Re: Negative Comments about California/LA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I am in total agreement with many of the negative comments about LA BUT PLEASE DO NOT include all of California.  Born in Portland, Maine & spent 21 years in New England & have family there & return frequently.  In the East, Sports fans are better-not fair weather type-and sea food is definitely superior but have been in the other BAY AREA past 45 years (SF). USMC got me here after college before I went to Nam.  We are  less than 500 miles away from Tinseltown but the 2 cities are very, very different---thank GOD !!!  In fact, I find SF very similar to Boston.  We are called the Bay Area and you guys, Back Bay.  There is a rivalry similar to NY-Boston with SF and LA & I would estimate that the sports bars here in No. Cal. have maybe 90% of fans rooting for us in a game with Boston (Celtics, Sox etc. vs LA teams)so it's as if I were in a bar in New England.   I get almost as much pleasure seeing the Lakers(and Yankees) lose as I do seeing the Celtics(and Red Sox) win. Double my pleasure, double my fun-thank you Spearment gum.   LA has smog,  we don't,  but as Antonio Benedetto, aka Tony Benett, sings, we have fog.  San Francisco, similar to Bean Town, is more romantic, picturesque and historical.   L.A. is more spread out with traffic & urban sprawl at its worst.  We are a great walking town & the hills and cable cars are fun.  The city of San Francisco is 49 square miles while Los Angeles is over 450 square miles. We have a lovely Bay & an awesome seacoast & surrounding places are terrific too, Sausalito, Tiburon, Muir Woods, Wine Country's Napa & Sonoma & 100 miles south, Monterey & Carmel.   Although my wife has family in San Diego(another nice town & Coronado Island has a beach as nice as any on the Cape) and travel there a few time per year, I dread needing to drive through LA (HA!)  Ok, enough already, this is a sports forum & I'm getting to be a travel agent.

So, please when an LA fan/troll gets on your nerves, please don’t come back simply with what would you expect from someone from or who lives in California !

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

San Diego is great - LA......not so much.  Have yet to visit SF or Sac - the suburbs of LA are okay, but I still miss MA - just not in the Winter!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In Response to Re: Negative Comments about California/LA:
    [QUOTE]I am in total agreement with many of the negative comments about LA BUT PLEASE DO NOT include all of California.  Born in Portland, Maine & spent 21 years in New England & have family there & return frequently.  In the East, Sports fans are better-not fair weather type-and sea food is definitely superior but have been in the other BAY AREA past 45 years (SF). USMC got me here after college before I went to Nam.  We are  less than 500 miles away from Tinseltown but the 2 cities are very, very different---thank GOD !!!  In fact, I find SF very similar to Boston.  We are called the Bay Area and you guys, Back Bay.  There is a rivalry similar to NY-Boston with SF and LA & I would estimate that the sports bars here in No. Cal. have maybe 90% of fans rooting for us in a game with Boston (Celtics, Sox etc. vs LA teams)so it's as if I were in a bar in New England.   I get almost as much pleasure seeing the Lakers(and Yankees) lose as I do seeing the Celtics(and Red Sox) win. Double my pleasure, double my fun-thank you Spearment gum.   LA has smog,  we don't,  but as Antonio Benedetto, aka Tony Benett, sings, we have fog.  San Francisco, similar to Bean Town, is more romantic, picturesque and historical.   L.A. is more spread out with traffic & urban sprawl at its worst.  We are a great walking town & the hills and cable cars are fun.  The city of San Francisco is 49 square miles while Los Angeles is over 450 square miles. We have a lovely Bay & an awesome seacoast & surrounding places are terrific too, Sausalito, Tiburon, Muir Woods, Wine Country's Napa & Sonoma & 100 miles south, Monterey & Carmel.   Although my wife has family in San Diego(another nice town & Coronado Island has a beach as nice as any on the Cape) and travel there a few time per year, I dread needing to drive through LA (HA!)  Ok, enough already, this is a sports forum & I'm getting to be a travel agent. So, please when an LA fan/troll gets on your nerves, please don’t come back simply with what would you expect from someone from or who lives in California !
    Posted by mandobello[/QUOTE]
    I started that thread about the trolls. I live in Los Angeles and if you read it, it was not aimed at anyone in California.  It was aimed at the Laker trolls on this board and them alone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Negative Comments about California/LA : I started that thread about the trolls. I live in Los Angeles and if you read it, it was not aimed at anyone in California.  It was aimed at the Laker trolls on this board and them alone.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean you and sorry if you felt I did. I didn't want to respond to the poster who did make the comment but now I will:
    In a response to Fiercest...

Desperation mode.
    Pretty low even for F34.
    I would expect this from a guy who lives in CA.

By the way, speaking of trolls, what does the GK stand for ??? Do you guys remember when we suffered enough 2 years ago with the Game 7 loss, a relentless troll , GreenKiller, was worse than any of these today, I think. The Elf is at least ridiculously comical. But could GK be Greenkiller ???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Negative Comments about California/LA : I didn't mean you and sorry if you felt I did. I didn't want to respond to the poster who did make the comment but now I will: In a response to Fiercest... Mark from Ct   Desperation mode. Pretty low even for F34. I would expect this from a guy who lives in CA. By the way, speaking of trolls, what does the GK stand for ??? Do you guys remember when we suffered enough 2 years ago with the Game 7 loss, a relentless troll , GreenKiller, was worse than any of these today, I think. The Elf is at least ridiculously comical. But could GK be Greenkiller ???

GK IS Greenkiller!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

It always amazes me when people move out here to California and then complain about it and the people who live here.

I mean why did you come here in the first place?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]It always amazes me when people move out here to California and then complain about it and the people who live here. I mean why did you come here in the first place?
    Posted by dirty52[/QUOTE]

For the weather!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Negative Comments about California/LA : For the weather!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

Florida has nice weather also...Tongue Out

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Negative Comments about California/LA : Florida has nice weather also...

Too humid!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

[QUOTE]I am in total agreement with many of the negative comments about LA BUT PLEASE DO NOT include all of California.  Born in Portland, Maine & spent 21 years in New England & have family there & return frequently.  In the East, Sports fans are better-not fair weather type-and sea food is definitely superior but have been in the other BAY AREA past 45 years (SF). USMC got me here after college before I went to Nam.  We are  less than 500 miles away from Tinseltown but the 2 cities are very, very different---thank GOD !!!  In fact, I find SF very similar to Boston.  We are called the Bay Area and you guys, Back Bay.  There is a rivalry similar to NY-Boston with SF and LA & I would estimate that the sports bars here in No. Cal. have maybe 90% of fans rooting for us in a game with Boston (Celtics, Sox etc. vs LA teams)so it's as if I were in a bar in New England.   I get almost as much pleasure seeing the Lakers(and Yankees) lose as I do seeing the Celtics(and Red Sox) win. Double my pleasure, double my fun-thank you Spearment gum.   LA has smog,  we don't,  but as Antonio Benedetto, aka Tony Benett, sings, we have fog.  San Francisco, similar to Bean Town, is more romantic, picturesque and historical.   L.A. is more spread out with traffic & urban sprawl at its worst.  We are a great walking town & the hills and cable cars are fun.  The city of San Francisco is 49 square miles while Los Angeles is over 450 square miles. We have a lovely Bay & an awesome seacoast & surrounding places are terrific too, Sausalito, Tiburon, Muir Woods, Wine Country's Napa & Sonoma & 100 miles south, Monterey & Carmel.   Although my wife has family in San Diego(another nice town & Coronado Island has a beach as nice as any on the Cape) and travel there a few time per year, I dread needing to drive through LA (HA!)  Ok, enough already, this is a sports forum & I'm getting to be a travel agent. So, please when an LA fan/troll gets on your nerves, please don’t come back simply with what would you expect from someone from or who lives in California !

The only sports rivalry between the two cities used to be the Giants and Dodgers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Negative Comments about California/LA : The only sports rivalry between the two cities used to be the Giants and Dodgers.

Wow! I've been here 45 years.One of the biggest rivalries the 49ers had was vs. the Los Angeles Rams.  Don't always get Boston teams on TV here so really love it when they play The Oakland A's, SF Giants, Golden State Warriors etc. as I go to the games or, for sure, watch on local TV.  There is most definitely a rivalry between Northern Cal teams and not only Giants vs Dodgers but Oakland A's vs Angels, Golden State vs. Lakers etc.  and colleges too with USC, UCLA vs. Cal & Stanford. We do not have the same distaste for San Diego teams and at this stage do not hate the Clippers as much as the Lakers.

This rivarly between the Giants & Dodgers as was 49er vs.Rams was ,in fact, almost as  intense as Red Sox vs. Yankees. I have heard the "BEAT LA" chant in our local stadiums.    In fact, when I go to Sports Bars in SF and the Celtics or Red Sox are playing the Lakers or Angels & Dodgers, at least 90% of the fans are rooting for the Boston teams. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Negative Comments about California/LA : Wow! I've been here 45 years.One of the biggest rivalries the 49ers had was vs. the Los Angeles Rams.  Don't always get Boston teams on TV here so really love it when they play The Oakland A's, SF Giants, Golden State Warriors etc. as I go to the games or, for sure, watch on local TV.  There is most definitely a rivalry between Northern Cal teams and not only Giants vs Dodgers but Oakland A's vs Angels, Golden State vs. Lakers etc.  and colleges too with USC, UCLA vs. Cal & Stanford. We do not have the same distaste for San Diego teams and at this stage do not hate the Clippers as much as the Lakers. This rivarly between the Giants & Dodgers as was 49er vs.Rams was ,in fact, almost as  intense as Red Sox vs. Yankees. I have heard the "BEAT LA" chant in our local stadiums.    In fact, when I go to Sports Bars in SF and the Celtics or Red Sox are playing the Lakers or Angels & Dodgers, at least 90% of the fans are rooting for the Boston teams. 

There was a football rivalry in the 80' between the Ram's and Niner's but that died when the Rams moved away as for the Warriors and Lakers rivalry maybe people in the Bay area think there is one , but down here the Warriors are just another team.

Maybe the bars you are going to are patronized by transplanted New Englanders.

Down here there are bars that are know for being a  New England bar or a Green  Bay hangout.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

I love LA and have been here for the past 31 years. The weather, the diversity, you name it, its here. I do not also do not appreciate any negative comments about LA. People also do seem to forget, LA does has a huge Celtic nation!

Sections
Shortcuts