Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none.

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none.:
    [QUOTE]Has there ever been a greater NBA PG with such a seriously flawed game than R9R? I think not. His performance with the game on the line is typically dreadful. The best (bar none) suddenly becomes the worst (bar none)... and then back to the best again.... (bar none)! Quite a trick going from icewater coursing thru R9R's veins...  to warm, slightly sour mother's milk...  back to icewater again... in the blink of an eye... when the game gets serious. We hold our collective breaths when Rondo has the ball with the game on the line... and reach for a defibrillator if/when he dares to shoot. All that was missing last night was the canned laughter  and the caption, "TV's Biggest Bloopers" crawling across the screen on the (wide open) 12 footer in OT that failed to draw iron. Must have been the sudden headwind in the Garden that Rondo failed to allow for. (Kentucky windage so to speak.) For those who claim that FT shooting in the only flaw in R9R's game... good news. He went 4-4 last night. You must be justly proud that Rondo's game is now complete... finally! Now can someone please turn off the canned laughter in the background on that 12 footer? Or show me how to locate the mute button on the remote? Thank you! Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]
    you're trying too hard, pudtz. let the game come to you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Has a little way to go.  There are other late 1st round picks who have excelled at PG.

Some guy named John Stockton was picked # 16 in 1984, and did rather well.

He only led the league in Assists 9 years in a row.  Could shoot a little bit too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

he gets a triple dubb and they win and all Dud and Pud can do is nick pick.  I dont know how they were when they won in 09, because it must have killed them for this team to win.  The Celtics cant win for losing in their eyes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

In Response to Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, bar none.:
    [QUOTE]Rondo shooting 3-16 from the field is not a bad thing. The Rondo that I didn't want was the Rondo that went 2-6 or 3-5 from the field.  Give credit to Rondo for trying. The shots didn't fall tonight. But if he keeps being aggressive on offense, good things happen.  Rondo attempting 10 or more shots a game is a good thing. He may not make a lot of them now, but eventually those shots will fall for Rondo. It's having the confidence to shoot that's more important. 
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Fierce,

Your analysis of Rondo's performance last night is on point.  While he may not have made a lot of shots, his aggressiveness keeps the defenses honest and gives his teammates proper spacing.

As Always,

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]he gets a triple dubb and they win and all Dud and Pud can do is nick pick.  I dont know how they were when they won in 09, because it must have killed them for this team to win.  The Celtics cant win for losing in their eyes.
    Posted by jdm894g[/QUOTE]

+5

what neither of them have ever done is explain WHY they hate Rondo. they nitpick and say he isnt good, which is whatever, but when he has a great game they try to attack him, which is HATE. 

i wonder why they HATE him..maybe they are Louisville fans angry that Rondo stiffed them for Kentucky?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, NOT -

according to ESPN moron-in-chief:

Unfortunately I can't use words on this forum that I'd love to in regards of the above.

AK

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I've always held 4 big gripes on Rondo.

1. Lack of consistency - he'll have a nice stretch, then suddenlythe agressiveness stops, the FG attempts dwindle, his FT attempts dwindle.   This comes from lack of effort and determination. True, most players dont bring it every night, gotta be hard. But Kobe usually gets his FG attempts in, lebron usually makes iut to the FT line a ton... You want the label "Best" in ffront of your name....

2. Shooting - His rep speaks for itself. However, he needs to take those open jumpers like he did against Miami.. Even if they not dropping, hes got to stop hesitating.  Defenses sag in and he wont shoot = offense cant score.. Also hos FT shooting.

3. Defense. I know many see ALD-D nba but i dont get it. I watch Rondo consisntently "allow" his opponent to penetrate so he can attempt a swipe from behind. This causes huge problems for our bigs and rebounders. His difficulty and/or lack of effort fighting thru picks..another problem.   He also sags off his opponent fishing for steals...

4. As someone mentions..Rondo does usually disappear late in games.. and holds the ball too long, like hes trying to make the big play to win it, only he rarely does. 

I list the above because there are several things he is poor at, most players arent perfect. But before we talk about Ronso in glorious terms, improvement in the above would go a long way with me..

In good stretches, hes an amazing offensive playmaker and driver. In love with that part of his game and Id agree he's top 2-3  in NBA there. Maybe from doing that, hes just too exhausted to play tough defense.... but the rest of his game isnt at the same level or consistently good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

karl, regarding 3. Defense - the other night against miami, hubie brown was making a point about the celtics defense during which he stated, "now, we never question rondo's defense..."  why would hubie - who would know - say such a thing about a poor defender? yes, my quotation here is out of context, but i can tell you that within context the gist of what brown was saying was the same - "we don't question rondo's defense."

rondo has been described as an outstanding help defender - helping his teammates, his teammates helping him. could it be that all this opponent penetration and swiping and sagging is not hugely problematic at all, but is in fact precisely the way that rondo and the celtics go about their business of playing high calibre team defense?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

Re: Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, NOT -

In Response to Rajon Rondo: The best point guard in the Association, NOT -:
    [QUOTE]according to ESPN moron-in-chief: http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?position=pg&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fhollinger%2fstatistics%3fposition%3dpg Unfortunately I can't use words on this forum that I'd love to in regards of the above. AK
    Posted by sinus007[/QUOTE]
    saw the following over at celticsblog.com and liked it...

When we get a surprising result from an advanced stat, it should be interesting and possibly true - not obviously wrong.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

BP,
    When we get a surprising result from an advanced stat, it should be interesting and possibly true - not obviously wrong. "
    Yes, I'd give benefit of the doubt to anyone unless he/she is proven fraud/snake oil salesman.

AK

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]karl, regarding 3. Defense - the other night against miami, hubie brown was making a point about the celtics defense during which he stated, "now, we never question rondo's defense..."  why would hubie - who would know - say such a thing about a poor defender? yes, my quotation here is out of context, but i can tell you that within context the gist of what brown was saying was the same - "we don't question rondo's defense." rondo has been described as an outstanding help defender - helping his teammates, his teammates helping him. could it be that all this opponent penetration and swiping and sagging is not hugely problematic at all, but is in fact precisely the way that rondo and the celtics go about their business of playing high calibre team defense?
    Posted by BaileyPowe[/QUOTE]

finally it appears that someone understands the game of basketball. some on this board think all the Celtics do is play a straight up on ball style of defense, when in reality the Celtics d is full of switching, helping, etc. Rondo sometimes plays a zone kind of D in which he is watching multiple players. they all do this, its not just straight up, man to man that they play, and its also not basic switches, bc they do some things at times i wouldnt expect, and i study defense.

the funny thing is, every commentator (including mike and tommy who watch every game) say nothing but "Rondo is an outstanding defender" and Doc, "rondo is disruptive, outstanding on D". yet for some reason some on here think they know more than ALLLL the commentators, ALLLLLL the coaches, ALLLLLL the players..come on. name a handful of Point guards that would request to guard Lebron James at multiple times in games?? ill wait.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

[QUOTE] name a handful of Point guards that would request to guard Lebron James at multiple times in games?? ill wait. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghNF4EjoKRI&feature=relmfu
    Posted by JamezHill24[/QUOTE]
    CRICKETS!!!!!!!!

I don't know why folks think anyone can contain the elite point guards from penetrating or getting caught going under or over a screen and getting burned.  They all have the same issues with each other.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elven 32. Show Elven 32's posts

How'd Gollum work out for ya in the 4th against Toronto?

Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]How'd Gollum work out for ya in the 4th against Toronto?
    Posted by Elven 32[/QUOTE]

Lakers will win tonight - no koME and no Mike Brown!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Theres been plenty of times the past 2 seasons where Doc has complained that penetration from opposing guards was breaking down our defense. 

I guess you can look at it any way you'd like. Not fighting through picks, leaving you man open or consistently getting beat off the dribble is all part of the Celtic defensive plan. I guess when KG or BAss or PP have to switch off to pick up Rondos man, and their guy gets and easy layup off it, well that was all part of the Celtics plan too.

Come on guys, dont complicate matters. Dont look for a needle in a haystack explanation. How many journeyman and new guards have had near-career nights on Rondo?

Also , I dont care what Hubie Brown says..I have two eyes and can see myself. Hubie also backs incredibly bad ref calls ... I uess I should ignore what I eyes see there too..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

saw that coming from miles away, karl, but good answer. i still don't understand why it is that so many nba and associated media types disagree w/ your informed assessment.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

We really need to put this debate to bed -- Rondo IS NOT the best point guard in the NBA.  He's not because he chooses NOT to be.

1 - Rondo is probably the best PG directing his offense (the Celtics offense, not NY's, LA's or anyone else's).
    2 - Rondo is probably the best passing PG (Ricky Rubio and Chris Paul are up there with him).
    3 - Rondo is one of the best at causing disruptions defensively (Chris Paul may be number one in that area, he'll pick your pocket in a split).

I am not going to caveat other facets of his game like rebounding and scoring because those are areas that Rondo is quite efficient doing but ONLY WHEN HE WANTS TO.

To me, either you come out every night and perform that way or you don't.  It's not about whether or not the player WANTS to do that.

Being the best isn't about JUST doing what you excel most at.  Being the best is doing it all, night in and night out-not just in nationally televised games.

The best look forward to the challenge playing against the best but they also look to bury and destroy the average/lesser opponents.  Rondo has not mastered that mentality yet.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]saw that coming from miles away, karl, but good answer. i still don't understand why it is that so many nba and associated media types disagree w/ your informed assessment.

I wonder how many coaches and players, when talking to the press, are ever critical of the skill level of opposing team players? Isn't praise more likely? Just wondering. 
    Seems

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

that's reasonable, seems. i get that. so let's narrow it down to just media types. is that a ruse, as well?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]that's reasonable, seems. i get that. so let's narrow it down to just media types. is that a ruse, as well?

Great question! Ah the media. When evaluating a media point of view one must  consider the possibily of "Home" town bias on the part of the reporter. Add in the hometown bias of "Joe Fan" and you end up with what can be very interesting differences of opinion.  I'm sure that there are media people out there that would offer a very un-biased opinion on this subject. But I wonder if it would be a variety of opinions much like you see on this board?
    Seems

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

It's can be insulting to yourself when your opinion is deferred to what someone in the media has to say. Ryan Leaf was a cant miss with the media and many pro scouts... guess what, they're wrong an awful lot.  People need to stop letting "others" do their thinking for them.

Look at all the FA signings over the years for huge $$$ that fizzle out terribly. Weren't the GM's the supposed experts?? So many opinions to the contrary would be met with "Hey, do you think you know more than Mitch Kupchak?"

I'd rather hear someone say..."Hey Karl, I watched Rondo closely the past several games and he fought through picks and stayed in front of his man consistently".. Then I'd be forece to take yet another look to see if his game has changed and I missed it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]BP, "  When we get a surprising result from an advanced stat, it should be interesting and possibly true - not obviously wrong.  " Yes, I'd give benefit of the doubt to anyone unless he/she is proven fraud/snake oil salesman. AK
    Posted by sinus007[/QUOTE]

Concur

As Always,

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]We really need to put this debate to bed -- Rondo IS NOT the best point guard in the NBA.  He's not because he chooses NOT to be. 1 - Rondo is probably the best PG directing his offense (the Celtics offense, not NY's, LA's or anyone else's). 2 - Rondo is probably the best passing PG (Ricky Rubio and Chris Paul are up there with him). 3 - Rondo is one of the best at causing disruptions defensively (Chris Paul may be number one in that area, he'll pick your pocket in a split). I am not going to caveat other facets of his game like rebounding and scoring because those are areas that Rondo is quite efficient doing but ONLY WHEN HE WANTS TO. To me, either you come out every night and perform that way or you don't.  It's not about whether or not the player WANTS to do that. Being the best isn't about JUST doing what you excel most at.  Being the best is doing it all, night in and night out-not just in nationally televised games. The best look forward to the challenge playing against the best but they also look to bury and destroy the average/lesser opponents.  Rondo has not mastered that mentality yet.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

You are so right about some things.  Chris Paul cannot and has never had and likely never will have 20+ consecutive double-digit assist games.  Using your logic, he's not the best.  Ditto for Dwill and all the other current guards in the Association.  Put them all together and their combined triple-doubles don't equate to one Mr. Rondo this year.  Accordingly, none of them can do it on a consistent basis thus making them inferior to the best.  So in your infinite wisdom, we can "put this debate to bed" because Rajon Rondo is "the best point guard in the Association, bar none."  And since this is largely an opinion board for us to debate our individual viewpoints, I'll give my opinion the same weight as yours!  Once again, Rajon Rondo is "the best point guard in the Association, bar none."

As Always,

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]It's can be insulting to yourself when your opinion is deferred to what someone in the media has to say. Ryan Leaf was a cant miss with the media and many pro scouts... guess what, they're wrong an awful lot.  People need to stop letting "others" do their thinking for them. Look at all the FA signings over the years for huge $$$ that fizzle out terribly. Weren't the GM's the supposed experts?? So many opinions to the contrary would be met with "Hey, do you think you know more than Mitch Kupchak?" I'd rather hear someone say..."Hey Karl, I watched Rondo closely the past several games and he fought through picks and stayed in front of his man consistently".. Then I'd be forece to take yet another look to see if his game has changed and I missed it.  
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

I watched every Celtics game this year as well as the last 10 plus years and I opine as I always do that Rajon Rondo is "the best point guard in the Association, bar none."  Moreover, in viewing all those games personally, it is my opinion that Doc's impression of his defensive prowess is superior to most.  Any questions?

As Always,

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

Another somewhat stellar performance by Mr. Rondo in directing the Celtics to another victory, this time minus the Big Three.  According to many on this forum, Rondo only accomplishes what he does because he has 3 future Hall of Famers to pass to.  Today, he had 20 points on 8 of 17 from the field and 4 of 7 from the free throw line.  Not perfect, but he can score when needed.  He had 16 assists and not one was to KG, PDub, or Ray Ray!  Wow, that must be some kind of myth buster!  The 16 assists continues a streak of double-digit assist games accomplished by only two other point guards in the 50+ year history of the NBA, but Rondo is not even one of the top 25 plus point guards according to some pundits, most notably milk Dud and Pud(dle).  He almost had a quadruple double today if he just could have gotten 4 more rebounds and 2 more turnovers (humor)!  How many point guards get that close?  We can't count KoMe in the turnover department, because he almost averages double-digits in that category (sarcasm).  Regardless, I am still of the opinion that Rondo is "the best point guard in the Association, bar none!"

As Always,

Sections
Shortcuts