Question about CAP SPACE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from uNpReTtiEr. Show uNpReTtiEr's posts

Question about CAP SPACE

if teams re-sign their own free agents, does that affect cap space? Since they have bird rights? example: re-signing KG or Ray, does that affect the possible 20million+ of cap space? 
    Thanks! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Re: Question about CAP SPACE

I think teams that are willing to go over the cap do the re-signing last because they can't go over the cap with new players, but can with their own free agents.

Or at least that's how it used to go. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yes, we have the space b/c Ray/KG are not under contract next season, if they are signed for next season then the cap space shrinks by however much they sign for.

This is why most of us here hope G signs for 6-7 million a year instead of the 11-13 he is probably worth, b/c having that extra 5 million in space would make a huge differnce in the type of talent we sign in free agency.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: Question about CAP SPACE:
    [QUOTE]I think teams that are willing to go over the cap do the re-signing last because they can't go over the cap with new players, but can with their own free agents. Or at least that's how it used to go. 
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]

That is right.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from uNpReTtiEr. Show uNpReTtiEr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about CAP SPACE : That is right.
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

so that means we can re-sign KG or Ray without taking a hit on the salary cap (used for signing new players) instead we'll go over the cap(when re-signing them) paying million dollars of tax. is that right? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about CAP SPACE : That is right.
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

not really

The Celtics can either give their own players contracts right away THEN go after free agents or renounce any claims they have to their own players (involving bird rights, the ablity to give raises on '12 salary, etc.) to go after the other free agents THEN come back and sign their own players for ONLY the amount left under the cap or the MLE.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about CAP SPACE : so that means we can re-sign KG or Ray without taking a hit on the salary cap (used for signing new players) instead we'll go over the cap(when re-signing them) paying million dollars of tax. is that right? 
    Posted by uNpReTtiEr[/QUOTE]

We will have 22-27 million in cap space depending on if Bas picks up his 4 million option and if Steimsma is given a qualifying offer of 1 million.

If we give KG a 1 year 12 million deal and Ray a 1 year 6 million, then we have 4-9 million in space left to sign another teams free agent... basicaly enough to get a 6th-7th man (if it is 4m) or 3rd-4th best player (9m)

If we cut ties with Ray as expected and give KG 9 million, a conservative 'middle ground' type number, then we can think about signing a really good free agent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from uNpReTtiEr. Show uNpReTtiEr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about CAP SPACE : We will have 22-27 million in cap space depending on if Bas picks up his 4 million option and if Steimsma is given a qualifying offer of 1 million. If we give KG a 1 year 12 million deal and Ray a 1 year 6 million, then we have 4-9 million in space left to sign another teams free agent... basicaly enough to get a 6th-7th man (if it is 4m) or 3rd-4th best player (9m) If we cut ties with Ray as expected and give KG 9 million, a conservative 'middle ground' type number, then we can think about signing a really good free agent.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

here are some quotes:  

"I’m always sentimental with them," Rivers said. "I won a title with them and lost another one in a Game. 7. I think people assume they won’t be back next year. I don’t know why there is that assumption. [Garnett and Allen] are free agents, but you can sign your own free agents last time I checked.

"I don’t know if we will sign them both. We may sign one. But they’ve been great for us. Our [free agents] are probably the best ones and we will have the most money."

After the season, the Celtics will be faced with a decision: should they exercise their cap space to try to bring in new free agents, should they instead focus on signing their own free agents (potentially going over the cap to do so), or should they try to do a combination of the two?

what comes to my mind is, if we signed another FA's using our cap space we can still re-sign KG or Ray from a rang e of 8-10million since we have their bird rights. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from uNpReTtiEr. Show uNpReTtiEr's posts

[QUOTE]I think teams that are willing to go over the cap do the re-signing last because they can't go over the cap with new players, but can with their own free agents. Or at least that's how it used to go. 
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]

Yes, that comes to my mind. as long as they have the bird rights. I know they can go over the cap within the preferred price range of the players. but signing players would be first rather than re-signing. that's a rule that perpelexes me up to now. LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

There is a cap hold on players with Bird Exception until the player rights are renounced (loosing the Bird exception).  I think the cap hold is the maximum the team can pay the player under the CBA.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

what comes to my mind is, if we signed another FA's using our cap space we can still re-sign KG or Ray from a rang e of 8-10million since we have their bird rights.

No, you give up any rights to them when you exercise the rights to your 25 million in cap space created BECAUSE you let those contracts expire.

So whatever is left of space below the cap... or whatever MLE offer is available for us, is what we can use on KG/Ray if we sign others before them. Remember we want to bring Jeff Green back too if he is cleared and 100% healthy.

Rivers is likely hinting that KG is the 'one' they will bring back. He is clearly still a very important and impactful player while we have a 21 year old SG making 1.6m next year who outplayed Ray this season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]There is a cap hold on players with Bird Exception until the player rights are renounced (loosing the Bird exception).  I think the cap hold is the maximum the team can pay the player under the CBA.
    Posted by scubber[/QUOTE]

correct... which is a % INCREASE on the '12 contract, based on whatever raise the CBA would entitle them to.

So KG/Ray would have holds of like 35 million... 10 million MORE than our space created when we renounce their rights

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from uNpReTtiEr. Show uNpReTtiEr's posts

[QUOTE]what comes to my mind is, if we signed another FA's using our cap space we can still re-sign KG or Ray from a rang e of 8-10million since we have their bird rights. No, you give up any rights to them when you exercise the rights to your 25 million in cap space created BECAUSE you let those contracts expire. So whatever is left of space below the cap... or whatever MLE offer is available for us, is what we can use on KG/Ray if we sign others before them. Remember we want to bring Jeff Green back too if he is cleared and 100% healthy. Rivers is likely hinting that KG is the 'one' they will bring back. He is clearly still a very important and impactful player while we have a 21 year old SG making 1.6m next year who outplayed Ray this season.

so if KG is re-signed for at least $10m, $15m would still be remaining right? I get it now. Ray Allen is likely gone, if we renounce his rights. no way he'll sign for lower than MLE. where in we can use the MLE on another player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about CAP SPACE : so if KG is re-signed for at least $10m, $15m would still be remaining right? I get it now. Ray Allen is likely gone, if we renounce his rights. no way he'll sign for lower than MLE. where in we can use the MLE on another player.
    Posted by uNpReTtiEr[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you missed the point, but signing or not signing Ray has no effect on the MLE.  Signing Ray would effect the remaining cap number but not the MLE.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from uNpReTtiEr. Show uNpReTtiEr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about CAP SPACE : Not sure if you missed the point, but signing or not signing Ray has no effect on the MLE.  Signing Ray would effect the remaining cap number but not the MLE.

I was thiking if we renounced his rights? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about CAP SPACE : Not sure if you missed the point, but signing or not signing Ray has no effect on the MLE.  Signing Ray would effect the remaining cap number but not the MLE.

I think the point he made was that giving Ray 6-7 million is way too much of our cap space, so the only way he returns is AFTER we sign everyone else with our space and he takes the MLE.

I am pretty knowledgable about the cap... but one question I have is about the mLE. It is 5 million for team over the cap and under the lux tax threshold (then 3m if u pay tax) but apparently only a 2.5 million mini-MLE if your team is UNDER the cap.

Does that mean that if you start free agency under the cap 2.5m is all we have even if we go over the cap with signings? Leaving us just like a Pietrus type player amount.... or as soon as we go over the cap (like using all the space on FA's, then extending Steamer at a little more than his 1m QO) we get the normal 5m MLE, leaving us enough to use on Green or Ray so we don't hav to waste cap space on them?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about CAP SPACE : I think the point he made was that giving Ray 6-7 million is way too much of our cap space, so the only way he returns is AFTER we sign everyone else with our space and he takes the MLE. I am pretty knowledgable about the cap... but one question I have is about the mLE. It is 5 million for team over the cap and under the lux tax threshold (then 3m if u pay tax) but apparently only a 2.5 million mini-MLE if your team is UNDER the cap. Does that mean that if you start free agency under the cap 2.5m is all we have even if we go over the cap with signings? Leaving us just like a Pietrus type player amount.... or as soon as we go over the cap (like using all the space on FA's, then extending Steamer at a little more than his 1m QO) we get the normal 5m MLE, leaving us enough to use on Green or Ray so we don't hav to waste cap space on them?

Boston will be able to spend about $22.4m which is the amount they are under the cap and then they will have the Room exception which is for team that are under the Cap. Boston will have to sign all of their players under the $22.4m plus $2.5m for the Room Exception.

The salaries of the 1st round draft picks are factored into the $22.4m and also included is the roster holds for the remaining roster spots up to 12 players. 

Boston is projected to have 5 players under contract at $31,570,974
    (2) 1st round draft picks: $2,641,560
    (5) minimum salary roster holds for players 8-12: $2,368,020
    Total: $36,580,554

Anticipated Cap Amount: $59,000,000
    Salaries for 12 players: $36,580,554
    Remaining amount to spend on players: $22,419,446
    Room exception for teams under the Cap: $2,500,000
    Grand Total: $24,919,446
    Minimum salaries and veterans minimum are in addition to these amounts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

5 under contract - plus 2 first round picks (5.2 mill)  that's 7

Re.sign KG, Bass and Green - that's 10

Still have enough money to get 2 other players.

Suppose we sign Jason Thompson, Jordan Hill and Nick Young.  Draft Dion Waiters and Fab Melo.

Rondo/Bradley
    Mayo/Waiters/Moore
    PP/Green
    Bass/Hill/JJJ
    KG/Thompson/Melo

I think I can live with that team for 2 years!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]5 under contract - plus 2 first round picks (5.2 mill)  that's 7 Re.sign KG, Bass and Green - that's 10 Still have enough money to get 2 other players. Suppose we sign Jason Thompson, Jordan Hill and Nick Young.  Draft Dion Waiters and Fab Melo. Rondo/Bradley Mayo/Waiters/Moore PP/Green Bass/Hill/JJJ KG/Thompson/Melo I think I can live with that team for 2 years!!!
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

sure could

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

[QUOTE]5 under contract - plus 2 first round picks (5.2 mill)  that's 7 Re.sign KG, Bass and Green - that's 10 Still have enough money to get 2 other players. Suppose we sign Jason Thompson, Jordan Hill and Nick Young.  Draft Dion Waiters and Fab Melo. Rondo/Bradley Mayo/Waiters/Moore PP/Green Bass/Hill/JJJ KG/Thompson/Melo I think I can live with that team for 2 years!!!

If Boston has less then $25m to spend, how can they afford KG, Green, Bass, Young, Hill, Thompson?
    KG: $8m
    Bass $5m
    Green $5m
    Thompson $7m
    That leaves Hill to sign for the $2.5m exception. (If he would sign for that amount).
    Boston could not afford Nick Young.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about CAP SPACE : If Boston has less then $25m to spend, how can they afford KG, Green, Bass, Young, Hill, Thompson? KG: $8m Bass $5m Green $5m Thompson $7m That leaves Hill to sign for the $2.5m exception. (If he would sign for that amount). Boston could not afford Nick Young.
    Posted by Mark from Ct[/QUOTE]

How about no back to back games in the playoffs?  Post all the drivel you want about a team you HATE, but no one is letting you off the hook for that comment!!!!

Okay - so  no Bass and draft Royce White.
    You overestimate Thompson and Green.  He is coming off heart surgery.
    Young's qualifying is what?  I say 5 for him, 5 for Thompson, 5 for KG, 5 for Hill and Green signs for the 2.5!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about CAP SPACE : How about no back to back games in the playoffs?  Post all the drivel you want about a team you HATE, but no one is letting you off the hook for that comment!!!! Okay - so  no Bass and draft Royce White. You overestimate Thompson and Green.  He is coming off heart surgery. Young's qualifying is what?  I say 5 for him, 5 for Thompson, 5 for KG, 5 for Hill and Green signs for the 2.5!!

But don't you underestimate KG? I think he could sign for that kind of money but it's not a sure thing at all.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about CAP SPACE : But don't you underestimate KG? I think he could sign for that kind of money but it's not a sure thing at all.
    Posted by Fields4[/QUOTE]

My gut tells me he will retire anyway!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about CAP SPACE : How about no back to back games in the playoffs?  Post all the drivel you want about a team you HATE, but no one is letting you off the hook for that comment!!!! Okay - so  no Bass and draft Royce White. You overestimate Thompson and Green.  He is coming off heart surgery. Young's qualifying is what?  I say 5 for him, 5 for Thompson, 5 for KG, 5 for Hill and Green signs for the 2.5!!

KG is not a $5m/year player. That's an insult.
    KG deserves $8-9m for 2 years.
    Boston will probably have to choose between Bass and Green.
    Thompson won't come cheap.
    So, Boston is going to use up all of their cap space in 1 year with players that are barely starters?
    The following year Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Bynum and Howard could all be UFA's.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question about CAP SPACE : My gut tells me he will retire anyway!!

Hope your guts lie to you!))