Poor Marcus Smart-Exceptional talent but..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Poor Marcus Smart-Exceptional talent but..

He won't ever get to see the light of day. With Rondo manning the point Smart won't get but about 15 minutes per game. If Ainge felt that Vonleh was too raw he should have gone with McBuggets.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Re: Poor Marcus Smart-Exceptional talent but..

Maybe Smart and Pressey will get the lion share of minutes on the second night of back to backs?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe Smart and Pressey will get the lion share of minutes on the second night of back to backs?

[/QUOTE]

so you're suggesting 28 year old rondo "needs rest"?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

No. Its just that on the whole that would be best for Pressey and Smarts development. They need minutes to get better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Trade him dammit 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

We also have enough quality guards to play uptempo with strong pressure defense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

I want to agree with this thread but after watching Brad in Butler and with the C's, dont discard him from playing Smart before Rondo. Brad will give minutes to the guy that deserves them whether is Rondo or Smart. It will be interesting!  And if Smart proves he mixes better, then trading Rondo will be an option. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

The one who could take mins from Smart this year is Thornton, not Rondo.  DA has already said Smart can play both guard spots.  Rondo and Smart, Smart and Bradley, Rondo and Bradley.  Thornton will get mins, for trade purposes, I think.  Next year, Rondo and Thornton come off the books, so unless we re-sign Rondo, look for Smart to log a bunch of mins at both spots this year.  I also agree that Rondo and Bradley have missed time in their careers, so Smart will be available to play should either one get hurt.

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The one who could take mins from Smart this year is Thornton, not Rondo.  DA has already said Smart can play both guard spots.  Rondo and Smart, Smart and Bradley, Rondo and Bradley.  Thornton will get mins, for trade purposes, I think.  Next year, Rondo and Thornton come off the books, so unless we re-sign Rondo, look for Smart to log a bunch of mins at both spots this year.  I also agree that Rondo and Bradley have missed time in their careers, so Smart will be available to play should either one get hurt.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

[/QUOTE]

Marcus Smart will average north of 25 minutes a game, mark it down. I decided.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trade him dammit 

[/QUOTE]

Trade Pressey with him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

In response to guyfromtex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He won't ever get to see the light of day. With Rondo manning the point Smart won't get but about 15 minutes per game. If Ainge felt that Vonleh was too raw he should have gone with McBuggets.

[/QUOTE]

A lot 0f GM's will wish they had drafted McBuckets because he is way better than advertised.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rondo is under contract for only one year, if his isnt traded he is probably gone anyway.  Smart could get 30 minutes a game between pg and sg. Non-issue

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rondo is under contract for only one year, if his isnt traded he is probably gone anyway.  Smart could get 30 minutes a game between pg and sg. Non-issue

[/QUOTE]

Agree 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to CeltsFanInNH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree 

[/QUOTE]

I don't know, we have Bradley, Thornton, and maybe Young at SG.  If Rondo stays the whole season or even until trading deadline, Smart might not get that much time.  Smart will likely have some growing pains, he is the likely candidate to loose out on playing time, at least at the beginning of the season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to scubber's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree 

[/QUOTE]

I don't know, we have Bradley, Thornton, and maybe Young at SG.  If Rondo stays the whole season or even until trading deadline, Smart might not get that much time.  Smart will likely have some growing pains, he is the likely candidate to loose out on playing time, at least at the beginning of the season.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but if he does it is going to be because the other guys are better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to scubber's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but if he does it is going to be because the other guys are better.

[/QUOTE]

Other players will be better because Smart need time to get up to speed.  New players most always do need time to learn and adjust to the NBA, even most of the great ones.  Maybe Smart is different but it is not a bad idea to ease him into the situation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to romneywins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trade him dammit 

[/QUOTE]

Trade Pressey with him.

[/QUOT

+1000000000

[object HTMLDivElement]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

You don't draft a guy 6th overall and give him only 15 min per game. That's what Pressey got last year. I'd think Smart is getting 20 per by the end of the year. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I see something like this:

SG - Bradley 26 minutes, Thornton 14 mins, Smart 8 mins

PG - Rondo 34 mins, Smart 14 mins

Pressey is the odd man out, you don't play 5 guards

Thornton can earn himself all of Smart's SG mins if the kid struggles. Young should start the year in the D-League. Of course where does this leave Evan Turner? Does he steal Smart's 8 mins at SG or does Stevens bench Wallace and give Turner 18-22 mins behind Green?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I think fans are being unrealistic about Smarts' value to our team. A lot of well respected authorities on talent have given us high marks on drafting Smart. He has been selected to the USA select team that has a impressive list  past players and invitees. The one thing I have noticed in Smart is that is a player that helps other players play to their strengths and gives his teammates the opportunities to showcase their bestskills and abilities. That talent alone makes him a valuable asset to any team way more than his present lack of pure shooting skills is a liability. I could write a very long list of players that became all stars and superstars by working on their stroke after entering the NBA than I could write a list of players that had more definable assets that became all stars and superstars by improving their basic mindsets. I'm not saying Smart is as good as those I'm about to mention but, MJ, Kobe ,Drexler, Stockton, Havlichek, Gus Williams all were said to have shooting deficiencies when they entered the league and they turned out all right. Give me a player with a great mentally tough mindset , work ethic and possibly deficient in teachable skills over a super talented, highly skilled player withposibly deficient mindset that may or may not improve any day of the week

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Here is my question of the day - ole' Mitchy boy has said Randle was a lot higher on their draft board than 7.  This off-season, they have added Lin, and are now trying to get Bledsoe.  If Smart was available at 7, who would they have taken?

If PHI didn't have Carter-Williams, who would they really have taken at 3?

I was shocked ORL took Gordon at 4, and I think they will regret it.  But they got Payton at 12.

I will admit I wanted Vonleh, but I'm very happy now with Smart.  I agree with the above posters....he will play more than 24 mins per game at both guard spots.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think fans are being unrealistic about Smarts' value to our team. A lot of well respected authorities on talent have given us high marks on drafting Smart. He has been selected to the USA select team that has a impressive list  past players and invitees. The one thing I have noticed in Smart is that is a player that helps other players play to their strengths and gives his teammates the opportunities to showcase their bestskills and abilities. That talent alone makes him a valuable asset to any team way more than his present lack of pure shooting skills is a liability. I could write a very long list of players that became all stars and superstars by working on their stroke after entering the NBA than I could write a list of players that had more definable assets that became all stars and superstars by improving their basic mindsets. I'm not saying Smart is as good as those I'm about to mention but, MJ, Kobe ,Drexler, Stockton, Havlichek, Gus Williams all were said to have shooting deficiencies when they entered the league and they turned out all right. Give me a player with a great mentally tough mindset , work ethic and possibly deficient in teachable skills over a super talented, highly skilled player withposibly deficient mindset that may or may not improve any day of the week

[/QUOTE]

Great post.

Since early in his career at OSU I have compared Smart to Dennis Johnson.

Johnson was a big strong combo-guard who played more SG at the start of his career than PG. They are the same height. They did not have the conditioning and nutrition programs 25-40 years ago when DJ was playing that they do now. DJ played well over his 185lb listed weight and probably would have been a chiseled 215lb beast like Smart if he played today.

DJ was the guy Bird described as the best teammate he ever had. Despite being a CAREER 17% shooter from beyond the arc (wow!) he made 6 all-defensive 1st teams, 5 all-star teams, 3 all-defensive 2nd teams, won 3 NBA titles and also made two all-NBA teams. 

Before being traded to Boston for the priviledge of being a full-time PG and dishing to Bird, Parish and McHale, DJ spent his age 23-28 prime as a 16ppg-4rpg-4apg 2+ STOCKS (steals + blocks) force at SG where he known as an ultra-competitive headcase who often clashed with teammates/coaches. He had an attitude that was likely worse than Smart's but like Marcus just wanted to win and in Seattle in 1979 he did, taking home Finals MVP at age 24. All while shooting in the low 40's from the field, mid 70's from the line and not utilizing the 3-point line at all.

THAT is the kind of player Marcus Smart can be. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great post.

Johnson was a big strong combo-guard who played more SG at the start of his career than PG. They are the same height. They did not have the conditioning and nutrition programs 25-40 years ago when DJ was playing that they do now. DJ played well over his 185lb listed weight and probably would have been a chiseled 215lb beast like Smart if he played today.

DJ was the guy Bird described as the best teammate he ever had. Despite being a CAREER 17% shooter from beyond the arc (wow!) he made 6 all-defensive 1st teams, 5 all-star teams, 3 all-defensive 2nd teams, won 3 NBA titles and also made two all-NBA teams. 

Before being traded to Boston for the priviledge of being a full-time PG and dishing to Bird, Parish and McHale, DJ spent his age 23-28 prime as a 16ppg-4rpg-4apg 2+ STOCKS (steals + blocks) force at SG where he known as an ultra-competitive headcase who often clashed with teammates/coaches. He had an attitude that was likely worse than Smart's but like Marcus just wanted to win and in Seattle in 1979 he did, taking home Finals MVP at age 24. All while shooting in the low 40's from the field, mid 70's from the line and not utilizing the 3-point line at all.

[/QUOTE]
    This might be off subject but, I always said DJ was an excellent shooter. The reasons DJ fg% were so low is that with the bigs he played with he often used a missed shot as an assist. In both Seattle and Boston he would take a shot that would go right to his big when they got rebounding position. Look back at old game footage with Bird, McHale and Chief. If teams fronted the entry pass he just they just turned around and took the shot off the rebound they always seemed to be in perfect position for. He probably gave them 10 rebounds a game between them in games they were being fronted, when teams double any of the 3 off him he was money. Now if Marcus Smart can as good as DJ , I am totally good with that.

I've always thought DJ never got enough credit hence the semi rant.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great post.

[/QUOTE]
    DJ rarely impressed until the game was on the line. At that point, he was one of the best money players around. That's what made DJ so incredible.

I see MSmart following in that same tradition. Smart wants the ball at crunch time and, like DJ, isn't afraid of the big moment.

Pud

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

DJ rarely impressed until the game was on the line. At that point, he was one of the best money players around. That's what made DJ so incredible.

I see MSmart following in that same tradition. Smart wants the ball at crunch time and, like DJ, isn't afraid of the big moment.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

I don't think you make NINE all-defensive teams and FIVE all-star teams by 'rarely impressing' until the game is on the line.

If you mean strictly shooting, like throwing up a 2-9 through 3 quarters going 0-2 on 3's, before going 4-5 in the 4th and 1-1 on 3's, then I would tend to agree with you.

At least you can see the comparison.