Prediction: a 30-game Season and then Playoffs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Prediction: a 30-game Season and then Playoffs

My prediction for the upcoming season, a 30-game schedule (lockout ends in Feb) and then playoffs. A reduced number of regular season games will give the C's a big advantage, if Danny can add the right pieces (physical center who can defend and score in the post, and a small forward who can defend LJ ,and draw fouls on the offensive end).

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

Re: Prediction: a 30-game Season and then Playoffs

Guys,

50 GAME SEASON MINIMUM....

I heard Ideal they can do 82 games UNTIL the 2nd week of NOVEMBER...

Then FROM 82 it goes to 70 UNTIL half way through Dec.

Then from DEC to half way through January we play 50 games..

If we reach Feb and no deal. Theres no season...

What could happen is a ramp up of the next season to start earlyer where teams would play 1 game a week . instead of the 2 to 3 times in normal times......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Stern, I truly believe, doesn't want a season.  I think he is a stubborn old goat who is telling the owners not to give an inch........(okay he doesn't get paid, but he makes more than most of the players...I'm SURE he has a nice little retirement egg).  This will be the last thing he does as Commish, and from what I know and have read, he'll want his legacy to be a big, fat........"I told you so"......to the players!

At least in football, they always said there was progress.  In the NBA, he takes great pride in telling us there has been NO progress.
    At least in the NFL, the owners all agreed they were sitting on a cash cow and had to make a deal to make money.  In the NBA, some owners think they will make more money (or lose less money, I guess) if there is NO season?

This is not good, folks...I think Stern is smarter than Hunter, and I think he has been plotting this for two years.  Until the revenue sharing thing gets settled more equitably  (from what I have read, the 53-47 split was for this CBA, and the next one they would switch, with the owners getting 53-47......players said no), the contract talks, MLE, trade exceptions, etc are all on the back burner.  If what I've read is correct, the players reneged on a deal.  Add that to the LeBron collusion with his buds, and you have some pretty peeved owners!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

My feeling is that this thing will get corrected sooner rather than later. There is too much at stake given the dire economic climate. Jobs, revenue to local businessess, municipal tax revenues, tv contracts,potential free agents, Nike endorsements and other direct and indirect streams of revenue generated by the NBA machine.
     Pressure will mount for a mediator/arbitrator to step in and hammer out a deal . At least i hope so....
    With the National Basketball Association’s upcoming season imperiled by a persistent lockout, league officials, players and even fan advocates are quietly preparing to take their fight to Washington, D.C. A canceled season could mean billions of dollars lost throughout every level of the game, from team owners and broadcasters to municipal governments and downtown businesses. Such a situation would likely prove unpalatable to many lawmakers, particularly those bent on accelerating economic growth and preserving jobs. Politico

“If it looks like it’s getting to that tipping point, I absolutely suspect Congress will start making noise,” said Brian Frederick, executive director of the Sports Fans Coalition. “And yes, we will definitely push Congress if games get missed. The fans and businesses around stadiums have a vested interest in games being played.” The Sports Fans Coalition has hired David Goodfriend, a deputy staff secretary to President Bill Clinton and former legal adviser to the Federal Communications Commission, as its staff lobbyist. Through June, the coalition has spent $40,000 this year on federal lobbying, according to federal records – a number Frederick says will “absolutely” increase this autumn if NBA players remain locked out. Politico

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml#ixzz1UOXfAMsq

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickFaldo. Show NickFaldo's posts

In Response to Re: Prediction: a 30-game Season and then Playoffs:
    Don't forget that it's to the owners benefit if there is no NBA season. No matter how rich you are, not paying KG 21.2m and Ray Allen 10m is a lot of money saved. The owners definitely have deeper pockets than the players. So if the players won't cave in then there will be no season. I won't be surprised if the NBA will reopen with a new CBA featuring a hard cap.
    Posted by Fiercest34

It's a lie to say the owners are losing money. It's like landlords expecting tenants to pay extra, because they no longer are happy with the original bill and mortgage. But those landlords are still raking it in.

This is about rich owners who want to basically steal money back employees won through previous negotiations.

The players are willing to give plenty back, but the owners are acting extra greedy. As for Wyc saving all that money on bloated KG, Ray, and Pierce contracts, he's not actually saving money because there will be no revenue. Remember, the Celtics turn a profit. He will be losing money from the lockout. He just figures it's an investment to lose some this year to make much more in future years.

Seeing that the Celtics window is probably shut anyway, that's why he has been one of the more likely owners to lead the charge for his greedy pursuits. He, Danny, and Doc are acting like the window is shut. Wyc wants a good CBA because it will benefit the Celtics in many ways. They are now one of the only teams ready to dominate free agent markets due to Danny setting it up that way. If Wyc was on the level he would be proposing revenue sharing between the richer teams to the poorer ones. Has he done that? It's all well and good for us as Celtics fans. It's like being a Red Sox fan. Baseball's broken but we are one of the only cities that benefits. It doesn't make it right just because our team benefits.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

Nick

NBA superstars getting 11-13m is understandable. But when players like Kobe and KG are getting 20m or more a season, it's mind boggling. That's just too much spent on one player. 

The owners have every right to be greedy. It's their business, they're the ones taking risks. Why else would someone with a lot of money pay 400m for an NBA franchise if he doesn't think he can make a lot of money from it.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Guys, 50 GAME SEASON MINIMUM.... I heard Ideal they can do 82 games UNTIL the 2nd week of NOVEMBER... Then FROM 82 it goes to 70 UNTIL half way through Dec. Then from DEC to half way through January we play 50 games.. If we reach Feb and no deal. Theres no season... What could happen is a ramp up of the next season to start earlyer where teams would play 1 game a week . instead of the 2 to 3 times in normal times......
    Posted by DoctorCO

I agree with you.   My understanding is that they have to play at least 50 games.  Similar # of games that they played the last time this happened. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Prediction: a 30-game Season and then Playoffs : It's a lie to say the owners are losing money. It's like landlords expecting tenants to pay extra, because they no longer are happy with the original bill and mortgage. But those landlords are still raking it in. This is about rich owners who want to basically steal money back employees won through previous negotiations. The players are willing to give plenty back, but the owners are acting extra greedy. As for Wyc saving all that money on bloated KG, Ray, and Pierce contracts, he's not actually saving money because there will be no revenue. Remember, the Celtics turn a profit. He will be losing money from the lockout. He just figures it's an investment to lose some this year to make much more in future years. Seeing that the Celtics window is probably shut anyway, that's why he has been one of the more likely owners to lead the charge for his greedy pursuits. He, Danny, and Doc are acting like the window is shut. Wyc wants a good CBA because it will benefit the Celtics in many ways. They are now one of the only teams ready to dominate free agent markets due to Danny setting it up that way. If Wyc was on the level he would be proposing revenue sharing between the richer teams to the poorer ones. Has he done that? It's all well and good for us as Celtics fans. It's like being a Red Sox fan. Baseball's broken but we are one of the only cities that benefits. It doesn't make it right just because our team benefits.
    Posted by NickFaldo

Well its what you say or that there are lots of teams losing money and that night after night there are thousands of empty seats throughout the league.

People tend to blame owners for being successful - the main reason they are successful is because they are smart business owners, so when many of them are losing tons of money people like to basically say they are billionairres so who cares as long as they continue to employ people who otherwise would likely be unemployable in any capacity.

Baseball is not broken, there is a luxury tax which funnels funds to teams who then don't spend the money but that does not mean the smaller market teams are losing money.

The communism commonly found in Massachusetts tends to blur the line between being successful and then the responsibility to be irresponsible with their money.

Kind of like the president saying that the wealthy should pay their share - the top 10% pay 70%  of all taxes and 51% pay absolutely nothing - sounds like some are paying vastly more than their share but if you listen to the President its as if there are 100million Americans that cannot figure out which Bentley to take to the club for today's round of golf.

One of UBL's stated goals was to destroy the US economy and while Obama was obligated to assassinate once he was found (and never would have been if they had closed Gitmo - as Obama promised "on day one") Obama vows to continue to make sure that UBL's goal of destroying the US economy to ensure his legacy lives on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Political garbage.

Pud

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In Response to Re: Prediction: a 30-game Season and then Playoffs : Well its what you say or that there are lots of teams losing money and that night after night there are thousands of empty seats throughout the league. People tend to blame owners for being successful - the main reason they are successful is because they are smart business owners, so when many of them are losing tons of money people like to basically say they are billionairres so who cares as long as they continue to employ people who otherwise would likely be unemployable in any capacity. Baseball is not broken, there is a luxury tax which funnels funds to teams who then don't spend the money but that does not mean the smaller market teams are losing money. The communism commonly found in Massachusetts tends to blur the line between being successful and then the responsibility to be irresponsible with their money. Kind of like the president saying that the wealthy should pay their share - the top 10% pay 70%  of all taxes and 51% pay absolutely nothing - sounds like some are paying vastly more than their share but if you listen to the President its as if there are 100million Americans that cannot figure out which Bentley to take to the club for today's round of golf. One of UBL's stated goals was to destroy the US economy and while Obama was obligated to assassinate once he was found (and never would have been if they had closed Gitmo - as Obama promised "on day one") Obama vows to continue to make sure that UBL's goal of destroying the US economy to ensure his legacy lives on.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Consider it done..At least phase One..
    Just watch,,,tomorrow the market will rebound.based on commodities and futures....miraculously...an the press will say good times are here again..
    .the credit down grade was accomplished on purpose...some speculate it takes 10 to 15 years to overcome a down grade...who wants to pay more for everything...I know i do...i can always sell my corporate Jet or Bentley, right???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

cant be 30 guys...

MINIMUM 50..

because with 50 the break down is this....30 games in league...20 out of league......

With 30 what do you do..play divisional games then out of league...

its 50 MINIMUM...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

It would be nice to see Lebron's first title be in a meaningless 30 game season, with a nice juicy asterisk next to it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Only thing better, if it would be against the Slackers!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I think part of Stern's hard line stance is because a lot of the public believes that the league is losing money, so he has the public relations advantage

the NFL dispute favored the players in a lot of regards other than the rookie wage scale

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I wouldn't bet against the C's in a 30-game season, then playoffs. Especially if DA picks up the right FAs and rooks blend in quickly and well.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

Guys,

30 games wont happen..

50 minimum......

then 70.......

then a really cramped 82......

if they cant do the normal 82...cramped 82 games means lots of back to backs...with a couple back to back to backs..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

Lets face it everyone assumed that Doc Rivers would take a year off to see his son play his "one and done" freshman year at Duke. The moment Doc quickly announced he is back seemingly giving up all those Duke games, it shocked everyone. But upon closer look Doc was pretty sure he would not be missing ANY of his son's games at Duke this year.

When guys are now signing overseas contracts, it is becoming hard to believe they will play this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

There have been no serious negotiations to date. No games until 2012, at the earliest.

In my opinion this hurts Miami more than any other team. They have eveything to loose (revenue / championships) and nothing to gain!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

The guaranteed contracts situation has to be changed.  it keeps bums in the league.  multi million dollar bums, and i'm sick of it.  Owners don't get guaranteed contracts regardless of whether or not their team stinks.  The success of the product they put out directly effects their profits.  And it's still not a fair comparison because they bought in.  the players don't bye into the league.  their not putting money down up front.  it's insane that someone is able to not produce and still maintain their job let alone a job that pays them millions.  if I were speaking in the range of a hundred thousand per then many unionized teachers would apply to this fundamental problem as well.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

At least we are participating in a process (this blog) to discuss and identify differences and possible solutions. That is much more than the NBA is doing right now!

Sections
Shortcuts