Potential Rondo Trades

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Potential Rondo Trades

*Posted this on another thread, but had poorly named title. Was hoping to get some feedback.*

I'm not a Rondo hater, but I enjoy watching them more since he has gone down. I understand that he is our biggest future building block, but I can't stand the idea of Paul and KG shipped off to other teams to finish their careers. I think DA should cash out on Rondo and get some pieces to help our vets compete in the playoffs. Here are a slew of trade machine proposals followed by a short bit of logic. What do you think?

to ATL - http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cvstwhe

Atlanta's spot in the standings makes it unlikely they would do this deal mid-season, but they are talking about moving Josh Smith so who knows. Rondo + Smith could help net Atlanta Howard whom they've long coveted. Worst free throw shooting big-3 in the league. Horford gives the C's a productive, youthful big man. Salaries almost identical, PERs are identical.

to CHA - http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bhmejs4

Charlotte gets the best player in the deal and a leader for their young team. C's get a promising, young scoring guard who could complement Bradley's defense. Walker can create his own shot, play on or off the ball, decent assisnt man, improving percentages and underrated defense due to great foot speed. Charlotte throws in a future pick and done deal?

to DET - http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aoo9zas

Definitely a long shot, but possible. Drummond has emerged as the best big man on the team and also has the best PER. One could argue that his above the rim skills, Monroe's elbow and post passing, combined with their rebounding together is more valuable than Rondo...especially considering Brandon Knight's presence. I agree, but I have seen Monroe's name wondered aloud in trade rumors. Doesn't hurt to ask. Rondo and Drummond is a decent combo going forward.

to DAL - http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ae5s9op

C's have tried to get Mayo before and he may be overkill now with Bradley, Terry, Lee, and Barbosa. I would much prefer Mayo in the rotation over Barbosa and his lurchy stance. Solid player with potential going forward. Not sure who would handle the ball, but they could make it work. Kaman is a serviceable big man for the stretch run. Dallas gets a new star to help get Dirk his shots and potentially lure Howard to Dallas.

to NO - http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bzjt2k8

"Pelicans" get a leader for their young team to help get Gordon, Davis, and Lopez good looks. C's get a decent young PG who is a good assist man and a shooting rebounder. I know NO likes Anderson and just signed him, but Rondo's talent and upside far outweighs Anderson's. C's need both shooting and rebounding.

to PHX - http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=arwcyyo

Similar to logic for NO. Get a solid PG and a solid big man. Not sure how the two Euros would mesh with the team, but each certainly has some talent. Neither has Rondo's potential, but this is a classic win-now move. PHX gets some real talent on the team who hopefully can bring the best out of the rest of a pathetic roster. BOS would likely have to include a pick.

3 Team w/ PHX & NO - http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=avcnown

This move helps C's froncourt the most bringing in Gortat and Anderson. Rondo and Bass give NO a very unique rotation of Rondo-Gordon-Aminu/Henry-Davis-Lopez with Bass providing a shooting power forward to play off of the defensive big men. PHX wants to move Gortat and gets some intriguing young talent in Smith and Rivers plus picks from NO and/or BOS.

I left out the trade to Sacremento for Evans and Cousins because I think both of those players are unpredictable, inconsistent, and poisonous. But thats certainly an option, too.

What do you all think? Which are realistic? Would you make any of these trades?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Potential Rondo Trades

A lof of good work in this thread but I don't see it happening for two reasons.  One I don't see a team giving up much for a guy who might not be able to play full speed all next year. I mean he probably will but who knows?

Two I think Ainge and Doc like Rondo.  Even if the team plays better without him the rest of the year, I know those two would still rather have him then Bradley, Terry or Lee.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Cart before the horse.  IF Rondo gets traded and it remains a big IF, it won't happen until after he's back post-rehab.

Do like the emphasis you put on us getting big men in return, tho.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I still think he could be an asset...even in the present. Modern medical technology has helped athletes return at or close to previous athletic levels. A team looking to make him a building block to their franchise could still be willng to gamble. Also - if Rose comes back before the deadline and plays well it could improve his value.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

i think next year will be spend trying to see if Rondo can fit in with this new offense, which i think he can and will flourish. If for some reason he cant, trade him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to JamezHill24's comment:

i think next year will be spend trying to see if Rondo can fit in with this new offense, which i think he can and will flourish. If for some reason he cant, trade him.

BUT WAIT! YOU wanted us to blow it up when he first went out. YOU SAID, "I THINK I"M GOING TO THROW UP!" when you first heard the news! ARE YOU ADMITTING YOU ARE WRONG NOW? Have you taken your RONDO poster off the bedroom ceiling, James?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

The only one I can see really happening is the Phoenix deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

BUT WAIT! YOU wanted us to blow it up when he first went out. YOU SAID, "I THINK I"M GOING TO THROW UP!" when you first heard the news! ARE YOU ADMITTING YOU ARE WRONG NOW? Have you taken your RONDO poster off the bedroom ceiling, James?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

What do you want the guy to do?  Who didn't think the Celtics would struggle?  I suppose you knew we would win seven straight.  Jamez is being open minded, Rondo will be a force when he comes back whether you like it or not. That is my opinion and if he isn't he will be moved.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

A lof of good work in this thread but I don't see it happening for two reasons.  One I don't see a team giving up much for a guy who might not be able to play full speed all next year. I mean he probably will but who knows?

Two I think Ainge and Doc like Rondo.  Even if the team plays better without him the rest of the year, I know those two would still rather have him then Bradley, Terry or Lee.

So, Snake, if the Cs were to pull off the Championship this year, are you saying they would still feel the same way? A wise man once said, "Its too early to tell how this will all work out." NO? ;-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

What do you want the guy to do?  Who didn't think the Celtics would struggle?  I suppose you knew we would win seven straight.  Jamez is being open minded, Rondo will be a force when he comes back whether you like it or not. That is my opinion and if he isn't he will be moved.

A number of posters didn't think the Cs would struggle w/o Rondo. 

A lot of posters thought that the Cs were already struggling with Rondo... and that R9R's injury would be a blessing in disguise.

It certainly has been a blessing for a team that has benefited greatly from Rondo's absence.

Pud

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

A lot of posters thought that the Cs were already struggling with Rondo... and that R9R's injury would be a blessing in disguise.

It certainly has been a blessing for a team that has benefited greatly from Rondo's absence.

Pud

You of course make a vaild point.  At this point some though searching old posts to point out someone was wrong is pathetic.  We are all wrong at one point or another.  Jamez was right when Rondo played brilliantly in the playoffs last year and was wrong when he predicted disaster was waiting for us after Rondo tore his ACL.  Remember PP when Doris Burke told him after the Miami game Rondo was out for the season.  He looked as concerned as Jamez and many other were on hearing the news.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

i think next year will be spend trying to see if Rondo can fit in with this new offense, which i think he can and will flourish.  If for some reason he cant, trade him.

If you check, you will see that I have said from day one that they would benefit from his absence, as they nearly always have since his arrival, ie. 36-17 record when he doesn't play. Speak for yourself, Concord.....PP was on TV with Doris that day doing what a good teammate does. What did you think he was gonna do, smile. Get in touch with reality, dude.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

they'll trade rondo if and when it becomes a good idea. that won't be until at least next season. even rally is likely aware of this, but is desperate to make a splash here and now for whatever his reasons are. give the twit enough rope and he'll hang himself. one can read over his posts from the past 2 wks and see where that process has already begun.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:

they'll trade rondo if and when it becomes a good idea. that won't be until at least next season. even rally is likely aware of this, but is desperate to make a splash here and now for whatever his reasons are. give the twit enough rope and he'll hang himself. one can read over his posts from the past 2 wks and see where that process has already begun.

As usual, you say the absolute obvious. Bravo for such deep insight. I've been right from the beginning of this two week discussion about Rondo, Bailey. Hanging one's self is being proven wrong. You, as always are saying nothing here, just unsubstantiated babble about me. I am flattered that YOU are turning me into some kind of a cult star, even if it is in your own mind!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

Pud

You of course make a vaild point.  At this point some though searching old posts to point out someone was wrong is pathetic.  We are all wrong at one point or another.  Jamez was right when Rondo played brilliantly in the playoffs last year and was wrong when he predicted disaster was waiting for us after Rondo tore his ACL.  Remember PP when Doris Burke told him after the Miami game Rondo was out for the season.  He looked as concerned as Jamez and many other were on hearing the news.

So what? CPP is very loyal to Rondo and his reaction was to be expected.

Did you expect to see him jump for joy on national TV?

This doesn't mean that R9R was good for the team. He was good for some players (CPP, KG)over others and he  seemed to play favorites...  but he was not good for the team overall.

Whether he can be incorporated into the newly jelled team next year I have serious concerns about.

Pud

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to breaktime's comment:

Cart before the horse.  IF Rondo gets traded and it remains a big IF, it won't happen until after he's back post-rehab.

Definitely agree with you.  Rondo won't be traded until he returns and plays some games next season.  No one is going to trade for someone who is injured.  What if he misses 1/2 of the season next year? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

In response to breaktime's comment:

Definitely agree with you.  Rondo won't be traded until he returns and plays some games next season.  No one is going to trade for someone who is injured.  What if he misses 1/2 of the season next year? 

Susan..if you follow our Sox team, recall the trade last year that sent Gonzalez, Beckett, Punto & the INJURED Carl Crawford to LA. I don't believe he played last year.

So, Rondo can be traded for a team betting on the come. Do I feel he should/could be traded for a Big Man,Cousins, Gortat...Dunno ???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from srinivasa. Show srinivasa's posts

+1, respect Jamez, wrote this in another thread:

These C's are Paul and KG (and to some extend Terry) led, those are proven veteran leaders and HOF'ers who know who to lead and win and the 2nd tier players like Jeff, Courtney and Bradley seem more comfortable following them than Rondo.

I don't think the C's are better without Rondo but they've been freed from a distorted situation. Management will have to have some serious talks with RR on his role, team interest etc. To me it's clear Rondo is not a franchise player, you don't build around him, he's a very valuable piece but we can't have a tabula rasa with our roster just because they don't fit Rondo's style, Rondo has to adapt and if he won't or can't trade him before his deal expires.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

A team I wouldn't be surprised to see take a run at an injured Rondo is Dallas, esp if they have legit visions of Howard. I don't think they could get Howard though, even without adding Rondo's salary, unless they got rid of Marion for an expiring contract.

I also think they'd want to keep Mayo (who has a low player option they'd likely have to tear up or give a 5 year extension onto). Rondo-Mayo-Dirk-Howard would be a pretty good starting point for the Mavs.

Darren Collison-Vince Carter-Chris Kaman (13.4m) for Rondo, Barbosa and Collins (12.7m) works out. The C's should also ask for Dallas's first rd pick in exchange for our 2nd.

Those 3 guys added in, at the expense of just two current rotation guys, and Collins barely is, would do wonders to our lineup. KG and Pierce could get tons of rest. Bass could have his mins cut in half like his play deserves. KG could have more time at PF and Collison, while he wouldn't start over Avery/Lee... is a pure PG and upgrade to Barbosa.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

A team I wouldn't be surprised to see take a run at an injured Rondo is Dallas, esp if they have legit visions of Howard. I don't think they could get Howard though, even without adding Rondo's salary, unless they got rid of Marion for an expiring contract.

I also think they'd want to keep Mayo (who has a low player option they'd likely have to tear up or give a 5 year extension onto). Rondo-Mayo-Dirk-Howard would be a pretty good starting point for the Mavs.

Darren Collison-Vince Carter-Chris Kaman (13.4m) for Rondo, Barbosa and Collins (12.7m) works out. The C's should also ask for Dallas's first rd pick in exchange for our 2nd.

Those 3 guys added in, at the expense of just two current rotation guys, and Collins barely is, would do wonders to our lineup. KG and Pierce could get tons of rest. Bass could have his mins cut in half like his play deserves. KG could have more time at PF and Collison, while he wouldn't start over Avery/Lee... is a pure PG and upgrade to Barbosa.

I like that trade.  And you are correct about Marion.  They already used their amnesty, so moving him would be tough.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Denver - Bass, Collins, 1st rd pick C's

Dallas - Rondo, Barbosa, Anthony Randolph, 2nd rd pick C's

Boston - Marion, Mozgov, Darren Collison, Vince Carter, 1st rd pick Mav's

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

I was thinking a similar thought about Rondo to Dallas.  It's a good deal for all parties involved.  Rondo goes to a potentially good situation and the c's get value in return.  I would want mayo and kaman though.  I would take Marion as additional incentive for Dallas to do the deal. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Rondo is worth more then that, guys!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Really? That's not enough for Rondo??

1.) Darren Collison is younger than Rondo, a career 12 point, 5 assist PG who shoots 37% from behind the arc (40 this season) and we could extend him for 5 years at 7-9 million per over paying Rondo, a career 11/8 PG (24% from 3 this year and his career) 12 and 13 million the next 2 years, the first of which will be his ACL return from injury year, and then he will want a max deal. Meanwhile the team has proven it plays great without him when it has ball movement generated by multiple speedy guards who can all shoot better.

2.) We replace the frustrating Brandon Bass, an undersized PF who gives 7.5 points and 4.9 rebounds in 26 mins with Marion, who despite being much older can still defend both forward spots better than Bass can defend just PF's and avg's 11.5 pts and 8.3 rebounds in 29 mins this year. He also has 1 year and 9.3 mil left on his deal after '13, not 2 years at 13.4.

3.) We move our draft pick, likely in the 18-22 range if we are the 4-6 seed, for one in the 8-12 range, as Dallas is currently picking 11th and will get even worse with this deal. That can sometimes be the difference between a future star (or at least very likely a starter) a vs. just a rotation guy/bust.

4.) Mozgov is 7'1", 26 years old, and is averaging 10/10/2 per 36 mins this year. We'd need him to upgrade Collins, be what Darko was supposed to be and if he can give 4 points, 5 rebounds and a block in 14-18 mins that would really make our bench scary.

5.) Oh and we get Vince Carter as well. Just a smart vet, finally paid what he is worth, who has already hit multiple clutch shuts this season, is giving 12/4/2 in 24 mins and would only be asked to play 12-16 off the bench for us like Barbosa was. He may not be the defender of SG-SF's that Barbosa was PG-SG's... but he is a professional scorer and would be 3rd string at both positions, easily the best 3rd SG or 3rd SF in the game and could really help rest PP for the playoffs.