Preseason becoming concerning

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SavCeltic. Show SavCeltic's posts

Preseason becoming concerning

I'm watching the Philly-Boston game.....I am now concerned with what I see on the floor.  Doc says he's not concerned with the score in the preseason...but seeing this tonight, I am concerned with the product.  I think it is time to stop "messing" with lineups and "young guys" and start putting the product on the floor.  The defense so far has been a poor shadow of "Celtic" Defense in the past few years.  Doc is "babying" KG as if he was a fragile 90-year-old woman with osteoporosis.  It's time to put CELTIC-D on the floor....tighten the rotation...get KG and PP in game-shape and game-rotation.  Get Terry involved in the offense and have some regular flow.  What I see now might not make the playoffs in April...it's a pretty poor showing.  These guys, need to be winning preseason games if they think they are contenders for the title in June.  So far, they have lost to a Euro team, lost to NYC, and are getting killed by Philadelphia.

I preferred it several years ago when the preseason offense was terrible, but at least the Defense was solid.  that isn't the case now.  This was a great team on paper....but I'm not impressed with the product I see on the floor...and am concerned that Doc might be "overprotecting" his older guys!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Preseason becoming concerning

Savceltic you're kidding right? 

You realize the whole point of the pre-season is to experiment and get guys playing time right? 

Wearing out your starting lineup in games that don't count is ridiculously DUMB idea. 

Pre-season dude. Pre-season. You've lost your grip.

As for Tommyfraud, your Lakers have lost some silly games too. Just doesn't matter right now. 

Fab Melo isn't an NBA player this year, but he may be eventually. You realize drafting seven footers who are projects is a good NBA discipline right? Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. You seriously need a clue.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SavCeltic. Show SavCeltic's posts

BostonTrollSpanker,

There is a fine line between "experimenting" with rookies and young players and getting your squad ready for prime time action.  I just think we have too much of the former and not enough of the latter.  Not to say that KG shoudl be playing 35 minutes a night.... but we need start looking at a regular rotation where guys like Terry, Lee, Sullinger, Bass, and Milcic know when at what there expected roles/playing times will be and to gain some sense of chemistry with the group of players whom they will be playing with.  Also, Rondo, Pierce, and KG need to get used to playing with a new group of players at the end of the game...We no longer have Ray-Ray ready to bomb a 3-pointer and bail us out of a potential hole. We now have Terry...but he needs to be acclimated into the fold.  Also, the defense is still really terrible and not up to standard.  In the past during the preseason, the defense has been ahead of the offense!  I'm not ready to write off the season, but I maintain that the team is behind the mark of where they should be!

So, I've not lost my grip!  But you are kidding yourself if you see more positives than negatives in the first 4 games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to SavCeltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BostonTrollSpanker,

There is a fine line between "experimenting" with rookies and young players and getting your squad ready for prime time action.  I just think we have too much of the former and not enough of the latter.  Not to say that KG shoudl be playing 35 minutes a night.... but we need start looking at a regular rotation where guys like Terry, Lee, Sullinger, Bass, and Milcic know when at what there expected roles/playing times will be and to gain some sense of chemistry with the group of players whom they will be playing with.  Also, Rondo, Pierce, and KG need to get used to playing with a new group of players at the end of the game...We no longer have Ray-Ray ready to bomb a 3-pointer and bail us out of a potential hole. We now have Terry...but he needs to be acclimated into the fold.  Also, the defense is still really terrible and not up to standard.  In the past during the preseason, the defense has been ahead of the offense!  I'm not ready to write off the season, but I maintain that the team is behind the mark of where they should be!

So, I've not lost my grip!  But you are kidding yourself if you see more positives than negatives in the first 4 games.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you SavCeltic. Just like Tommy {the real one} said tonight after the game. Forget about the other guys who will not even make this team. I am no NBA Guru but I do think it is time the Celts start working on getting some kind of continuity with the group of guys that will be playing in the Regular season. There are only 4 games left and not a bunch of Practice time left so time to get it together. The road to the Title would be MUCH easier with Home Court and I do not think this Team will be ready to go early on. Games.Wins mean as much now to start the season as they will in March and April and the quest for Home Court advantage.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

tommyrules TROLL,

so fab is your target today..but ebanks is as good as kome bryant..according to you right..

TROLL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am concerned with Jeff Green's defense.

Does he have ADD?

He just kind of wanders around on defense and does not react.

He did the same thing last year.

[/QUOTE]
    It isn't really fair for me to comment since I haven't watched much of the pre-season games.  Last night I watched the MLB playoffs and Monday night football.  I do realize that these games are meaningless, but you still have to be a little concerned if the lose by 20 or more points.  They also haven't won many of these games, which isn't very good.  Considering that the season starts soon, they have to start turning things around and develop team chemistry so that they can be ready for the start of the season. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesandersonwho. Show jamesandersonwho's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am concerned with Jeff Green's defense.

Does he have ADD?

He just kind of wanders around on defense and does not react.

He did the same thing last year.

[/QUOTE]

Jeff Green didn't play last year,so wtf are you talking about!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from larrykevinchief. Show larrykevinchief's posts

Means nothing.......KG didn't play, and other than Rondo, no one played more than 22 mins.  Doc is getting a look at the kids, plain and simple.  Who will be the 13 - 15 players, who gets cut, and who goes to D-League.  I'm not the least bit concerned.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I don't buy Doc's comment about not being concerned about the score in preseason.  I totally buy it as it relates to losing 98-95 to the Knicks in OT.  But to lose by 32 in a preseason game at Philly, the score does matter.

The score was indicative of our listless, passive play.  Philly did not win by 32 by scoring 45 points in the 4th quarter against players who won't be on the Celtics roster this season.  Nobody but Pierce and Bass appeared to play with any aggression.  The preseason is about getting looks at players but its also about integrating new players and gaining that chemistry among the rotation players to ensure they're ready for the season. I don't care who you're playing or if its preseason or regular season, losing by 32 should be a cause for concern.

This team displays no chemistry on the offensive or defensive end YET.  You'd think that, by now, you'd see flashes of that defensive presence (with KG or without) but it's just not there.

Hopefully, we mailed this one in knowing we had a back-to-back today at home vs the Nets.  Maybe we'll see a more inspired, more aggressive team tonight.  I'll bet the farm on that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbostonceltics. Show bigbostonceltics's posts

i know its preseason and should not put much into the losses,however if things continue as they are changes will have to be made.my suggestion (just a suggestion doesnt mean i am right)we should use the following starting line up-at the 1-rondo,2-peirce,3-sully,4-garnett,5-melo.reasons-overnight we become one of the biggest teams in the nba,melo may be a project but has more offensive potential than other centers on the team,as great as garnett is he is playing out of position.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to bigbostonceltics' comment:
    [QUOTE]

i know its preseason and should not put much into the losses,however if things continue as they are changes will have to be made.my suggestion (just a suggestion doesnt mean i am right)we should use the following starting line up-at the 1-rondo,2-peirce,3-sully,4-garnett,5-melo.reasons-overnight we become one of the biggest teams in the nba,melo may be a project but has more offensive potential than other centers on the team,as great as garnett is he is playing out of position.

[/QUOTE]

That is one starting lineup I hope I never see....

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't buy Doc's comment about not being concerned about the score in preseason.  I totally buy it as it relates to losing 98-95 to the Knicks in OT.  But to lose by 32 in a preseason game at Philly, the score does matter.

The score was indicative of our listless, passive play.  Philly did not win by 32 by scoring 45 points in the 4th quarter against players who won't be on the Celtics roster this season.  Nobody but Pierce and Bass appeared to play with any aggression.  The preseason is about getting looks at players but its also about integrating new players and gaining that chemistry among the rotation players to ensure they're ready for the season. I don't care who you're playing or if its preseason or regular season, losing by 32 should be a cause for concern.

This team displays no chemistry on the offensive or defensive end YET.  You'd think that, by now, you'd see flashes of that defensive presence (with KG or without) but it's just not there.

Hopefully, we mailed this one in knowing we had a back-to-back today at home vs the Nets.  Maybe we'll see a more inspired, more aggressive team tonight.  I'll bet the farm on that.

[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the several Laker blow outs last year....BUTH THEY WERE LATE IN THE SEASON..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to TommyRules' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bigbostonceltics's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pierce and Sullinger guarding the other teams wing players?

That would never work.

Melo is not an NBA player right now.

[/QUOTE]

At least this was a playoff tested team..unlike .GS blew out La...and several blow outs late in the season..last year...sound familiar??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to BloggetyBloop's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is just a good thing that Bynum did not play, or that would have been a 50 point beatdown.

Hope all is well!

[/QUOTE]

That's right, he did'nt play again for knee reasons...sound familiar??

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Petey, I don't understand why people put ANY focus on the score in pre-season.  The Atlanta Falcons are one of if not the best teams in the NFL.  They lost 3 of 4 pre-season games.    The Heat got killed this preseason by the Hawks (not as bad as our loss but it was bad).   It means NOTHING.

One key purpose of pre-season is to see those players at the end of the roster and see if they canmake the team, to see how they'll play in critical situations.  Doc has done that.   Another criticism of many on this Board is that we'll run KG into the ground.  Then when he's rested, we complain about the score (and he is our intensity leader no matter WHAT anyone says - forget Rondo who doesn't even play defense!).   

I agree with Doc - figure out what works and doesn't.  Experiment.  Try things.   I have seen the record of the Celtics be a good one since the Big 3 arrived.  The only issue has been depth since the championship year has been our depth.  I believe its smart to play the guys who might be part of the depth and see how they'll play.   We know what we have in KG - rest him.  We didn't know about Christmas and others.....so I agree with the strategy of evaluating players, not trying to worry about score.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts