Put the young guys on the fast track Doc! Win, Lose or Draw!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Put the young guys on the fast track Doc! Win, Lose or Draw!

Should have given up on the HEAT last night in the 3rd quarter.

You would have lit a fire under your vets that way from the embarrassment.

Sasha needs to play more to get his confidence back.

Johnson needs to get on the job training to get a feel for what he can and can't do, as well as what he needs to do to get better.

I have the feeling Moore will look like Norris Cole out there if you play him.

Norris is NOT a flash in the pan! Second coming of Sam Cassell! (Only a lot faster with better defense!)

We need to learn more about Stiemsma.

He could'nt be worse than J.O.!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

Re: Put the young guys on the fast track Doc! Win, Lose or Draw!

Agree with everything except about playing Sasha more. Pietrus will more than capably fill his shoes when he's up and ready in a few weeks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from j73401. Show j73401's posts

a rookie beat u last night,whos to say if u played ur rookies,they wouldnt do the same!GIVE THEM A CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 or cut them and get some vets,(

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Game was effectively over in the 3rd quarter.

Swallow your silly pride. Pull the plug, throw in the towel and play the bench.

Let the young guys develop.... win...lose... or draw. 

Look at the big picture.

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

In Response to Re: Put the young guys on the fast track Doc! Win, Lose or Draw!:
    Game was effectively over in the 3rd quarter. Swallow your silly pride. Pull the plug, throw in the towel and play the bench. Let the young guys develop.... win...lose... or draw.  Look at the big picture. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Yes, yes, and did I say, YES!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Garnett 32 mins last night... 2 game avg 35 mins

Ray 40 mins last night... 2 game avg 39 mins

So much for Doc and his annual bs about limiting the oldies mins

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Put the young guys on the fast track Doc! Win, Lose or Draw!:
    Garnett 32 mins last night... 2 game avg 35 mins Ray 40 mins last night... 2 game avg 39 mins So much for Doc and his annual bs about limiting the oldies mins
    Posted by Karllost

Once they shake off the rust... then he's going to limit their minutes.

This season for sure.

Pud

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

I think Doc should give his rookies a chance to prove themselves early in the tournament. E'twaun Moore, in particular, has shown a lot of upside in practices and pre-season games. Stiemsma, though a bit raw, has shown that he can be the shot blocking presence the team needs inside. I think it's better to develop him now rather than stick with JON's frustrating inconsistent play. Both Moore and Johnson are NBA ready, having completed four years of college ball. Developing the rookies this season is key to keeping the Celtics relevant in the post-Big 3 era.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good stuff Pud.....I concur

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

If Moore and Johnson DON'T make their NBA debuts tonight (save Moore's 4 seconds vs Knicks), then something is majorly wrong and I fault Doc.  When you look at Cole's performance last night, there is no way Moore and/or Johnson cannot provide some kind of lift to the team.

And Cole DID make some bone-headed plays (foul on Bass dunk giving him an "and 1", what should have been a block call against Bass that should have kept our momentum going and a push off on a layup that should have been an offensive call).  But you have to like the kid's confidence and swagger.  I just cannot believe Moore and/or Johnson can't do the same.

The only way we'll find out is if Doc puts them in.  That is the one problem I have with Doc as the Celtics coach.  He has no patience for rookies and doesn't work to develop and play them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

If Moore and Johnson DON'T make their NBA debuts tonight (save Moore's 4 seconds vs Knicks), then something is majorly wrong and I fault Doc.  When you look at Cole's performance last night, there is no way Moore and/or Johnson cannot provide some kind of lift to the team. And Cole DID make some bone-headed plays (foul on Bass dunk giving him an "and 1", what should have been a block call against Bass that should have kept our momentum going and a push off on a layup that should have been an offensive call).  But you have to like the kid's confidence and swagger.  I just cannot believe Moore and/or Johnson can't do the same. The only way we'll find out is if Doc puts them in.  That is the one problem I have with Doc as the Celtics coach.  He has no patience for rookies and doesn't work to develop and play them.
    Posted by Petey62

Petey- nice post. I believe you are exactly correct. Maybe throw a zone in there is they don't understand the defensive concept. Not so sure we shouldn't run a lot more zone anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

We all know Avery Bradley Sasha and JO have threatened to show Doc's wife pictures of him cheating. What else can explain their playing time...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clappy. Show clappy's posts

This could  be a short, pain-less season if we decided to play the younger guys and get a high draft pick. It's too painful to watch the Big 3 break down along the road trying to compete with players ten years younger. They've done their bit, given us 4 interesting years. Let 'em rest a little...Doc didn't sign on for 5 more thinking he was gonna play Ray and KG the whole time, did he?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

In Response to Re: Put the young guys on the fast track Doc! Win, Lose or Draw! : Bradley is playing because Doc and Ainge are trying to save face. They totally screwed up when they picked Bradley with the 19th pick, that's why they're hoping a miracle would happen by giving him playing time. Sasha on the other hand won the starting spot by default. No Pierce and Doc wants Daniels coming off the bench. JO on the other hand had a great training camp. Guess it didn't carry over in the regular season.
    Posted by Fiercest34

Save face? Poor excuse. No way Moore isn't better than him based on experience alone. Historically non lottery picks are hot garbage and Ainge knows it. The percentage are miniscule to get a good player. I'm not overly concerned if Pierce isn't a lingering thing and Pietrus can actually play. That's less Sasha and Avery. The no bigs / lack of rebounding is a constant problem that will not go away though.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

If Moore and Johnson DON'T make their NBA debuts tonight (save Moore's 4 seconds vs Knicks), then something is majorly wrong and I fault Doc.  When you look at Cole's performance last night, there is no way Moore and/or Johnson cannot provide some kind of lift to the team. And Cole DID make some bone-headed plays (foul on Bass dunk giving him an "and 1", what should have been a block call against Bass that should have kept our momentum going and a push off on a layup that should have been an offensive call).  But you have to like the kid's confidence and swagger.  I just cannot believe Moore and/or Johnson can't do the same. The only way we'll find out is if Doc puts them in.  That is the one problem I have with Doc as the Celtics coach.  He has no patience for rookies and doesn't work to develop and play them.
    Posted by Petey62

Wait a minute Petey.. didnt you get the news bulletin about who knows more, Doc an NBA head coach or you, just a poster..

Seriously, Doc really struggles with rotations imo.. not just the rooks.  There are guys that know basketball tech & strategies much better than Doc (Tibs for ex), then there are guys like DOc who can manage certain players like no other and have other intangibles, bigger picture stuff... As a staff you hope they all combine their specialties.  Doc might be more effective if someone else micromanaged the game instead of him imo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Never have so many, who knew so little, said so much!  Ouch!

Next we will hear how great Walker was, and that Jim O'Brien was a Genius.  Might as well go all the way.

All our kids belong in the Hall of Fame.  They haven't played yet, but why not vote them in anyway.

Doc is the Coach for the next 5 years.  Think he should make the calls?  2 games into the season, and you guys want the "D" League Special.  Huh?

Play the kids against the poor teams.  Tonight  --  and any time you have back to backs against poor teams.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Never have so many, who knew so little, said so much!  Ouch! Next we will hear how great Walker was, and that Jim O'Brien was a Genius.  Might as well go all the way. All our kids belong in the Hall of Fame.  They haven't played yet, but why not vote them in anyway. Doc is the Coach for the next 5 years.  Think he should make the calls?  2 games into the season, and you guys want the "D" League Special.  Huh? Play the kids against the poor teams.  Tonight  --  and any time you have back to backs against poor teams.
    Posted by CaptChris

Last I checked, our opponent tonight is undefeated.

We, if memory doesn't fail me, are still searching for our 1st victory.

So who is poor?

Pud 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Put the young guys on the fast track Doc! Win, Lose or Draw! : Once they shake off the rust... then he's going to limit their minutes. This season for sure. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Perhaps but history suggests differently.. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Put the young guys on the fast track Doc! Win, Lose or Draw! : Perhaps but history suggests differently..   
    Posted by Karllost

And like the road to hell, history is filled with the very best of intentions.

Pud

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Put the young guys on the fast track Doc! Win, Lose or Draw! : Wait a minute Petey.. didnt you get the news bulletin about who knows more, Doc an NBA head coach or you, just a poster.. Seriously, Doc really struggles with rotations imo.. not just the rooks.  There are guys that know basketball tech & strategies much better than Doc (Tibs for ex), then there are guys like DOc who can manage certain players like no other and have other intangibles, bigger picture stuff... As a staff you hope they all combine their specialties.  Doc might be more effective if someone else micromanaged the game instead of him imo
    Posted by Karllost

EXACTLY!!  When they are ready, he will play them.  Last night was not an opportunity to show them off.  We were never out of the game.  Even down 17,  I just felt we had a run, if we shot better.  Enter Ray Allen.  No way Moore can do that at this stage.  And while he may end up as good as Cole, with only a couple of weeks of practice, yes.....Doc knows more about his players than we do.  It's been only two games.  If you saw Utah last night, all the hype was about Favors and Kanter, and Millsap and Jefferson were trade bait.  Who started the game?  Millsap and Jefferson......seems Ty Corbin didn't get the memo, either.
    Nice try at a cheap shot, Karl, but Doc knows more than you do about his players!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In Response to Re: Put the young guys on the fast track Doc! Win, Lose or Draw! : EXACTLY!!  When they are ready, he will play them.  Last night was not an opportunity to show them off.  We were never out of the game.  Even down 17,  I just felt we had a run, if we shot better.  Enter Ray Allen.  No way Moore can do that at this stage.  And while he may end up as good as Cole, with only a couple of weeks of practice, yes.....Doc knows more about his players than we do.  It's been only two games.  If you saw Utah last night, all the hype was about Favors and Kanter, and Millsap and Jefferson were trade bait.  Who started the game?  Millsap and Jefferson......seems Ty Corbin didn't get the memo, either. Nice try at a cheap shot, Karl, but Doc knows more than you do about his players!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11

Red, good point.  First off, Milsap did NOT start although he came off the bench to score 18.  Jefferson did start but shot 2-16 from the floor for only 4 points.

I think Corbin made the best coaching decision to PLAY Kanter (Favors is a starter) because the only way to get better in this compressed season is to play.  Again Corbin PLAYED Favors and Kanter.  Kanter even got 11 rebounds although he shot 1-7.  And although Favors was in foul trouble, he still got 8 points and 6 rebounds in 19 minutes.  The key here is that they PLAYED.

So, hype or no hype, the only thing that matters is getting guys minutes who can contribute in some way.  IMHO, I would bet that Doc doesn't know if these guys are ready yet.  Doc is going more with his "philosophy of not playing rookies" rather than having a true evalution that tells him these guys are not ready.  Doc doesn't know for sure until he puts them on the court.

If he had that true evaluation of all the players, Avery Bradley would never smell the court.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Put the young guys on the fast track Doc! Win, Lose or Draw! : Red, good point.  First off, Milsap did NOT start although he came off the bench to score 18.  Jefferson did start but shot 2-16 from the floor for only 4 points. I think Corbin made the best coaching decision to PLAY Kanter (Favors is a starter) because the only way to get better in this compressed season is to play.  Again Corbin PLAYED Favors and Kanter.  Kanter even got 11 rebounds although he shot 1-7.  And although Favors was in foul trouble, he still got 8 points and 6 rebounds in 19 minutes.  The key here is that they PLAYED. So, hype or no hype, the only thing that matters is getting guys minutes who can contribute in some way.  IMHO, I would bet that Doc doesn't know if these guys are ready yet.  Doc is going more with his "philosophy of not playing rookies" rather than having a true evalution that tells him these guys are not ready.  Doc doesn't know for sure until he puts them on the court. If he had that true evaluation of all the players, Avery Bradley would never smell the court.
    Posted by Petey62

I'm sure you are correct.  I turned it on when it was about 6 mins old and Millsap and Jefferson were in the game, so I just assumed they started.  As a coach, though, I can tell you - if Rondo and KG and Ray are getting the ball stripped and MIA is running all over you up and down the court, that is NOT the time to put in rookies and blow their confidence.  Now, I don't know, but maybe if the game continued down 17-20, he would put them in.  We'll never know, because, darn it, we made a great comeback and exposed the Heat for the frauds they are.  No comeback, and I bet Moore and JJJ got in.  AB should not be playing, but they need to see what he can do, I guess!!  Tonight, I think, at least one of them will play.  If RA continues to play 40 mins, we are toast.  As I said, I like Dooling a little as a combo with Rondo, but I agree with you that we need to see what these kids can do sooner rather than later.

Sections
Shortcuts