Predictions vs the The Heat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Re: Predictions vs the The Heat

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat:
    In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : Get real the Heat will be ready well before the playoffs start and rude awakening will be coming for Celtics fans. 
    Posted by kobedaman

The rude awakening will come after Celtic fans celebrate after beating the Heat on opening night then celebrate again after Houston beats the Lakers on that very same night. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasB. Show EliasB's posts

Such a great post, I just had to put it up again! I hope you don't mind:

"The Celtics biggest potential problem with the Heat will be age and energy. If the Celtics can sustain the energy level needed to get through a seven game series with a Heat team that will punish them, and demand double teams at the  two and three spots, they can beat them. When you start a 32-year-old, a 33-year-old, a 34-year-old and a 35-year-old; two of those four have been in the NBA since they were 18 and thus have played more minutes (and taken more pounding) than nearly any similar-aged player in history. Even the sixth man will be 38, so the question will be, when does the decline of these players become so pervasive, it can no longer be overcome? 

The Lakers have the same question with 24, and sooner or later, mother nature will lay down the smack. The Celtics have this reality looming with multiple players potentially declining all at once. Maybe Rondo's game will continue to elevate and offset some of the overall decline of the aged, and keep the Celtics at a championship level for one more season."

I think the difference with Kobe is that the decline in his game has not been seen as of yet. Sure he's had a rough pre-season but don't count him out just yet - let's wait until the real season begins. 

Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : I'm not opposed to anything, just like to root for the home team, that's all.  And, of course, against Hopedale, Mendon, Upton, Holliston, Medway or any of those other sorry towns that have the privilege of bordering Milford.
    Posted by BirdandCowens

except those other towns dont feel so privelaged as to border milford

and for me, the heat are my home team...i was born in miami and spent enough time there that they are my team...alonzo mourning is my favorite player of all-time by far and ill definintely watch as he gets inducted into the Hall

lebron and bosh looked sharp last night and i hear wade is near 100% now

things are lookin up for opening night

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : The rude awakening will come after Celtic fans celebrate after beating the Heat on opening night then celebrate again after Houston beats the Lakers on that very same night. 
    Posted by P34

good luck with that

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : good luck with that
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

You really expect a Celtic fan to say that the Heat will win and the Lakers will beat the Rockets even if Bynum is not playing and Kobe is not 100%?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Such a great post, I just had to put it up again! I hope you don't mind: "The Celtics biggest potential problem with the Heat will be age and energy. If the Celtics can sustain the energy level needed to get through a seven game series with a Heat team that will punish them, and demand double teams at the  two and three spots, they can beat them. When you  start a 32-year-old, a 33-year-old, a 34-year-old and a 35-year-old; two of those four have been in the NBA since they were 18 and thus have played more minutes (and taken more pounding) than nearly any similar-aged player in history. Even the sixth man will be 38, so the question will be, when does the decline of these players become so pervasive, it can no longer be overcome?  The Lakers have the same question with 24, and sooner or later, mother nature will lay down the smack. The Celtics have this reality looming with multiple players potentially declining all at once. Maybe Rondo's game will continue to elevate and offset some of the overall decline of the aged, and keep the Celtics at a championship level for one more season." I think the difference with Kobe is that the decline in his game has not been seen as of yet. Sure he's had a rough pre-season but don't count him out just yet - let's wait until the real season begins. 
    Posted by EliasB

Hardy har har

He is a jump shooter now, 5 knee surgeries.....face it, he's on the decline.  PP is only 10 mos older than koME, with NO knee surgeries.  KG and koME both went over 41K in mins last year........how can KG be on the decline and koME can't?????

Only in la la lakers land......where Jerry West actually played in MN, and irregardless is a word!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : You really expect a Celtic fan to say that the Heat will win and the Lakers will beat the Rockets even if Bynum is not playing and Kobe is not 100%?
    Posted by P34

not at all

i was just saying good luck in getting that night

hell...IMO, you got half the night right!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : except those other towns dont feel so privelaged as to border milford and for me, the heat are my home team...i was born in miami and spent enough time there that they are my team...alonzo mourning is my favorite player of all-time by far and ill definintely watch as he gets inducted into the Hall lebron and bosh looked sharp last night and i hear wade is near 100% now things are lookin up for opening night
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

Didn't you say you were schooled in proper English by your Hopedalian Grandfather?  Your spelling on this and other threads would indicate otherwise!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : Hardy har har He is a jump shooter now, 5 knee surgeries.....face it, he's on the decline.  PP is only 10 mos older than koME, with NO knee surgeries.  KG and koME both went over 41K in mins last year........how can KG be on the decline and koME can't????? Only in la la lakers land......where Jerry West actually played in MN, and irregardless is a word!!!!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

Kobe is still a better player than anyone on the Celtics roster by a long shot. All that other nonsense in your post was too petty to deserve a response.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : except those other towns dont feel so privelaged as to border milford and for me, the heat are my home team...i was born in miami and spent enough time there that they are my team...alonzo mourning is my favorite player of all-time by far and ill definintely watch as he gets inducted into the Hall lebron and bosh looked sharp last night and i hear wade is near 100% now things are lookin up for opening night
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

I fail to see your purpose, then, in posting here.  Do you expect to stay on here all year and talk.....ah, smack, I guess that's what it is?  No one cares about the Heat on here, why don't you go to the MeBron, Wade and Bosh ball-washing sites that I'm sure must exist on Miami newspapers.  You'll either be ignored or banned if you keep this up, no one cares about the Miami Heat, this is a Celtics blog.  You do realize that, don't you?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : Didn't you say you were schooled in proper English by your Hopedalian Grandfather?  Your spelling on this and other threads would indicate otherwise!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

A. you called me out and told me that a real word, isnt one...not my fault bub
    B. are you really going to crucify me for putting an "E" where an "A" should have been while im work?

because if you are are going to play grammar nazi on here...just be prepared for it to be used against you as well

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : A.  Crucify is a little harsh, don't you think? B.  Go for it!! Irregardless IS a word because it is in the dictionary.  After the definition it says, "use regardless instead".  That means it is not a word to be used in any intelligent conversation.  And you were wrong to use it!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

i said nothing of its usage...its a word...end of story

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : Heat by 15 because they will be resting all their starters at the end.  Was that your prediction?  Okay, we got that, now just wait and see, BUB!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

one week from tonight.

i look forward to it

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : "irregardless" is a word.  I find it more than a coincidence that they say it IS a word.
    Posted by BirdandCowens

NICE!!  They are also about to learn another new thing.  Labron has no nuts in the clutch, irregardless of how excited they are about the classless narcissistic faker.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

Debate: Are Heat East's team to beat?

Question: Are the Miami Heat really the team to beat in the East?

BROUSSARD: I really like what the Boston Celtics did this past summer to strengthen their bench, and it's a good assumption that Rajon Rondo's improvement will continue. That said, I'm still picking the Miami Heat to win the East.

BUCHER: The hype about Miami is off the charts, so I can understand why anyone would be sucked into the South Beach vortex. But when we get back to the elements that actually win titles, the Celtics will loom over everyone again, as they have for the past three years. No doubt every team wants to beat the Heat -- badly. But that's not because they're considered the most invincible; it's because they, like you, are acting as if they're the team to beat. It's a bit obnoxious, particularly considering what LeBron James and Chris Bosh did -- or didn't do -- the last time we saw them in meaningful games.

It's pretty simple: The Celtics retained the nucleus that went to the wire with the defending champions and added depth and versatility to their bench. The rest of the Eastern Conference sees the Heat's title-contending ability right now as a possibility. The Celtics' championship worthiness is fact.

CB: Boston will definitely be the top competition for the Heat. I'm not writing them off by any means, but I'll take the team with two of the top five players and one of the top five big men in the league. Plus, Miami did a great job of surrounding them with shooters (Mike MillerEddie HouseJames Jones) and rebounding help (Udonis Haslem). They do lack a physical big man at center, but I think their Big Three is enough to overcome that, especially with each member of Boston's Big Three being older, past his prime and a threat to be injured.

RB: The Celtics were supposed to be too old last season. That clearly was an issue during the regular season, but they proved that their collective experience under playoff pressure is more powerful than pure athleticism. The Heat don't have that, and there is no guarantee that they can mesh under the pressure of elimination as well as Boston did.

CB: The Celtics' age as a potential hurdle makes perfect sense. After all, no one defies Father Time. The fact that Boston wasn't too old last season is irrelevant, because guess what? Kevin GarnettPaul Pierce and Ray Allen are all a year older, so thinking they'll play as well as they did last postseason may be wishful thinking. Shaquille O'Neal and Jermaine O'Neal are over the hill as well, and the injuredKendrick Perkins is an obvious question mark.

RB: For all the relative youth of the Miami Big Three, neither Dwyane Wade nor Bosh has ever played 82 games in his career, much less a 100-game run to the Finals. Even LeBron couldn't get through last season unscathed. The idea that Boston is second to the Heat simply because of the age of its respective stars doesn't make sense. As we've seen more often than not, youth is indeed served in the postseason -- served a plate of go-home-and-try-again-next-year.

CB: Let's be honest, Ric, LeBron gave younger, better Celtics teams all they wanted with second and third options who weren't perennial All-Stars. Now that his teammates include a future HOFer in his prime, a consistent All-Star and some proven veteran role players, you don't think he can upend them? The Celtics won't be able to focus their entire D on shutting down LeBron as they did in past playoff series, because now they'll have to worry about Wade and Bosh. If Bosh pulls KG outside and Zydrunas Ilgauskas takes Shaq or KP out of the paint, who's going to deter LeBron or D-Wade from attacking the rim at will? And I know you're aware of how susceptible Shaq is to the pick-and-roll or pick-and-pop.

RB: The Celtics accomplished what they did last season with KG at 65 percent; by all accounts he's at least 20 percent better than that. I realize it's a long season and, at Boston's age, getting worn down is a factor. But that's the advantage of their much-improved bench: They can eke out wins during the regular season even if they don't go with KG, Pierce and Allen every night. Although the Heat have to have two of their Big Three on the floor at all times, the Celtics don't, a luxury Boston didn't have a year ago. I'm not looking for Shaq to be a major playoff factor, but he should be able to help win a few games until Perkins is back around the All-Star break.

More than anything, what the Celtics proved is that when it comes to the postseason, they can indeed flip a switch and execute at a playoff level at both ends. They have proved they have the hearts of champions and aren't satisfied with one ring, as so many players are. Maybe LeBron and Bosh will step up to the challenge, but I've seen too many instances, for whatever reason, when they haven't. That is the very essence of why the Heat can't be considered the team to beat: They have exactly one player with the proven mettle to win a championship.

CB: You act as if LeBron and Bosh have been playoff bums just because they don't have rings. LeBron's playoff numbers are actually better than his regular-season ones. His career averages in the regular season are 27.8 points, 7 assists and 7 rebounds per game. His career playoff averages are 29.3 points, 7.3 assists and 8.4 rebounds per game. And for the John Hollinger fans, his career player efficiency rating in the regular season is 26.9 compared with 27.1 in the playoffs. Each time LeBron's Cavs lost to Boston, the Celtics were the far more talented team, and anyone who blames him for the 2009 Eastern Conference finals loss to Orlando just wasn't watching the games. (He topped 40 points three times while averaging 38.5 points, 8.3 rebounds and 8 assists.) And although Bosh hasn't had much playoff experience, his play when he's there has been as strong as during the regular season. (His career numbers are 20 points and nine rebounds per game for both the regular and postseason.)

RB: My eyes glazed over when you started reciting all those numbers to demonstrate that LeBron and Bosh have championship clutchness. (Yes, I'm creating my own lexicon.) Because we both know stats and averages have nothing to do with realizing the moment and making the most of it.

CB: To act as though one playoff series, game or play is indicative of a player's ability or inability to ever produce with a ring on the line is just wrong. When Isiah Thomas threw away the pass, the game and likely the series on the steal by Larry Bird in the '87 playoffs, it would have been easy to say Zeke just didn't have it in the clutch. That would've been wrong. In '07, when Kobe scored just three points against Phoenix in the second half of Game 7, it would have been easy to say he can't lead a team to a title, and that he needs to be second to a guy like Shaq. That would've been wrong. When Magic Johnson performed so poorly in the 1984 Finals that he was being called "Tragic" Johnson, some could've said he'd never again lead a team to a title. Again, wrong. Heck, KG was known for playoff failure before going to Boston, and Pierce's reputation was far from that of a winner before 2008.

My point is that you don't have nearly enough evidence or proof -- or any, really -- that LeBron and Bosh can't get it done in the clutch to keep harping on that as the Heat's Achilles' heel.

RB: The problem with comparing LeBron and Bosh to Magic, Isiah and Kobe is that we already knew the latter three guys could stand and deliver before they had those poor performances. They'd already proved they could lead a team or make the big play that clinched a series. LeBron and Bosh have not proved they can deliver when it matters most. In fact, they've proved the opposite -- not once but multiple times.

The reason I give the Heat a chance at winning a title is Wade has proved he can take another team's best shot and deliver a better one. But that's one guy. Pierce, KG, Allen, Rondo -- all have shown they can be that guy who will step up to win, or help win, the crucial game in a series. More importantly, the Celtics collectively understand what it takes and know they're capable of delivering it. Maybe Miami will figure that out. If it does, then it will be the team to beat. But not until then.

CB: LeBron's only playoff fumble was last year against Boston. And although Bosh is not as good as KG was in Minny, his record is at least comparable to that of pre-Boston KG, when he failed to get the Timberwolves to the playoffs his last three years with the team. And although you prop up each member of the Celtics' Big Three as killers in the clutch, you can't honestly believe that any one of them could carry a team to the title as the only star of his team, as LeBron and Bosh were the past seven years.

RB: You didn't really suggest LeBron has failed to show up only once, did you? He disappeared multiple times last season. And what about Game 6 in Orlando in '09? Or Games 1, 2 and 6 versus Boston in '08? Even the series he won in Cleveland, go back and look at the close-out games, and you'll see he was rarely the one shutting the door.

CB: KG and Pierce couldn't even make the playoffs as the lone star, let alone have the league's best record and go deep into the playoffs as LeBron did. And Allen had never been past the conference finals, even with two other stars in Milwaukee.

When put together in Boston, the pressure on each individual star eased a bit, and collectively, they got it done. That can happen in Miami as well. LeBron won't have the heat on him as much as he did in Cleveland, ditto with Bosh and D-Wade (who hasn't gone deep into the playoffs since Shaq left his side). With other weapons next to them, each of Miami's stars will be even better than before, just as it was in Boston in '08. And we all know how that ended -- with a ring.

RB: We're not debating whether Miami is capable of winning a ring; of course it is, in light of both the Celtics' and Lakers' age and injury history. But are the Heat certifiably the best team in the East aka the team to beat? No. You keep telling me they are because of what they could do. And I'm telling you the Celtics still wear that crown because of what they've done.

Chris Broussard and Ric Bucher are senior writers for ESPN The Magazine.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion%3a1a976899-cd91-4fe3-b2bd-c78e2502dd43&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion:1a976899-cd91-4fe3-b2bd-c78e2502dd43Post:a2fca143-0a17-4395-a94e-d6cab3301d47 " /> Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : Ok, I'll remember.  And if the Lakers do defend their title, I'll remember that they are tied with Boston at 17, Kobe is tied with MJ at 6, they have their 2nd three-peat, Phil has his 4th three-peat and Kobe has accepted yet another Finals MVP trophy from Bill Russell.     Posted by CK57 Exactly, Celtics get another woodshed whoppin again this year.  Celtics will be in mid-season form when half of team is on IR and their fans are in extreme pain. 
    Posted by kobedaman

At least you are consistent.  A 4 point come-from-behind win in Game 7 is a "woodshed whoopin".

What a clown!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : NICE!!  They are also about to learn another new thing.  Labron has no nuts in the clutch, irregardless of how excited they are about the classless narcissistic faker.
    Posted by aciemvp

really? so lebron has never hit jumpers at the buzzer?

and never found wide open teammates at the buzzer because the whole defense was concentrated on not letting lebron beat them?

i mean i know you are homer...but come on man...lebron is the best basketball player in the world and to deny that is being ignorant of the game itself

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : It's USAGE????? You USED it!  It is a word that is not to be used in normal oral or written conversation.  You USED it, then defended your using it. Both of those things are WRONG!!  My high school students know irregardless is not a word...........even if it is in the dictionary. NOW, it's the end of story, BUB!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

really? so you are telling there are words in the dictionary that arent words?

just when i thought i had seen everything

you pull that brilliant piece of grammar analysis from your hind quarters

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : For the last time - it IS a word, it is not a word that anyone with a semblance of intelligence uses at any time - kind of like "ain't". As my father, a former language teacher, always said, "When you use words like that, you show your ignorance." High school kids know not to use that word...........glad I could help you out, and please adhere to your promise of ignoring me - - - - your ignorance is showing!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

but you said it wasnt a word in the beginning...

and i said nothing of how or why or when its used...i know already and used it anyway

and its a forum...so pardon me while i dont care what your daddy said

i said nothing of ignoring you...what i said was...feel free to ignore me...because i aint leaving irregardless of what you say anyways

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : He died in 2008.  A bronze star winner in WWII - but thanks anyway, I'll listen to him over you any day!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

here is a shovel and a que to the ignore feature this forum uses

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Predictions vs the The Heat : What kind of a person makes fun of someone's dead parent?  You, sir, are no gentleman. And to call me a snotty individual is the pot calling the kettle black.  So here is MY deal - I will put you on ignore, since that what you want, if and only if you do not respond to me anymore-  this post included.  I have already reported you to the moderators.  You agreed when you signed up to not make personal attacks, and to make fun of someone's dead parent is not only a low blow, but classless as well....consider yourself ignored!  (provided of course you don't respond to me anymore)
    Posted by BirdandCowens

im an air force brat...i have all the respect in the world for our soldiers and for your father

and none for you

because as i already said...you are a snotty individual

im guessing the moderators agree with me being that my post is still up

good luck to you and your C's and thank you for finally taking my advice and ignoring me because im not going away

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Just read where Mike Miller has caught the injury bug down on South Beach.  Hand injury.  Hope he's ready for opening night, as we want no ready-made excuses when the Celtics win

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/news/story?id=5710344

Guess no Mike Miller on opening night. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

I think the Heat will beat the Celtics if ALL the Heat's points are from dunks. I mean ALL, if the Heat score a 100 then that's 50 dunks. That would be right, the Heat need 50 dunks in one game to beat the Celtics. 

HAHAHA!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

oh well...more james jones...

im not really all down and out because the back up small forward will be out for a while

Sections
Shortcuts