Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none.

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none.:
    [QUOTE]Not that last night's game was a barometer of perfect basketball, but it was noticeable that Mr. Rondo's return to the lineup signified a more efficient and effective offensive flow.  He didn't score a point but dished out 15 helpers and no matter who was on the floor with him, the ball was where it needed to be to make it easier for the scorer.  Among other reasons, this is an example of why Rondo is "the best point guard in the Association, bar none" and the reason why the Celtics have a better than average chance of hanging banner #18 in the Garden in June! As Always,
    Posted by JamLock[/QUOTE]

Well, generally Rondo does make the offensive more efficient and effective but in Game 3 against the Hawks - that wasn't true.  You missed the entire first half, evidently, where he walked the ball up, made no attempts to go to the hole himself, and stood around.  He played horrible defense where he reached for the ball and then game up while his man then reaked havoc on the rest of the team.   He had a triple double but stats told a lie in this case - he played a weak game and he has to do better (and I believe he will).  He will play a much better game, I bet, tonight.

Trade - you have to take a Howard because its easier to find a point guard than to find a rebounding, defense playing Center like Howard.  But, its a tough decision because giving up Rondo is giving up a lot.   But, if you give me Davis (draftee from Kentucky) or Bynum or any good center plus Rondo - I'd take that and NOT take Howard because Howard's half court offense is terrible.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none. : I admire Rondo's BBall myself...   and often ridicule the ROndo haters that gravitate to this board.   But I'm not sure I like him as much as you.   WHat player(s) in the NBA (any position) would you trade Rondo for - straight up?
    Posted by videoburns[/QUOTE]

Lebron James, if you throw in Dwayne Wade, and a couple, and a couple, first round picks.  Danny wouldn't make such a move, would he?  (Humor.)  In all seriousness, I would not trade Rondo for any player in the Association straight up.  He just makes everyone else's job so much easier.

As Always,

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elven 32. Show Elven 32's posts

Gollum is easily in the top 50 players in the NBA.......just not in the top 49!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none. : I have respect for your team and your favorite player, but are you saying that if our bigs would run more because Rajon is going to miss a layup we would get more offensive rebounds?  They should expect him to miss a layup?  And this would make your team unstoppable?  Pretty wild reasons for supporting Rajon as the best point guard bar none.  You said that your offense flowed so well with Rondo back on the court?   I watched the game and there wasn't much flow to it for either team.
    Posted by lakerfaker[/QUOTE]

About missing a layup, don't assume anything.  The difference between good rebounders and great ones is that the latter expects the miss.  If it goes in, fine; if it doesn't, I got it.  The point, if you missed it, is the more offensive rebounds, the easier it is to score and reap the benefits of easier buckets.  Isn't that how the game is supposed to be played?  How did you like the flow in tonight's game?

As Always,

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none. : Not quite sure which game you were watching but game 3 vs the Hawks was not my definition of a more efficient and effective offensive flow. In fact, offensively we looked horrible and stagnant. The ball wasnt moving at all... On several occassions Rondo dribbled down the shot clock and chucked up a prayer. Even in the 4th qtr, Rondo started driving and getting his game together (finally) and then went over board taking so many shots (wild ones at that) and of course his trademark open layup gag.. Look, I love Rondo when he brings it... i can live with his shooting problem, which I think is improving.. but lets keep it real. Rondo didnt bring it in game 3 for over 3 quarters... I dont care about a triple double.. his main function is running the offense and pushing the ball... he did little of either.,
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

The post to which you replied was from 4/27/12 and referenced a game which was in the last few of the regular season where he had 0 points and 15 assists.  I think he took one shot?  I didn't go back and look up the specific game.  In reference to Game 3 of the current playoff, Rondo's return was mixed and the Celtics won!  Coincidentally, I think I heard one of the analysts say that Rondo's game 3 was the first in NBA history to have 4 steals in addition to a triple double.  Isn't it nice for someone to have an off shooting night and get 17 points, 12 assists, 14 rebounds (being one of the smallest people on the court),4 steals, and WIN?  Why wouldn't you care if one of your team's players helped win a game with his triple-double (especially the assists and rebounds) and make NBA history in the process?  And I will reiterate, Rondo is "the best point guard in the Association, bar none."

As Always,

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none. : Well, generally Rondo does make the offensive more efficient and effective but in Game 3 against the Hawks - that wasn't true.  You missed the entire first half, evidently, where he walked the ball up, made no attempts to go to the hole himself, and stood around.  He played horrible defense where he reached for the ball and then game up while his man then reaked havoc on the rest of the team.   He had a triple double but stats told a lie in this case - he played a weak game and he has to do better (and I believe he will).  He will play a much better game, I bet, tonight. Trade - you have to take a Howard because its easier to find a point guard than to find a rebounding, defense playing Center like Howard.  But, its a tough decision because giving up Rondo is giving up a lot.   But, if you give me Davis (draftee from Kentucky) or Bynum or any good center plus Rondo - I'd take that and NOT take Howard because Howard's half court offense is terrible.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

The post to which you replied was from 4/27/12 and referenced a game which was in the last few of the regular season where he had 0 points and 15 assists.  I think he took one shot?  I didn't go back and look up the specific game.  In reference to Game 3 of the current playoff, Rondo's return was mixed and the Celtics won!  Coincidentally, I think I heard one of the analysts say that Rondo's game 3 was the first in NBA history to have 4 steals in addition to a triple double.  Isn't it nice for someone to have an off shooting night and get 17 points, 12 assists, 14 rebounds (being one of the smallest people on the court),4 steals, and WIN?  The point I was making on 4/27 was that even without scoring a point, Rondo controlled the game with the 15 assists and was therefore efficient and effective.  And I will reiterate, Rondo is "the best point guard in the Association, bar none."

As Always,

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]Gollum is easily in the top 50 players in the NBA.......just not in the top 49!
    Posted by Elven 32[/QUOTE]

I started a thread for you the other day after the Lackers game 3 win (I mean loss)!!!!!!!!  Did you reply?

As Always,

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

Another thrilling Celtics victory in Game 4 of its series with Hawks.  Another stellar performance by Rajon Rondo: the best point guard in the Association, bar none!  20 points (8 of 11 from field, 2 of 3 three pointers, 2-5 from line), 16 assists (he was toying with Atlanta out there!), only 3 rebounds (he must have been slacking out there, boo, hiss, the haters will have a field day), 3 steals, and maybe 1 turnover (he must have been on tonight!!).  Did anyone notice the Rondo was hitting most of his outside shots?  Reggie Miller expressed that he was impressed by the follow through on Rondo's outside shot.  He also made a suggestion that he felt sure that RA had discussed with RR.  Shaq was talking about Rondo getting strong consideration for All NBA First Team (take that CPwho?).  Rondo is so obviously the best point guard in the Association, the only remaining question is how many championships he will direct.

As Always,

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none. : Lebron James, if you throw in Dwayne Wade, and a couple, and a couple, first round picks.  Danny wouldn't make such a move, would he?  (Humor.)  In all seriousness, I would not trade Rondo for any player in the Association straight up.  He just makes everyone else's job so much easier. As Always,
    Posted by JamLock[/QUOTE]
    You are either insane or simply don't appreciate MVP type players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none. : You are either insane or simply don't appreciate MVP type players.
    Posted by GEAUX-TIGRES[/QUOTE]

Not entirely sane because I'm posting on this forum with a lot of purportedly Celtics fans who are purportedly sane.  I also watch every single second of every Celtics game and have done so for many years now.  I even rewind a lot to make sure I saw who got the assist if nothing else.  That can't be entirely sane, can it?  And since I record and watch every Celtics game, sometimes twice or even thrice, I have seen them play every team in the Association.  That has to be somewhat sane, doesn't it?  I did say I would trade Rondo for a MVP-like Lebron plus additional consideration to make the trade a little more fair for the Celtics, my favorite team, didn't I?  On second thought, maybe the Celtics would still be getting the sharp stick in the eye; have them add Chrissy Bosh and ask Danny to think about it.

As Always,

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In 10 long final seconds, Rondo goes...

...from utterly brilliant to totally exposed.

...from the best point guard in the Association, bar none... to Barney Fife in sneaks.

...and no one to bail him out.

R9R couldn't even squeeze off a desperation heave.

Pud

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]In 10 long final seconds, Rondo goes... ...from utterly brilliant to totally exposed . ...from the best point guard in the Association, bar none... to Barney Fife in sneaks. ...and no one to bail him out. R9R couldn't even squeeze off a desperation heave. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

yup, hes the only guy to make a mistake ever pud..that last play erases wat hes done his whole career. your an idiot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Chris Paul is better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

As Rondo usually does at end of quarters...dribbles the ball to death...dribble, dribble.. oops, cant go this way... oops cant go that way...  oh look, only 3 secs left on the clock... now I got an excuse for a no pressure, heave that if I make it, im a hero, if I miss...well i had to no choice but to heave it...

I felt when Rondo made that bigtime steal last night... nobody else wass gonna touch the ball. No pressure, had to throw it up.. only this time, he didnt even get a desperation heave

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]As Rondo usually does at end of quarters...dribbles the ball to death...dribble, dribble.. oops, cant go this way... oops cant go that way...  oh look, only 3 secs left on the clock... now I got an excuse for a no pressure, heave that if I make it, im a hero, if I miss...well i had to no choice but to heave it... I felt when Rondo made that bigtime steal last night... nobody else wass gonna touch the ball. No pressure, had to throw it up.. only this time, he didnt even get a desperation heave
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

And we were right on the cusp of R9R taking his 2nd potential buzzer beater... in 6  (six)   l-o-n-g   years... but it was not meant to be.

He fumbled/bumbled the ball instead trying to get rid of it to KG.

No guts... no glory.

Pud

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

I love green hat fanboys.
    I am a huge C's fan, but I'm not a huge fan of Rondo.  Bottom line is, when he doesnt shoot, the team does better...thats a pretty good indication that he's one dimensional.
    Take last nights line for example:
    FGM-A= 6 for 17....ouch 35%
    5 turnovers??
    No free throws attempted?? Not that it hurts because he stinks from the line
    12 assists is nice but, with Ray and Paul on the perimiter, I can get 10 dimes per game.

And the eyeball test is worse.  Rondo takes the ball up the court.....and stands there with his hand in the air calling a play for 15 seconds...dribble....dribble. Waiting for the screen to open up (thats how he gets alot of assists btw).
    I'm just not a big fan
    Paul, Westbrook, Wililams, and Rose are obviously better.
    Some would say Nash is still better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

[QUOTE]In 10 long final seconds, Rondo goes... ...from utterly brilliant to totally exposed . ...from the best point guard in the Association, bar none... to Barney Fife in sneaks. ...and no one to bail him out. R9R couldn't even squeeze off a desperation heave. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]
    awww, looks like rondo has broken pudtz' heart again. or is this glee? hard to tell with such a fine line separating these emotions.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

Bottom line is, when he doesnt shoot, the team does better...

steve, you mean such as sunday nite when rondo had more shots than all but pierce while the Cs drubbed the hawks? your statement appears to be more of a contradiction than a bottom line.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]Bottom line is, when he doesnt shoot, the team does better... steve, you mean such as sunday nite when rondo had more shots than all but pierce while the Cs drubbed the hawks? your statement appears to be more of a contradiction than a bottom line.   
    Posted by BaileyPowe[/QUOTE]

!!! +1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]I love green hat fanboys. I am a huge C's fan, but I'm not a huge fan of Rondo.  Bottom line is, when he doesnt shoot, the team does better...thats a pretty good indication that he's one dimensional. Take last nights line for example: FGM-A= 6 for 17....ouch 35% 5 turnovers?? No free throws attempted?? Not that it hurts because he stinks from the line 12 assists is nice but, with Ray and Paul on the perimiter, I can get 10 dimes per game. And the eyeball test is worse.  Rondo takes the ball up the court.....and stands there with his hand in the air calling a play for 15 seconds...dribble....dribble. Waiting for the screen to open up (thats how he gets alot of assists btw). I'm just not a big fan Paul, Westbrook, Wililams, and Rose are obviously better. Some would say Nash is still better.
    Posted by slicksteve38[/QUOTE]

I have seen many games where his unwillingness to shoot hurts the team far more b/c it affects spacing and keeping teams honest with his jumper. He's slowly improving but obv its notfast enough for the haters who are blind to whatever else he is exceptional at.

I'll agree and point out that it is his turnovers that kill us the most. If he has 0-3 we are in good shape. 4-6, we often lose. Apparently he is a walking 11-13 assist guy now so thats no longer as big an indicator as the TO's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Do you all ignore how poorly he shoots from the FT line, how often he turns the ball over, and how many shots he misses?
    I can agree about his steals...but often he steals from gambling.  Rondo has been guarding Teague for the entire series, meanwhile Teague is playing better and scoring more in the playoffs than the reg season...coincidence?

Bailey you are using ONE game as the basis for your entire argument....ONE GAME....lets look at contradictions for a moment. Look at the drubbing that the C's gave Atlanta on Sunday closely... Rondo only took 11 shots in that game.........11!!! In game one (which they lost by the way) he took 18 shots...last night he took 17.
    Looks like my theory holds true, while your ONE GAME example just flew right back in your face.
    I said when he TAKES alot of shots, they tend to lose....please pay attention son.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none. : I have seen many games where his unwillingness to shoot hurts the team far more b/c it affects spacing and keeping teams honest with his jumper. He's slowly improving but obv its notfast enough for the haters who are blind to whatever else he is exceptional at. I'll agree and point out that it is his turnovers that kill us the most. If he has 0-3 we are in good shape. 4-6, we often lose. Apparently he is a walking 11-13 assist guy now so thats no longer as big an indicator as the TO's.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

I think he had 6 turnovers and 6 steals; essentially a wash.  Typically has a higher than average assist to turnover ratio, not sure of exact stats.  Decent game last night with some obvious errors and made a few mistakes, but the ball is not always going to go in.

As Always,

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

Another monster game in a Celtics win for Rondo (another nickname - "The Complete Package")!!  Seriously, this 26 year old kid can play the game!  His triple-double line of 13 points (6-15 FG, 0-3 on threes), 12 rebounds (team leading, 5 OR), and 17 assists was simply superb.  He also had 4 steals and some bumps (1-2 FT, 7 TO, and the poor FG shooting).  The Package could have had another 10-15 assists if not for teammates missing a lot of open looks, many in the early going.  He stepped up big in the 4th quarter getting assists, knocking down jumpers, getting steals and playing defense.  Of course, Rondo could not have won the game without his colleagues: KG (big-time double-double with 29 & 11), PP (clutch shot late), Ray (+17 & his presence) and good contributions from the bench.  Arguably, Rondo (IMHO he) is "the best point guard in the Association, bar none" and the Celtics are going to hang banner #18 in the Garden rafters in June.  However, what appears to me undisputable is that the most important thing that happened last night is the Celtics won as a team while not quite playing their best.

Another interesting Rondo stat I saw during the game last night.  With his eighth playoff triple-double, he is now tied with the Big O for 5th all-time.  The order, if I remember correctly,  Magic 30, Bird & Kidd 11, Wilt 9, Rondo & Big O 8, Lebron 7.  Nice company for one who may become "the best point guard in the Association, ever."

As Always,

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Big close out by Rondo last night in game 1 vs 6ers...

Both taking and hitting open jumpers (play that was run for him) in crunch time. haven t seen that much that I can recall... have to give him credit, he usually shrinks at the end of games but there was no hesitation and he drilled high pressure, bigtime jumpers when we had to have them..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]Do you all ignore how poorly he shoots from the FT line, how often he turns the ball over, and how many shots he misses? I can agree about his steals...but often he steals from gambling.  Rondo has been guarding Teague for the entire series, meanwhile Teague is playing better and scoring more in the playoffs than the reg season...coincidence? Bailey you are using ONE game as the basis for your entire argument....ONE GAME....lets look at contradictions for a moment. Look at the drubbing that the C's gave Atlanta on Sunday closely... Rondo only took 11 shots in that game.........11!!! In game one (which they lost by the way) he took 18 shots...last night he took 17. Looks like my theory holds true, while your ONE GAME example just flew right back in your face. I said when he TAKES alot of shots, they tend to lose....please pay attention son.
    Posted by slicksteve38[/QUOTE]

do you ignore how well he rebounds for a 6-1 point guard? or how he is the reigning NBA Assists leader? or how much of a shutdown defender he can be? how he leads the team as a floor general and gets everyone involved? or how he leads the NBA in both regular season AND playoff triple doubles?

or does none of that stuff matter bc it hurts your argument.

Sections
Shortcuts