REGGIE LEWIS, WE HARDLY KNEW YE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

REGGIE LEWIS, WE HARDLY KNEW YE

Very good article.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/07/27/reggie-lewis-we-hardly-knew-ye/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: REGGIE LEWIS, WE HARDLY KNEW YE

I knew Reggie was a good scorer, nice touch, nice jumper... perhaps on his way to be a great scorer... However, guess I didnt appreciate his defensive talent nearly as much.

Had Reggie not passed away, would MJ still say what he did? Hard to say... but I thought Reggie could have been great. Humble and team oriented with a great midrange jumper that he could get off.

Still wondering what would the C's have become if both Bias and Reggie had not had such fates

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

THE DUKE....that is a question for the ages....there is much speculation on Bias...my take on him was developed long before the Celtics drafted him....watching him play for Maryland you could see that he was a man playing a kid's game....he had unbelievable talent....scorer, rebounder, defender, runner....he had it all....has anyone ever really answered the question of whether he was a "regular user" or if this was just an anomaly...? ...perhaps we'll never know....but drafting talent like Bias and Lewis a year apart and having both of them lose their lives certainly was a devastating blow to the franchise..!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Demrat. Show Demrat's posts

http://youtu.be/ni7t4swtdYw

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

I knew Reggie was a good scorer, nice touch, nice jumper... perhaps on his way to be a great scorer... However, guess I didnt appreciate his defensive talent nearly as much.

Had Reggie not passed away, would MJ still say what he did? Hard to say... but I thought Reggie could have been great. Humble and team oriented with a great midrange jumper that he could get off.

Still wondering what would the C's have become if both Bias and Reggie had not had such fates

Nothing that I know of in all of sports history ever approached the bad luck with the deaths of these two number one picks.  One in 1986 and the other 1987, both superior talents.  The Celtics would have been perhaps better than the Bulls in the nineties if they both had lived.   The Gods must have had it in for the Celtics being too good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Whether Reggie passed away or not at the time, his career was over.  He could not have and should not have played again after they discovered the heart problem.  The only thing you can judge him on in terms of basketball greatness is up to the point where they found his heart problem.  It was not bad luck that he died the moment he did, it was bad luck that he was born with the genetic defect to begin with.  (At least, I subscribe to the theory that it was genetic defect and not a cocaine problem.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:

THE DUKE....that is a question for the ages....there is much speculation on Bias...my take on him was developed long before the Celtics drafted him....watching him play for Maryland you could see that he was a man playing a kid's game....he had unbelievable talent....scorer, rebounder, defender, runner....he had it all....has anyone ever really answered the question of whether he was a "regular user" or if this was just an anomaly...? ...perhaps we'll never know....but drafting talent like Bias and Lewis a year apart and having both of them lose their lives certainly was a devastating blow to the franchise..!

You are right.  The Celtics definitely would have had a chance of competing for championships if both of them had lived.  The Celtics probably would have won another championship or two if both had not died. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I'm watching the Remember Reggie documentary and I'm thinking, who does Reggies demeanor remind me of ....

Avery Bradley. Just totally team oriented, mellow, humble, kind of soft spoken.

I don't know what that means, but hopefully AB has that SME quiet superstar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ieatgreen. Show Ieatgreen's posts

Boston fans are going to get smoked!  Honoring Kevin G and Paul "wheel chair" Pierce!  LMAO!!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

Whether Reggie passed away or not at the time, his career was over.  He could not have and should not have played again after they discovered the heart problem.  The only thing you can judge him on in terms of basketball greatness is up to the point where they found his heart problem.  It was not bad luck that he died the moment he did, it was bad luck that he was born with the genetic defect to begin with.  (At least, I subscribe to the theory that it was genetic defect and not a cocaine problem.)

Excellent observation!  

Makes me wonder how Reggie got the ok to keep playing... may have cost him his life.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Excellent observation!  

Makes me wonder how Reggie got the ok to keep playing... may have cost him his life.

He did not get the ok to keep playing.  They had several prominent heart doctors looking at him and they all said he was done and should not play anymore.  Until later it seems after he kept looking for different opinions, one doctor Mudge came forward and gave him the ok.  As it turns out, all but one doctor were correct.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

Excellent observation!  

He did not get the ok to keep playing.  They had several prominent heart doctors looking at him and they all said he was done and should not play anymore.  Until later it seems after he kept looking for different opinions, one doctor Mudge came forward and gave him the ok.  As it turns out, all but one doctor were correct.

Agreed....they (he and his wife) shopped for a doc to let him play...they found one and the results were what they were....plus, the elephant in Lewis' room is his coke use.....given his heart condition his coke use made things much, much worse...even Mudge knew this and said so...

In the end, the Lewis' and Mudge killed Reggie Lewis...the world knows who is to blame...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Mudge got off on charges against him by the Lewis family. 

http://www.theheart.org/article/199839.do

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to nyjetssuc's comment:

Excellent observation!  

Agreed....they (he and his wife) shopped for a doc to let him play...they found one and the results were what they were....plus, the elephant in Lewis' room is his coke use.....given his heart condition his coke use made things much, much worse...even Mudge knew this and said so...

In the end, the Lewis' and Mudge killed Reggie Lewis...the world knows who is to blame...

Agree with you.  As I remember it, Reggie was advised to stop playing by most in the medical field.  Using coke definitely also contributed to his death. 

Sections
Shortcuts