Rajon Rondo tells friend Rudy Gay the Celtics need him; Memphis Grizzlies shopping Gay

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Rajon Rondo tells friend Rudy Gay the Celtics need him; Memphis Grizzlies shopping Gay

Interesting! 

Memphis Grizzlies forward Rudy Gay said it isn't quite as easy to speak to friend Rajon Rondo these days.

That's because the Boston Celtics point guard keeps telling Gay how good he'd look in green.

“It’s hard to talk to (Rondo) because he is always saying, ‘We need you over here. We need you over here,’ ” Gay told Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports. “So it’s not easy talking to him. But he’s being a friend, just telling me about keeping everything together and he makes you feel like you are still valuable.”

Gay, averaging 17.8 points and 5.8 rebounds, has been the subject of many recent trade rumors due in part to Memphis' salary cap situation. The forward's contract, which will pay him $16.4 million this season and a total of $37.1 million over the next two campaigns, makes him trade bait because of its potential implications on Memphis' payroll -- getting rid of him could ease future luxury tax payments.

According to Yahoo!, Gay is already being actively shopped around the NBA, with the Phoenix Suns being the most notable suitor. No trade is imminent, the report says, but the Grizzlies have been "calling teams to gauge interest" in Gay.

Because of Gay's contract, he'll be a difficult player to trade. But the Celtics have already been speculated by Grantland's Zach Lowe as one of the more reasonable landing spots for him. That doesn't make a trade likely -- remember, the Celtics already have Paul Pierce at Gay's position, not to mention Jeff Green, whose contract makes him similarly difficult to deal -- but it might be possible.

You know, assuming Danny Ainge wants to tinker with a roster that's finally starting to show signs of cohesion by adding an overpaid, albeit talented, player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Re: Rajon Rondo tells friend Rudy Gay the Celtics need him; Memphis Grizzlies shopping Gay

I think Bass and Green together about match Gay's contract.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: Rajon Rondo tells friend Rudy Gay the Celtics need him; Memphis Grizzlies shopping Gay

No way I trade Bass and Green for Gay even if the salries do match up because Gay is not the center that the Celtics need much more than another small forward at this point in time whether Rondo wants him or not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Gay is getting paid all-star money, a status he has yet to reach! I say no to a trade for Gay!

Gay, who, believe it or not, has never been an All-Star, signed a five-year deal worth a little more than $82.3 million in the summer of 2010 and is set to earn $16,460,538 this season and $17,888,931 next season and has a player option in 2014-15 for $19,317,325. As good as Gay is, and as valuable as it is to have an athletic 6-foot-9 small forward in the starting lineup, that's a lot of money for anyone without an All-Star appearance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

It's a matter of whether you think he's better than Green at the 3 or not.  I'm not sure he is in certain ways, but he might be a lot more consistant and perhaps fit a better role on this Celtics team going forward.  I don't know, haven't watched much of him at all.  Next year is the last year of his max contract so it would be a year of over pay.  

He might be the guy to take over minutes from Pierce over the next couple of years and be the future starting 3 for less on his next deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to passfirst's comment:

It's a matter of whether you think he's better than Green at the 3 or not.  I'm not sure he is in certain ways, but he might be a lot more consistant and perhaps fit a better role on this Celtics team going forward.  I don't know, haven't watched much of him at all.  Next year is the last year of his max contract so it would be a year of over pay.  

He might be the guy to take over minutes from Pierce over the next couple of years and be the future starting 3 for less on his next deal.

To your point, we know how good Gay is, but we still dont know how good JG can be. I am guessing DA and Doc have given this trade option some thought. It will be interesting to see what direction they decide to go.   

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

and the grizzlers NEED RONDO!!!!  that's right- work a deal where we send bass, rondo, green and assorted other schmaltzes to memphis for MIKE CONLEY and RUDY GAY.  just do it. 

a basic fundamental point guard like conley who is not a liability from deep would do this team wonders

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

and the grizzlers NEED RONDO!!!!  that's right- work a deal where we send bass, rondo, green and assorted other schmaltzes to memphis for MIKE CONLEY and RUDY GAY.  just do it. 

a basic fundamental point guard like conley who is not a liability from deep would do this team wonders

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

Rondo`s the best player in the group and Green  is probably going to be as good as Gay.Your proposed trade sucks.

Sections
Shortcuts