Re up BBD now!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Re up BBD now!

What is Danny waiting for?  IMO Davis is an indispensable part of this team.  I've never seen anyone else willing to take a charge like he does.  I believe he's drawn thirty so far. That's insane!  He gives the C's major hustle and solid production night in and night out, and now it's time for Danny to reward him with a minimum three year extension.  Don't let him go to free agency.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

Re: Re up BBD now!

I agree he is playing very well but don't forget he was inconsistent last year after starting off the year injured because he was fighting with a friend.  Then this summer he complained about now knowing what his role is.  He also rebounds quite poorly for a big.  With that said I agree on the hustle and he has improved a lot putting the ball in the hoop.

I do think he should be resigned but there are obvious reasons why he hasn't been up to this point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

I love the charges. I also love the way he steps into the 20 foot J. I love the way he creates space and muscles in the gimme by getting all puffed up and letting out that ear-piercing yell as he exhales and releases the ball.

His confidence has really grown. Maybe its the contract year... but whatever it is, those skills are massive... and he needs to keep his mass right here in Beantown.

6th man??? CHECK!!!

Most improved player??? CHECK!!!

Give him the CHECK, CHECK, CHECK!

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

No question Big Baby deserved an extension however most of the time when a player is toward the end of his contract he tends to play hard however after getting a good contract he seems to be lazy and avoided hard contact inorder not to be injured I hope Davis will continue his hardwork and contribute to the celtics cause.
    I really love his jumper not his feed away,his hussle but not his force shot,his brute force inside but not his peremeter defense.Indeed he is an excellent 6th man we cannot find a perfect 6th man after all because that might be a starting five already. Lets enjoy his game. Merry x-mas to all!

"Nobody does it better than the Boston Celtics"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

BBD should be resigned as Rondo was last year.  He is that good and a indispensable part of the Celtics team.  It should be done without waiting.  Do you regret they resigned Rondo last year?  It looks pretty good this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Re-sign Baby! He is perfect for the 6th man role!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

If we don't resign him he will get a good contract with someone else.  Makes sense for us to keep our players.  We know what we got with BB.  Don't break the bank but be fair with him. He has turned into a player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

In Response to Re: Re up BBD now!:
    If we don't resign him he will get a good contract with someone else.  Makes sense for us to keep our players.  We know what we got with BB.  Don't break the bank but be fair with him. He has turned into a player.
    Posted by OneOnOne

With all due respect, "fair" is not going to get it done. It's made me kind of sad to watch Davis this year. I agree with all of you. The improvement has been amazing. 

But I think Davis has played too well. I'm almost positive he has played himself out of Boston. This is the NBA. I can pretty much guarantee you some team will go nuts and completely overpay for him. And if Danny's proven anything in his time here, it's that he doesn't overpay for guys. Scal is the only one that comes to mind. And even as useless as he was, the contract wasn't a huge portion of the cap.

Furthermore, is everybody forgetting how contentious the last negotiation was with Davis was two years ago? Davis ended up settling for far less dollars and years than he wanted. I'd be willing to bet he was bitter about that. And I'm sure he hasn't forgotten. Besides, Davis doesn't strike as a hometown discount kind of guy.

I would say there is about a 99.9999% chance Davis is gone after this year. I'm just trying to enjoy watching him while I still can.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I completely disagree.  If the offer is fair BBD will sign.  His progress has come thanks to patience from the Celtics and Doc Rivers coaching.  BBD knows the spotlight will be here for another two years.  Why would he want to leave. If the Celtics insult him with a lousy offer then all bets are off.  If they try to sign him like Rondo last year, it can and will get done. Rondo's nine million per looks awful cheap right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

I agree he is playing very well but don't forget he was inconsistent last year Posted by Icon11

yes, who wouldn't be inconsistent playing with a black hole clanker machine like sheed.  who wouldn't be inconsistent watching a loafer get guaranteed minutes after you've had to kick and scratch for everything you've gotten in the nba?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re up BBD now!:
    What is Danny waiting for?  IMO Davis is an indispensable part of this team.  I've never seen anyone else willing to take a charge like he does.  I believe he's drawn thirty so far. That's insane!  He gives the C's major hustle and solid production night in and night out, and now it's time for Danny to reward him with a minimum three year extension.  Don't let him go to free agency.
    Posted by joel49

The Sox did not re-up V Mart and A Belt.... why?  because they got better players.........  every year there is at least one Glen Davis, the Cs paid him prob $3 million last year for nothing - don't think that is not lost on Danny and ownership.....

As each of the BIG 3s contracts come up they will need as much cap relief as possible and as a result I will be stunned that they re-up Baby.  Go roster by roster and you will find that there are any number of "big baby's" coming up over the coming years that will fill his slot... the key is actually replacing KG, Pierce, and Ray over the coming years and if they do not do that, then what is the sense of overpaying Davis for the next phase of the Celtics?

The Cs have one of two or three ways to go......

One - click on every replacement of the Big Three and then who cares who the bench players are...

Two - stop spending money and start over through the draft - without KG, Pierce, and Allen they are a 20 win team....

Three - get in between somehow - a few years ago Joe Dumars was considered by some the best GM in the league and now he should be fired... why?  because he pissed away too much money on players that are not blue chip players but he somehow thought they would prolong / perpetuate the championship run.....

The likelihood they can replace the Big 3 with worthy replacements is almost not even remotely possible....  IMHO there are only a few players than can replace Ray - (Mayo and a few others), - Pierce (LeBron and maybe a couple of others), and KG (very few - Blake Griffin, McGee, Blatche, very few)........

So what you are left with is Rondo who is a by-product of who he plays with as opposed to whom plays with him and Perkins who is a free agent next year - bye bye Perk......

So why saddle yourself with a player that is drafted every single year and why on earth overpay him?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

yep

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

There are positives and possible negatives to resigning him now. The positives are of course keeping Baby from becoming a free agent this summer. The negatives could be that if the negotions are difficult it may be a distraction to Baby and the team. No easy answer if you ask me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re up BBD now! : The Sox did not re-up V Mart and A Belt.... why?  because they got better players.........  every year there is at least one Glen Davis, the Cs paid him prob $3 million last year for nothing - don't think that is not lost on Danny and ownership..... As each of the BIG 3s contracts come up they will need as much cap relief as possible and as a result I will be stunned that they re-up Baby.  Go roster by roster and you will find that there are any number of "big baby's" coming up over the coming years that will fill his slot... the key is actually replacing KG, Pierce, and Ray over the coming years and if they do not do that, then what is the sense of overpaying Davis for the next phase of the Celtics? The Cs have one of two or three ways to go...... One - click on every replacement of the Big Three and then who cares who the bench players are... Two - stop spending money and start over through the draft - without KG, Pierce, and Allen they are a 20 win team.... Three - get in between somehow - a few years ago Joe Dumars was considered by some the best GM in the league and now he should be fired... why?  because he pissed away too much money on players that are not blue chip players but he somehow thought they would prolong / perpetuate the championship run..... The likelihood they can replace the Big 3 with worthy replacements is almost not even remotely possible....  IMHO there are only a few players than can replace Ray - (Mayo and a few others), - Pierce (LeBron and maybe a couple of others), and KG (very few - Blake Griffin, McGee, Blatche, very few)........ So what you are left with is Rondo who is a by-product of who he plays with as opposed to whom plays with him and Perkins who is a free agent next year - bye bye Perk...... So why saddle yourself with a player that is drafted every single year and why on earth overpay him?
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Agreed.... looking down the road 3 or 4 years, how do we go about replacing the Big Three? Certainly not by signing BBD (to a long term contract) who is going to be a great role player but he is not a future HOFer. He certainly compliments the current core who will soon be gone though.

Don't think we can build a franchise around a weak shooting PG... but who had considerable value.

As the regular season was winding down last year and things looking bleak indeed after playing .500 ball for 50+ games, there was considerable talk of not re-signing PP or RA and biting the bullet and beginning the rebuilding process immediately. It was  going to be painful but.... the sooner or better.

Now PP and RA will be with us for a while longer. KG could be a short term-er although he looks great now but who knows next time he falls/twists that knee if he is toast. 

Can we emulate the Spurs in some way and rebuild on the fly? If so, how?

Pud

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

It's hard to say how much it will take to sign Baby when the financial landscape of the league could change.  So far, signs point to a real possibilty of a lock-out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Re up BBD now! : Agreed.... looking down the road 3 or 4 years, how do we go about replacing the Big Three? Certainly not by signing BBD (to a long term contract) who is going to be a great role player but he is not a future HOFer. He certainly compliments the current core who will soon be gone though. Don't think we can build a franchise around a weak shooting PG... but who had considerable value. As the regular season was winding down last year and things looking bleak indeed after playing .500 ball for 50+ games, there was considerable talk of not re-signing PP or RA and biting the bullet and beginning the rebuilding process immediately. It was  going to be painful but.... the sooner or better. Now PP and RA will be with us for a while longer. KG could be a short term-er although he looks great now but who knows next time he falls/twists that knee if he is toast.  Can we emulate the Spurs in some way and rebuild on the fly? If so, how? Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

You mean just somehow get the best powerforward of his generation with the first overall pick and then get the 2nd and 3rd best players on the roster by picking them (and getting very lucky) from Europe..... If Parker was Ameerican and had played one year in Memphis (college) he would have been the first pick in the draft not the 29th (or whatever he was), if Manu was American and had played one year at Duke he would have been the 2nd pick overall instead of the 43rd (or whatever he was).....   There have been very few Euros that have been drafted very high (Pau, Dirk, and Bargnani) that have been essentially locks.  For the most part GMs have not wasted high picks on foreigners and in the case of the Spurs they got very lucky adding what have become their 2nd and 3rd best players on their roster. 

Further it should not be much of a surprise that the two times Chandler has actually had a point guard has he even gotten close to looking like the player many thought he would be (with NO and now SA).

Also if Blair was not a tweener and not had knee problems in school he would have gone much earlier but he is like baby - he gets the most out of what he has but is not a corner stone of the next phase of the Spurs.

Rondo's value is driven by whom he is fortunate enough to play with - I saw one of the "experts" the other night and when asked how much the Cs will miss him - the response was that there are 4 hall of famers in the starting lineup and they will somehow manage without him.  They are 4 and 1 without him this year - the one loss was by one point, so they are two points away from being perfect without him.

Whenever it finally occurs, the final break up of the BIG 3 will be Danny's opportunity to ride off into the sunset (having won a ring or two and gotten close several other times).  I don't think Danny will be up to the challenge of trying to assemble a team from scratch unless of course he can absolutely maximize / optimize the value of the expiring contracts (like he did with Theo Ratliff and Wally S - he would have gotten neither KG nor Ray without those two contracts). 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The Spurs are healthy and it will or won't last the rest of the season.   It is the same for the Celtics.  If we were to meet in similar states of health in the finals I have no doubt the Celtics would win.  So while my hats off to the Spurs for their savvy drafting over the years they have not found any more lasting fountain of youth at the moment than we have.  They are healthy, let's see if it lasts.  They are also beatable from the Celtics point of view.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

The Spurs are healthy and it will or won't last the rest of the season.   It is the same for the Celtics.  If we were to meet in similar states of health in the finals I have no doubt the Celtics would win.  So while my hats off to the Spurs for their savvy drafting over the years they have not found any more lasting fountain of youth at the moment than we have.  They are healthy, let's see if it lasts.  They are also beatable from the Celtics point of view.
    Posted by concord27

I agree, I think - when healthy - the Cs are the best and deepest team in the league

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

I say offer Big Baby a 3yr deal with an option for a 4th yr

The first yr should start at $5.5M or $6.5M and then he gets raises 

Make the option yr about $8M

I strongly disagree that Baby "got paid $3M last yr for nothing. He played half a season to get in shape and then he was great (AGAIN) in the playoffs. HE earned his salary for the playoff run alone.

Sign him up now, or someone is going to offer him $50M for 4 or 5 yrs and we'll lose him. Just like Rondo - if he had hit the open market he would have gotten $20M more than he got. Offer Big Baby the money now !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

I say offer Big Baby a 3yr deal with an option for a 4th yr The first yr should start at $5.5M or $6.5M and then he gets raises  Make the option yr about $8M I strongly disagree that Baby "got paid $3M last yr for nothing. He played half a season to get in shape and then he was great (AGAIN) in the playoffs. HE earned his salary for the playoff run alone. Sign him up now, or someone is going to offer him $50M for 4 or 5 yrs and we'll lose him. Just like Rondo - if he had hit the open market he would have gotten $20M more than he got. Offer Big Baby the money now !  
    Posted by PHX85014

Now that's what I'm talking about.  Right on the money, PHX.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Re up BBD now! : I agree, I think - when healthy - the Cs are the best and deepest team in the league
    Posted by TheDUDDER

ok, so now we have the spot where the foot is in the mouth and we're still talking through the toes.  davis-level talent STILL being drafted every year, duds?  really?  at WHAT spot in the draft, 2nd round?  that gave us years of cheap service from davis.

NAME ME some of the bigs that have come along in davis' class and since who can replace him for 5 or 6M a year and do the same things- back up 4 and back up 5.

WHEN HEALTHY, the C's have been the best in the league, eh?  OK, so who's the healthiest big man we have?  Who's the sixth man of the year, possibly league wide?  and he's just such a common sight that he's not worth trying to sign?

So that means we go from being the "best" this year to not being worth re-signing the 6th man who helped make us the best for next year, all of the big 3 are here again.  After that, you can dump Davis if need be, but why before then?

I'd say offer him 5m a year x 3 and talk to him about the 1/3 likely pay cut that's coming down the pike and see if he takes it.  5M a year next year is yesterday's 7.4M a year, a fair offer by all means.  It might make sense to Davis and his agent to get him locked up before the chiseling begins...  I'd go to 6M a year even.

And you'd go to no lengths to re-sign this hustle guy who is unprecedented in the league.  The only guy who comes to mind for game changing bench player who is similar is bird man andersen in denver- a different type of spark off the bench, but hustle and grit, no outside shooting ability, no free throw ability and good luck with him guarding a 275 pound center.  And you have to worry about him and the dope problems too.

So just come right out and tell us who the many many guys are who replace Davis and we still are able to contend next year.  Criteria are: similar money, TRUE 4/5 versatility, outside shot, decent foul shot, no history of injury / mental delapidation, and STILL has to have some upside left- Davis is still adding to his game each year if you didn't notice.

Names please.  There are none.  Vyrus Thomas makes 8M a year, Charlie V makes 7+M a year and I wouldn't want either on my team to try to do the things Davis does.  So who is it?  Hakim Warrick?  Matt Carroll?  Antony Toliver?  Brian Cardinal?  Mark Acres?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

I reiterate.  Extend his contract NOW!  But put a clause in his contract forbidding him to shoot fade aways.  Another good game today and coming up big in the 4th qtr, but those fade aways ... yeesh.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

I reiterate.  Extend his contract NOW!  But put a clause in his contract forbidding him to shoot fade aways.  Another good game today and coming up big in the 4th qtr, but those fade aways ... yeesh.
    Posted by joel49

When the game is on the line....... BBD!!!

Pud

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

still waiting for dud to name some names.  i'm all for keeping things fresh.  but i don't see any 6-7 300 pound guys who can gun for range, body up 7+ foot 5's who rely on bulk bulldozering, and bulldoze THEM off their spot, lead the league in charges, double digit scoring, still improving, and CHEAP. 

anyone? 

even after he is signed and if they double his pay, he's still cheap.  2nd round players who pan out = cheap!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Yes, re-up Baby!

Sections
Shortcuts