Poor Marcus Smart-Exceptional talent but..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Re: Poor Marcus Smart-Exceptional talent but..

DA did play with DJ so maybe that's why he drafted him , that would be freaking sweet if turned out to be as good as DJ.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

DJ rarely impressed until the game was on the line. At that point, he was one of the best money players around. That's what made DJ so incredible.

I see MSmart following in that same tradition. Smart wants the ball at crunch time and, like DJ, isn't afraid of the big moment.

Pud

I don't think you make NINE all-defensive teams and FIVE all-star teams by 'rarely impressing' until the game is on the line.

If you mean strictly shooting, like throwing up a 2-9 through 3 quarters going 0-2 on 3's, before going 4-5 in the 4th and 1-1 on 3's, then I would tend to agree with you.

At least you can see the comparison. 

Maybe I should qualify my statement to suggest that he rarely impressed me... until crunch time. I was more focused on the Big Three to whom DJ and Ainge certainly deferred and were lesser stars. I didn't know much about him during his previous stay with Seattle.

However, I grew to expect that DJ would stand out on both ends of the court when the game was up for grabs. They called him "money" for good reason... and that reddish hair and freckles would glow when the game got serious. And that's when I judge the worth of a player.

Forget about what happened during the first three quarters. The last 5-8 minutes of the game is the only part that interests me.

DJ would morph from a fairly unremarkable dude... into a cold blooded  assassin.

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

DJ rarely impressed until the game was on the line. At that point, he was one of the best money players around. That's what made DJ so incredible.

I see MSmart following in that same tradition. Smart wants the ball at crunch time and, like DJ, isn't afraid of the big moment.

Pud

I don't think you make NINE all-defensive teams and FIVE all-star teams by 'rarely impressing' until the game is on the line.

If you mean strictly shooting, like throwing up a 2-9 through 3 quarters going 0-2 on 3's, before going 4-5 in the 4th and 1-1 on 3's, then I would tend to agree with you.

Maybe I should qualify my statement to suggest that he rarely impressed me... until crunch time. I was more focused on the Big Three to whom DJ and Ainge certainly deferred and were lesser stars. I didn't know much about him during his previous stay with Seattle.

However, I grew to expect that DJ would stand out on both ends of the court when the game was up for grabs. They called him "money" for good reason... and that reddish hair and freckles would glow when the game got serious. And that's when I judge the worth of a player.

Forget about what happened during the first three quarters. The last 5-8 minutes of the game is the only part that interests me.

DJ would morph from a fairly unremarkable dude... into a cold blooded  assassin.

Pud

Dj never deferred to anyone, and he wasn't "fairly unremarkable" ever. The guy is in the Hall of Fame.  He also took about as many shots as Parish and McHale.

He was one of the best players in the NBA when on Seattle.

You don't know much about DJ it seems.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

Maybe Smart and Pressey will get the lion share of minutes on the second night of back to backs?

so you're suggesting 28 year old rondo "needs rest"?

Rondon't needs trading badly!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

Wasn't crazy about the Smart pick at first, but after researching the kid a little and watching his draft video, I have a really good feeling about him. With his attitude, personality, and the relentless way he plays the game, he has a chance to become a fan favorite. Seems like a bright kid in his interviews. I don't really even hold the shoving incident against him - yeah, it was stupid and hurt his team, but the guy provoked him and I really think Marcus learned his lesson.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Smart and Rondon't are two entirely different players. Rondon't is a done entity in Boston. Book it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:

Pud

Dj never deferred to anyone, and he wasn't "fairly unremarkable" ever. The guy is in the Hall of Fame.  He also took about as many shots as Parish and McHale.

He was one of the best players in the NBA when on Seattle.

You don't know much about DJ it seems.

During their 5 year run together from '84-'88 that featured 4 finals appearances and 2 wins these are about the shot attempt per game averages:

Bird - 20.5

McHale - 14

Parish - 12.5

DJ - 11.5

Ainge - 9.5

Those are crazy numbers. They seem about right for Parish. Bird should have been played less mins and not run into the ground, but if you are going to play 38-40 mins a game as the #1 scorer you should take 20 shots.

The fact that McHale averaged 57-60% FG shooting and DJ, who didn't shoot 3's well to say the least, had 42-45% FG shooting, his #'s should have been down and those of Danny and McHale been up. 5 DJ shots produced like 4 points, while 3 McHale and 2 Ainge shots (one a 3) produced 7 points. 

The Celts would have been an even bigger scoring monster if DJ was taking only 7 shots a game and McHale took 17 (like he did in only 1 season and averaged 26.1 points on 60% shooting) and Ainge was taking 11. Granted Gerald Henderson blocked Ainge in '84 and Max blocked McHale in '84 and '85. 

DJ would have averaged 9 assists instead of 6.5. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

First off Pressey doesn't need minutes, he's a career backup at best. 

Smart will get plenty of minutes before this is all said and done. It's highly unlikely Rondo will remain on this team for the full season. 

I'm confused by the OP - you do realize Rondo is likely to be traded right? I would understand your confusion if Rondo was on a long term deal. 

On the other hand, Bradley will eat into Smart's playing time as well, now that he is on a big new contract the Celts will be obligated to play him. I don't get that. 

But, I think Smart will end up at the point anyhow

• You have chosen to ignore posts from fbombfury. Show fbombfury's posts

In response to shamrock1000's comment:

Wasn't crazy about the Smart pick at first, but after researching the kid a little and watching his draft video, I have a really good feeling about him. With his attitude, personality, and the relentless way he plays the game, he has a chance to become a fan favorite. Seems like a bright kid in his interviews. I don't really even hold the shoving incident against him - yeah, it was stupid and hurt his team, but the guy provoked him and I really think Marcus learned his lesson.

Waiting for Smart to pull a "World Peace Jr" play.  Enjoy!

World Peace Jr

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to fbombfury's comment:

World Peace Jr

At least he won't pull a Kobe and invite some Colorado hotel employee to come up to his room to "fix his TV".

• You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Pud

Pud

Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought DJ to be fairly unremarkable... especially when compared to his Big Three teammates.

Bird, McHale and Parish all waited the minimum amount of time before being inducted into the HOF.... 5 years and first ballot inductees.

DJ waited 20 years and had been dead 3 years before inducted into HOF in 2010.

Talk about underrated!!!

Pud

• You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

In response to fbombfury's comment:

World Peace Jr

At least he won't pull a Kobe and invite some Colorado hotel employee to come up to his room to "fix his TV".

good point. give me a hot headed, near riot instigator over a slimy date-rpist any day....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Smart as he appears to feel he is, you'd think he'd be able to fix his own tv. Or hire a professional.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I know, right - fbomb keeps bringing up "stuff" only to be humiliated by the goat  - not GOAT - koME Bryant.  No matter what Smart did at OKST, goat Bryant will always be the King of Bad Behavior  - the GOAT of predatory behavior, if you will.

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

I know, right - fbomb keeps bringing up "stuff" only to be humiliated by the goat  - not GOAT - koME Bryant.  No matter what Smart did at OKST, goat Bryant will always be the King of Bad Behavior  - the GOAT of predatory behavior, if you will.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

LOL...Heds, that's an insult to goats...

In response to mellymel3's comment:

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

LOL...Heds, that's an insult to goats...

[object HTMLDivElement]

• You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[/QUOTE]

Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought DJ to be fairly unremarkable... especially when compared to his Big Three teammates.

Bird, McHale and Parish all waited the minimum amount of time before being inducted into the HOF.... 5 years and first ballot inductees.

Talk about underrated!!!

Pud

[/QUOTE]

so in other words you're saying bird has the judgement of a bozo in naming DJ the best teamate he ever played with?  i have dozens of games, post season, regular season of the 1980s celts.  DJ was not a coaster at all.   if anyone was a coaster it was maxwell.  DJ didn't take nights off, possessions off or quarters off.  he was pretty damn solid all the way around. 

if you remember correctly, in 84 against the lakers, DJ was begging to guard trashic johnson and KC Jones wasted a few games before he made that decision and DJ really stepped up on both ends....

not sure how you could call him unremarkable.  DJ's premature decline was notable and noticeable and unfortunate.  that was from the years of heavy coke use.  but he was always clutch not an unremarkable coaster.  he had a rapport with particularly bird that lasted all game every game and they played off each other in case you don't remember.  but DJ passed well with all of the big 3 too.  his shot was functional and unlike ron dough there are few times i can ever remember his shot not being "good enough" to keep people honest.  DJ might have had a rough first half in a big game but he'd come back and put the ball in the hole just fine.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Trade rondo 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:

Trade rondo 

nobody wants a 13 million dollar turkey who plays 8 million dollar ball and plans to be "difficult to sign" by all the writing on the wall to date. 

ron dough is going to end up with the short straw.  he will twist in the wind after walking from the C's and end up signing for a pay drop over what he is making this year- an undeserved and ridiculous 13m

• You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Talk about underrated!!!

Pud

so in other words you're saying bird has the judgement of a bozo in naming DJ the best teamate he ever played with?  i have dozens of games, post season, regular season of the 1980s celts.  DJ was not a coaster at all.   if anyone was a coaster it was maxwell.  DJ didn't take nights off, possessions off or quarters off.  he was pretty damn solid all the way around. 

if you remember correctly, in 84 against the lakers, DJ was begging to guard trashic johnson and KC Jones wasted a few games before he made that decision and DJ really stepped up on both ends....

not sure how you could call him unremarkable.  DJ's premature decline was notable and noticeable and unfortunate.  that was from the years of heavy coke use.  but he was always clutch not an unremarkable coaster.  he had a rapport with particularly bird that lasted all game every game and they played off each other in case you don't remember.  but DJ passed well with all of the big 3 too.  his shot was functional and unlike ron dough there are few times i can ever remember his shot not being "good enough" to keep people honest.  DJ might have had a rough first half in a big game but he'd come back and put the ball in the hole just fine.

• Bird was certainly no bozo. DJ was the supreme teammate often underappreciated/overshadowed because of the star power  of his higher profile Celtic teammates.

He has a deserved place on my all time Celtic team.

At clutch time, there was no one better. NONE!

On a different but related note, I am offended though by those who make the case that like DJ, Rondo wasn't a good shooter either... as though Rondo and DJ should ever be mentioned in the same breath.

Pud

• You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

DJ is undervalued here because defense is an afterthought here...

In response to wozzy's comment:

DJ is undervalued here because defense is an afterthought here...

[object HTMLDivElement]

100% agree - this is why the Spurs are so good now.  They are copying this team from the 80's.

If you took each starter off that team, they could be a star on any other team.  Bird could have led the league in scoring, McHale and Ainge could have averaged over 20 ppg on another team.  And DJ DID those things in SEA and PHO.

Kind of like the Beatles - great individually, but put them together and they're unbeatable!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

Talk about underrated!!!

Pud

Bird was certainly no bozo. DJ was the supreme teammate often underappreciated/overshadowed because of the star power  of his higher profile Celtic teammates.

He has a deserved place on my all time Celtic team.

At clutch time, there was no one better. NONE!

On a different but related note, I am offended though by those who make the case that like DJ, Rondo wasn't a good shooter either... as though Rondo and DJ should ever be mentioned in the same breath.

Pud

• Uhh you already said he "rarely impressed you" until the last five minutes of the game and that you didn't know anything about his career when he was on Seattle.

Now he is on your all time Celtics team? uh-huh. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

puddinpuddin's posts won't stand up to much in the way of scrutiny. usually that's not an issue. 

bp

In response to xxcodyfxx's comment:

Trade rondo 

nobody wants a 13 million dollar turkey who plays 8 million dollar ball and plans to be "difficult to sign" by all the writing on the wall to date. 

ron dough is going to end up with the short straw.  he will twist in the wind after walking from the C's and end up signing for a pay drop over what he is making this year- an undeserved and ridiculous 13m

THIS^

• Sections
    Shortcuts