yes

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Re: Queston for the 30+ year Celtics fans

In response to Mchampion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

yes

[/QUOTE]

Reasons?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Yes, because he did what was necessary to get his team to win.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

KC had the ability to lead no questions. Was loved by the players. He was the right coach for the right team at the right time. I am not sure but it was a different time and Red was still upstairs may have helped. I liked KC he was a classy guy to boot.  He was a D minded player who played with Russ in college and with the Celtics. He did take the Bullets to the finals and was credited with the Defence of the 71-72 lakers who won 68 games. So it could be said he was a god coach even beofre the Celtics.  The guy was awesome defender West and Robertson had fits when KC played them.   They guy could sing as well. Think if Lou Rawls was not around KC may have been the smooth baratone instead.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

YES   !!!!  As Dad would say..................... "SON, a great coach is made by great players" !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Was KC Jones a great coach?

[/QUOTE]

Oh by the way he took a score first player like DJ and turned him into a wizard on the other end of the floor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

When Jones was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1989, he brought with him a legacy of personal respect. As Bird once cracked, "He's the kind of person I'd like to be, but I don't have the time to work at it."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Bill Fitch was a great coach.  KC Jones was a guy who could take talent and work with it.  Make all players understand their roles.  KC did not do well  in spots where he had to work from the ground up.  He was kind of like Phil Jackson in that he could take a good team and make it better.  Fitch built that team from the ground up.  The players starting tuning out Fitch as they gained experience, and KC was the perfect fit at the time for that team.  I don't think he could have coached the Big 3 when they first arrived, and I don't think he could coach this team now.

Yes, he was a good coach for the Boston Celtics in the mid-80's - perfect for the job.  Not a top 20 all-time NBA coach, though!

Hope that helps!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bill Fitch was a great coach.  KC Jones was a guy who could take talent and work with it.  Make all players understand their roles.  KC did not do well  in spots where he had to work from the ground up.  He was kind of like Phil Jackson in that he could take a good team and make it better.  Fitch built that team from the ground up.  The players starting tuning out Fitch as they gained experience, and KC was the perfect fit at the time for that team.  I don't think he could have coached the Big 3 when they first arrived, and I don't think he could coach this team now.

Yes, he was a good coach for the Boston Celtics in the mid-80's - perfect for the job.  Not a top 20 all-time NBA coach, though!

Hope that helps!

[/QUO

Just curious to see what others thought.  I think he was the right coach at the time for that team, but wouldn't say he was a great coach.  I agree with Bob Ryan's line when he said KC was more of a cruise director than coach.  I think its a little telling that Bird chose Fitch to induct him into the Hall of Fame.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

He wasn't as good as Tommy!!  Hard not to be a great coach when you have Bird and McHale in their prime!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

KC has a high winning percentage with 3 teams and that Bullets team was not the 86 Celtics by any means

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

teejaytee70                                                                                                                                  The big question  is whether his great record with the Celts was primarily due to his coaching ability (x's and o's) or the collective greatness of the players. In his case I believe that his great record with the Celts was for the most part a result of the greatness of the players. However, I also believe that a-side from the technical aspect of the game, a coach can exhibit greatness by having the ability to keep a team running smoothly by commanding their respect. Please note that in his other 6 years with other teams, that his record with the exception of 1 year, was at best mediocre. Lousy teams equal lousy records.      By the way. I've been a Celtic fan since the day that they played their first game in the nba.

Seems 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to genaro008's comment:
    [QUOTE]

KC has a high winning percentage with 3 teams and that Bullets team was not the 86 Celtics by any means

[/QUOTE]  You're right, and i think he was a great coach. I just think Tommy was a greater coach!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Bullets team was also during a time in the NBA when there were really no great teams.  This is when teams like Seattle and Portland won the NBA championships - kinda like when Jordan retired ( the first time) and the NBA was kinda wide open.  There was also that famous incident with the Bullets that almost ended KC's coaching career.  During a game, there was a camera rolling in the Bullets huddle during a time out and KC wasn't saying anything.  The players were all huddled around an assistant coach who was drawing up the play and telling them what to do.  Also, the Seattle team he coached was pretty talented - Dale Ellis, Xavier McDaniel, Gary Payton, Michael Cage, Ricky Pierce, Shawn Kemp and his record was exactly .500.  Not saying he was a bad coach, but great?  No.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Seems.....good to hear from you ...Happy New Year....stay healthy, happy, and safe my friend!

....in fact, to all on this board, regardless of which team you root for (or against) I wish you all the same....debating sports and controlling our egos and emotions can be difficult at times....but we are all just fans stating our opinions...and in many cases, just having some harmless fun....take care all....I say this in all sincerity

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Bullets team was also during a time in the NBA when there were really no great teams.  This is when teams like Seattle and Portland won the NBA championships - kinda like when Jordan retired ( the first time) and the NBA was kinda wide open.  There was also that famous incident with the Bullets that almost ended KC's coaching career.  During a game, there was a camera rolling in the Bullets huddle during a time out and KC wasn't saying anything.  The players were all huddled around an assistant coach who was drawing up the play and telling them what to do.  Also, the Seattle team he coached was pretty talented - Dale Ellis, Xavier McDaniel, Gary Payton, Michael Cage, Ricky Pierce, Shawn Kemp and his record was exactly .500.  Not saying he was a bad coach, but great?  No.

[/QUOTE]

All good points. However, the Bullets /Sonics rivary was pretty intense w/ some interesting players/characters on both sides. Also that Blazers team was on the cusp of greatness until Big Bill's injury. An even briefer bout of brillance awaited him on the 86/87 championship team. Those were  interesting times indeed...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Seems.....good to hear from you ...Happy New Year....stay healthy, happy, and safe my friend!

....in fact, to all on this board, regardless of which team you root for (or against) I wish you all the same....debating sports and controlling our egos and emotions can be difficult at times....but we are all just fans stating our opinions...and in many cases, just having some harmless fun....take care all....I say this in all sincerity

[/QUOTE]

Happy New year Duke. Good night for you to hook up "Old Dobbin" to the Sleigh and take a little ride through that snowy Maine countryside. Have a great year.

Seems

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I think KC Jones was a great coach.

Oh and Bill Fitch was not a great coach.  Which is why he was shown the door as soon as possible. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

KC Jones was just a good fit for that 80s Celtics team. He just let Larry Bird be Larry Bird.

As far as greatness goes, he was only coach for 10 seasons for 3 NBA teams, so that's a very small sample size.

After coaching the Celts, he became the Sonics coach in 1990 and got fired in 1992. In his last season with the Sonics, the Sonics had a record of 18-18 before he got fired. He was replaced by George Karl. Under the George Karl the Sonics went 27-15. That Sonics team had Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp, by the way.

[/QUOTE]

Heinsohn won two titles with no big three.  

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pa-Pow. Show Pa-Pow's posts

Oh boy, another stupid thought.  Look, Red mad these coaches what they are.  Bottom line is the current Celtics are "Toast!"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He wasn't as good as Tommy!!  Hard not to be a great coach when you have Bird and McHale in their prime!!

[/QUOTE]

parish wasn't chopped liver either.  and DJ

Sections
Shortcuts