Prediction: a 30-game Season and then Playoffs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: Prediction: a 30-game Season and then Playoffs

In Response to Re: Prediction: a 30-game Season and then Playoffs:
    At least we are participating in a process (this blog) to discuss and identify differences and possible solutions. That is much more than the NBA is doing right now!
    Posted by BCSP

Agree with you.  I haven't heard or read much about the NBA negotiations yet.  Unlike, the NFL where they were in the news almost everyday until it was finally settled.  About the only news about the NBA is that many of the players are possibly going to be playing overseas.  That isn't a very good sign. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

no matter what it is, 30, 50 or 70, doc stands ready with a capable plan to over use the stinking treads off of ray allen's sneakers while at the same time managing to hold steady if not increase pierce's minutes played. 

but don't worry, rondo will play cat and mouse with his offensive game the whole time and KG will only play 28 a night so we'll be all set

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Mr. Stern, what a great leader you are. No serious talks between owners and players in over a month, with one casual meeting scheduled for sometime post Irene. 

I am guessing your plan / strategy is to wait to until the start of camp and hope the players cave. Please tell me I am wrong!

Here is a thought, how about stepping up to the plate and leading! Schedule and facilitate productive meetings and become the voice of reason between management and labor! 

Allow both sides to air their grievances, and from there identify common ground. Once common ground is identified, chip away at the issues until all issues are resolved.

Hey it's not perfect, but at least it is a plan!

Silence is not golden, productive communication is!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I am starting to think this prediction may be a "best case" scenario.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Prediction: a 30-game Season and then Playoffs : No season is a great situation for the Celtics. Us fans will just have to wait for July 1, 2012.
    Posted by Fiercest34

I would be very disappointed if the Celtics don't play this season.  It is my favorite sport and I always look forward to the start of the basketball season. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I think the owners will eventually win out......they appear to be in it for the long haul....of course this is at the expense of supporting businesses, employees, and fans.....

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Fiercest 34 - I could not have stated it better myself. I prefer a lost season versus watching the Heat hoist the championship trophy!

If the season is lost, it will be interesting to see what the NBA does with the draft. My hope is a strait up lotto (one ball for each team).

Dwight Howard and the #1 pick!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Fiercest 34 - I could not have stated it better myself. I prefer a lost season versus watching the Heat hoist the championship trophy! If the season is lost, it will be interesting to see what the NBA does with the draft. My hope is a strait up lotto (one ball for each team). Dwight Howard and the #1 pick!
    Posted by BCSP

Not sure how the NBA would handle the draft if the season is lost.  What you propose definitely makes sense.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

Maybe we'll all get lucky and this will end David Stern as NBA comissioner. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

The NFL model appears to work: why not use it?

To a point I agree with the owners, using Eddie Curry as an example, after inking a big deal he goes on a 4-year eating binge which results in his failure to fulfill the obligations of his contract. Why should the Knicks pay him not to perform? You perform; you get paid! What a concept!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Response to Re: Prediction: a 30-game Season and then Playoffs : Well its what you say or that there are lots of teams losing money and that night after night there are thousands of empty seats throughout the league. People tend to blame owners for being successful - the main reason they are successful is because they are smart business owners, so when many of them are losing tons of money people like to basically say they are billionairres so who cares as long as they continue to employ people who otherwise would likely be unemployable in any capacity. Baseball is not broken, there is a luxury tax which funnels funds to teams who then don't spend the money but that does not mean the smaller market teams are losing money. The communism commonly found in Massachusetts tends to blur the line between being successful and then the responsibility to be irresponsible with their money. Kind of like the president saying that the wealthy should pay their share - the top 10% pay 70%  of all taxes and 51% pay absolutely nothing - sounds like some are paying vastly more than their share but if you listen to the President its as if there are 100million Americans that cannot figure out which Bentley to take to the club for today's round of golf. One of UBL's stated goals was to destroy the US economy and while Obama was obligated to assassinate once he was found (and never would have been if they had closed Gitmo - as Obama promised "on day one") Obama vows to continue to make sure that UBL's goal of destroying the US economy to ensure his legacy lives on.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

You realize that over half of the people who did not pay taxes last year were under 18 and over 65?
    Back to NBA, MLB has the complete opposite of what the NBA wants, no cap, no max contract, shared revanue not being spent on teams etc...  Also at this point it is the Dan Gilberts of the world wanting a NBA Franchise but does not want to have to pay for the talents. If he owned a steel mill he would be ask all more sucessful owners to spend less money on iron so he has a chance to keep up with them. Buss and Dolan are willing to bend a little Gilbert isn't and this will cause the owners to crack.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

There is no effort on either side to negotiate, since last weeks meeting, This is going to get ugly.

I wonder if ESPN is scrambling to obtain the rights to televise Euro league basketball (in the US). I am guessing that is where a number of US players will be playing this season.

I say bring on College and High School basketball!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

if they play a 30 game season it would be a waste........
    the minimum is 50...

with 30 games all you play is division and league games...there would have to be some out of conference games..

30 games and 50 games would take basically the same number of days on the callander.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

The way things are looking, no games until at least February. That would allow for a 30 (maybe 50) game season, and then play-offs.

There is not much chance of a settlement, when neither side is talking!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

It appears de-certification is coming (agents are slowly taking control). The NBA will be lucky to have a season at all!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Bill Plasche nailed it yesterday when he pointed out that the average NBA salary is $5.5M......much higher than MLB or the NFL....the players are way overpaid.....some of them are great athletes but mediocre basketball players...

also, if the season ends up going only between 30-50 games I think the title  needs a giant asterisk!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

if they play a 30 game season it would be a waste........ the minimum is 50... with 30 games all you play is division and league games...there would have to be some out of conference games.. 30 games and 50 games would take basically the same number of days on the callander.
    Posted by DoctorCO

I think that the minimum # of games that would be played is 50.  I still hope that this can be settled in the next month so they can begin the season sometime in early December. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Prediction: a 30-game Season and then Playoffs : I think that the minimum # of games that would be played is 50.  I still hope that this can be settled in the next month so they can begin the season sometime in early December. 
    Posted by susan250

I said it in July, and August-  NO season this year - the owners are not going to cave, and the players are too greedy, and basically lied!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I am a bit confused about the agent's role in this negotiation. They continue to fire up the players, which has resulted in an increase in rhetoric. 

I am hearing through the grapevine they want to decertify the union. Lets see, currently it is greed versus greed. Post decertification, it will be greed X 2 (players and agents combined) versus greed.    

If the agents have a voice, then why hasn't a microphone been given to all of the business owners, who are about to be adversely affected by the cancellation of these games?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I wouldn't bet against the C's in a 30-game season, then playoffs"

You won't bet for them either because it's NEVER GONNA HAPPEN. 

Did you not read the other reasonable posts that followed? 

50 game minimum for an NBA season. Less than that, no season.

I'm thinking there will be a season but we're not close yet....sides still far apart

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

The shortest season will be best for our older Celtics.  It just isn't what the fans want.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I agree, a shortened season would definitely benefit the Celtics. My only concern, is who will play center? JO might last 30-games. I would love to see the C's pick up G. Oden! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoCalCeltFan. Show SoCalCeltFan's posts

A 30 game season makes perfect sense for the NBA, IF they turn the Playoffs into a 24 team 2 out of 3 elimination tournament, until you reach the 'Sweet 16'. The owners keep all Playoff gate and TV receipts since players are not paid by the owners during the Playoffs. The games during the regular 'season' would be more meaningful for players and owners and fans. First couple of rounds..2/3, next couple...3/5, 4/7 for the final rounds.

Sections
Shortcuts