Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken:
    In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken : If I'm not mistaken, JKidd beat us with a clutch shot last time we played. At least he takes the shots. Indeed! Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

He does at this phase of his career. He wouldn't have early on. Certainly not if he had Ray Allen or Paul Pierce on his team. He just  wasn't a good enough shooter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken : If I'm not mistaken, JKidd beat us with a clutch shot last time we played. At least he takes the shots. Indeed! Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

so he beat us with a shot..at least he takes the shots. how bout the shot rondo took at the end of the first Mavs meeting? at least he took the shot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

guess i have to add the link for this to be effective huh..smh.. http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/12/rajon-rondo-and-the-shots-not-taken/

Posted by JamezHill24

-

Congratulations, Jamez,  on starting one of the best Rondo threads I have ever read on this forum. Hardly a stupid comment among them.

And you linked to a great article: I can hardly believe it came out of the NYT's except for the fact that it is so intelligent and so well written.

I admit, when I saw the title, I expected another round of Rondo bashing, not nuanced, well thought out discourse, but all the contributors to this thread have given me new hope for this board.

I'm not trying to set myself up as an arbiter of taste, but to quote a BBC sit-com, "You've all done very well!"

And thanks for all the Django references, you all.  I do believe Rondo has the Minor Swing down as well as all the subtle nuances of Nuages.

And with those huge hands, he'd make one hell of a guitar picker.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

Django may be missing a finger... but Rondo has the shot . We've seen it in practice. We've seen it when he competes in H-O-R-S-E. We've seen it early on in games or maybe at garbage time or as the clock is expiring. What he is missing is confidence to take/make/miss the meaningful shot... and that's the difference between a D-leaguer and an NBA player, a bench player and a starter, an average player and a star. My belief is that confidence is something you either have or you don't have. If you don't have it as an athlete by the mid 20's, you are for all intents and purposes with rare exceptions.... SOL. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Maybe we should consider a trade. Who do you think we can get for you?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken : Other people make the comparison between Rondo and JKidd as though Rondo is perhaps going to be another JKidd. That's not my doing. That seems to be the  consensus best case senario here at BDC. My sense is that Rondo will struggle mightily to ever shoot as well as Kidd. More likely, he  will continue to be the worst shooting PG in the league by a wide margin. Take it for what its worth. Not good news at all. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

You'll struggle mightily to figure out that all Rondo has to do from this point on is to play like Rondo and he will have a career every bit as good as Kidd who is headed to the hall of fame.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

JKIdd is 3rd among the all time NBA 3 point leaders. An 80% FT shooter. 15+ years averaging 14 PPG, 7 RPG and 10 APG. Future HOFer.

Not afraid to shoot. Not afraid of the big moment. Clutch  performer. Plenty of heart.

His recent buzzer beater trey against the C's was hardly a fluke. He has broken many hearts over the years.

Young Rondo  could do far far worse than to try to emulate JKidd's shooting prowess and all around game.

But realistically,  the chances????

Smart money says no.

Pud

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

JKIdd is 3rd among the all time NBA 3 point leaders. An 80% FT shooter. 15+ years averaging 14 PPG, 7 RPG and 10 APG. Future HOFer. Not afraid to shoot. Not afraid of the big moment. Clutch  performer. Plenty of heart. His recent buzzer beater trey against the C's was hardly a fluke. He has broken many hearts over the years. Young Rondo  could do far far worse than to try to emulate JKidd's shooting prowess and all around game. But realistically,  the chances???? Smart money says no. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Got to agree with you on this one. Only a handful of players will reach Kidd's status. Chances are against anyone, including Rondo, that he gets to that level. That's a no brainer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken : Other people make the comparison between Rondo and JKidd as though Rondo is perhaps going to be another JKidd. That's not my doing. That seems to be the  consensus best case senario here at BDC. My sense is that Rondo will struggle mightily to ever shoot as well as Kidd. More likely, he  will continue to be the worst shooting PG in the league by a wide margin. Take it for what its worth. Not good news at all. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Pud, Dud, and Acie have been peddling this line of bull relentlessly.  THEY ARE COMPLETELY, UTTERLY WRONG.  Here is the proof.

First of all, we all know that Rondo has one of the best FG percentages among NBA PGs.  But that fact is dismissed by his critics.  When they say "shooting", they mean jump shots only.  Shots in the paint don't count, apparently.  I guess they think those shots are too easy.

OK, let's accept their nonsensical definition of shooting for the moment and take a look at this year's jump shooting by the consensus top five PGs plus Jason Kidd.  (Stats from 82games.com, as of January 19th).

Attempted jump shots as a percentage of all shots and effective FGM% for jump shots only:

DRose.........71%.....  45.3%   
    CPaul........ .83%.....  49.7%
    DWilliams.....74%.....  49.8%
    Westbrook....63%....  37.8%
    JKidd...........89%.....  42.3%    

RRondo........55%.....  45.3%

Wow! CPaul and DWilliams are GREAT jump shooters!  DRose, who is having his best year by far, is not far behind them, and JKidd only a bit more so. (Westbrook should maybe stick to layups.)

And Rondo?  Supposedly "the worst shooting PG in the league"?  Tied with DRose??!!  Only a few points behind the top PGs in what is supposedly his great weakness??!! 

But wait!  Perhaps they are referring only to "crunch time" - you know, when Rondo "disappears, runs to the corner and hides" etc.  Unfortunately, there is no breakdown of jump shots in crunch time, but 82games' data does show that in "crunch time":

Rondo shoots MORE
    scores more
    hits 50% of his shots
    gets more assists
    has fewer turnovers
    makes more of his FTs

Those are the FACTS, not what someone "sees" as a result of their bias. 

Some people are gonna be eating a lot of crow!  And they owe the rest of us an apology for wasting so much of our time with errant nonsense. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

djangowski,

while we wait for our apologies, off topic:

i'm washing dishes the other night and decide i want some tunes. blonde on blonde gets the nod. visions of johanna comes on and i'm wondering why i've always ignored this album and this song. then, about six minutes in, something about louise saying "ya can't look at much, can ya man" and i'm wondering where i've heard that line before. then it dawns on me. had to smile.     

go Cs!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken : He has been given the green light to shoot and Doc has prompted him to be more aggressive AND HE HAS FAILED MISERABLY and that is why they are 20th in the league in scoring. How often do we see a point guard take what most would consider a routine jumper and the crowd response is "airball, airball, airball"?
    Posted by TheDUDDER

He changed his shot 2 years ago from that beside the head monstrocity to a normal centered shot...And, first comes failure and embarrassment and then, breakthrough (yes, possibly more failure without eventual success)...at least he's taking the shots and while it looks darkest now, hopefully the dawn is coming soon. Isn't that what you are hoping for as well; that at some point soon, Rondo's outside shot will start falling more regularly?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken : Pud, Dud, and Acie have been peddling this line of bull relentlessly.  THEY ARE COMPLETELY, UTTERLY WRONG.  Here is the proof. First of all, we all know that Rondo has one of the best FG percentages among NBA PGs.  But that fact is dismissed by his critics.  When they say "shooting", they mean jump shots only.  Shots in the paint don't count, apparently.  I guess they think those shots are too easy. OK, let's accept their nonsensical definition of shooting for the moment and take a look at this year's jump shooting by the consensus top five PGs plus Jason Kidd.  (Stats from 82games.com, as of January 19th). Attempted jump shots as a percentage of all shots and effective FGM% for jump shots only: DRose.........71%.....  45.3%    CPaul........ .83%.....  49.7% DWilliams.....74%.....  49.8% Westbrook....63%....  37.8% JKidd...........89%.....  42.3%     RRondo........55%.....  45.3% Wow! CPaul and DWilliams are GREAT jump shooters!  DRose, who is having his best year by far, is not far behind them, and JKidd only a bit more so. (Westbrook should maybe stick to layups.) And Rondo?  Supposedly "the worst shooting PG in the league"?  Tied with DRose??!!  Only a few points behind the top PGs in what is supposedly his great weakness??!!  But wait!  Perhaps they are referring only to "crunch time" - you know, when Rondo "disappears, runs to the corner and hides" etc.  Unfortunately, there is no breakdown of jump shots in crunch time, but 82games' data does show that in "crunch time": Rondo shoots MORE scores more hits 50% of his shots gets more assists has fewer turnovers makes more of his FTs Those are the FACTS, not what someone "sees" as a result of their bias.  Some people are gonna be eating a lot of crow!  And they owe the rest of us an apology for wasting so much of our time with errant nonsense. 
    Posted by jerrycole

Good analysis; although since the definition of a jump shot is not mentioned, and we all know what a 3-point shot is, perhaps that statistic is useful as well:
    Rose 36.2%
    Paul 43.9%
    Williams 34.8%
    Westbrook 30.2%
    Kidd 35.1%
    Rondo 31%
    Not too shabby for a guy who changed his shot from awkard to normal just 2 years ago.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken : Pud, Dud, and Acie have been peddling this line of bull relentlessly.  THEY ARE COMPLETELY, UTTERLY WRONG.  Here is the proof. First of all, we all know that Rondo has one of the best FG percentages among NBA PGs.  But that fact is dismissed by his critics.  When they say "shooting", they mean jump shots only.  Shots in the paint don't count, apparently.  I guess they think those shots are too easy. OK, let's accept their nonsensical definition of shooting for the moment and take a look at this year's jump shooting by the consensus top five PGs plus Jason Kidd.  (Stats from 82games.com, as of January 19th). Attempted jump shots as a percentage of all shots and effective FGM% for jump shots only: DRose.........71%.....  45.3%    CPaul........ .83%.....  49.7% DWilliams.....74%.....  49.8% Westbrook....63%....  37.8% JKidd...........89%.....  42.3%     RRondo........55%.....  45.3% Wow! CPaul and DWilliams are GREAT jump shooters!  DRose, who is having his best year by far, is not far behind them, and JKidd only a bit more so. (Westbrook should maybe stick to layups.) And Rondo?  Supposedly "the worst shooting PG in the league"?  Tied with DRose??!!  Only a few points behind the top PGs in what is supposedly his great weakness??!!  But wait!  Perhaps they are referring only to "crunch time" - you know, when Rondo "disappears, runs to the corner and hides" etc.  Unfortunately, there is no breakdown of jump shots in crunch time, but 82games' data does show that in "crunch time": Rondo shoots MORE scores more hits 50% of his shots gets more assists has fewer turnovers makes more of his FTs Those are the FACTS, not what someone "sees" as a result of their bias.  Some people are gonna be eating a lot of crow!  And they owe the rest of us an apology for wasting so much of our time with errant nonsense. 
    Posted by jerrycole

best post of this discussion..somehow, SOMEHOW they will try to explain these facts, but wen it comes down to it, you cant. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

JKIdd is 3rd among the all time NBA 3 point leaders. An 80% FT shooter. 15+ years averaging 14 PPG, 7 RPG and 10 APG. Future HOFer. Not afraid to shoot. Not afraid of the big moment. Clutch  performer. Plenty of heart. His recent buzzer beater trey against the C's was hardly a fluke. He has broken many hearts over the years. Young Rondo  could do far far worse than to try to emulate JKidd's shooting prowess and all around game. But realistically,  the chances???? Smart money says no. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

You are looking at the total career.  Jason Kidd's first four years in the league he shot around 68% for free throws and had a fg% under 40% for all but one of those years.   His recent buzzer beater was with over 18 years in the league, working I'm sure on his jump shot. And Rondo has plenty of heart. That is not a problem for the Kid. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken : He changed his shot 2 years ago from that beside the head monstrocity to a normal centered shot...And, first comes failure and embarrassment and then, breakthrough (yes, possibly more failure without eventual success)...at least he's taking the shots and while it looks darkest now, hopefully the dawn is coming soon. Isn't that what you are hoping for as well; that at some point soon, Rondo's outside shot will start falling more regularly?
    Posted by futbal

Rondo may eventually become an actual 50% shooter as opposed to all the point guards that around 50% now and their shots actually include finishing, 3 point shots and contested jump shots.  Let's face it nobody guards Rondo and he still barely catches iron most of the time and once in a great while he will hit a 3 when the shot clock is winding down and somehow that is supposed to be the greatest shot in the history of the league.

When Rondo becomes a good shooter it will be when there are no more hall of famers on the roster.

They are in the bottom third of the league in points scored and most bloggers ignore it because their defense wins games but then when they face a good defensive team and lose it is somehow the refs, or paul or kg or injuries, etc.  Somehow it is never the fact the worst shooter in the league is the starting point guard who cannot be on the floor in the later stages of the game, cannot be a recipient in a last second shot (as a matter of fact is charged with passing the ball in - how ridiculous is that? - the smallest guy on the floor is responsible for getting the ball in when he should be one of the options on the floor to attempt the last shot).

As I have said any number of times and as has been said on WEEI by Jackie Mac most of Rondo's assists come from whom he plays with.  Coach K and Doc both said Rondo's inability to shoot hurts the team. 

I contend that the whole "length" discussion is a joke and that Rondo's inability to make routine jumpers and not even requiring anyone to guard him cost the Cs number 18 and has cost them any number of games this year.

I keep hearing about how Rondo is a pass first point guard and that his scoring is irrelevant as long as he helps his teammates score. 

They are 20th in the league in scoring and there are at least a half dozen games recently where they did not score 90 points and were beaten.

When I think of great point guards I tend to think of someone being able to take over a game and "will" a team to win.  But what I see is a team losing close games when the other team has tough matchups for #5, #34, AND #20.  When the other team has good matchups against the bulls, they win, when the other team has tough match ups against the Spurs, Parker helps them win, etc.

Rondo cannot take over games, cannot win games, cannot make free throws, cannot make routine jumpers, cannot make dagger 3s, cannot win without 3 hall of fame players.

Therefore and as I have said any number of times, give me the 3 hall of famers and any number of other point guards in the league and the Cs are no worse off and in many cases better.

Go RR....   keep shooting.... it helps KG, Perk, and you yourself to prop up your own rebound stats......... going into the huddle KG says "hey Doc, I need 2 rebounds for a trip doub let's run plays for RR jumpers".........

Give me Ray Felton and the Cs are no worse off and PP says hey Doc how come I didn't get double teamed tonight?    Um... Felton can shoot.  "Hey Doc how come we keep scoring 106 instead of 99?"  Well Paul that is because we now only have one stiff in the starting 5 instead of 2.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken : Rondo may eventually become an actual 50% shooter as opposed to all the point guards that around 50% now and their shots actually include finishing, 3 point shots and contested jump shots.  Let's face it nobody guards Rondo and he still barely catches iron most of the time and once in a great while he will hit a 3 when the shot clock is winding down and somehow that is supposed to be the greatest shot in the history of the league. When Rondo becomes a good shooter it will be when there are no more hall of famers on the roster. They are in the bottom third of the league in points scored and most bloggers ignore it because their defense wins games but then when they face a good defensive team and lose it is somehow the refs, or paul or kg or injuries, etc.  Somehow it is never the fact the worst shooter in the league is the starting point guard who cannot be on the floor in the later stages of the game, cannot be a recipient in a last second shot (as a matter of fact is charged with passing the ball in - how ridiculous is that? - the smallest guy on the floor is responsible for getting the ball in when he should be one of the options on the floor to attempt the last shot). As I have said any number of times and as has been said on WEEI by Jackie Mac most of Rondo's assists come from whom he plays with.  Coach K and Doc both said Rondo's inability to shoot hurts the team.  I contend that the whole "length" discussion is a joke and that Rondo's inability to make routine jumpers and not even requiring anyone to guard him cost the Cs number 18 and has cost them any number of games this year. I keep hearing about how Rondo is a pass first point guard and that his scoring is irrelevant as long as he helps his teammates score.  They are 20th in the league in scoring and there are at least a half dozen games recently where they did not score 90 points and were beaten. When I think of great point guards I tend to think of someone being able to take over a game and "will" a team to win.  But what I see is a team losing close games when the other team has tough matchups for #5, #34, AND #20.  When the other team has good matchups against the bulls, they win, when the other team has tough match ups against the Spurs, Parker helps them win, etc. Rondo cannot take over games, cannot win games, cannot make free throws, cannot make routine jumpers, cannot make dagger 3s, cannot win without 3 hall of fame players. Therefore and as I have said any number of times, give me the 3 hall of famers and any number of other point guards in the league and the Cs are no worse off and in many cases better. Go RR....   keep shooting.... it helps KG, Perk, and you yourself to prop up your own rebound stats......... going into the huddle KG says "hey Doc, I need 2 rebounds for a trip doub let's run plays for RR jumpers"......... Give me Ray Felton and the Cs are no worse off and PP says hey Doc how come I didn't get double teamed tonight?    Um... Felton can shoot.  "Hey Doc how come we keep scoring 106 instead of 99?"  Well Paul that is because we now only have one stiff in the starting 5 instead of 2.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

name me one elite pg with a fg% higher then Rondo's..go look it up rite now. the "worst shooter in the league" has a higher fg% than Rose, Williams, Westbrook, etc so hes not even bad statistically. if you would have bothered to read the posts before you would know this, but you ignore it bc it hurts your point. They are in the botttom half in scoring but tops in efficiency. why? they take quality shots. who sets up most of these quality shots? 9. 

last year doc said his inability hurt the team, but 1. he wants him to shoot and 2. this is not last year..he has improved AGAIN. and to say that he cant take over a game and will his team to victories is absurd..really. 

theres a diff on this board between the Rondo critics and Rondo Haters, and its obvious you just straight up HATE Rondo.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Hey Dudder, can you explain why Mario Chalmers is averaging 2.2 assists a game playing with Lebron James, D-Wayde and Chris Bosh -- in their primes no less --unlike our big three? Seems like vision and the speed to penetrate and kick might be part of the assists equation. Sems like Ball Handling might be part of the equation. 

For that matter why did Chris Paul average only 4 assits a game playing with the redeem team? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

dudder, last year you were featuring brandon 38% jennings. does felton join him or replace him on your rondo superior list?  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

Posted by jerrycole

this is quite possibly the best post I've ever read about rondo in this board

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrycole. Show jerrycole's posts

Aw, shucks, guys.  You're gettin' me all embarrassed.

By the way, I'm nominating the Dud's post for this year's "most unintentionally funny" award.

Gee, where are Pud and Acie?  Wanna bet on whether they are poring over stats, trying to find some evidence that supports their unreasoning hatred of Rondo?

My definition of a "sports hater" is someone who automatically, and without fail, assumes the worst possible motive for the player who is the object of their negativity.  "He's lazy."  "He thinks he is so good that he doesn't need to practice his shooting."  "He is only interested in his stats."  "He is afraid to drive to the basket because he doesn't want to take a chance of having to go to the line for FTs."  Etc., etc.  As if they were sports psycholigists or mind-readers.

With the quantum jump that DRose has taken this year, and DWilliams recent difficulties, the three top PGs in the league are CPaul, DRose and Rondo.  People could argue forever about what order they should be ranked, but it's safe to say that there is a drop off to the next set of PGs.  In my opinion.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Aw, shucks, guys.  You're gettin' me all embarrassed. By the way, I'm nominating the Dud's post for this year's "most unintentionally funny" award. Gee, where are Pud and Acie?  Wanna bet on whether they are poring over stats, trying to find some evidence that supports their unreasoning hatred of Rondo? My definition of a "sports hater" is someone who automatically, and without fail, assumes the worst possible motive for the player who is the object of their negativity.  "He's lazy."  "He thinks he is so good that he doesn't need to practice his shooting."  "He is only interested in his stats."  "He is afraid to drive to the basket because he doesn't want to take a chance of having to go to the line for FTs."  Etc., etc.  As if they were sports psycholigists or mind-readers. With the quantum jump that DRose has taken this year, and DWilliams recent difficulties, the three top PGs in the league are CPaul, DRose and Rondo.  People could argue forever about what order they should be ranked, but it's safe to say that there is a drop off to the next set of PGs.  In my opinion.
    Posted by jerrycole

Well it certainly is great to see J/C stoking the fires of hatred and intolerance for fellow posters once again at BDC. .. after a long, long sabbatical.

Some things never change.

Pud

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

djangowski, while we wait for our apologies, off topic:   i'm washing dishes the other night and decide i want some tunes. blonde on blonde gets the nod. visions of johanna comes on and i'm wondering why i've always ignored this album and this song. then, about six minutes in, something about louise saying "ya can't look at much, can ya man" and i'm wondering where i've heard that line before. then it dawns on me. had to smile.      go Cs!!!

Posted by BaileyPowe

-

Bingo  -  Djingo.

Sorry there's no cash prize invloved.

Yell

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Isn't rondo already a 50% plus shooter?  He used to be anyway.  His percentage probably won't improve, but his shot selection will change and his shots per game will increase.  Don't look for a huge increase until post big3 when he can get more shots so that's he's less nervous about his shots.

BTW, rondo was lights-out last year vs durant in the horse game.  Under different circumstances the kid can definitely shoot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

Posted by puddinpuddin

I wish you would stop trying to put words in other people's mouths. Rondo is a better athlete than Kidd. Time was you and your alter ego Dudder would have advocated trading Rondo for Kidd so don't blame your Kidd comparison complex on other people.

Why can't you just give it a rest?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

i think on this team its the ultimate sacrifice. everyone has a role. ray shoots the most 3's, thats his role. paul creates his shots, thats his role. kg works around the blocks and shoots pick and roll jumpshots bc thats his role. rondos job is to decide who gets the ball and wen. he is the qb of the whole organization. his job isnt to shoot every single time hes close to being open bc he has other options, he doesnt have to. and wen he does shoot, hes not terrible. he has a .504 fg% Deron Williams? 46.7%. CP3? 48.4%. Russel Westbrook. 43.7%. now they do shoot more than Rondo, but its bc they HAVE to. so as far as this "worst shooter in the league" crap, its bologna.  if everyone that has the "talent that boston has" would post the same or better numbers...whats up with Mario Chalmers? Derek Fisher? 
    Posted by JamezHill24

Please dont confuse the uds with facts. If you do, pud and dud will recruit their third  multiple personality mud to post more Rondo -bashing nonsense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo and the Shots Not Taken : Rondo may eventually become an actual 50% shooter as opposed to all the point guards that around 50% now and their shots actually include finishing, 3 point shots and contested jump shots.  Let's face it nobody guards Rondo and he still barely catches iron most of the time and once in a great while he will hit a 3 when the shot clock is winding down and somehow that is supposed to be the greatest shot in the history of the league. When Rondo becomes a good shooter it will be when there are no more hall of famers on the roster. They are in the bottom third of the league in points scored and most bloggers ignore it because their defense wins games but then when they face a good defensive team and lose it is somehow the refs, or paul or kg or injuries, etc.  Somehow it is never the fact the worst shooter in the league is the starting point guard who cannot be on the floor in the later stages of the game, cannot be a recipient in a last second shot (as a matter of fact is charged with passing the ball in - how ridiculous is that? - the smallest guy on the floor is responsible for getting the ball in when he should be one of the options on the floor to attempt the last shot). As I have said any number of times and as has been said on WEEI by Jackie Mac most of Rondo's assists come from whom he plays with.  Coach K and Doc both said Rondo's inability to shoot hurts the team.  I contend that the whole "length" discussion is a joke and that Rondo's inability to make routine jumpers and not even requiring anyone to guard him cost the Cs number 18 and has cost them any number of games this year. I keep hearing about how Rondo is a pass first point guard and that his scoring is irrelevant as long as he helps his teammates score.  They are 20th in the league in scoring and there are at least a half dozen games recently where they did not score 90 points and were beaten. When I think of great point guards I tend to think of someone being able to take over a game and "will" a team to win.  But what I see is a team losing close games when the other team has tough matchups for #5, #34, AND #20.  When the other team has good matchups against the bulls, they win, when the other team has tough match ups against the Spurs, Parker helps them win, etc. Rondo cannot take over games, cannot win games, cannot make free throws, cannot make routine jumpers, cannot make dagger 3s, cannot win without 3 hall of fame players. Therefore and as I have said any number of times, give me the 3 hall of famers and any number of other point guards in the league and the Cs are no worse off and in many cases better. Go RR....   keep shooting.... it helps KG, Perk, and you yourself to prop up your own rebound stats......... going into the huddle KG says "hey Doc, I need 2 rebounds for a trip doub let's run plays for RR jumpers"......... Give me Ray Felton and the Cs are no worse off and PP says hey Doc how come I didn't get double teamed tonight?    Um... Felton can shoot.  "Hey Doc how come we keep scoring 106 instead of 99?"  Well Paul that is because we now only have one stiff in the starting 5 instead of 2.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[
    "As I have said any number of times " quoth the raven. And yet he is compelled by some irresistible force to say it again and again and again. Schizophrenics are susceptible to obsessively dwelling on some imagined grievance or another. You are just tedious,dude. As Bob Dylan once famously said "what as drag it is to see you."

Sections
Shortcuts