Racism in Boston that Bill Russell Despised

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

Re: Racism in Boston that Bill Russell Despised

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

"Boston is www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Bill_Russell#Racist_abuse.2C_controversy_and_reconciliation">seen as a racist city. Russell himself once called it a “flea market of racism.” In fact, Russell experienced so much racially-motivated hatred Sports Illustrated once quoted him as saying, “I dislike most white people because they are people… I like most blacks because I am black.” When he left Boston, Russell claimed the city’s media was corrupt and racist. He couldn’t even accept his fans’ adoration; he felt the white folks who asked for his autograph only liked him because he played basketball well. If he couldn’t block shots at a phenomenal rate, Russell felt, the same fans clamoring for his signature would have seen him as just another black man.

Clearly, the issue of race has been a complicated one in Russell’s life, and especially during his time in Boston. Unlike many other beloved Boston sports stars, Russell bumped heads with the city he helped to so many championships. His basketball career should be remembered strictly for winning, which was the only thing Russell cared about on a basketball court. But by leaving behind a wake of racial unrest, Russell and the city of Boston grew apart in a way that never should have been necessary.

I’m not here to impart blame on either the city or Russell. The city was wrong for judging black people and treating Russell poorly. "

Maybe the Celtics should change their name to the Boston Bigots. It is much more fitting. Surprised

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

As I said before:

Until you can claim to have lived in the '50s and '60s anywhere in the U.S. you cannot comment on racism back then.  There are a lot of current NBA citiies Russell would have found repugnant back then -- and rightfully so.  Times change.  The past is in the past.  And by continuing to bring it up, you are making no point whatsoever. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Racism in Boston that Bill Russell Despised:
    [QUOTE]"Boston is www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Bill_Russell#Racist_abuse.2C_controversy_and_reconciliation " /> seen as a racist city . Russell himself once called it a “flea market of racism.” In fact, Russell experienced so much racially-motivated hatred Sports Illustrated once quoted him as saying, “I dislike most white people because they are people… I like most blacks because I am black.” When he left Boston, Russell claimed the city’s media was corrupt and racist. He couldn’t even accept his fans’ adoration; he felt the white folks who asked for his autograph only liked him because he played basketball well. If he couldn’t block shots at a phenomenal rate, Russell felt, the same fans clamoring for his signature would have seen him as just another black man. Clearly, the issue of race has been a complicated one in Russell’s life, and especially during his time in Boston. Unlike many other beloved Boston sports stars, Russell bumped heads with the city he helped to so many championships. His basketball career should be remembered strictly for winning, which was the only thing Russell cared about on a basketball court. But by leaving behind a wake of racial unrest, Russell and the city of Boston grew apart in a way that never should have been necessary. I’m not here to impart blame on either the city or Russell. The city was wrong for judging black people and treating Russell poorly. " Maybe the Celtics should change their name to the Boston Bigots. It is much more fitting.
    Posted by koberulz[/QUOTE]

That's why the Celtics brought in black players before the Lakers did... I get it.    It all makes sense now

the L.A. Riots, California's immigration laws, Compton, the Celtics starting an all-black lineup before any other team in the league

Boston is definitely worse than L.A. :/ dumba**

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 21st. Show 21st's posts

In Response to Re: Racism in Boston that Bill Russell Despised:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Racism in Boston that Bill Russell Despised : That's why the Celtics brought in black players before the Lakers did... I get it.    It all makes sense now the L.A. Riots, California's immigration laws, Compton, the Celtics starting an all-black lineup before any other team in the league Boston is definitely worse than L.A. :/ dumba**
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

LA Riots? Isn't that Andrew Bynum's team?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

I wonder who the Celtics token red-headed white guy will be this coming season. The Celtics have to have at least one because that is the only way they can sell tickets to all of the bigots living there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

I cannot remember any Laker EVER stating that he wished to play somewhere else due to the racism of the city of Los Angeles. Bill Russell felt this way about Boston as he called it a "flea market of racism".

Thanks for playing! Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

You still don't get it.  Times change.

By your logic, you must still be watching Rock Hudson/Doris Day films, driving a Chevy with tail fins, listening to Elvis on a pocket transistor radio, and eating 15-cent McDonalds hamburgers.

We've gotten past those in Boston. :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Number6Fan, if your statement is true then what is up with this?

www.yaledailynews.com/news/2011/feb/28/boston-club-apologizes-for-alleged-racism/">http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2011/feb/28/boston-club-apologizes-for-alleged-racism/

This occured less than a year ago.

Boston - Where racism and bigotry thrive on a day to day basis, or as Bill Russell put it "a flea market of racism".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Since your link doesn't work, I have no idea what it refers to.  But continuing to reiterate a quote that Russ made about the situation he faced in Boston 40 years ago as evidence it persists today is fatuous and ignorant.  And saying "Just sayin'" doesn't make anything that precedes it automatically true.

To continue my last response: You must also still be listening to vinyl, because your needle is stuck in a groove.  :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

Number6Fan, try this.  Also denial is not a cure for racism. Please inform the other bigots living there. Thank you!

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2011/feb/28/boston-club-apologizes-for-alleged-racism/?print

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Interesting, and sad.  But one incident does not make Boston, or any other city, a "hotbed of racism."  Any more than a preponderance of silicone makes L.A. a "city of floozies."  :-)

And watch the personal attacks.  If you're going to call me a bigot, you come out here and look me in the eye and say it to my face.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

1 incident?  Take the blinders off. It has been going on in Boston since the days of Russell and I am just pointing it out. I also apologize as I should have rephrased that sentence to "Please inform the bigots living there" and taken out the word "other" as you have not said anything that makes me think you are like the majoritiy of Bostonians.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Apology accepted.  But neither have I said anything that would make you think that I am not like the majority of Bostonians, because you have no idea what the majority of Bostonians are like. 

cheers --

Sections
Shortcuts