Questions for the "we are going to be terrible prepare for tankapalooz II" crowd

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Questions for the "we are going to be terrible prepare for tankapalooz II" crowd

Least year the club won 26 games and blew like 17 4th quarter leads.

Play the "who would you rather have player X in 2013-14 or player X in 2014-15" game for me.

Would you rather have recovering from ACL surgery missing half the season Rondo or contract year chip on his shoulder healthy Rondo?

Humphries playing out of position at center giving the 8p/6r/1b in 20 mins we expected at age 29 or legit 7' with room to improve Zeller who averaged those numbers his first 2 seasons?

First year in the USA and quickly injured Faverani or healthy and hopefully adjusted (DUI aside) Faverani?

21-22 year old Sully off back surgery or 22-23 year old Sully with more experience and a better body?

22-23 year old Olynyk with his bad college body facing typical rookie adjustments or 23-24 year old Olynyk with a better body and the experience?

Nagging injuries Avery Bradley facing contract uncertainty (RFA) or confident, newly inked to the security of a 4 year deal Avery Bradley saying he is healthier than ever and the C's will 'surprise people'?

Unhappy Courtney Lee first half then gunner with terrible +/- numbers Bayless (who never played for a winner) 2nd half or Marcus Thornton, a much more consistent shooter than either of them, in a contract year?

Chris Johnson or Evan Turner?

Half a season of Jordan Crawford followed by undrafted rookie Pressy at backup PG or #6 overall pick built like a tank elite defense from day 1 albeit with questionable outside shooting marks Marcus Smart?

THAT my friends is the 10 man rotation I see us using.

You can argue over whether Bass, Wallace and Pressey will be better than last year, Pressey and Wallace should be since one was a rookie and the other injured. But I wouldn't have them in the rotation.

So really?

THAT team is going to stink up the joint and lose more games than last year to ensure a top 5 pick?

It isn't a team of Jeff Green's who willingly embrace the tank concept. Rondo and Stevens are two of the most driven competitive men in the NBA and Smart was like that in college. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Questions for the

Once Rondo is traded I will waive the white flag on the tank

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Play the "who would you rather have player X in 2013-14 or player X in 2014-15" game for me.

Would you rather have recovering from ACL surgery missing half the season Rondo or contract year chip on his shoulder healthy Rondo?

Humphries playing out of position at center giving the 8p/6r/1b in 20 mins we expected at age 29 or legit 7' with room to improve Zeller who averaged those numbers his first 2 seasons?

First year in the USA and quickly injured Faverani or healthy and hopefully adjusted (DUI aside) Faverani?

21-22 year old Sully off back surgery or 22-23 year old Sully with more experience and a better body?

22-23 year old Olynyk with his bad college body facing typical rookie adjustments or 23-24 year old Olynyk with a better body and the experience?

Nagging injuries Avery Bradley facing contract uncertainty (RFA) or confident, newly inked to the security of a 4 year deal Avery Bradley saying he is healthier than ever and the C's will 'surprise people'?

Unhappy Courtney Lee first half then gunner with terrible +/- numbers Bayless (who never played for a winner) 2nd half or Marcus Thornton, a much more consistent shooter than either of them, in a contract year?

Half a season of Jordan Crawford followed by undrafted rookie Pressy at backup PG or #6 overall pick built like a tank elite defense from day 1 albeit with questionable outside shooting marks Marcus Smart?

You can argue over whether Bass, Wallace and Pressey will be better than last year, Pressey and Wallace should be since one was a rookie and the other injured. But I wouldn't have them in the rotation.

So really?

THAT team is going to stink up the joint and lose more games than last year to ensure a top 5 pick?

It isn't a team of Jeff Green's who willingly embrace the tank concept. Rondo and Stevens are two of the most driven competitive men in the NBA and Smart was like that in college. 

Cs won 25 games last year... not 26.

Rondo took a 19-33 team and turned it into a 25-57 team, going 6-24 during his return to action.

As competitive/driven as you claim him to be, maybe he was "bored" during the last 30 games of the season. He was hardly inspired... or inspiring.

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Lots of assumptions, something you cant count on.

Also, players just dont get better just because they have another year of experience. I know it sounds logical but it just isnt always so.

Will Rondo be better for the C's this year? Well, it is his contract year so youd expect the best he can give. On the other hand, what Rondo thinks is best for him may not be whats best for the Celtics. In Rondos mind contract year may mean big stats year. So will we see even more of Rondo trying to pad his assists at the expense of the team?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

So really?

Rondo took a 19-33 team and turned it into a 25-57 team, going 6-24 during his return to action.

As competitive/driven as you claim him to be, maybe he was "bored" during the last 30 games of the season. He was hardly inspired... or inspiring.

Pud

My bad, 25 games Pud

Guess you missed the 'recovering from ACL surgery, held out every other game, 17 4th quarter leads blown during ownership and front office mandate to tank' part of last season.

While I accept the inevitable Rondo trade and agree he has not improved his game since the 2009 playoffs the way I expected, your continued hatred and ignorance of an obviously good player is shameful.

The playoff triple doubles, manning up LeBron, diving to the floor countless times and playing with his dead arm hanging at his side are all examples of the uninspired loser and team cancer he clearly is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Lots of assumptions, something you cant count on.

Also, players just dont get better just because they have another year of experience. I know it sounds logical but it just isnt always so.

Will Rondo be better for the C's this year? Well, it is his contract year so youd expect the best he can give. On the other hand, what Rondo thinks is best for him may not be whats best for the Celtics. In Rondos mind contract year may mean big stats year. So will we see even more of Rondo trying to pad his assists at the expense of the team?

Agree on Rondo part. A 17 point 8 assist Rondo shooting 50/35/75 and willingly mentoring Smart and doing everything Stevens asks while reverting to his 2009-2011 defensive would be awesome.

An 11 point, 12 assist, career shooting #'s, pound the ball, cold shoulder to Smart, smiles with Brad in public, clash of bball 'genius's' in private would be detrimental.

As for the young guys, it is more than logic it is odds. 80-90% of first round picks who show they can hang in the league and meet expectations years 1 and 2 get better years 2 and 3. The busts are quite obvious as rookies usually. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

So really?

Pud

My bad, 25 games Pud

Guess you missed the 'recovering from ACL surgery, held out every other game, 17 4th quarter leads blown during ownership and front office mandate to tank' part of last season.

While I accept the inevitable Rondo trade and agree he has not improved his game since the 2009 playoffs the way I expected, your continued hatred and ignorance of an obviously good player is shameful.

The playoff triple doubles, manning up LeBron, diving to the floor countless times and playing with his dead arm hanging at his side are all examples of the uninspired loser and team cancer he clearly is.

If Rondo were half the player you claim him to be.... I'd feel very differently about him.

Maybe the fault lies within Rondo.

Not within me.

How many more years will you continue to make excuses for him?

Pud

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Let's look at this as a business..

Rondo is in contract year and a decision has to be made as to if you want to or can sign him.  He is not a max contract type of player IMO . If he asks for more than your willing to pay, you have to get something for him or lose him and get nothing . 

All this crap about tanking is just that crap.  Do you think with the way the draft is set up, you lose games just to lose games and hope the ping pong balls fall for you??

this will be a young team with players expected to improve. If they don't it's on the players, coach and the talent evaluators.. 

My gut tells me DA knows trading RR is the best way to go, but no decent offers are being given. So the team is stuck for a while

Always Right.....at least in my mind

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

> this will be a young team with players expected to improve. If they don't it's on the players, coach and the talent evaluators..

Or it is just natural progression of a young rebuilding team.  Most players take at least 3-4 years to reach ceiling coming out of college into the NBA.  1 year removed from starting over and having just one year of lottery pick, it is not surprising that we suck.  Also it is unrealistic to expect that someone will trade us all-star player(s) for the draft picks we accumulated but that won't stop people to endlessly speculate and want something done right away.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Counter-point:

The Celtics have added some players that will make the team better... in a couple of years.  Other teams did not stand still either.  

The Celtics still have the following issues:

IF Rondo is at the point, we still have poor outside shooting (until Young, et al learn the system, gain confidence, experience and development).  So expect more frustration watching Rondo ruin the offensive tempo while the defense sags on his poor shooting ability.  If Smart excels and get more minutes, I foresee a Rondo melt-down which would negatively affect the team.  Smart has a better outside shot than Rondo.  Rondo is a liability on this team.  

I like the additions at SG and SF.  But it will take time to incorporate Turner, Thornton, Young (and Smart) into a cohesive playing unit at the expense of winning games this year.  

A starting 5 of Rondo, Bradley, Green, Bass and Fav will have a WORSE record this year than last.  Why? because the same flaws and weaknesses exist.  This is a second string unit top-down on most other competitive NBA teams.

You are assuming that there will be no injuries this year.  That is an unrealistic assumption.  

Fav is still unproven and defensively a liability IMO.  Oly is a lost tweener.  Not athletic enough to play PF and not capable of defending the rim as at Center (at this poont).  Zeller is at least a real center, albeit a second string one.  We are still weak at the Center position.   

MOST IMPORTANT:  This will be a year where Danny will need to showcase certain players for trades, who are not our best and not part of the future.  Rondo.  Bass.  Green.  Pressey.  Fav.  (maybe Wallace to see if he has anything left).  This will delay the effectiveness of the new guys when they get minutes and the cohesiveness of team play - a critical factor this year.

Regardless I do predict a slight improvement this year, primarily because of Smart, Turner and Zeller and Sully taking more shots closer in.  29 games in the win column and 8th worst record in the NBA.  Somehow we need to get a top 4-5 pick to draft a meaningful big man IMO.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

So really?

I'M WITH YOU ! THE CELTICS ARE GOING TO BE AWESOME TO WATCH THIS SEASON WITH THE NEW 10 MAN ROTATION YOU LISTED.......ANYONE KNOW THE CHEAPEST WAY FOR ME TO WATCH EVERY CELTICS GAME THIS SEASON FROM PHX ? I HAVE DISH NETWORK FOR TV, SHOULD I BUY A PACKAGE FROM THEM OR FROM NBA.COM FOR REAL TIME LIVE GAMES ONLINE ?  DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS SEASON, THIS IS A TEAM THAT IS GOING TO BE THE EAST COAST VERSION OF THE GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, VERY EXCITING TO WATCH, CAN'T WAIT............STILL, AINGE HAS TO MOVE SOME PLAYERS AND BRING IN ANOTHER BIG MAN FROM SOMEPLACE BEFORE OPENING NIGHT........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

PHX,

You can try online, sites like wizwig. As for buying NBA pass, I think Dish is better because you might have an option to bargain with them.

I'm in the same boat - have been getting NBA pass via DirecTV. The online is OK but the picture quality often very bad.

Good luck,

AK 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Counter-point:

The Celtics have added some players that will make the team better... in a couple of years.  Other teams did not stand still either.  

IF Rondo is at the point, we still have poor outside shooting (until Young, et al learn the system, gain confidence, experience and development).  So expect more frustration watching Rondo ruin the offensive tempo while the defense sags on his poor shooting ability.  If Smart excels and get more minutes, I foresee a Rondo melt-down which would negatively affect the team.  Smart has a better outside shot than Rondo.  Rondo is a liability on this team.  

I like the additions at SG and SF.  But it will take time to incorporate Turner, Thornton, Young (and Smart) into a cohesive playing unit at the expense of winning games this year.  

A starting 5 of Rondo, Bradley, Green, Bass and Fav will have a WORSE record this year than last.  Why? because the same flaws and weaknesses exist.  This is a second string unit top-down on most other competitive NBA teams.

You are assuming that there will be no injuries this year.  That is an unrealistic assumption.  

Fav is still unproven and defensively a liability IMO.  Oly is a lost tweener.  Not athletic enough to play PF and not capable of defending the rim as at Center (at this poont).  Zeller is at least a real center, albeit a second string one.  We are still weak at the Center position.   

MOST IMPORTANT:  This will be a year where Danny will need to showcase certain players for trades, who are not our best and not part of the future.  Rondo.  Bass.  Green.  Pressey.  Fav.  (maybe Wallace to see if he has anything left).  This will delay the effectiveness of the new guys when they get minutes and the cohesiveness of team play - a critical factor this year.

Regardless I do predict a slight improvement this year, primarily because of Smart, Turner and Zeller and Sully taking more shots closer in.  29 games in the win column and 8th worst record in the NBA.  Somehow we need to get a top 4-5 pick to draft a meaningful big man IMO.  

Why do you think Bass and Fav will start over Sully and Zeller? No way that happens.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:

Counter-point:

Why do you think Bass and Fav will start over Sully and Zeller? No way that happens.

[object HTMLDivElement]

No one knows who will start.  Based on last year, I see Rondo, Bradley, Green, Bass and Zeller.

Smart, Thornton, Turner, Sully and Oly as the second unit, with Pressey, Wallace and Fav as the reserves.  I see ZERO time for Anthony, and Young most of the year in the D-League.  But, again, none of us knows right now/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Counter-point:

[object HTMLDivElement]

No one knows who will start.  Based on last year, I see Rondo, Bradley, Green, Bass and Zeller.

Smart, Thornton, Turner, Sully and Oly as the second unit, with Pressey, Wallace and Fav as the reserves.  I see ZERO time for Anthony, and Young most of the year in the D-League.  But, again, none of us knows right now/

Sully is much better than bass. I would assume that would mean he would start.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

can you say...showcase?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

If you've been watching the NBA for the last 20 years or more, you know rebuilding teams don't suddenly become playoff teams or contenders after one or two seasons.

We can keep asking questions, but in the end the Celtics are not exempted from the rebuilding process.

Every team in the NBA will at some point be bad for a number of seasons.

That's how the NBA works.

Last season some here predicted 41 wins or 37 wins.

Some even called others absolute fools for not believing the Celts could win 30 games.

In the end a lot of excuses were made.

Rondo was injured.

Ainge prevented the Celts from winning 30 games.

Etc.

This summer is proof that the Celts don't always get what they want.

Celts owner told fans of "fireworks" that could happen in June.

June came and went and no fireworks.

It's funny how some here think Glen Taylor would agree to become the Santa Claus of the Boston Celtics.

In the end, Kevin Love went to the Cavs.

We can pretend the Celts are going to be awesome next season.

Nothing wrong with that.

But the reality is we have to be patient.

I've been watching the Celts for than 20 years now.

Celts always find a way to get back to the Finals.

We just have to wait!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Faux Hawk?!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

We is DOOMED!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

So really?

Did you watch last year? Without Crawford's play at point guard for the first 2 months of the season, the Celtics would not have won half of those games.  He was outstanding at point guard through November and December.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Counter-point:

The nets 1st rd pick may be in the top 5..

Always Right.....at least in my mind

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

Did you watch last year? Without Crawford's play at point guard for the first 2 months of the season, the Celtics would not have won half of those games.  He was outstanding at point guard through November and December.

So the debate is between would you prefer:

A. 39 games of Crawford playing the best ball of his career and the team winning actually 2/3 of their games, followed by 43 games of an undrafted rookie in Pressey, a mandate to tank, and winning 1/3 of their games 

or

B. An entire season of a rookie lottery pick in Smart

I still take Smart. 

Crawford - 30.7 mins, 13.7 points, 5.7 assists, 15.7 PER 32% shooting from 3

Pressey 2nd half of season (roughly) - 17 mins, 4 points, 4 assists, 1 steal, 30-35% on 3's season PER 8.8

So will we get 24 minutes, 9 points, 5 assists, 1.5 steals, 32% from 3 and a 12-13 PER or better from Smart all year? I sure hope so.

At the worst I'd see Smart going through some first half of the season growing pains as Stevens tries to give both him and Pressey mins, then by the 2nd half Smart will emerge and put up close to Crawford #'s, so it's be a wash. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Counter-point:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Sully is much better than bass. I would assume that would mean he would start.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Not so far he hasn't been.  I am on the trade-Bass-now bandwagon.  I'm even the President, but Bass was better than Sully last year, and deserved to start. I hope Sully outplays him and earns the job, but "much" is a bit much!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[/QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

rondo is always bored unless it's a playoff game.  he's a sandbagger.  makes maxwell ca. 1985 look like a go-getter

because rondo can't even carry the #1 position let alone a team, he will lead us to a great tank. 

however wouldn't it be great if we traded him and got something.   i'm sure danny's inbox has not yet received one inquiry about rondo's services because rondo's tennis helmet free throw and inability to hit anything outside at a decent rate means that he's not worth the 13m he gets this year.  untradeable because rondo has latent expectation he's worth MORE than his ending $ this year. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

Pud

rondo is always bored unless it's a playoff game.  he's a sandbagger.  makes maxwell ca. 1985 look like a go-getter

because rondo can't even carry the #1 position let alone a team, he will lead us to a great tank. 

however wouldn't it be great if we traded him and got something.   i'm sure danny's inbox has not yet received one inquiry about rondo's services because rondo's tennis helmet free throw and inability to hit anything outside at a decent rate means that he's not worth the 13m he gets this year.  untradeable because rondo has latent expectation he's worth MORE than his ending $ this year. 

Maybe "driven" is the wrong word to describe Rondo.

How about "chauffeured" instead?

"Driver... ummmmmm.... take me to the play offs.... I'm a star!"

Pud

• You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

So the debate is between would you prefer:

A. 39 games of Crawford playing the best ball of his career and the team winning actually 2/3 of their games, followed by 43 games of an undrafted rookie in Pressey, a mandate to tank, and winning 1/3 of their games 

or

B. An entire season of a rookie lottery pick in Smart

I still take Smart. 

Crawford - 30.7 mins, 13.7 points, 5.7 assists, 15.7 PER 32% shooting from 3

Pressey 2nd half of season (roughly) - 17 mins, 4 points, 4 assists, 1 steal, 30-35% on 3's season PER 8.8

So will we get 24 minutes, 9 points, 5 assists, 1.5 steals, 32% from 3 and a 12-13 PER or better from Smart all year? I sure hope so.

At the worst I'd see Smart going through some first half of the season growing pains as Stevens tries to give both him and Pressey mins, then by the 2nd half Smart will emerge and put up close to Crawford #'s, so it's be a wash. 

You also said you would take last season's Celtics over Pitino's 1998 Celtics.

The real NBA is not the PlayStation or X-Box.

I'm a Marcus Smart fan.

But right now Smart is not as good as Jordan Crawford.

Maybe after one season, but not now.

The NBA is not an exact science.

This was proven last season when you compared the 1998 Celtics to last season's Celtics.

Why?

According to you, last season's Celtics had more talent than the 1998 Celtics.

But in the end the 1998 Celtics won 36 games and the 2014 Celtics only won 25 games.

Your excuse is Ainge prevented the Celts from winning 30 games.

Like I said, the real NBA is not an exact science.

There are other factors to consider besides talent and stats.

• Sections
    Shortcuts