Posey or Battier?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Posey or Battier?

Interesting article about wing player sign and trade options for the C's:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/423152-boston-celtics-look-to-add-wing-defender-with-sign-and-trade-options

Which player would you trade Sheed's contract for, Posey or Battier?

I like S. Battier! Go get him DA!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

Re: Posey or Battier?

In Response to Posey or Battier?:
    Interesting article about wing player sign and trade options for the C's: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/423152-boston-celtics-look-to-add-wing-defender-with-sign-and-trade-options Which player would you trade Sheed's contract for, Posey or Battier? I like S. Battier! Go get him DA!!
    Posted by BCSP

Battier for sure.... that would be a good deal if Ainge could pull it off.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Overall Battier

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Battier!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

battier no question

but as employee#8 is quick to remind us, Houston has no intention of trading him

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

They are both very good at what they do.  However, I'd take Battier because he's younger and has not been injured as much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The only guy the Celtics are even talking about signing is Eddie House as their new motto is you can never have enough of the same type players. What they need is a Big Shaqtus and a solid defender for the wing after that it's all about playing the games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

Posey, hands down.

I've seen Battier play all season long on FSN-Houston, he doesn't hit the 3 pointer like he used to.

Trevor Ariza surpassed him on the Rockets as the best defensive player, and from what I read, he has Arthritis!!

Thumbs down like Siskel & Ebert.

Posey all the way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

battier plays kobe on defense very well also.......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

Not the past 2 seasons. Everytime the Lakers played the Rockets, Kobe tortured Battier.

Kobe hit fadeaway after fadeaway in his GRILL. All that "faceguarding" he did wasn't too effective.

Trevor Ariza, on the other hand, guarded Kobe pretty well. He stole Kobe's lunch a couple of times, and even blocked some of his shots.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

Wayne, as I understand your post, you prefer Posey over Battier because 1) Battier isn't hitting 3s the way he used to, and 2) Ariza is a better defender than Battier.

There are a couple of minor problems with these points.  It's true that Battier does not hit 3s the way he used to (36% last season), but Posey was even worse (33.5%).  Battier shot 40% from the field overall, while Posey shot 37%.

In addition, Battier played more minutes on a better team.  And even on a minutes-adjusted basis, Battier had more assists, steals, blocks and points, and fewer turnovers.

As for Ariza's being a better defender than Battier, that may be true.  But for a RELEVANT comparison, we need to look at whether Battier is a better defender than Posey.  From what I've seen, it's not even close - Battier is currently better than Posey.

How does the above translate into "Posey - hands down"?  To me the above equates to "Posey - thumbs down".

Put me down as favoring Battier. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

In Response to Re: Posey or Battier?:
    Wayne, as I understand your post, you prefer Posey over Battier because 1) Battier isn't hitting 3s the way he used to, and 2) Ariza is a better defender than Battier. There are a couple of minor problems with these points.  It's true that Battier does not hit 3s the way he used to (36% last season), but Posey was even worse (33.5%).  Battier shot 40% from the field overall, while Posey shot 37%. In addition, Battier played more minutes on a better team.  And even on a minutes-adjusted basis, Battier had more assists, steals, blocks and points, and fewer turnovers. As for Ariza's being a better defender than Battier, that may be true.  But for a RELEVANT comparison, we need to look at whether Battier is a better defender than Posey.  From what I've seen, it's not even close - Battier is currently better than Posey. How does the above translate into "Posey - hands down"?  To me the above equates to "Posey - thumbs down". Put me down as favoring Battier. 
    Posted by jerrycole

But wouldn't you prefer a guy that already knows the system, players, and coach?

According to your percentages, it's not really a big difference as I can see. Like I said earlier, I watch ALL of the Rockets games because I live in Houston. Other basketball fans might have NBA All-Access, but I doubt they watch all the Rockets games like I do. A lot of times during the season, Battier couldn't even play because of tendonitis in his knees, recurring ankle problems, and other nagging injuries.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

Wayne, give it up.  Battier was a starter on a better team, Posey a sub.  There is no area in which Posey was superior to Battier.  And despite his "nagging injuries", Battier played better, and more, than Posey. 

By the way, you may not think that 3 percentage points is much of a difference, but in this case it says that last year Battier was an 8% better shooter than Posey - and that's not a small difference.  Think of it this way: Posey was a worse overall shooter than Rondo was when taking jump shots! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

yeah.  it's officially time to move on from Posey.  he was huge on the title team but wasn't worth the contract he got.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

Wayne, give it up.  Battier was a starter on a better team, Posey a sub.  There is no area in which Posey was superior to Battier.  And despite his "nagging injuries", Battier played better, and more, than Posey.  By the way, you may not think that 3 percentage points is much of a difference, but in this case it says that last year Battier was an 8% better shooter than Posey - and that's not a small difference.  Think of it this way: Posey was a worse overall shooter than Rondo was when taking jump shots! 
    Posted by jerrycole

No, YOU give it up. Battier is not coming here. Posey has 2 championship rings, Battier will NEVER win anything.

Posey is MY choice, and he's been here before and was a BIG factor in the NBA Finals in 08.

But this is coming from a guy who said Rajon Rondo is the BEST PG in the NBA in that other thread.

Okay buddy.

Undecided

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Celts can not attract either one. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

isnt Battier a starter?  If so, why would he come here to come off the bench?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ojmega. Show ojmega's posts

isnt Battier a starter?  If so, why would he come here to come off the bench?
    Posted by jdm894g

bench people are acting like he will play 40 minutes

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Battier would be awesome but I can't see why Houston would give him up when they are looking to make a run. I think most folks here think Posey is the same player he was when he was here - I don't think so. Having said that he would be a nice catch - but his salary I believe is too high for the Celts to get him without giving up something significant beyond Sheed's contract.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

wayne, wayne, wayne - your record on this thread so far includes two completely irrelevant arguments for Posey, one pathetic attempt to dismiss the fact that Battier out-performed Posey in every way last season, even when their records are minutes-adjusted, and then a major mis-statement of a post I made on a different thread. 

I'm going to assume that your mis-statement was due to a lack of reading comprehension rather than a deliberate distortion.  If you had read the post in question more carefully, you would have seen that I didn't say that Rondo was the best PG in the league.  I said that CPaul was the best PG, but that IF CPaul comes back at less than 100% of his pre-injury level, then Rondo would be the best.  I based that assessment on a tightly-reasoned argument that included the top four PG efficiency ratings corrected for the defensive abilities of those four players.  

In addition, you keep throwing arguments into the discussion, and then changing to different arguments when the previous argument is shown to be wrong.  Your latest such attempt was the change from attempting to make the case for your PREFERENCE for Posey to a completley unsupported assertion that Battier wouldn't come here.

You are just digging a deeper hole, man.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

wayne, wayne, wayne - your record on this thread so far includes two completely irrelevant arguments for Posey, one pathetic attempt to dismiss the fact that Battier out-performed Posey in every way last season, even when their records are minutes-adjusted, and then a major mis-statement of a post I made on a different thread.  I'm going to assume that your mis-statement was due to a lack of reading comprehension rather than a deliberate distortion.  If you had read the post in question more carefully, you would have seen that I didn't say that Rondo was the best PG in the league.  I said that CPaul was the best PG, but that IF CPaul comes back at less than 100% of his pre-injury level, then Rondo would be the best.  I based that assessment on a tightly-reasoned argument that included the top four PG efficiency ratings corrected for the defensive abilities of those four players.   In addition, you keep throwing arguments into the discussion, and then changing to different arguments when the previous argument is shown to be wrong.  Your latest such attempt was the change from attempting to make the case for your PREFERENCE for Posey to a completley unsupported assertion that Battier wouldn't come here. You are just digging a deeper hole, man.
    Posted by jerrycole

Okay. So basically you're saying Rondo is better than Deron Williams. Okay, cool.

Too bad you're the ONLY person who believes that.

Honestly, I wouldn't put Rondo over Derrick Rose, my other favorite PG besides Chris Paul, but that's a topic for another debate.

But why so much hate against Posey? Did he take your girlfriend?

Seriously though, Posey was one of my favorite players on the championship squad, the name of this thread is "Posey or Battier", my pick was Posey, so what's the point in having a thread of who you would like, and everyone says the same person?(Battier)

Posey knows the system, Battier is not the player he once was, I've seen all 82 Rockets games.

Posey is MY CHOICE.

Battier is NOT coming here.

Case closed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Battier is better than Posey

but anyone who wants to 'move on' from Posey better offer up some insight into who you think the big defensive battle tested SF is that we can bring in instead.

We need that guy to be a aserious contender. If you don't want Posey then who is is? Tayshaun Prince? Josh Howard? Wilson chandler? All would cost more. New Orleans would GIVE us Posey and he would play decent ball.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

To: Wayne

1) The people who rank Deron Williams ahead of Rondo are only thinking about offense.  They are, by and large, the same people who rank Nash ahead of Rondo, and for the same reason. 

What they don't seem to realize is that Rondo's total quantifiable production is equal to DWill's and only a bit behind Nash's.  Since Rondo is a better defender than DWill, that breaks the tie between them.  And since Nash plays NO defense, Rondo is easily better than him

Sorry to break it to you, but the production level of your boy DRose doesn't even qualify him for fifth place.  And he is no great shakes as a defender, either.

2) You are certainly entitled to your preference for Posey over Battier.  Just don't pretend that it's a rational preference.  (As you stated, Posey was one of your "favorite" players on the '08 team - not one of the best, not one of the most productive, just "favorite".)

As for your argument that Battier isn't the player he used to be - so what?  You seem to forget that neither is Posey.  My judgment is based on their respective performances LAST SEASON - a season in which Battier completely outplayed Posey in almost every quantifiable aspect of basketball.

And - once again - you continue to confuse "preference" with "likelihood of obtaining".  The question being debated wasn't "which of the two is it more likely that the Celtics could get?"  It was "which of the two would you prefer to get?"   By your logic, you would prefer Posey over any NBA All-Star simply because it is more likely that we could get Posey.    Pretty silly, don't you think?

Sections
Shortcuts