Pounding the ball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Pounding the ball

This isn't necessarily a "defense of Rondo" thread (although I still like him more than not), but it does address the criticism that he spends too much time standing around pounding the ball.  Two points:

In order to create a transition basket, people have to run up court.  Preferably more of your guys than opponents.  That doesn't happen often enough, so the ball has be brought back out.

In order to run a play in halfcourt, people have to move without the ball.  When that doesn't happen, your ball handler either has to stand around and hope something turns up, or he has to force something.

I'm not a fan of pound-pound-pound, and I wish we had an inside-out game, but lacking that, people have to cooperate.  Maybe AB -- who's good at moving without the ball -- will bring some of the others along with him.  But we used to be a lot better at that than we have been this year -- so I don't totally blame RR.

cheers --

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: Pounding the ball

In response to Number6Fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This isn't necessarily a "defense of Rondo" thread (although I still like him more than not), but it does address the criticism that he spends too much time standing around pounding the ball.  Two points:

In order to create a transition basket, people have to run up court.  Preferably more of your guys than opponents.  That doesn't happen often enough, so the ball has be brought back out.

In order to run a play in halfcourt, people have to move without the ball.  When that doesn't happen, your ball handler either has to stand around and hope something turns up, or he has to force something.

I'm not a fan of pound-pound-pound, and I wish we had an inside-out game, but lacking that, people have to cooperate.  Maybe AB -- who's good at moving without the ball -- will bring some of the others along with him.  But we used to be a lot better at that than we have been this year -- so I don't totally blame RR.

cheers --

[/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like something Doc should control.  Jet, Lee, and to some extent Green will run with Rondo.  Rondo doesn't push the issue.  If it were me I would push the ball after made baskets  to try and give us a extra 5 seconds to find a shot.  How many time earlier this year have we watched a lead dwindle while the other team is making a run and we see RR walking the ball up, pointing his fingers, telling people what to do, then next thing you know we have 3 seconds left and fire up another desperation shot.  

Doc and RR have equal accountabity in this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

cheers --

[/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like something Doc should control.  Jet, Lee, and to some extent Green will run with Rondo.  Rondo doesn't push the issue.  If it were me I would push the ball after made baskets  to try and give us a extra 5 seconds to find a shot.  How many time earlier this year have we watched a lead dwindle while the other team is making a run and we see RR walking the ball up, pointing his fingers, telling people what to do, then next thing you know we have 3 seconds left and fire up another desperation shot.  

[/QUOTE]

Rondo is hurt and the team even when he is not hurt the team slows down and pounds the ball into Pierce and Garnett.  I hope this team can and will try to do what you are saying, I haven't seen it though.  Rondo may be slowing it down to accomodate Pierce and Garnett setting up the offensive sets.  Maybe Bradley will get Rondo going.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

First things first... Doc has been quoted as sayin ghe lets Rondo run the game, calling play s etc..  Of course you may be wondering what it is Doc does...

Now how often in 1/2 court do you see Rondo call a play?? Right, not very ....

He pounds.. looks for an open cutter.. fakes here than there.. waits for someone to pop open.. etc etc

Where's Doc when all this is going on??

Then Doc gives an interview about Rondo's extremely high basketball IQ and smarts.. That hes the coach on the floor, the man, its his team, hes the leader cause we say he is...

Unfortunately for us now... this is how Doc led the C's to a title in 2008... leaving it up to KG, PP & Ray to run the show so he could ride their coattails. It led to Doc being praised a great coach...he just wasnt great a year earlier.. or the year before that either..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

..but in 2008, he became a great coach

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First things first... Doc has been quoted as sayin ghe lets Rondo run the game, calling play s etc..  Of course you may be wondering what it is Doc does...

He pounds.. looks for an open cutter.. fakes here than there.. waits for someone to pop open.. etc etc

Then Doc gives an interview about Rondo's extremely high basketball IQ and smarts.. That hes the coach on the floor, the man, its his team, hes the leader cause we say he is...

Unfortunately for us now... this is how Doc led the C's to a title in 2008... leaving it up to KG, PP & Ray to run the show so he could ride their coattails. It led to Doc being praised a great coach...he just wasnt great a year earlier.. or the year before that either..

[/QUOTE]

I believe he was a good coach a year earlier -- when Jeffereson, and Paul, and TA, and Perk were all injured for significant stretches.  Yet he still brought along the recruits well enough that they had enough value to net us Ray and KG.  I don't forget that, nor that they were immensely entertaining games to watch, despite the losses.  Name for me a coach who's available whom you would rather have.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

uggh. Phil Jackson wasn't a good coach he rode Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippon's coatails and then Shaq and Kobe and the Kobe and Gasol. 

Pat Riley wasn't a good coach he rode Magic, Kareem, and Worthy to five titles then Shaq and D-Wade to one

Clearly Popvich isn't a good coach how many titles has he won without Tim Duncan?

Please quit posting this nonsense. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to jtkl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

uggh. Phil Jackson wasn't a good coach he rode Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippon's coatails and then Shaq and Kobe and the Kobe and Gasol. 

Pat Riley wasn't a good coach he rode Magic, Kareem, and Worthy to five titles then Shaq and D-Wade to one

Clearly Popvich isn't a good coach how many titles has he won without Tim Duncan?

Please quit posting this nonsense. 

[/QUOTE]

Maybe you need a clue... Every coach youve mentioned has done it either with multiple teams of for long stretches of time, in Pops case.... and I didnt call them great coaches, did I? However, Doc no where near their level imo

Also to the other poster, the fact you were entertained watching the Celtics lose isnt much of an argument Docs a good, let alone great coach.

The bottom line for me is what I see on the court..  Tremendous inconsistency with players obvioously now knowing what to do... or players like Rondo not doing what he should be because the coach has little influence.

Now tell me something like Magic thinks Docs a good coach or KG likes playing for him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to concord27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

cheers --

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rondo is hurt and the team even when he is not hurt the team slows down and pounds the ball into Pierce and Garnett.  I hope this team can and will try to do what you are saying, I haven't seen it though.  Rondo may be slowing it down to accomodate Pierce and Garnett setting up the offensive sets.  Maybe Bradley will get Rondo going.

[/QUOTE]

Concord this also has a trickling effect on other players as well.  You wonder why people have low shooting percentages,  well when you walk the ball up the floor the quality of shot if going to be bad. I like Rondo a lot but he is our "leader" and he has to play better.  He played great last nite but that was against DJ Augistine.  He has to do it tonight against Teague and so on.  Bradley is the wild card here.  You can see how he effects the game.  I still have faith we get it together.  Even our loss to Memphis has some bright spots.