Ray and the basketball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondosack. Show hondosack's posts

Re: Ray and the basketball

Completely agree. Why in heaven's name wouldn't Delonte be handling the ball in that situation. The last 2 games Doc has been outcoached, plain and simple.  I'm a Doc fan, but Doc, this was avoidable and simply a DUMB move to allow. And we want home court advantage for the playoffs? Well I have some advise: stop sleepwalking through these games with million dollar players, pick up your butts, and start playing some hardnose basketball. I'm tired of these prima-donna's playing like old women. And KG, get your a__, under the basket and start grabbing some rebounds and getting high percentage shots. This perimeter stuff has got to stop. No more whining, just get it done. These last 2 games were shameful, and the C's need to look in the mirror and ask themselves who they want to be. They are deep enough to win a under .500 team, Rondo or not Rondo. Pick it up guys.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

The plan is for RA to get the ball at the end of games because he shoots 90% FT. I understand that part of it. To your point RA and PP are turnover kings when they handle the ball too much. I like them going to the basket with the ball but in the open court they're horrible with the ball.

That was clearly a foul though. Refs swallowed those whistles again on us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Ray and the basketball:
    [QUOTE]The plan is for RA to get the ball at the end of games because he shoots 90% FT. I understand that part of it. To your point RA and PP are turnover kings when they handle the ball too much. I like them going to the basket with the ball but in the open court they're horrible with the ball. That was clearly a foul though. Refs swallowed those whistles again on us.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

I didnt see the play today where Ray didnt get the foul call. Another great ref job Im sure. What I was saying, Ive said before... Ray is a very poor dribbler & passer. He also leaves his feet without knowing where to go with the ball. 

At this point in his career, Ray is a shooter.. plain & simple. He can also drive with a clear path but never in traffic.  

If we're up 1-3 pts in the final 10 secs, naturally youd like Ray catching the inbounds. However, in any situation where we need to run the clock down or handle the ball, Ray should be on the other side of the court. Pierce is slowly falling into this category too, except with Paul, his passes are just careless.

Ray somehow thinks hes a creator.. he really does believe this I feel. Seems too simple to say but someone needs to alert him &  Doc to reality.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Ok, the c's played terrible, but I don't see how anybody can claim that wasn't a foul.  It was an INTENTIONAL foul in fact.

I also thought the block seemed pretty clean.  Anybody believe if kobe has the ball in ray's situation that he doesn't get the whistle?  Anybody believe if that's lebron making that same block that he would get called for the foul? 

I'm not excusing the bad play of the C's and if they play like this in the playoffs its over in 1.  But they sure havent' gotten many calls the last couple of games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

I said it again and again. This team has no closer. Period. No matter who has the ball at the last 10 seconds of the game, 9 of 10 times they won't score or get the foul call. Nobody is the ref's favorite. The only solution to that dilemma is to take the lead before only 10 seconds left in the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayallen1. Show rayallen1's posts

I think some of the posts here are blowing things out of proportion, and making it sound like Ray turns the ball over everytime he dribbles the ball, which is not true, and he actually takes care of the ball very well if you look at his turn-over ratios over the year.

It was a tough loss, and emotions are running high, but lets take a deep breath and look at the big picture.  It's only November, and the season is long, stuff like this is going to happen in a long season, but things ussually balance out; so it much better to get these costly mistakes out of the Celts system now and learn from it so the Celts don't make them in May, when it really counts.

Besides, it was a foul. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]I think some of the posts here are blowing things out of proportion, and making it sound like Ray turns the ball over everytime he dribbles the ball, which is not true, and he actually takes care of the ball very well if you look at his turn-over ratios over the year. It was a tough loss, and emotions are running high, but lets take a deep breath and look at the big picture.  It's only November, and the season is long, stuff like this is going to happen in a long season, but things ussually balance out; so it much better to get these costly mistakes out of the Celts system now and learn from it so the Celts don't make them in May, when it really counts. Besides, it was a foul. 
    Posted by rayallen1[/QUOTE]

You're in denial.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]I think some of the posts here are blowing things out of proportion, and making it sound like Ray turns the ball over everytime he dribbles the ball, which is not true, and he actually takes care of the ball very well if you look at his turn-over ratios over the year. It was a tough loss, and emotions are running high, but lets take a deep breath and look at the big picture.  It's only November, and the season is long, stuff like this is going to happen in a long season, but things ussually balance out; so it much better to get these costly mistakes out of the Celts system now and learn from it so the Celts don't make them in May, when it really counts. Besides, it was a foul. 
    Posted by rayallen1[/QUOTE]

Turnover ratio has little to do with it. If they had a stat that showed every time Ray dribbles near traffic or to the baseline, then your eyeballs would pop out. Rays had this issue for some time now. Watch the next few games and focus on it.

Youll see Ray drive hard to the corner or baseline... as I watch Im sayng to myself "wheres he going?"  Its not like theres an opening or isolation... there bigs down there waiting for him. Then he picks up his dribble and makes a weak pass... watch it over the course of a few games and I think youll see it

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ray and the basketball : Turnover ratio has little to do with it. If they had a stat that showed every time Ray dribbles near traffic or to the baseline, then your eyeballs would pop out. Rays had this issue for some time now. Watch the next few games and focus on it. Youll see Ray drive hard to the corner or baseline... as I watch Im sayng to myself "wheres he going?"  Its not like theres an opening or isolation... there bigs down there waiting for him. Then he picks up his dribble and makes a weak pass... watch it over the course of a few games and I think youll see it
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

He will not see it, he's in denial.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]The plan is for RA to get the ball at the end of games because he shoots 90% FT. I understand that part of it. To your point RA and PP are turnover kings when they handle the ball too much. I like them going to the basket with the ball but in the open court they're horrible with the ball. That was clearly a foul though. Refs swallowed those whistles again on us.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

I do agree that neither Ray or Paul are good at handling the ball.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Paul's pretty good for a 6-7 guy.  Ray just isn't.  But how many times last year (and now this year) have we seen ray getting hit on or dragged down by that off arm in a game ending situation?  I feel bad for the guy, really.  Even rondo would be getting those calls because the refs think he will probably miss at least 1 of 2 in the clutch.  They're very hesitant to put paul or ray on the line because they are likely to make 2.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Ray was handling the ball just fine. He was fouled. IMO, there's no way a defender can tip a ball away cleanly from an offensive player on the dribble when they're behind them and reaching across the body. In order to tip the ball away the defenders arm has to make contact with the dribblers back. It should be an automatic foul. I don't make it a habit to complain about the refs, but the no call in this situation cost the C's a game. It wasn't Ray's fault.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChocoCity. Show ChocoCity's posts

Over the past few years its grown more & more obvious that Celtic fans are way too up and down and unappreciative. If i didnt know any better i would swear this is a Laker blog. I'm not saying its wrong to voice frustration about your team but its not even fifteen games into the season.

The Lakers just lost two games in the row not too long ago. Do you think fans got on bashed the whole team? I suppose it doesnt matter that Rondo (a good rebounder) was out. Perkins is out. and J.O. another big body if nothing else was out. Thats losing alot of boards there.

Stop getting online crying about every loss when this team just made it to the finals when most of you didnt think they could do it. That goes to show that you dont know what your talking about. So do what every normal sports fans does and enjoy the sport. And all of you should enjoy it more because you have a winning team that can actually win the title. So stop with all the crying.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

I think Ray has not been passd the ball that much

more passes for RAe o shoot could turn alot of this let down play around

RA and CPP  are not dribblers

besides all that  2 lemons in a row

3 possible tonite

unless Doc does some line up changing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

[QUOTE]Over the past few years its grown more & more obvious that Celtic fans are way too up and down and unappreciative. If i didnt know any better i would swear this is a Laker blog. I'm not saying its wrong to voice frustration about your team but its not even fifteen games into the season. The Lakers just lost two games in the row not too long ago. Do you think fans got on bashed the whole team? I suppose it doesnt matter that Rondo (a good rebounder) was out. Perkins is out. and J.O. another big body if nothing else was out. Thats losing alot of boards there. Stop getting online crying about every loss when this team just made it to the finals when most of you didnt think they could do it. That goes to show that you dont know what your talking about. So do what every normal sports fans does and enjoy the sport. And all of you should enjoy it more because you have a winning team that can actually win the title. So stop with all the crying.
    Posted by ChocoCity[/QUOTE]

Ok but can we put somebody away. Why is every game a struggle?? Why do we lose games to marginal teams and lose games late in the 4th quarter with a vet bball team??

That's why we get upset. No one expects to go 80-2 but what games like yesterday do is extent minutes for an aging team, run a risk of more injuries and put homecourt in jeopardy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

We're not a blowout team.  We're a team built to gut out close victories.  A grinder.  Don't look for this team to go "showtime" on a lot of nights.

Also, we've played a LOT of games on national tv.  You rarely see blowouts in those, esp in the first of two games.  Not good for ratings.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Ray is the best free throw shooter on the team. He should have the ball with seconds to go and the Celtics have a lead.

My question is why was he trying to dribble so fast, almost out of control. It was Ray's decision making that concerns me more. What happened to passing the ball to another good shooter, or dribbling the ball up the court at more controlled pace?

With that being said, it was not Ray that lost the game, it was a team effort.

This is the Toronto Raptors, worst team in the league. The Celtics decided that they just had to show up. No defense was necessary.

What they found was that the other team got on a roll, gained confidence and played well.

It just goes to show that even the worst team in the league can beat the best if they are not taken seriously.

I hope that a lesson was learned, however, we will have to wait and see.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]Ray is the best free throw shooter on the team. He should have the ball with seconds to go and the Celtics have a lead. My question is why was he trying to dribble so fast, almost out of control. It was Ray's decision making that concerns me more. What happened to passing the ball to another good shooter, or dribbling the ball up the court at more controlled pace? With that being said, it was not Ray that lost the game, it was a team effort. This is the Toronto Raptors, worst team in the league. The Celtics decided that they just had to show up. No defense was necessary. What they found was that the other team got on a roll, gained confidence and played well. It just goes to show that even the worst team in the league can beat the best if they are not taken seriously. I hope that a lesson was learned, however, we will have to wait and see.
    Posted by TeamUmbutu[/QUOTE]

Cant buy into the C's taking the Raptors lightly. I mean, how many times over how many years can you use that excuse? 

and the reason Ray shouldnt have had the ball yesterday was because hes usually a danger to be out of control while dribbling. If there were under 10 secs left in the game, then throw it to Ray and tell him  DONT DRIBBLE!!

Ray is a HOFer and bg part of this team but he simply is a very poor ball handler and passer. Shooting is what Ray does well. Running guys off picks is what Ray does well. Guarding Kobe is what Ray does well. Dribbling, passing and creating is not Rays game. Keep him away from it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Karl,

did you see Ray's ball handling and passing in tonights game vs Atlanta?  

Also, when the Celtics won that critical game against the Lakers in LA in our championship year - do you remember who handled the ball at the end and won the game?

Ray's not a great ball handler, but he's ok and a great foul shooter.  I'd rather have him handle than Paul.   Rondo can't shoot a FT so we can't give him the ball at the end (46% FT shooter!!!!).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

So maybe Doc should play Nate for the last 2 minutes of games

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Karl,

Wow... 

It is rare that some one is proven so wrong immediately after they take such a strong position. Don't let this keep you away from the board.

Wow...

Did you see what the Celtic defense did to a young, quick, serious contender?
    The Hawks were held to 34.6% field goal shooting and 77 points. Wow...

Compare that to the 102 points and the 44.7% field goal shooting that they allowed against Toronto, the worst team in the league.

It just goes to show what the Celtics are capable of doing when they have the right attitude, and don't play on cruise control.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I woudn't get too high on this win.  The hawks have been playing terribly lately.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Cole,

The wow was for the slap up side the head that Karl got last game.

It does show that defensive focus may be tough for the Celtics against lesser teams, and it is not a problem when the Celtics are motivated.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

KG Love.....I think you will see Delonte and Nate in the end of games at times.   They are both better free throw shooters and I believe Doc will be very "situational", using these guys in the 4th quarter when he needs to.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Someone in this chain asked:

Why do the Celtics look up and Down at times?????  Why don't we consistently blow teams out (and the implication is that we may not be championship material if we don't have that consistency)?

Its the NBA.   82 games.  Can you find any team that looks good every game?  Same for all pro sports.  How do the Patriots lose BADLY to the Cleveland Browns and beat teams like the Steelers and the Colts?  How do the Thunder beat the Celtics on the road and lose to lesser teams?  How do the Jazz beat the Thunder, Orlando, Miami on the road but lose to Golden State and Phoenix at home?   How can the Heat beat Orlando by 30 and lose to Indiana by 18 at home?

In basketball, football, golf, etc......the stars look great at times and look horrible at others.  

In pro sports, on any given day or night, some team is hot and another is not as focused or doesn't have energy that night or is cold.  

The key is.....who wins the most over time and in the playoffs?  The Celtics are no different so I don't sweat the small stuff.  I am frustrated when the lose until I quickly remember that everyone does it.  I think they'll win about 55 to 60 games and that will prove they can win most games so why worry about a few losses?

However.....I do admit I can't watch Friday games at the Garden anymore.....seems like we just pick that time to lose!!! Cool 

Sections
Shortcuts