Practical Solution

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: Practical Solution

P34 I don't think it's practical to expect Shaq and Semih to hold things down until Perk returns.  Shaq plays 21 minutes per game and he's basically at his max.  Semih plays only 14 minutes per game but probaby could probably more.  However, Shaq's played in only 29 games while Semih's played in 27.  These guys haven't been the poster child for health this season so INCREASING their minutes will more than likely increase their chances of getting an injury.  Both are laboring through injuries now (Shaq - groin, Semih - shoulder).

Perk will not be ready to play until late February/early March at the earliest (skill-wise and conditioning).  That is taking a HUGE risk when both of the available centers on the team have been injury prone already.

I don't want to mortgage the season by "weathering a storm" while still setting the stage for a possible injury to the guys playing.  Also, KG does not need to be playing center.  He's much too valuable right now.

If JON will require surgery that will end his season, I'd buy him out.  I'd sign some 10-day contract centers until Perk returns or I sign someone for the rest of the season who performed adequately during a 10-day contract stint.

I'd open the spot by buying JON out or I'd waive Wafer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

I didn't say give more minutes to Shaq and Erden. What I said was give Harangody more playing time. So what if Baby plays some Center for a while?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

if JO needs surgery..they are shut him down, then they are gonna ride with shaq, perk and semih and then sign sheed outta retirement (just for depth, this is by no means a "we need sheed plead") and then our depth will be complete. we will have a big big in shaq, a shooting big in sheed and a rebounding big in perk. too bad we cant combine all of them into one huh.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

We may be overlooking the fact that the timeframe from JON being out to Perk coming in will not be more than approximately 30 days or 14 games.   We could lose 2 or 3 more games than we'd like, but we'll survive if KG is healthy.  Shaq, BBD, Semih, and KG will just have to be our bigs with our small forwards (Paul, Marquis, Luke) and Rondo helping on the Boards.

Petey - maybe it won't be as bad as you think it will be.   I'd rate our schedule during that period as "medium" toughness.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I could see the C's buying out JON, BUT put yourselve in his shoes for a minute. Do you take a buyout when you have at least 80% of your contract still due and get waived. If he milks it and says he can come back in April his contract is guaranteed and he may get a ring.

I don't think it's going to be easy buying him out.

We have to find a band-aid.

I still say get Sheed in shape, trade BBD for Posey and you've filled 2 positions with one move. Sheed is your backup PF and C. Posey is your backup SF who can defend 3 positions. You still have Daniels who can also defend 3 positions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

We understand your position on BBD being traded, Bias.   I respect your opinion, but its not worth another long debate on that point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In Response to Re: Practical Solution:
    [QUOTE]I didn't say give more minutes to Shaq and Erden. What I said was give Harangody more playing time. So what if Baby plays some Center for a while?
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

P34, I did not say you said give more minutes to Shaq and Erden.  Giving Luke more minutes doesn't solve our center problems.  I like Luke but he is a 6'6"/6'7" rookie who plays hard but, in no way, is ready to give the Celtics consistent production at the PF spot as a temporaty bandaid to our "center" woes.  We saw that last week when he had 17 points and 11 boards night and followed it up the very next night with a major DUD!  Before KG got hurt, Baby was playing center at times anyway.  That's nothing new but having Baby play center more takes from his production at the backup PF spot.

I was reading a story on csnne.com that indicated that the Celtics gambled on aging veterans this season and it's catching up to them.  That's a fact and we cannot compound that because it will get worse.  Shaq WILL NOT HOLD UP if we increase HIS minutes until Perk returns, even if for one month.  Shaq came here to play about 15 minutes in a BACKUP role (20 minutes until Perk returns).  This guy is looking for a few DAYS OFF, not increased playing time.  Shaq's time is in the playoffs, not this regular season stuff.  Shaq aint built for 25/30 minutes!

We have been juggling guys all season and continuing to do so will increase the chances for injuries.  The only area where we are deficient is in the center position.

Notice how the Celtics keep referring to JON as possibly needing "in-season" surgery.  Honestly, I've never heard it referred to as that.  That is Celtics spin for "he WILL NOT be lost for the season" although he probably will be.  We SHOULD NOT expect JON to have surgery and miraculously return in March or April, ready to play and with none to minimal knee issues.  JON will, FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE, forever have swelling and tightness and tenderness in his knees EVERY TIME he plays basketball.  We gambled on him and we lost.

Whatever remains on his salary, it can be bought out.  And when you hear quotes from him like "this may be my final season" and "I'd like to retire a Pacer", JON is thinking about his career possibly being over.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

[QUOTE]We understand your position on BBD being traded, Bias.   I respect your opinion, but its not worth another long debate on that point.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I know, that wasn't the base of me bringing it up. We're looking for solutions. We don't have many options so the only solution is to consider moving other parts. I think we've all seen what BBD can do with a bigger role. I've proved my point on him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Practical Solution : P34, I did not say you said give more minutes to Shaq and Erden.  Giving Luke more minutes doesn't solve our center problems.  I like Luke but he is a 6'6"/6'7" rookie who plays hard but, in no way, is ready to give the Celtics consistent production at the PF spot as a temporaty bandaid to our "center" woes.  We saw that last week when he had 17 points and 11 boards night and followed it up the very next night with a major DUD!  Before KG got hurt, Baby was playing center at times anyway.  That's nothing new but having Baby play center more takes from his production at the backup PF spot. I was reading a story on csnne.com that indicated that the Celtics gambled on aging veterans this season and it's catching up to them.  That's a fact and we cannot compound that because it will get worse.  Shaq WILL NOT HOLD UP if we increase HIS minutes until Perk returns, even if for one month.  Shaq came here to play about 15 minutes in a BACKUP role (20 minutes until Perk returns).  This guy is looking for a few DAYS OFF, not increased playing time.  Shaq's time is in the playoffs, not this regular season stuff.  Shaq aint built for 25/30 minutes! We have been juggling guys all season and continuing to do so will increase the chances for injuries.  The only area where we are deficient is in the center position. Notice how the Celtics keep referring to JON as possibly needing "in-season" surgery.  Honestly, I've never heard it referred to as that.  That is Celtics spin for "he WILL NOT be lost for the season" although he probably will be.  We SHOULD NOT expect JON to have surgery and miraculously return in March or April, ready to play and with none to minimal knee issues.  JON will, FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE, forever have swelling and tightness and tenderness in his knees EVERY TIME he plays basketball.  We gambled on him and we lost. Whatever remains on his salary, it can be bought out.  And when you hear quotes from him like " this may be my final season " and " I'd like to retire a Pacer ", JON is thinking about his career possibly being over.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

Good post! It's funny no one wants to make moves but then get mad when we lose games or have Nate playing PG, BBD playing C, PP playing point forward. Guys playing out of position, playing different roles. It takes a toll on the player and Doc has to keep tinkering with rotations. Moves may have to be made...tough moves, tough decisions will have to be made. All we can hope for is that Perk and KG return without anymore hiccups.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Waiving Wafer and signing free-agent to a 10-day contract is not the solution. It takes time to get acclimated to the Celtics' system.

The Celtics were fine when both O'Neals were out. As long as Erden is able to play there's no need to make a move. If KG will be out for just one more game then it's Shaq and KG again as the starters and BBD will be back to his 6th man role.

Sheed shot poorly last year, opting to shoot more 3s than playing inside. He's not a good rebounder for size and when he gets beat on defense he tries to make up for it by fouling. So why would the Celtics want him instead of BBD?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Practical Solution : I know, that wasn't the base of me bringing it up. We're looking for solutions. We don't have many options so the only solution is to consider moving other parts. I think we've all seen what BBD can do with a bigger role. I've proved my point on him.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

BBD doesn't need to play a bigger role, the Celtics have KG for that. 

How about this, who do you think is the better player at this point in time, Sheed or BBD?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

P34, if it was up to you, you'd never make a move. Do you realize that we are hurting for big men? Shaq can't play 40 mins, Semih's arm is about to fall off, KG isn't back, Perk is still 2-3 weeks away. You seem to think "oh just play Semih or just play Shaq" and everything will be alright.

You never pose any solutions (maybe so you won't go on record) but just staying status quo may not get it done. We're already trying to put round pegs in square holes.

Do you have any solutions Mr. GM??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Bias,
    BBD for Posey is just plain crazy!  Do you understand value, put your prejudices against Baby aside. Posey is older, less effective than he was by a lot. Baby has been better every year. We get it you don't like his game but who else to do we get in your trade for BBD?  

BBD is not a sufficient replacement to Garnett.  That is understood but as  a sixth man BBD has been lights out this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]P34, if it was up to you, you'd never make a move. Do you realize that we are hurting for big men? Shaq can't play 40 mins, Semih's arm is about to fall off, KG isn't back, Perk is still 2-3 weeks away. You seem to think "oh just play Semih or just play Shaq" and everything will be alright. You never pose any solutions (maybe so you won't go on record) but just staying status quo may not get it done. We're already trying to put round pegs in square holes. Do you have any solutions Mr. GM??

A sensible solution may help.  Moves just to make moves is not the answer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

If they do a minor Scope of a Knee it is possible to be playing again in as little as 4 weeks.  I know many people are just assuming JO will not work out - but, the Celtics take injuries seriously and he's a good player.  He may end up the xfactor in a title run.  I really still believe that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

[QUOTE]Bias, BBD for Posey is just plain crazy!  Do you understand value, put your prejudices against Baby aside. Posey is older, less effective than he was by a lot. Baby has been better every year. We get it you don't like his game but who else to do we get in your trade for BBD?   BBD is not a sufficient replacement to Garnett.  That is understood but as  a sixth man BBD has been lights out this year.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Concord27,

I fully understand what you're saying. Fine maybe not Posey but I'm not hearing any other names on here. People want to criticize every time a players name is brought up. We need a C and we may need a backup PF if KG isn't right. My point of bringing up Sheed and Posey is if they just sign Sheed, BBD is going to wonder what the heck is going on. Sheed doesn't have to play strictly PF, he can play C too. The reason why I brought up Posey is because he's versatile and he can cover 3 positions.

Let's keep BBD, fine no problem. In his role as a 6th man he's fine. It's not going to be pretty just bringing in Sheed with BBD still in Boston. Doc will begin to use Sheed over BBD because he's bigger, can post and go outside and rebound better. We saw it last year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Danny call up your boy Autin in Portland.  See how the kids are making out.

We have rights to "Tiny" Gallon  --  6'9"  --  290 lbs..  He has done well with the Lobster-Claws.  He is scoring 15.3 Pts. and getting 8.6 Rebounds.  Big body who can block middle and gives us 6 more fouls.

Another guy available is Dehawn Sims  -- 6'8"  --  17.6 Pts.  --  8.5 Rebounds, and he can shoot the "3".

Possible 10 contracts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]If they do a minor Scope of a Knee it is possible to be playing again in as little as 4 weeks.  I know many people are just assuming JO will not work out - but, the Celtics take injuries seriously and he's a good player.  He may end up the xfactor in a title run.  I really still believe that.
    Posted by jeezem[/QUOTE]

jeezem, you are extremely optimistic but none of what you say has happened this season.  JON is not working out.  I doubt very seriously that JON will get a "minor scope".

This is something to believe, everytime JON plays basketball his knee will swell up and become tight and tender and he'll need frequent nights off.  That is something the Celtics did not bargain for and that is not what's going to get us banner #18.

Shaq tweaks and ankle or Semih hurts his shoulder and we're DONE.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Practical Solution : jeezem, you are extremely optimistic but none of what you say has happened this season.  JON is not working out.  I doubt very seriously that JON will get a " minor scope ". This is something to believe, everytime JON plays basketball his knee will swell up and become tight and tender and he'll need frequent nights off.  That is something the Celtics did not bargain for and that is not what's going to get us banner #18. Shaq tweaks and ankle or Semih hurts his shoulder and we're DONE.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

I couldn't have said it better! The last sentence speaks volumes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

jeezem, P34, OneOnOne, CeltsFan4life

I sure hope you guys are right.  I really do.  I sure hope we are able to stay healthy and continue to juggle things all while getting the production from everyone.  I sure hope JON returns at some point healthy enough to contribute and stay on the court.  I hope Shaq and Semih can handle their increased minutes AND stay out of foul trouble.

I enjoy the back and forth and I really respect all of your opinions although mine and BiasLewis' are the more valid ones.  :-).  Really, I can't wait until it plays out.

I hope whatever we do, we win games. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

We're like that old car running short on gas. Can we get to our destination with Doc driving? Doc will turn off the engine to conserve gas, make BBD, Erden and Daniels push for awhile while PP and RA are in the front and back seat. We'll pick KG up and Doc can start the car again. Once we pick up Perk, he'll have to do some pushing too. The only problem is we got someone who doesn't want to push (JON) and we need to drop him off but can't because he's injured. Let's hope there is someone at a rest stop that is 6'11. Well what do you know it's Sheed! When JON goes to the bathroom.....cut rubber and we're out of there!! :-) On our way to #18.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

[QUOTE]We're like that old car running short on gas. Can we get to our destination with Doc driving? Doc will turn off the engine to conserve gas, make BBD, Erden and Daniels push for awhile while PP and RA are in the front and back seat. We'll pick KG up and Doc can start the car again. Once we pick up Perk, he'll have to do some pushing too. The only problem is we got someone who doesn't want to push (JON) and we need to drop him off but can't because he's injured. Let's hope there is someone at a rest stop that is 6'11. Well what do you know it's Sheed! When JON goes to the bathroom.....cut rubber and we're out of there!! :-) On our way to #18.

LOL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Practical Solution : jeezem, you are extremely optimistic but none of what you say has happened this season.  JON is not working out.  I doubt very seriously that JON will get a " minor scope ". [/QUOTE]Perkins has been out all season too - should they waive his contract?  KG has been injured over the last couple years several times.  Delone West has played less minutes than JO all year and we're not talking about waiving a guy that has not played at all, we're talking about a guy that has the potential to make a big difference in the playoffs this year and next, a guy who's been on the all star team 5 times.  JO did not blow out an ACL or MCL he just has some tension in the knee that is causing swelling and some pain - can they scope that and fix it - I don't know I'm not a doctor, but I'd be willing to bet since the beginning of the season this was a known issue - and they decided, with help of the medical staff to see if he could get past the knee and if it would fully heal on it's own.  They're probably also aware that a scope procedure to remove scar tissue is not major knee surgery - and the recovery is much faster.  The plan was to try to get him to play before Perk came back and he has done some of that and contributed in some wins.  With Perk about ready to come back, it is likely (Doc seems to magically know he'll be having a procedure done) JO will have a scope on his knee and return hopefully in 4-6 weeks to play the end of the season and playoffs.  You really don't think the Organization that is the Celtics has a plan for just about every contingency?  I'll bet they try to scope his knee and rehab him for the end of the season.  Several people  just seem to be rooting against the guy and seem to not want him to contribute.    Root against the Lakers not the guys sitting on your teams bench.  A little Karma goes a long way.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]We're like that old car running short on gas. Can we get to our destination with Doc driving? Doc will turn off the engine to conserve gas, make BBD, Erden and Daniels push for awhile while PP and RA are in the front and back seat. We'll pick KG up and Doc can start the car again. Once we pick up Perk, he'll have to do some pushing too. The only problem is we got someone who doesn't want to push (JON) and we need to drop him off but can't because he's injured. Let's hope there is someone at a rest stop that is 6'11. Well what do you know it's Sheed! When JON goes to the bathroom.....cut rubber and we're out of there!! :-) On our way to #18.

This one made my day!  My wife wondered what I was laughing at....smile.

Let's keep the faith that Danny and Doc will get us through this, whether its with a move or managing minutes properly.  Either way, we are in agreement that we can't count on JON.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Great post.