias and Lewis' early deaths are really what hurt this team for a long time.

What I am happiest about, however, is that our GM witnessed what happened in the 1990s in Boston and chose not to re-live that era.  He traded Pierce and Garnett and got the Nets to mortgage their future for two guys who are clearly on the downward trajectory.  Pierce and Garnett will always be remembered here, and they may be equally remembered for spurring the current rebuilding process if those later years Nets picks end up in the lottery, which they certainly could.  The Nets have no way of getting young talent on their roster through the draft and the talent they do have is old (Garnett 37 , Pierce 36, Johnson 32), getting older (Williams 30 this year) or has career-threatening injuries (Lopez - broken right foot twice).  Good luck Nets.  And thank goodness Danny lived through the 90's seeing what letting your stars age in place can get you -- irrelevance.    

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If we're talking about this in fun or for hypothetical purposes, then yes, I would have preferred that Red trade McHale (loyalty and sympathies aside) and got Schrempf and Perkins.  But I do agree that Bias and Lewis' early deaths are really what hurt this team for a long time.

What I am happiest about, however, is that our GM witnessed what happened in the 1990s in Boston and chose not to re-live that era.  He traded Pierce and Garnett and got the Nets to mortgage their future for two guys who are clearly on the downward trajectory.  Pierce and Garnett will always be remembered here, and they may be equally remembered for spurring the current rebuilding process if those later years Nets picks end up in the lottery, which they certainly could.  The Nets have no way of getting young talent on their roster through the draft and the talent they do have is old (Garnett 37 , Pierce 36, Johnson 32), getting older (Williams 30 this year) or has career-threatening injuries (Lopez - broken right foot twice).  Good luck Nets.  And thank goodness Danny lived through the 90's seeing what letting your stars age in place can get you -- irrelevance.    

[/QUOTE]

+1

Sections
Shortcuts