Put the 5 Greatest Lakers Against the 5 Greatest Celtics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from laker4eva. Show laker4eva's posts

Re: Put the 5 Greatest Lakers Against the 5 Greatest Celtics

Shaq-center
    Kareem-pf
    Baylor-sf
    Kobe-sg
    Magic-pg (capt)

This team beats any team of any era by double digits.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thrombosis. Show thrombosis's posts

I loved Rasal's post saying that the Lakers "trades" are legitimate because Divac was a quality center traded for Kobe and that the C's got McHale and Parishi n a trade.  I could not have provided a better example of Laker entitlement.

!. I live in North Carolina, and no we were not impressed by the trading of the high-flying, best high school palyer of the year for the tail end of Divax's "productive" career.  We were pissed.  We get a guy that jumps 2 inches off the floor and is best known for Brent Musberger saying, "Did you see that behind the back bounce pass in the paint to the cutter!  He is the best passing big man since Sabonis!"  Getting Divac when we could hanehad Bryant for years (and this after Jordan had shown the value of the high flyer scorer) made us want to hurl! The only thing that made it worse was that the trade happened only because this spoiled euro-punk 18 year old gave us the one finger salute when we drafted him. Do you Laker fans really believe this stuff-- that NC fans wee happy to get your has-been "quality center" for Bryant?

2.  The C's gave the top pick in the whole draft to get Parrish (who had disappointed GState), and McHale- who was rated highly, but not as an All-Star.  Can you imagine the Lakers ever giving up this much value for Kareem, WIlt, Kobe, Gasol?  No- the Lakers have not payed what Gm's  consider "fair value" for their stars at the time of the trade.   And if you don't pay for something, you don't own it.  You can pretend it is not a fake possesion of yours.  But if you suit these fake players up often enough you become the Fakers.  And your championships are regarded accordingly. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Just what is a fake championship? 

Russell is the x-factor in this discussion. He's just an out and out winner, combine him with Bird and you'd have two guys who could beat any team. 

But. My Lakers 5 may give them a run for their money.

Kareem at Center. Russell never guarded Kareem and I'd like to see how the Sky Hook would go against Russ's blocking ability. Would be something to see. Kareem is the best Lakers center, just ahead of Mikan and Shaq. 
    Worthy at Forward. Big game James. He's here to finish the break and score. Also comes up big in the clutch. But I'll have 'Mr Clutch' in this team as well. And he's my favorite Laker, so he's here because I want him here.
    Cooper at Forward. Emphasis on this is a TEAM. He's here for his defense and to shut down Bird, or at least limit his effectiveness. How can one not have an all time Lakers side and not have this guy as a starter? 
    West at Guard. Mr clutch, will take the big shots along with Worthy, who gets to take the shot? well it depends on who's left unguarded, may very well be Coop! I'd take West over Kobe any day.
    Ervin Johnson at Guard. The man was a basketball genius, he turned all his teams into winners and is arguably the greatest Laker ever. He would make this team hum and it'd be such a great side to watch. He's unselfish and has a team first attitude. Something that's lacking in most NBA players today.

Celtics side?

Russell - Greatest player ever
    Bird - Second greatest Celtic ever. Not bad when you have Russell in front of you.
    McHale - Would give whoever he's matching up against heart palpitations. Always loved his play and actually enjoyed his play more than Larry's at times. 
    Sam Jones - Silky smooth jumper and a clutch player. 
    Dennis Johnson - Smart operator and a team guy (when with the Celtics) 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good post as always........when you look at all of the great players that have come through these two great franchises it's incredible....look at some of the names being left off of some of the posters' rosters.....Kobe, Cousy, Baylor, Heinson.....even lesser names but key pieces for each side...Bob McAdoo and Mychael Thompson for the Lakers...Paul Silas and JoJo White for the Celtics...and it goes on and on....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

RUWorthy, yours is the best post by a Lakers fan on this board that I can remember.  Thank you for joining in on this discussion.  Your points are all well taken.  (Well, maybe not Worthy over Elgin Baylor, but you redeem yourself by being honest about what motivated your choice!)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Agree....worthy and jofc are the best posters among the Laker fans who visit this site....they are insightfull and respectfull and always have something to say worth reading....there are a few others whose opinions I respect....just curious....I have never been to the Laker board....do we have a bunch of Celtic trolls over there....?  ....just wondering..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from thrombosis. Show thrombosis's posts

Great post Worthy.  If only the C's could get a guy to run with Rondo like Worthy.  West's and Earvin's excellence always spoke for itself.  The only problem I have with your lst is that Kareem, as much as I like him, really was a Buck who the Lakers never paid for ( should have bee 5 1st round picks).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

In a perfect world Kareem may have stayed a Buck and you'd have guys playing their careers in one team, which is so rare in most sports. I can understand why Kareem left the Bucks, but he certainly delivered for them, helping them to their sole championship. Would have loved to have seen Walton play out a full and healthy career for the Blazers. Life can be cruel though, and Walton still had a good although injury hampered career. I'm sure any of us would gladly have Bill Waltons basketball career if we were given that chance.

Kareem just beat Mikan for my team. Mikan although he played in a completely different era of basketball was so dominant. Could argue that the Lakers side could be stacked with players from the Minneapolis era. They were in their day what the Celtics were in the Russell era.

Duke, good thing you mentioned Mychal Thompson. IMO he helped put the Lakers over the top for the back to back wins in 1987 and 1988. Under rated player and I'd have him in my all time Lakers side. Certainly helped spell Kareem and may have prolonged his career. 

On Rondo. That man has so much potential and he's already such a gifted player. Hopefully he'll take time to work on his jump shot, so it becomes a consistent weapon for him. He is certainly a guy to build a team around. He ranks right up there with the Celtics greatest steals of all time, kudos for Ainge for getting him to the Celtics. And then for the Celtics for having faith in the guy. 

Celtics trolls? Not as such, you get guys from most other teams who just come in to annoy people. Particually the fly by night types who'll make one post along the lines of 'CAVS WILL DESTROY YOU CHUMPS' etc. Which is very tiresome. Chatting with fans from other teams can be fun. They should just be respectful of where they are posting. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

That's my feeling too......I would not go over to another team's board and start flaming....I may get into it over here when I feel the need to defend my team....that's why I appreciate your visits....you and jofc never get me going...I truely enjoy the discussions....keep 'em coming brother!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticsUbunto. Show CelticsUbunto's posts

In Response to Re: Put the 5 Greatest Lakers Against the 5 Greatest Celtics:
    [QUOTE]I am not opposed to the post as being ridiculous, pointless etc. We all like to dream & fantasize. What I'm in disagreement with is the sophomoric comment "that it would be a thrashing with a 4 game sweep". Yup, we'll never know but we never would have known if Rocky Marciano who was 49-0 would have beaten Joe Louis in his prime(he did but Joe was old & it was sad to watch & I think it was his last bout). Then they did a computer match because Rocky retired & then, of course, died in a plane crash between him and Cassius Clay & Rocky won, I believe. Many felt he wouldn't have won as Muhammed Ali was too fast but Rocky, amazing at about 190 lbs, took tremendous hits-I don't know if he was ever knocked down-but kept body punching and opponents finally couldn't keep their arms up. I think that's how he won in 13 rounds. Sorry for the escape to boxing but my point is that, although computer generated, it would be interesting to do the same but as we need a bench, list the 10 best Lakers & Celtics. Problem would be as for boxers they needed only add the skills of 2 people & who would take the time, patience, cost etc. to do 20 players. I think, personally, and I am a long time Celtic fan going back to Cousy days that it would be very close to a 50%-50%. Other than Russell & Parish, the Lakers had the better big men but I would say we were even in ability on all the other positions. Anyway, my $ .02 cents opinion !!! 
    Posted by mandobello[/QUOTE]
    Rocky Marciano=Overrated

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SuperNtrain. Show SuperNtrain's posts

In Response to Put the 5 Greatest Lakers Against the 5 Greatest Celtics:
    [QUOTE]The 5 greatest Lakers would be: Center: Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Power Forward: Pau Gasol, Small Forward: James Worthy, Point Guard: Magic Johnson and shooting guard: Kobe Bryant. Put these 5 Laker greats against the 5 Celtic greats and it would be a thrashing with the Lakers sweeping 4 in a 7-game series.
    Posted by rsalas67m[/QUOTE]Wow, your a real idiot and don't know much about the Lakers if your putting Pau Gasol and James Worthy in that list................

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Best players

Russell
    Bird 
    KG
    Sam Jones
    DJ  

Favorite players

Bird
    KG
    McHale  
    Ray Allen       
    Russell             

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

all I can think of is the last Rocky movie with putting Old Stars up against Modern Stars in a computer simulation to see who would be better competing in their prime.  none of it takes heart into account, or the ability to rise to a challenge.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]Kareem, Gasol, Kobe, and Chamberlain cannot really be considered to be lakers.  All but Kobe were sent from their team as established stars with laughably unfair compensation.  And Kobe was sent against the will of the Charlatte Hornets' community only because he is a spoiled euro-snob prima donna who thought he was above fair play even at age 18. Free agency had nothing to do with any of these farces. That's why they are known as the  Fakers. Parish, McHale & Dennis Johnson are the result of a trade. It's where you win that counts. Vlade Divac was considered a quality center when traded for a high schooler named Kobe and proved it in Sacramento. What did Gasol win with the Grizzlies? Nothing. And without Garnett and Ray Allen, the Celtics 1 title in 20 years would never have happened without a trade. Kareem considers himself to be a Laker before a Buc. He won 5 titles in L.A. You want to call the Lakers, "Fakers," be my guest but their history, including winning back-to-back with 5 titles in the 2000s proves otherwise.
    Posted by rsalas67m[/QUOTE]

Divac was not a good player until he went to the Kings.  koME is a spoiled brat.  Kevin McHale was drafted by the Celtics with the #3 overall pick, genius.  He did NOT come by way of a trade. 
    You contradict yourself twice in your thread.  So, it's okay for Gasol to consider himself a laker because he won nothing in Memphis, but NOT okay for KG and RA to consider themselves Celtics because they came over in a trade?  DUH!
    Kareem can consider himself whatever he wants, but he was TRADED from MIL to LAL after winning a title in MIL.  He has 6 rings total, another spoiled brat!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

I guess you want to impose an NBA player on a team where he never won anything and say that any rings/titles after-the-fact don't count. That really makes no sense. Kareem won 5 titles in L.A. & 1 in Milwaukee. You ask Jabbar is he a Laker or a Buck & he'll say a Laker.

You think Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen want to be identified with their former teams where they won NOTHING?

The Lakers are not Fakers. They are as much a storied franchise as Boston as their legacy and players have proven. And even your Boston reporters have said that the Laker Franchise has been the best ever. here were words, not mine. 

As for Kobe Bryant, he's proven his worth. Yet when he first arrived in L.A., he sat on the bench most of the time while Divac contributed in Charlotte and Sacramento. The guy you call "Kome" and "spoiled brat" is considered to be one of the best player in the league today and the history of the game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]I guess you want to impose an NBA player on a team where he never won anything and say that any rings/titles after-the-fact don't count. That really makes no sense. Kareem won 5 titles in L.A. & 1 in Milwaukee. You ask Jabbar is he a Laker or a Buck & he'll say a Laker. You think Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen want to be identified with their former teams where they won NOTHING? The Lakers are not Fakers. They are as much a storied franchise as Boston as their legacy and players have proven. And even your Boston reporters have said that the Laker Franchise has been the best ever. here were words, not mine.  As for Kobe Bryant, he's proven his worth. Yet when he first arrived in L.A., he sat on the bench most of the time while Divac contributed in Charlotte and Sacramento. The guy you call "Kome" and "spoiled brat" is considered to be one of the best player in the league today and the history of the game.
    Posted by rsalas67m[/QUOTE]

Your post makes absolutely no sense.  I'll call him koME if I choose to.  He is a great player.  Not a team player, and not the best ever, not even close, but he would make the top 10! And a despicable human being!

Where did I say Fakers?  They won last year, they have not been the Fakers since 1986.  Everyone knows that.

koME  sat on the bench most of the time?  His FIRST year, he averaged 15.5 mins/game.  His second was 26.0 Since then, his LOWEST total has been 37.8 and he has started EVERY game since his third year in the league.  Sure you're a lakers fan?

Lastly, I was responding to your trade analogies, nothing more.  Will KG have his number retired in MN, Bos or both?  I don't know, do you?  Did Bill Walton consider himself a Celtic, after all those years in Portland?  Kareem can call himself whatever he wants, but that is a poor analogy, since he won in MIL.  Gasol?  Ok, he can be a laker. 

Sections
Shortcuts