Post mortem

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

Re: Post mortem

In Response to Re: Post mortem:
    It is not his rotations with the Oklahoma that matter, it was the integrated Celtic rotations that matted. That changed. Strong side defensive rotations were key to the Celtics defense. Add to that a guy that is quick enough to cover the week side just incase, the defensive chemisty changes significantly. From what I have read in another thread,and the article posted, if Doc had to do it over again, he would have waited until the season was over. Why do you think that is the case?
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime

Honestly, I don't care what the case is. What was facing us was overpaying a non-offensive threat who didn't even play down the stretch. That would have hamstrung us for years. Look above to my previous post as to our starting five after next year if we payed Perkins and made zero moves. Is he the cornerstone to build this franchise on? I think not. We got something of value for him. They were not cornerstone players either but we got two of them and now have cap space in two years. Why can't people see that is the reason he was let go. We would not have beaten the Heat with Perk in the middle and absolutely nobody to guard LeBron on the wings.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Surprise, Perkins and the Thunder move on.
    Posted by MinnesotaCelticsFan

Perkins and Rondo were dragged to a title in 2008, no reason to think the Thunder can't afford him the same luxury this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Post mortem : Honestly, I don't care what the case is. What was facing us was overpaying a non-offensive threat who didn't even play down the stretch. That would have hamstrung us for years. Look above to my previous post as to our starting five after next year if we payed Perkins and made zero moves. Is he the cornerstone to build this franchise on? I think not. We got something of value for him. They were not cornerstone players either but we got two of them and now have cap space in two years. Why can't people see that is the reason he was let go. We would not have beaten the Heat with Perk in the middle and absolutely nobody to guard LeBron on the wings.
    Posted by terrrapin

Is the water warm?

All the talk about the age, etc. and the last two years the youngest of the starting five played some role in the playoffs ending prematurely.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Terrrapin,

The near future is all about years of rebuilding, and not championships. The Big three have a shelf life, they are not young anymore. This year was about winning, and as Doc said, if he had to do it over again, he would have waited until after the season was over.

They blew it.

Dudder, As Doc said, it was about chemistry and playing together, not puzzle pieces. Sometimes the whole is worth more than the some of the parts.

By the way, Perk is still playing. Most players in the league give him his defensive due, unlike some fans.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

I still believe that if the Celtics starting five had been intact, they win it all.

The Celtics are probably more team oriented than any other NBA team. Taking five talented guys and putting them together, does not necessarily reenact the team chemistry of 2008. Almost as important as skill and ability, are how well they work together on defense and offense, and subjugate their egos.

Even though KG had a substandard offensive post season, and Pierce and Allen had a substandard defensive post seasons, if Rondo, West, and Shaq had been healthy, the group dynamic would have been dramatically improved. We may even have won with out the Perk trade.

The big three are not what they once were, but the fire still burns inside.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Neither player has ever been an all NBA defensive player as you suggest. However:

Its called going... going... gone.

There is a difference between the required good level from the past to something less. In 2008, I would have rated both players as good defenders. This year I would not.  As you say, age catches up with everyone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

Terrrapin, The near future is all about years of rebuilding, and not championships. The Big three have a shelf life, they are not young anymore. This year was about winning, and as Doc said, if he had to do it over again, he would have waited until after the season was over. They blew it. Dudder, As Doc said, it was about chemistry and playing together, not puzzle pieces. Sometimes the whole is worth more than the some of the parts. By the way, Perk is still playing. Most players in the league give him his defensive due, unlike some fans.

Injuries, Injuries, Injuries.......including Perkins. If Shaq is heathly the Celtics win. That is why he was traded. If his defense is so wonderful why doesn't or wasn't he playing the last five minutes for us or OKC. We had a 6-7 non shot blocking rebouding guy in BBD playing those minutes. C'mon, I'm tired of hearing this crap. If he wasn't traded, we would have gotten nothing for him like Tony Allen. It was the right trade. Injuries, Injuries and Injuries and I'm not saying that as an excuse.....it was a fact.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

In Response to Re: Post mortem :   Another surprise.....4 points 2 blocks and 3 rebounds in 31 minutes. Get your head out of the sand. We weren't gonna pay a no offensive center to be our centerpiece player for the next 5 years? Give me a break. Why do you think Ainge is trying to clear cap after all these guys contracts are up. It was a good run. Nobody knows what next year will bring. I again say thank you Danny that this wouldn't have been our offensive line-up in two years.....Rondo, Tony Allen, Pierce, BBD and Perkins. Wow, what firepower there. With a bench of Erden, Harangoody, West, Bradley and Daniels coming back? Does that give you any pause or not?
    Posted by terrrapin

You are right about Perk.  Collison out scored, out rebounded, and  BLOCKED MORE SHOTS,  then the great Perk in game 7. He is a much better player than Perk and the combo of him and Ibaka as complimentary players were the difference.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Terrrapin, The near future is all about years of rebuilding, and not championships. The Big three have a shelf life, they are not young anymore. This year was about winning, and as Doc said, if he had to do it over again, he would have waited until after the season was over. They blew it. Dudder, As Doc said, it was about chemistry and playing together, not puzzle pieces. Sometimes the whole is worth more than the some of the parts. By the way, Perk is still playing. Most players in the league give him his defensive due, unlike some fans.

So the young stars of OKC have a chance to drag Perk to another title......

I agree it is about chemistry and not puzzle pieces and this is one of my main concerns.... people are just looking to add puzzle pieces to prolong the "winning".... I am a firm believer that in the NBA there is no such thing as rebuilding and winning simultaneously but posters think it is a given and that Danny will hoodwink a few teams and the Cs will just continue being contenders.......  nothing could be further from the truth in my opinion.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Dudder, I can't believe that we are in partial agreement.

Terrrapin, Doc disagrees with you.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Stop defending the others. Is basketball a team sport?

The Celtics used to be a great defensive team. However. they were not in this series. Allen and Pierce were like old men with canes on defense this year. KG was also substandard on offense.

It may not be a coincidence that all three played poorly in some aspect of the series. Without five working parts the team struggled. Certainly KG having to clean up the messes created by Allen and Pierce on defense, took its toll on KG.
    Pierce was so ineffective on defense in one game, that for the first time, KG tried to get Doc to allow him to cover Lebron.

Your Pierce man crush will not let you see that he also failed. He failed at the defensive end. Allen also failed miserably on defense.

It makes sense, because speed and quickness are usually the first things to go.

By the way, what does Dirk have to do with the Celtics?

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts