Predictions-Celtics lineup next year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from smdecat. Show smdecat's posts

Predictions-Celtics lineup next year

I think the general consensus this year is that the C's will get in the playoffs but will not make the finals.  They are just to beat up and lack quality depth due to injuries and age. So looking to next year...already.

Big questions:

Will the Celtics retain both KG and Ray?

I think they will keep KG but will structure a deal to free up cap space.  KG is still a starter on this team.  I don't think he would want to be a role player for a contender, or a starter for another team. I just don't think it's in his DNA. I think Ray is gone. I don't think he would gravitate to a back up role for the C's for considerably less money, but would most likely do so for a contender who would most likely pay more than the C's will.

Who will the Celtics retain next year?

I think they keep, Pierce, Rondo, Pietrus, Green, Wilcox, Steamer, Bradley, JJ (could be trade bait), Garnett, Bass, Moore (could be trade bait?).

Gone:

Dooling, Pavlovic, JON, Daniels, Hollins and Ray

Questions?

Will they go after a big ticket center?

The cards would have to be right for DA to do this.  He needs to do this.  However, I am thinking he won't pull the trigger and sacrifice a first round pick for this and will settle for an above average young journeyman type center.

Who will fill Ray's shoes?

I think Pietrus is very capable of doing so.  They may take a shot at some big name FA (Mayo..Gordon..Delfino) but there is a lot of depth in the FA market for a 2.  I think Pietrus becomes a starter.

My guess at the 2012/13 lineup:

1. Rondo (Bradley/Moore off the bench)
    2. Pietrus (FA off the bench)
    3. Pierce (Green off the bench and may actually assume a starting role towards the end of the season)
    4. KG (Bass and JJ off the bench)
    5. TBD (We will have a new face here...it's just a matter of DA going after a big ticket player or an average player...Steamer and Wilcox off the bench).

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elven 32. Show Elven 32's posts

Re: Predictions-Celtics lineup next year

The Ancient 3, Rhondo and a some d-league/talentless euro at center. It's obvious that high profile valuable free agent players have no desire to play in Boston.

Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions-Celtics lineup next year:
    [QUOTE]The Ancient 3, Rhondo and a some d-league/talentless euro at center. It's obvious that high profile valuable free agent players have no desire to play in Boston.
    Posted by Elven 32[/QUOTE]

Next year's starting point guard will Williams from NC, his stock will fall becuase of his injuries and we won't have to wait 6 years to see if he is going to learn to shoot.  Danny will move Rondo at a discount but we have had enough, haven't we.  The rest will be a bunch of guys that will add up to 25 wins.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

If KG stays, I predict Ray will stay and accept a 6th man role.  Ray loves Doc, KG, and Paul.  They are all tight now and Ray's made a lot of money over his career.  He's in an area he loves and his family is happy.   I predict that money is less important than all these things above to Ray.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]If KG stays, I predict Ray will stay and accept a 6th man role.  Ray loves Doc, KG, and Paul.  They are all tight now and Ray's made a lot of money over his career.  He's in an area he loves and his family is happy.   I predict that money is less important than all these things above to Ray.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

In order for a player to take a lesser role, there has to be a better player.  The Cs have no better players and no chance of obtaining better players, so Ray will have to take a discount just to take a discount, otherwise he will go somewhere he will get paid more.  Do you even watch basketball?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Rose, LeBron, Durant, Love, Griffin.
    I'm predicting one hell of an offseason.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Hibbert is the first domino/then McGee/then Kaman

Mayo/Gordon/Young is the second domino

I agree Rondo will be traded - let's be WILD here and say Rondo is traded to MEM for Conley and Cunningham

Conley/Bradley
    Mayo/Ray OR Pietrus
    Pierce/Green
    KG/Bass
    Hibbert/McGee/Kaman

2 good draft picks to go with Moore, JJJ and Cunningham.

I think that would be an exciting team!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

PG: D. Williams
    SG: Mayo
    SF: Baytum
    PF: KG
    Center: Kaman

Bench: Pierce, Bradley, Pietrus, Hollins, Steimsma, JJ Johnson, & Bass

3-quality draft picks: Henson (NC), Taylor (Vandy), Miller (UK)

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I posted this separately but a good copy & paste here I think  as I feel we should keep our BIG 3 next season and can make a run at the title if we can solve our lack of strength rebounding.  And, if we need give up Rondo to do it, so be it !!!

I know it's a different sport,  football,  but I remind everyone of  “the Over The Hill Gang" when I read posts that the Celtics’ BIG 3 are too old.  The average age of The Redskin’s starters was 31 years old.  However, Allen's strategy turned the Redskins around as the team improved to a 9-4-1 record in 1971, and finished the 1972 season with an NFC-best 11–3 record. The retooled Redskins' nine victories in 1971 was the most by a Washington team in 29 years. In his seven seasons with the club, Allen and his veterans produced seven winning records,  five playoff appearances, and one trip to the Super Bowl.    

Re: Basketball & Age, see link:
    "Better With Age??? Over the Hill Mavericks still know how to win !!!"

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/03/24/12/Aging-Mavericks-still-know-how-to-win/landing_rockets.html?blockID=695436&feedID=3803

By the way, Duncan, Ginobli and Parker of Spurs, still very competitive, are not young kids either !!!

As I am 73 years old I favor older players and I still play competitive USTA  Super Senior(over 65) tennis tournaments & beat most people my age at my level.  But I also beat people 15-20 years younger and, sure, I use slices, topspin, drop shot, lobs etc. & mix up my game but because of experience, I many times beat a younger more athletic player.  Yes, we should look to the future bringing up younger players in the draft but I really think we still have a nucleus that can bring us a title in the next 1 or 2 years & I think we’ve  got it missing one very important ingredient, a dominating rebounding center and that’s why we should do every thing possible to get D. Howard keeping our BIG 3 if possible. I’ve said this in another post that D.Howard w/o anyone like our BIG 3, Rose, Kobe, Durant & Westbrook, Paul & Griffin, Lebron & James etc. still makes the Magic competitive and it’s all due to him.  Definitely keep Stiemsma & draft a potential star center.  I don’t feel Kaman and Hollins are the answer to dominance. They’ll make us better but not contenders for the title, I feel !!!  

Comments ???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

Why doesn't anyone try to figure out what players Boston can actually afford instead of just putting names on a wish list?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Rondo, free agent, Hibbert, first round draft choice, Pierce.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

I like that, we have lots of cap room, and two first round choices to play with!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In case you didn't read the link about the Mavericks possibly being better with age, I copy and paste the folowing : "Their core of Marion, Jason Kidd, Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry and Vince Carter averages 34.8 years of age. Kidd, their point guard, turned 39 on Friday. And these are basically the same Mavericks that won the NBA championship just one year ago".

So, I say, keep our BIG 3 and get some competent rebounding help and I recommend D. Howard if any way possible !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Predictions-Celtics lineup next year : In order for a player to take a lesser role, there has to be a better player.  The Cs have no better players and no chance of obtaining better players, so Ray will have to take a discount just to take a discount, otherwise he will go somewhere he will get paid more.  Do you even watch basketball?
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

"no chance of obtaining a better player." bull****.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

[QUOTE]Why doesn't anyone try to figure out what players Boston can actually afford instead of just putting names on a wish list?
    Posted by Mark from Ct[/QUOTE]

because we can afford anynone who wants to come play in boston.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

PG - Rondo, Bradley SG - Green, Allen (if he comes back) or 1st rounder (Austin Rivers. If he falls to C's, gotta get him) SF - Pierce, Pietrius PF - KG, Bass, JJJ C - Javelle McGee, 1st rounder, Stiesma

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Predictions-Celtics lineup next year : because we can afford anynone who wants to come play in boston.
    Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.  The Celtics are going to have a lot of money to sign players next season to begin the rebuidling process. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

[QUOTE]PG - Rondo, Bradley SG - Green, Allen (if he comes back) or 1st rounder (Austin Rivers. If he falls to C's, gotta get him) SF - Pierce, Pietrius PF - KG, Bass, JJJ C - Javelle McGee, 1st rounder, Stiesma
    Posted by Accension13[/QUOTE]

i don't think green's a 2. and we're not drafting austin rivers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from smdecat. Show smdecat's posts

I just don't think DA will trade Rondo. Unless it is in combination to land a big name center.  I think the Pacers will do whatever is necessary to sign Hibbert.  They have a young, athletic team and are perennial contendors in the future with him.  I would think that they would be willing to cut ties with Hill and Hansbrough before they lose him.  Good centers are much harder to come by, they would be foolish to let him walk.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Predictions-Celtics lineup next year : because we can afford anynone who wants to come play in boston.
    Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE]

Boston can't afford anyone that wants to play there.
    How much do you expect Green and KG will play for?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Predictions-Celtics lineup next year : In order for a player to take a lesser role, there has to be a better player.  The Cs have no better players and no chance of obtaining better players, so Ray will have to take a discount just to take a discount, otherwise he will go somewhere he will get paid more.  Do you even watch basketball?
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]
    Bet I watch, read, and coach more than you, dudhead, I mean Dudder.

The C's have no chance of obtaining better players?  Why do you even post here if you're going to say stupid things?   The C's have 2 first round picks, loads of cap space, and returning players that will be able to step up (Pietrus and likely Jeff Green).   

Why am I even responding to a troll like you.   I always wondered why you get your joy from posting on a site for a team you clearly don't like.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

In response to "Re: Predictions-Celtics lineup next year": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Predictions-Celtics lineup next year : i don't think green's a 2. and we're not drafting austin rivers. Posted by kaktug[/QUOTE] Don't be so certain about Rivers.. I am not a guy that is in love with Austin Rivers or who believes that he can come to the C's and play for his dad without there being controversy. I do believe he will be around when the C's pick, and at that point he will likely be too good a prospect to pass on. As far as green, he can play some 2 guard. It's not his natural position, but if he can get back to where he was, he deserves to start. He and pierce together could work as secondary ball handlers for the starting unit. Having both in the starting lineup helps rebounding, and green's length could cause problems for other teams SG. Not a perfect p,an, but a realistic one.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

This has nothing to do with this discussion but I was happy to see our alumnus, Perkins, put up 16 pts vs, Miami tonight & played good "D" on LeBron & Bosh.  Hope another one of our likeable alumni, Tony Allen, helps Memphis beat the Lakers tonight !!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rebels345209. Show Rebels345209's posts

I will take a shot with next years lineup...... Point Guard: Rondo returns as starter unless a major trade was to happen and to be honest if Rondo is moved it blows up all of our predictions. Celtics shell out some money for Goran Dragic (2 years, 7 million). Dragic can play both guard spots (alongside and to spell Rondo). Goran can get hot and plays with great energy. Has played very well as a starter since Lowry went down. Dragic likely won't find a starting job by signing a 2 year deal he hits free agency again at only 26 years old. Bradley returns and is capable of playig point but he is better cast at shooting guard playing with Dragic on the 2nd unit Shooting Guard: Ray Allen walks in free agency (Miami or Clippers or dark horse Thunder sign the classy vet). Celtics sign wing scorer Nick Young in free agency (3 years 17 million). With a PG who averages double digit assists Young could get better looks and wouldn't need to iso as much as he did in Washington to get his hoops. Not his biggest fan but the kid can score. Bradley returns to provide the necessary spark on defense. Pietrus finds work elsewhere while Daniels ponders retirement Small Forward Captain Paul Pierce returns and Jeff Green returns after signing team friendly 1 year deal worth 6Mlion with a player option. Green looks to show he is healthy and ready to continue his NBA career and could opt out and pursue a new contract after the season. Matt Barnes is signed for 1 year ( player option for year two) 2 million dollars Power Forward Kevin Garnett returns to retire a Celtic (2 year 20 million). Unless KG is blown away by another deal I think he returns and the guy can still play. Reggie Evans signs a (1 year 1.5M deal) Evans provides toughness and rebounding * Celtics trade Jujuan Johnson, a signed and trade Brandon Bass (2 years, 14M), and a first round pick (either ours or Clippers) in a 3 team deal that sends Ben Gordon and Brandon Bass to Jazz with our first rouser. Millsap and Johnson land in Detroit and the Celtics land Al Jefferson. Celtics have the cap space to absorb Big Al's contract. Jazz need to free up space and playing time for Favors and Kanter. Bass has been willing to come off the bench in all of his stops. Jazz get a pick, Bass and Gordon to retool with Favors and Kanter. Jazz get help at power forward with Paul Millsap. Celtics use there cap space to absorb Jeffersons contract Center Al Jefferson starts. Tyler Zeller is drafted with the first rounder we don't end up trading. Steimsma is retained also (2 years 2.5 million) Depth chart: PG: Rondo, Dragic, Bradley SG: Young, Bradley SF: Pierce, Green, Barnes PF: Garnett, Green, Evans C: Jefferson, Zeller, Steimsma Outgoing salary (2011-2012 salaries) KG expired 21M, Allen expired 10M, Bass player option declined 4M, Dooling/Wilcox/ONeal/Daniels/Pavlovic/Moore/Pietrus/Steimsma expiring deals combining Roughly 25 million Total expiring: 60 million Added salary for 12-13 Garnett 10M Young 6M Dragic 3.5M Green 6M Barnes 2M Evans 1.5M Jefferson 14M Steamer 1.2M Zellers rookie contract of around 2-3 million replaces Johnsons similar cap hit Total added cap Roughly 47M Celtics pretty much add 1 max contract and don't add any horrible deals. This team is pretty deep also with Green being able to play with Big Al at the 4 spot. Dragic and Bradley would be a nuasance on the 2nd unit and although we would all like a better option than Young he can get hot and be a scorer. The Jefferson deal isn't even unrealistic. We have seen rebuilding teams do crazier things than that and the jazz have two young top 3 picks that they need to see. Zeller could be worth a pickup in round one. Kid played 4 years and is a legit center. Team looks fun and it isn't all that unrealistic. Dragic could very well get a bigger payday but oh we'll I'm a fan of him haha

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rebels345209. Show Rebels345209's posts

Oh and too add. Bass would decline his player option of about 4M (he has outplayed that) Celtics hold his hits rights so are able to facilitate the trade by signing him with our cap space and than sending him off

Sections
Shortcuts