Cheer

Boo

Email

MORE OFFSEASON ISSUES
     Big Summer for Celtics Young Core
     Crunching Some Numbers
     What's Next for Pierce, KG and Doc?
     Final Celtics Report Card

BOSTON — Figuring out what to do with Paul Pierce will be at the top of the Boston Celtics' offseason agenda, for sure.

But if the C's have any realistic visions of re-entering the growing field of title contenders, Danny Ainge and company have to come up big in the free agency derby. 

Some of the NBA's best players like Dwight Howard and Chris Paul, are available as unrestricted free agents beginning in July. 

Short of Photoshopping them into Celtics unis, there's little to no chance they will call the TD Garden home anytime soon.

Still, that won't stop fans from playing the 'what if ..." game or the Celtics front office from looking at all options this summer as they try and re-tool a roster that they are hoping will be better - or at the very least, healthier - than this past season's club that flamed out in the first round of the playoffs. 

The C's will be limited as far as what they can do financially to attract free agents, with their best bet to significantly bolster their roster coming through sign-and-trades.

But first things first. 

The Celtics must figure out which players they plan to target this summer. 

Here are some of players that are likely to be on the Celtics radar this summer. 

LONGSHOTS, AT BEST

Josh Smith (Atlanta Hawks)

Summary: One of the few upper echelon free agents that the Celtics won't need to do much swooning to get to come to Boston. The problem? He's looking for a max or near-max deal, something the Celtics can't financially do, even if they wanted to. A Pierce-for-Smith trade could work, but this trade would appear to not make a lot of sense for either club. Teams interested in Pierce see him as the missing piece that could get them over the top. The Hawks have too many needs for this trade to make sense from their perspective. And with the C's keeping one eye on improving its financial picture and another on improving the roster, Smith has the talent but whether he's the right fit for what they need, is another matter entirely.

Al Jefferson (Utah Jazz)

Summary: Of all the possible trade possibilities for the Celtics, this is one of the few that makes sense. Utah can lose Jefferson and get nothing in return, or swing a deal for say, Pierce and add a much-needed veteran. The addition of Jefferson would allow Garnett to play more at the power forward position and potentially allow the Celtics to cut his minutes back even further and give him even more pep in his step for the playoffs.

David West (Indiana Pacers)

Summary: The C's made a run at him a couple years ago when he eventually signed with the Pacers, so the interest level is clearly there. West is a player that brings more to the table than points and rebounds. He brings a high level of accountability and professionalism to the floor and inside the locker room, which is why the Pacers will do all they can to keep him in the fold.

OTHER POSSIBLES

O.J. Mayo (Dallas Mavericks)

Summary: Another player the C's were close to acquiring earlier, Mayo put up solid numbers for Dallas (15.3 points,  4.4 assists) but his individual success didn't translate into enough team victories as the Mavs failed to make the playoffs for the first time since 2000. Dallas is expected to try and work out and long-term deal for Mayo, who made $4.2 million last season. Boston's best shot at acquiring him would be to work out a sign-and-trade which could involve Courtney Lee or former Maverick Jason Terry. 

Chris Kaman (Dallas Mavericks)

Summary: A 7-footer with size and strength, Kaman would be an ideal fit for a Celtics team that desperately needs to add depth at the center position. And while he is sure to take a dip in pay from the $12.2 million he brought in last year, the C's best shot at acquiring him will come through sign-and-trade.

Samuel Dalembert (Milwaukee Bucks)

Summary: At 6-foot-11, Dalembert may have some trouble this season pulling down the kind of money he is used to earning. He made $6.7 million this past season and will certainly be seeking something close to the mid-level which will be worth about $5 million. But coming off a disappointing season with the Bucks with his role steadily declining, he may find himself having to settle for the veteran's minimum which would then make him an ideal target for the Celtics as a backup big man. 

BLASTS FROM THE PAST

Tony Allen (Memphis Grizzlies)

Summary: Yes, things didn't end on the best of terms for Tony Allen and the Boston Celtics. But a reunion isn't totally out of the question. Like most of the deals Boston will consider making, this too would likely have to be a sign-and-trade. T.A. back to Boston for the vet's minimum? Not happening. If the C's and Allen both show a willingness to put the past behind them and try to re-connect, look for Boston to once again dangle the contracts of Lee and Terry.

Jason Collins (Washington Wizards)

Summary: Both Collins and Celtics head coach Doc Rivers made it clear that a return to Boston would be something both sides want. And with money not being an issue (it's hard to imagine any team willing to pay him more than the veteran's minimum), this deal should not take very long to get completed. Collins' recent admission that he is gay will have no bearing on the C's interest in him, which was pretty strong well before his announcement. 

Leandro Barbosa (Washington Wizards)

Summary: Coming off a devastating torn ACL injury, it remains to be seen if the 'Brazilian Blur' can regain the quickness that made him such a tough cover for opponents. He has been rehabilitating his injury in Boston, along with Rajon Rondo who is also on the mend from a torn ACL injury. While he is on the C's radar, there are a number of other options the C's will explore before they make a decision on whether to bring him back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Potential Celtics targets in NBA free agency

I would do a T. Allen for C. Lee sign and trade in a second! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Ainge unsure whether Pierce will return to Celts  

May 9, 2013, 6:30 pm   SHARE THIS POST   Cheer   0   Boo   0     Email          

Kevin Garnett? He thinks he'll be back. Doc Rivers? Ditto.

Paul Pierce? Well . . .

Danny Ainge made his weekly appearance on WEEI Radio yesterday -- his final appearance of the 2012-13 season -- and gave his opinions on the three big questions regarding the Celtics: Will Pierce, Garnett and Rivers return?

Ainge said that, in his heart, he thinks Doc and KG will be in Boston next year.

"Doc is always unsure [about his future]," he said. "Coaching is very very draining. Every year with Doc, he’s had to go home and sort of recharge and ask himself that question, ‘Is this something that I’m passionate about and want to continue doing?’ I understand that. And we . . . give him time to unwind and relax, and after a couple of 92s on the golf course, he usually comes back . . . I think Doc will be coaching the Boston Celtics [next season]."

As for Garnett . . .

"I do the same thing as I do with Doc: I give him some time away and I’ll touch base with KG probably some time next week. He’s put so much into the game, he invests as much as any player I’ve ever seen. And he just needs time to chill and contemplate his life and then we’ll talk at some future time. But I do anticipate that KG will play. Just like I did last year, I feel the same this year. I don’t know for sure, but we’ll know more in the next couple weeks."

He was less positive, however, talking about Pierce.

"Conversation with my coach, conversation with Paul and his representatives [will play into the decision to bring Pierce back]," said Ainge. "Opportunities that may present themselves. There’s a lot that will go into it, but it hasn’t even started yet, we have until June 30 to make any decision.

"Listen, Paul’s been one of the greatest Celtics of all time and that will play part in it. We love what he’s done for us, but ultimately we have to do what we think is the best for us from this point forward. And I think that Paul still has a lot of basketball left in him."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

intersting reads there, especially the Ainge article.

sounds like KG and doc justmay be back ,but Pierce will be moved there. add in the first piece about a Pierce for Jefferson trade and hmmmmmm.

still have a glut of #2 guards and no depth at SF, so another move might be likely there.

In that scenario  would consider moving Lee and Bass to toronto for L. Fields, Lucas and A. Gray.

we definatley could go BPA at #16 in the draft

leaving a re-vamped roster of:

Jefferson

Gray

Melo

Garnett

Sullinger

Green

Landry

Bradley

Rondo

Terry

Crawford

Lucas

#16 pick

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

If DA plays his cards right, the Cs will place a competitive team on the court next season! Again, I would love to see TA and Big Al back in C-Green!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

If DA plays his cards right, the Cs will place a competitive team on the court next season! Again, I would love to see TA and Big Al back in C-Green!!

the only trouble i have with Allen is he and Bradley are basically the same type player. Good defense but limited on the offensive end.

I would love to see a guy like Belinili(sp) or someone who can hit the spot 3 on a regualr basis instead of both Allen and Bradley, myself.

I am OK with having Jefferson if he is playing along sid eof KG. But Jefferson and Bass together isn;r my cup of tea either.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:

In response to BCSP's comment:

the only trouble i have with Allen is he and Bradley are basically the same type player. Good defense but limited on the offensive end.

I would love to see a guy like Belinili(sp) or someone who can hit the spot 3 on a regualr basis instead of both Allen and Bradley, myself.

I am OK with having Jefferson if he is playing along sid eof KG. But Jefferson and Bass together isn;r my cup of tea either.

I agree with you on Belinelli! He is a poor mans Manu Ginobli! 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Package Bradley and the 16th pick for a lottery pick.

+ 1 I agree with that move (for the right player)! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

I got two words for you:

Thiago Splitter

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

AND Big Al wants to be in Boston! He knows the difference between first class and coach! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Splitter won't cost as much as Big Al, and even though they are the same age, Splitter has fewer miles on his legs.  Don't get me wrong, I'd take Big Al back, but I think he'll be too expensive. 

Of the Kaman, Dalembert,  Smith, et al group, I think Splitter flies under the radar, and would be a great fit here!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

My best guess is no PP, no KG.

Time to reload.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to breaktime's comment:

My best guess is no PP, no KG.

Time to reload.

We will find out soon enough what direction the Cs decide to go! 48-days and counting, until June 30th! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Boston Celtics rumors 2013: 'I don't think Paul Pierce believes' he'll return, says Gr   PAUL_PIERCE_GAME_6.JPG Boston Celtics small forward Paul Pierce (34) heads to the bench during the second half in Game 6 of their first-round NBA basketball playoff series against the New York Knicks in Boston, Friday, May 3, 2013. The Knicks won 88-80, eliminating the Celtics from the playoffs. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa) Jay King, MassLive.comBy Jay King, MassLive.com 
    Follow on Twitter 
    on May 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM
          Email   More Boston Celtics  

Those close to Paul Pierce believe he will not return to the Boston Celtics next season, according to CSNNE sideline reporter Greg Dickerson – and Pierce might think his days in green are done, as well.

"I don't think they will (bring Pierce back)," Dickersonsaid Sunday on CSNNE. "And I know that the company that Paul Pierce hangs around in, they do not believe – and I don't think Paul Pierce believes – that he is going to be brought back next year at $15 million. I know for a fact that people around Paul Pierce have pretty much resigned themselves to the fact that he's played his final game in a Boston Celtics uniform. Again, Paul wants to stay – obviously for $15 million, but he wants to finish his career in a Celtics uniform."

The lone year remaining on Pierce's contract can be bought out for $5 million. Asked whether he believes the Celtics will trade Pierce or buy him out, Dickerson said: "One way or the other. Probably a buyout. More than likely a buyout."

If Pierce does not return, Kevin Garnett has indicated he won't want to either.

"If Paul's gone, I think without a doubt Kevin Garnett is gone – either by retirement or he finally decides to waive his no-trade clause, and the Celtics maybe work something out with a (Los Angeles Clippers) team," said Dickerson. "But the list is real short; the teams that Kevin Garnett would go to, there might be two of them on it, and they both might be the Clippers and (Los Angeles) Lakers."

Dickerson also dismissed any reports that head coach Doc Rivers could leave Boston for another team. As he does annually, Rivers – who has three years left on his contract – said he needed time to clear his head before deciding whether to return next season. In the meantime, his name has been associated with other openings.

The Brooklyn Nets are reportedly expected to ask for permission to speak to Rivers as they look for a P.J. Carlesimo replacement, and a seemingly far-fetched rumor started by Stephen A. Smith claimed the Clippers could also look to acquire Rivers – but Dickerson said not to worry about any potential poaching.

"Forget about the Brooklyn rumors, forget about the Clippers rumors or whatever other teams out there need a head coach," said Dickerson. "Doc Rivers will not – repeat, will not – coach somewhere else next season unless it's the Boston Celtics. Period, end of topic."

Sections
Shortcuts