Ray Allen - crunch time defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KenDNP. Show KenDNP's posts

Ray Allen - crunch time defense

As much as we all used to love Ray Allen and miss his 3 pt. shooting accuracy and clutchness, one can't help but feel a sigh of relief that he no longer is with our team especially on defense in crunch time situations.

Seeing him abused by Gordon Hayward (who?) in the defining last minute offensive play by the Jazz against the Heat tonight made me smile.

Flashes of abuse which Ray took from almost every player with decent dribbling skills in the last few years are finally laid to rest.

Amen.

P.S. Good times again fellow Boston Celtic fans! :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevekubersky. Show stevekubersky's posts

Re: Ray Allen - crunch time defense

He won't win a one-on-one lock down defensive player of the year, but he was at least a decent team defender the first couple of years with the Celtics. I can definitely see his defensive degregation this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Yeah, he doesn't even try anymore.  Law of conservation for Ray means limiting his energy to the offensive end. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

I hope Doc puts Avery on Allen so he will be totally frustrated. Ray will probably start pouting to Doc that Avery is guarding him to closely. At this stage of their career's I'd take Avery over Allen 10 out of 10 times! See you in 12 days you fraud!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevekubersky. Show stevekubersky's posts

In 2009, yes. But in 2013, Ray is definitely NOT better than Terry.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

In response to stevekubersky's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In 2009, yes. But in 2013, Ray is definitely NOT better than Terry.

[/QUOTE]

That is laugable. Just look at the numbers. Ray is head and shoulders above Terry. And not only on offense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Opposing coaches would go directly to RA as he is a laibiity of defense and back off on Rondo as he was a liability on offense...coupled with the rebounding woes...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

In response to Ortiz123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Opposing coaches would go directly to RA as he is a laibiity of defense and back off on Rondo as he was a liability on offense...coupled with the rebounding woes...

[/QUOTE]

1. With bad ankles Ray played above average defense in the postseason and did a great job rebounding the ball for his position.

2. If the oppnent has a very quick guard --> We have AB and/or Lee

3. Terry is worse than Ray on D   

4. Ray already won a couple of games for Miami, what has Terry done so far?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Gasthoerer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1. With bad ankles Ray played above average defense in the postseason and did a great job rebounding the ball for his position.

[/QUOTE]

Allen would pout if he got the minutes Terry has been getting lately.  He chose to leave.

I don't even really know why anyone cares that much one way or ther other.  He was great. Terry was good.  Now they are both average.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Allen would pout if he got the minutes Terry has been getting lately.  He chose to leave.

I don't even really know why anyone cares that much one way or ther other.  He was great. Terry was good.  Now they are both average.

[/QUOTE]

Terry was a lot better than good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Terry was a lot better than good.

I know. I was trying to throw the other poster a bone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevekubersky. Show stevekubersky's posts

That is laugable. Just look at the numbers. Ray is head and shoulders above Terry. And not only on offense.

Keep laughing. You know very well if you had a choice between Allen and Terry, when a 1 point game is on the line and you're on defence, you will NOT pick Allen. Unless of course you're a heat fan.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

In response to stevekubersky's comment:

Keep laughing. You know very well if you had a choice between Allen and Terry, when a 1 point game is on the line and you're on defence, you will NOT pick Allen. Unless of course you're a heat fan.

No I do not know! Terry is a worse defender than Allen.

Ray is just slow but he is a above average team defender and has above average size. He has problems with quicker opponents (we have AB for this). Against other (taller) guards he is not as bad as people make him, he just doesn't go for highlights (like Rondo for example). Just check the stats of last years postseason, they proof that Ray isn't that bad.

Terry on the other side, was ALWAYS horrible on D and is also getting old. He is not a good team defender, has Bass like moments when he is completely of and is very undersized. Just ask Dirk about Terry's D! Against Terry Dirk looks like a DPOY. Terry was never a starter in his career cause he cannot defend anyone, that is a fact.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I like terry better with this team because:

1) he's comfortable with the role as the primary scorer on the 2nd unit.  The only way ray ever accepted that role was when we kept him on the floor after starting (year 3 I think)

2) terry is good with the ball in his hands and can get his own shot. Ray has become more of a spot up shooter.  He does still work screens well, but that requires a slow down halfcourt offense.  He would have to start here.  he does not fit in with the bench.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevekubersky. Show stevekubersky's posts

No I do not know! Terry is a worse defender than Allen.

Ray is just slow but he is a above average team defender and has above average size. He has problems with quicker opponents (we have AB for this). Against other (taller) guards he is not as bad as people make him, he just doesn't go for highlights (like Rondo for example). Just check the stats of last years postseason, they proof that Ray isn't that bad.

Terry on the other side, was ALWAYS horrible on D and is also getting old. He is not a good team defender, has Bass like moments when he is completely of and is very undersized. Just ask Dirk about Terry's D! Against Terry Dirk looks like a DPOY. Terry was never a starter in his career cause he cannot defend anyone, that is a fact.

Two things I observed during our conversation:

1 - We can argue until we're both blue in the face who is the worst defender, so we'll agree to disagree.

2 - On the bright side, we both agreed on one thing about Ray Allen's awful defence: I also prefer at all times to have Ray Allen on defence when a 1-point game is on the line, and I'm hoping the Heat will take me up on that, but I'm afraid Spoelstra might have learned his lesson last week.

Sections
Shortcuts