Ray Allen wants multi-year deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Ray Allen wants multi-year deal

I got no issue signing a sharp shooter like Ray to a multi-year deal IF: 

- he gets low pay in exchange for stability
    - he agrees to the possibility of coming off the bench as early as this season or next

Otherwise, no go. We didn't clear all this cap space to create a retirement plan for him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

We use all the cap space first

we then have a 5 million MLE and 3m mini-MLE to use before having to resort to offering still productive starters the minimum

The min is an insult to Ray... but really he can't expect more than the full MLE over 2 years and if he really wanted to help the team he'd take the mini MLE (the contract Wilcox got) at 2 years 6 million.

When he was a free agent summer of 2010 he could have gotten 2-3 years 36 million from a few clubs and stayed here for 2/20. Next year he could get the full MLE over 2-3 years from some contender, same as Sheed and McDyessgot 2 years back... but he will hopefully take a pay cut again at 2/6

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from markp99. Show markp99's posts

Looks like Ray had a little BLUE-FLU yesterday.  :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejusox21. Show ejusox21's posts

Sign Ray Ray!!!
    He is our BEST player...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I see Ray as a complementary player to whatever plan the Celtics have after this season.  He should be back, but probably for the MLE as others suggest.  The C's need to parlay their cap space into players that are the future.  Ray, and maybe KG, could be controlled cost role players and glue guys once their contracts are up.  If Shaq can play on a vet min contract for a chance to win it all, anyone can. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Sounds like an answer to an off-hand question, besides, what would anyone expect him to say? Would he say, "No, I'm in a steep decline and I'll be lucky to get a one-year contract"? First that's not true, second, he said want he wanted not what he'd have to have. Ray Allen is one of the classiest men ever in the NBA who doesn't "pop-off", speak in clichés, or broken English. He is thoughtful and when asked a serious question has always given a serious answer, but this was a throwaway that he essentially said, "Sure, who woulld want that?". He's still the most dangerous 3-pt shooter on the team and has played his fair share of defense in a system that will allow for that. Talk of his "decline" is okay as long as it's in the context of this team and its philosophy and not in some run-and-gun offense (and no defense - Knicks and many other teams anyone?). 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In Response to Re: Ray Allen wants multi-year deal:
    RAY ALLEN DESERVES A 2 YEAR DEAL LIKE MAYBE $6M NEXT SEASON AND $3M AFTER... I'D EVEN GIVE RAY ALLEN A NO TRADE CLAUSE IF THERE'S ONE GUY IN THE ENTIRE WORLD OF PROFESIONAL SPORTS WHO YOU CAN TRUST WILL EARN HIS PAYCHECK, IT'S RAY ALLEN....NO OTHER PLAYER COULD BE TRUSTED WITH A NO TRADE CLAUSE  MORE THAN RAY ALLEN. HE DESERVES THIS RESPECT. HE HAS TOTALLY EARNED EVERY PENNY HIS ENTIRE TIME IN BOSTON. RAY ALLEN HAS BEEN FANTASTIC. BOTH ENDS. MAJOR MINUTES. NO BRAINER, BRING BACK RAY ALLEN. THERE'S NO ONE BETTER AT THAT PRICE RANGE.
    Posted by PHX85014

Right on the money.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I see Ray as a complementary player to whatever plan the Celtics have after this season.  He should be back, but probably for the MLE as others suggest.  The C's need to parlay their cap space into players that are the future.  Ray, and maybe KG, could be controlled cost role players and glue guys once their contracts are up.  If Shaq can play on a vet min contract for a chance to win it all, anyone can. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

Yes but Shaq signed when we were expected to be a top 3 team... Unless something drastic happens it appears I think we will just be a 3-6 seed in the playoffs next year with a younger team built around players Rondo's age.

Ray is not a title chaser tho, he has his, I think comfort, family, getting his # in the rafters, loyalty to Doc, etc. are all bigger things to him at this point

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: Ray Allen wants multi-year deal : Yes but Shaq signed when we were expected to be a top 3 team... Unless something drastic happens it appears I think we will just be a 3-6 seed in the playoffs next year with a younger team built around players Rondo's age. Ray is not a title chaser tho, he has his, I think comfort, family, getting his # in the rafters, loyalty to Doc, etc. are all bigger things to him at this point
    Posted by rameakap

All I meant is that guys like Ray and maybe KG to a lesser extent could stick around for less money and help this team as it rebuilds.  It all depends on who Danny can bring in within the salary cap limits -- he'd have to attract some pretty good players to make it worthwhile for those guys to stay for less money.   You're right though, depending on what happens in the offseason this team will moslt likely be younger.  I am not sure if there are any quick fixes via FA unless they catch the right guy at the right time (i.e. some team rents Howard for a year and the C's can actually get in on the bidding as he hits FA). 

Sections
Shortcuts