Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken

not trying to stir the convo up again, just thought it was an interesting article that shared both of a celtics fans beliefs about Rondo's play, using the Lakers as the example.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken

guess i have to add the link for this to be effective huh..smh..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Rondo's passing video, painful to watch. Not Rondo's fault but the slow molasses moves by our greatest center. Those are sure points. Just dunk it pls.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Interesting article.  Van Gundy has made the same point that playing off Rondo often results in (A) giving him a running start on penetrations or (B) the chance to stand there like a QB not facing a pass rush and throw pinpoint passes. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken:
    Interesting article.  Van Gundy has made the same point that playing off Rondo often results in (A) giving him a running start on penetrations or (B) the chance to stand there like a QB not facing a pass rush and throw pinpoint passes. 
    Posted by pliu

The same point was made by Heinsohn last year and by numerous posters on here including yours truly long before Van Gundy. Maybe he has been reading this comment board. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pliu. Show pliu's posts

Or maybe just proof positive that great minds think alike or that there is nothing new under the sun.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

i think it just laminates the fact that its RONDO that controls his game, not his opposition. he cant be guarded (no, kobe cant guard him). sometimes he gets way too passive and thats wat some posters on here cant stand about him, they want him to go at the opposition bc hes more than very effective that way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

rajon django. a missing finger shouldn't get in the way of greatness, nor should a missing shot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

rajon django. a missing finger shouldn't get in the way of greatness, nor should a missing shot.
    Posted by BaileyPowe

missing finger on the cordin or strummin hand?  i had no idea before you said that django had 9 tines

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Django may be missing a finger... but Rondo has the shot.

We've seen it in practice. We've seen it when he competes in H-O-R-S-E.

We've seen it early on in games or maybe at garbage time or as the clock is expiring.

What he is missing is confidence to take/make/miss the meaningful shot... and that's the difference between a D-leaguer and an NBA player, a bench player and a starter, an average player and a star.

My belief is that confidence is something you either have or you don't have. If you don't have it as an athlete by the mid 20's, you are for all intents and purposes with rare exceptions.... SOL.

Pud

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

the shot'll come. The kid is 24. He hasn't even hit his prime years yet. Jason Kidd had troubles with his jumper early in his career too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Django may be missing a finger... but Rondo has the shot . We've seen it in practice. We've seen it when he competes in H-O-R-S-E. We've seen it early on in games or maybe at garbage time or as the clock is expiring. What he is missing is confidence to take/make/miss the meaningful shot... and that's the difference between a D-leaguer and an NBA player, a bench player and a starter, an average player and a star. My belief is that confidence is something you either have or you don't have. If you don't have it as an athlete by the mid 20's, you are for all intents and purposes with rare exceptions.... SOL. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

All I know is that when things were tough against the Heat and da troof was obviously not feeling well Rondo stepped up and had an almost Rose like game - didn't he drop 30 against the Heat?

Most of the posters are absolutely - Rondo cannot be guarded but that is where they end the sentence.... they leave out the following Rondo cannot be guarded when nobody intends to guard him....

they are the 20th scoring offense in the league and only against Dallas and the Lakers recently have they scored over 100 - in their most recent losses Rose, Kidd, Wall, Brooks, etc. have outplayed Rondo and he has shown especially recently that he is, has been, and will be the worst shooter in the league.

What is really funny to me is that Doc has told Rondo that he needs to be more aggressive shooting and getting to the rim - um Doc he missed just about every shot that was not within 2 feet of the hoop and missed all but one of his freebies......  every pass by Rondo is a good pass.....

All of that said, the Cs are, when healthy, obviously the best team in the league.  It had to be demoralizing for the Heat to know that the Cs were missing their starting center, Pierce sick, and all the other injuries that they were not able to beat the Cs.

There are 3 teams built for the playoffs / finals.... the Cs, the Lakers, and the Mavs.... I will be stunned if one of them is not the champ.  The dark horse is da Buhz....  they have the MVP, they went the first 20 games or so without their 2nd best player and have gone the last 30 or so without their best defender and are still within striking distance.

The Heat, Magic, and Hawks are pretenders but will win lots of games during the regular season.

There are those intelligent people that realize, like last year in the finals, like last year in the US team, Rondo's inability to shoot does not result in some sort of "nobody can guard Rondo"..."Rondo is unstoppable"..."Rondo runs the team" concept.... the smart people realize that as we have all seen when people are not playing well or out injured Rondo does not get his assists and obtw he is ignored and continues to be the worst shooter in the league.

I keep reading how Rondo is the best point guard in the league but I also keep seeing that nobody has anywhere near the talent surrounding them but any number of other point guards putting as good if not better numbers.

Try to keep in mind that when Stockton put up back to back seasons of over 14 assists (which Rondo will not do) he also averaged 17 ppg, shot over 50% (not Rondo's fabricated - lay up only 50%), over 40% from 3 and over 80% from the line.

As I have said any number of times any shot not taken by Rondo is a good shot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken : missing finger on the cordin or strummin hand?  i had no idea before you said that django had 9 tines
    Posted by aciemvp

actually django had all his fingers, but digits three and four on his left, chording hand were badly injured in a fire and rendered pretty much useless. he had to re-invent how to play out of necessity.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

the shot'll come. The kid is 24. He hasn't even hit his prime years yet. Jason Kidd had troubles with his jumper early in his career too.
    Posted by jtkl

Yeah the shot will come.....  he is 25 less than a year younger than Paul and Williams.... the following point guards are better shooters........ EVERY SINGLE ONE...... in year 5 if you have not figured it out, you will not.  Don't hold up Kidd as the example.  People love to use an exception to the rule and apply it their example as if it is a given.

In other words, there is one example in history so it automatically applies to Rondo because it is some sort given.

Kidd has become a decent (life time 35% 3 point shooter) shooter, not a great one because nobody has guarded him for 15 years.  Rondo is 5 years into that 15 years and is simply the worst shooter in the league and there is not even any close.

Go through the league team by team and try to find the point guard that avoids shooting of any kind, avoid shooting 3s, avoiding getting to the line, etc.

The average, just average point guard, realize that shooting of any type is part of their job description.

Only in Boston are we supposed to believe that shooting is not part of the job description of a point guard and that Rondo is somehow subjugating his game to make sure that his 4 hall of fame starters get their shots.  The ultimate joke.

When we see passes into the stands, 3 second violations, 24 second violations, etc. nobody wants to accept that Rondo is causing it but then when he makes an alley oop pass we are all supposed to bust a nut and think that he invented it.

As I have said before, the degree to which he can be overrated could not even fill the Grand Canyon.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

The problem with Rondo is that sometimes he passes up a wide open ten foot shot, so someone else can take a twenty foot contested fall away. SHOOT THE BALL, RONDO!
    Posted by Kirk6

He has been given the green light to shoot and Doc has prompted him to be more aggressive AND HE HAS FAILED MISERABLY and that is why they are 20th in the league in scoring.

How often do we see a point guard take what most would consider a routine jumper and the crowd response is "airball, airball, airball"?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken : He has been given the green light to shoot and Doc has prompted him to be more aggressive AND HE HAS FAILED MISERABLY and that is why they are 20th in the league in scoring. How often do we see a point guard take what most would consider a routine jumper and the crowd response is "airball, airball, airball"?
    Posted by TheDUDDER

ok, of all the bs you spout, this has to be the worst. celtics play at a slower pace, so we're actually 15th in offensive efficiency. doesn't sound that great, but when shaq was in the lineup we were easily top 10, almost top 5. we lead the league in fg% and assists by a wide margin (and top 5 in 3pt%), we don't go for offensive rebounds because we prioritise fast break defense (which is part of the reason we're the league's best defensive team). the legitimate criticism of our offense has always been too many turnovers, but this usually stems from a desire to make the extra pass.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Rondo needs to take shots if he is open, 1st quarter, 2nd quarter, 3rd quarter or 4th quarter.

He will continue to be a very very bad shot if he does not shoot. Avoiding shooting gets him nowhere.

Jason Kidd was never a reluctant shooter. Rondo is a reluctant shooter. Reluctant shooters never learn to shoot.

The advantage that Kidd had over Rondo is that Kidd was unafraid to shoot... so he gradually learned ... by practicing his shot in game situations.

Repetition.

Anticipating a negative outcome, Rondo avoids taking his shots...  and does so only when pushed to the max.

Pud

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken : Kidd shoots less than 2% more than Rondo when he has the ball. They lead the league in not shooting when they have the ball. Kidd is also a career 40% shooter which sucks. He improved his 3 ball to be respectable as his career is winding down and that's it. I have no clue what your comparison is. He's never been a good shooter. Rondo can take more shots when the big 3 are gone. His job is to get the better shooters the ball.
    Posted by tompenny

Kidd gets defensive attention. He has a serviceable jumper.

Huge difference.

He'll take what the defense gives him. Rondo won't.

That pretty well sums it up.

Pud

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

i think on this team its the ultimate sacrifice. everyone has a role. ray shoots the most 3's, thats his role. paul creates his shots, thats his role. kg works around the blocks and shoots pick and roll jumpshots bc thats his role. rondos job is to decide who gets the ball and wen. he is the qb of the whole organization. his job isnt to shoot every single time hes close to being open bc he has other options, he doesnt have to. and wen he does shoot, hes not terrible. he has a .504 fg% Deron Williams? 46.7%. CP3? 48.4%. Russel Westbrook. 43.7%. now they do shoot more than Rondo, but its bc they HAVE to. so as far as this "worst shooter in the league" crap, its bologna. 

if everyone that has the "talent that boston has" would post the same or better numbers...whats up with Mario Chalmers? Derek Fisher? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken : Awesome.  Kidds 36% shooting this year is great !!! At least he takes the shots. Kidd also gets defensive attention. Have you ever watched him play the last 5 years? He passes 80% of the time. You thing they are worried about him shooting. Your a joke. Rondo isn't a good shooter and neither is Kidd. 
    Posted by tompenny

If I'm not mistaken, JKidd beat us with a clutch shot last time we played.

At least he takes the shots. Indeed!

Pud

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken : John Wall beat us this year with a bank shot 3 with pure luck. What a shooter !!! Face it your comparison sucks. J Kidd is not a model I want Rondo's offense to be like. Considering your talking about shooting how about picking guys that are good at shooting.
    Posted by tompenny

Other people make the comparison between Rondo and JKidd as though Rondo is perhaps going to be another JKidd. That's not my doing. That seems to be the  consensus best case senario here at BDC.

My sense is that Rondo will struggle mightily to ever shoot as well as Kidd. More likely, he  will continue to be the worst shooting PG in the league by a wide margin.

Take it for what its worth. Not good news at all.

Pud

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken : Other people make the comparison between Rondo and JKidd as though Rondo is perhaps going to be another JKidd. That's not my doing. That seems to be the  consensus best case senario here at BDC. My sense is that Rondo will struggle mightily to ever shoot as well as Kidd. More likely, he  will continue to be the worst shooting PG in the league by a wide margin. Take it for what its worth. Not good news at all. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

pud, do you honestly believe that? i mean, come on. hes improved his shooting every season, and ive liked wat uve said about him the last few weeks, but hes not even the worst shooting pg in the league STATISTICALLY. hes shooting a better percentage than williams, rose, and paul. you can score 30 pts on 15-40 shooting, is that really good tho?? lets stop calling him the worst shooting pg untill we can prove it statistically.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

I keep reading how Rondo is the best point guard in the league but I also keep seeing that nobody has anywhere near the talent surrounding them but any number of other point guards putting as good if 

You are wrong. Mario Chalmers is is playing with the best player in the league, a top 5 player in the league and and a perinial all star at power forward.

He is averaging, 6 points and 2.2 assists a game. Whether or not Rondo is the best point guard inthe game is debatable, what Chalmers proves is that it takes more than be surrounded by talent to be in the discussion. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Don't hold up Kidd as the example.  People love to use an exception to the rule and apply it their example as if it is a given. In other words, there is one example in history so it automatically applies to Rondo because it is some sort given. Kidd has become a decent (life time 35% 3 point shooter) shooter, not a great one because nobody has guarded him for 15 years.  Rondo is 5 years into that 15 years and is simply the worst shooter in the league and there is not even any close. 

I will hold out Kidd as an example because Kidd couldn't shoot for much of his career and is a hall of famer? Why? He was a great passer, like Rondo, an excellent defender, and a terrifc rebounding point guard. You argue that only Boston fans suggest shooting is not in the job description. I argue only you seem to think shooting is the only phase of the game.  

1) Rondo is a great rebounder for a point guard one of the best rebounding point guards in the game (much like Kidd)

2) He is a great passer with superior vision (much like Kidd.)

3) He is a terrific defender, second this year in steals. (Much like Stockton was.)

4) he scores 10 to 12 points a night as part of a perfectly balanced attack on 50% shooting from the field. That not guarding him hurts. 

Sections
Shortcuts