Reggie Lewis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Reggie Lewis

Check out NESN or Youtube for a short video that shows Lewis block Michael Jordan's shot 4 times in the same game!! Lewis, an all star, died at 27 years old as he was entering his prime. As the article states, the Celtics lost 2 franchise players (Lewis and Bias) during a seven year span....how many more championships might the Celtics have won with both guys contributing together?....Bias would've been 28 or 29 years old.....just imagine what might have been.....can anyone name any team is sports that lost two young guys like this in such a short timespan? It's truely mindboggling....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Reggie Lewis

Both would have been in their mid 40's at this point if they had survived.

It breaks my heart.

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Yes.....truly sad...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

First off, you are assuming that Len Bias would have been a stronger faster Michael Jordan. Which is how many people now describe him. Who's to say he wouldn't have been a total bust.

Look at guys like Vince Carter and LeBron. Plenty of skill, but no killer instinct. Maybe he would have been more like them than Bird, Mchale or the Chief.

Who's to say his drug problem wouldn't have ruined his career in a slower less spectacular manner? Like Vin Baker. With all due respect to the dead, he obviously had some maturity issues.

He might not have even been that good. The history of sports (including the NBA) is littered with can't miss number one draft picks that, well, missed. Spectacularly. Michael Jordan, arguably the greatest basketball player ever, was drafted behind Sam Bowie. So we don't really know. 

And let's just assume that he was amazing. That he got his life straight and was one of the 5 best players of all time, if not the best. Then they are probably not in position to draft Lewis anyway. I know he wasn't a high pick. But in that scenario, they probably don't draft Lewis. If I remember correctly, Lewis didn't start getting regular playing time until the Big Three were used up.

Anyway, my point is, sports and life are both full of what if's. I've buried people in my life that I never should have had to bury. I've come to find that wondering what if is a waste of time and emotional energy.

It can be an amusing distraction from time to time. Like what if the Spurs hadn't stolen Tim Duncan from us. Or what if we win the lottery and draft Durant. But we will never know. Life is too short to worry about what could've been. I would rather think about reality. You know? Something I can actually change.  

I don't mean to crap on your post. I know some people enjoy discussing these things. Just throwing my perspective out there.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

No problem man.....I can see your point.....I was just posting on something that I read that brought me back....but take a look at the number of great college players that have entered the NBA with absolutely huge fanfare based on their talents and accomplishments....there are far many more success stories than failures for this type of player....that is just my opinion....also, had Bias lived and been successful, the Celtics may very well have drafted Lewis....as it is he was the 22nd pick...he probably would've lasted until the end of the first round....remember he played in Boston's back yard and he was a local favorite....but it's just our opinions and no problem in differing....after all....these forums are all opinion oriented....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Lewis would have been able to pass the torch to Paul Pierce.  Maybe if he didn''t die so young he would have been able to carry the CELTICS along with Dee Brown, Sherman Douglas, Ed Pickney, Keving Gamble, Brian Shaw and Rick Fox as the Big Three started to phase out.  Im sure we would have won atleast one more in the early 90s to thwart one of the championships in the Bulls first three peat.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrvAlbertsBra. Show MrvAlbertsBra's posts

In a 6 year span, the Nets lost Michael Ray Richardson, Daryl Dawkins and Drazen Petrovic to career ending injuries or tragedy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Reggie Lewis was the man, died way to young.

RIP Reggie Lewis
    RIP Len Bias

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I always liked Lewis. But I don't think he was a franchise player Kevin Gamble was one of the most underrated players ever.

When I was a kid we didn't get all the Celtics games on TV where I lived. If I remember rightly, they were split across two networks. I remember listening to a Celtics game on the radio. Gamble caught on fire and pretty much single handedly won the game for the C's, fresh off a 10 day contract. I had forgotten all about him. I wonder what ever happened to him? He was one of my favorites.

And I don't know about the 90s because Reggie Lewis wasn't really Reggie Lewis until it was too late. I still remember where I was when he died. But I still think that year we lost to the Nets in the Eastern Conference Finals we were the better team. We were a couple of Kenny Anderson free throws away from being  4-0 angainst them in the regular season.

To me, that was the one that got away. We should have beaten the Nets. And the Lakers definitely had us talent wise that year. But people forget that we were 2-0 against them that year. For some reason, we had their number. We just matched up well with them. Call me crazy, but I liked their chances in the Finals that year. I'm not one for excuses. But we were up 2-1 when Toine's knee became an issue. If Walker had been healthy there is no way KMart would have been the factor he was and we probably would have finished the Nets in 6.

But again, sports are full of what ifs. The Red Sox should have won in 03. If Grady Little isn't mentally retarded and uses the hottest bullpen in baseball we finish off the Yanks and face the Marlins that we already swept that year including a 20 something run victory. I liked our chances. The Pats should have at least 5 titles by now. And who knows what could have been had the Bruins not choked against Philly. Montreal was pretty much a free pass to the Finals.

We could do this forever. I'm pretty happy with the Celtics roster right now. If JO has anything left in the tank and we can sign Shaq to rebound and clog up the middle, I like our roster talent wise. If Gasol can shed his soft label I don't see why Jermaine ONeil can't. You can't deny he is one heck of an upgrade over Perk offensively. The thing that dampens my enthusiasim is that I'm not sure these games are decided on the court anymore, if you know what I mean. But that's a discussion for another time. Or not at all. It's been beaten to death. I guess, at this point, you can deal with it or you can walk away.   

Anyway, that was quite the rant. It would have been nice to see what Bias could have done in the pros. But I don't know if they would have been able to build a team around him. Remember, the Celtics weren't exactly known as big spenders under Dave Gavitt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

I remember reading somewhere at the time that that Reggie had lead the lead in block shots for guards in his final year or two.. I was impressed considering that Michael was considered all world & a high flyer..Reggie was becoming money in his offensive game as well and the world was truly his oyster.. Which was more sad? Unfulfilled promise or youth cut down before its time.. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Was Bias known to have a serious drug problem or was it more of an occasional thing, a lark?

Pud

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I was outside working in the yard when my wife told me that she had just heard on t.v that Reggie Lewis had died. All Celtic's fans were concerned about his heart condition that was just diagnosed a few months earlier after he collapsed in a playoff game.
       Reggie was a great offensive and defensive player. He was a modest type player also. I loved his style of play. What a tragedy it was.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

I've never read or heard any reports that Len had a chronic drug problem; it appears that it may have been a first time occurrence in celebration of being drafted to the C'S..It also seems plausible that by being a novice he may not have known when to say enough and tried to keep up with his more experienced buddies..I remember passing by him on several occasions in the student union at Md. (I was a student at the time) and he appeared a picture of health.. However, one never knows what goes on behind closed doors..Michael couldn't stop him in college.. He could very well be dunking on Wilt as we speak..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Reggie Lewis:
    I've never read or heard any reports that Len had a chronic drug problem; it appears that it may have been a first time occurrence in celebration of being drafted to the C'S..It also seems plausible that by being a novice he may not have known when to say enough and tried to keep up with his more experienced buddies..I remember passing by him on several occasions in the student union at Md. (I was a student at the time) and he appeared a picture of health.. However, one never knows what goes on behind closed doors..Michael couldn't stop him in college.. He could very well be dunking on Wilt as we speak..
    Posted by tomobo

ACC basketball is the absolute best. I was tickled to death when my alma mater, Ga Tech, joined.  Certainly brought increased visibility and vitality to the Tech program. Tech was independent for a long time and really suffered thru bad times. I was frankly surprised they were asked to join.

They started off poorly in the ACC but soon got some traction and have fitted in nicely ever since IMHO.

I'll take ACC over professional in terms of pure enjoyment. Folks don't know how fortunate they are to have that level of competition and balance and excitement in a basketball conference.

Pud

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I don't know a lot about the Bias situation. I was just assuming.  Coke isn't exactly known as a gateway drug. It just seems unlikely that someone that wasn't a regular drug user would try coke. It's not like he was caught smoking pot. Cocaine is pretty hardcore stuff. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Nobody will ever know what Len Bias might have been, however, based on the college hype and the fact that he was the 2nd pick in the 1986 draft, and not many #2 picks with his skills and athleticism do not pan out in the NBA.

Also keep in mind, that he would have joined a world championship defending team with veterans like Bird, Mchale and Parish to mentor him. He would likely have served as a 6th man in his rookie season and grown from there.

Lewis would have arrived in 1987 and would have brought additional youth to an aging championship caliber team.

But it's all water over the dam as both these guys made bad decisions in their lives ( I am still a believer that Lewis heart condition was tied to drugs) that cost themselves their lives but Celtic fans more winning teams in the 80's and early 90's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I don't know a lot about the Bias situation. I was just assuming.  Coke isn't exactly known as a gateway drug. It just seems unlikely that someone that wasn't a regular drug user would try coke. It's not like he was caught smoking pot. Cocaine is pretty hardcore stuff. 
    Posted by dafoe

Cocaine was the in drug back in the 80's. There's a very good chance that he was an occassional user. Many people were occassional users back in the 80's. It was very expensive and your average young person had to go in with others to buy a little bit as a once in a while treat type of thing.
        Bias may have just got into some big money after being drafted, got carried away and bought a bunch of coke to snort with his friends. Obviously he was young and didn't know that you can die if you snort a lot of it. My guess for what it's worth.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I do believe that the Celtics would have won at least one more championship if Reggie Lewis and Len Bias hadn't died.  We never really know what type of player Bias might have been, but if his college career is any indication he would have been a great NBA player.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Well, looking back I still can't help but wonder if the Celts would've drifted into the 20 year abyss....Lewis became an all star.....he was a late first round pick....Bias was touted as the next superstar....#2 overall only because Red convinced everyone he was going to select big man Brad Dougherty.....which, of course, he never intended to do....it was all another smokescreen that worked...Philly traded the first pick and Red got Bias....I remember watching a game and afterwards Dick Vitale was asked what would happen if the Celtics were able to get Bias.....He laughed, shook his head and said....."just wrap up the championship and give it to the Celtics baby....no doubt about it"......I remember that moment....I remember watching the draft....and I remember the call from a friend telling me that Lenny was gone.....worst sports day of my life...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAkeravenger. Show LAkeravenger's posts

You lost both players in retribution for Boston fans and team being such so nasty, irritating and arrogant. Indeed, the Celtics got what they deserved.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toineson. Show toineson's posts

I always liked Lewis. But I don't think he was a franchise player Kevin Gamble was one of the most underrated players ever. When I was a kid we didn't get all the Celtics games on TV where I lived. If I remember rightly, they were split across two networks. I remember listening to a Celtics game on the radio. Gamble caught on fire and pretty much single handedly won the game for the C's, fresh off a 10 day contract. I had forgotten all about him. I wonder what ever happened to him? He was one of my favorites. And I don't know about the 90s because Reggie Lewis wasn't really Reggie Lewis until it was too late. I still remember where I was when he died. But I still think that year we lost to the Nets in the Eastern Conference Finals we were the better team. We were a couple of Kenny Anderson free throws away from being  4-0 angainst them in the regular season. To me, that was the one that got away. We should have beaten the Nets. And the Lakers definitely had us talent wise that year. But people forget that we were 2-0 against them that year. For some reason, we had their number. We just matched up well with them. Call me crazy, but I liked their chances in the Finals that year. I'm not one for excuses. But we were up 2-1 when Toine's knee became an issue. If Walker had been healthy there is no way KMart would have been the factor he was and we probably would have finished the Nets in 6. But again, sports are full of what ifs. The Red Sox should have won in 03. If Grady Little isn't mentally retarded and uses the hottest bullpen in baseball we finish off the Yanks and face the Marlins that we already swept that year including a 20 something run victory. I liked our chances. The Pats should have at least 5 titles by now. And who knows what could have been had the Bruins not choked against Philly. Montreal was pretty much a free pass to the Finals. We could do this forever. I'm pretty happy with the Celtics roster right now. If JO has anything left in the tank and we can sign Shaq to rebound and clog up the middle, I like our roster talent wise. If Gasol can shed his soft label I don't see why Jermaine ONeil can't. You can't deny he is one heck of an upgrade over Perk offensively. The thing that dampens my enthusiasim is that I'm not sure these games are decided on the court anymore, if you know what I mean. But that's a discussion for another time. Or not at all. It's been beaten to death. I guess, at this point, you can deal with it or you can walk away.    Anyway, that was quite the rant. It would have been nice to see what Bias could have done in the pros. But I don't know if they would have been able to build a team around him. Remember, the Celtics weren't exactly known as big spenders under Dave Gavitt.
    Posted by dafoe

I've thought about that 02 Celtics team as well, but let's remember that Walker is not why we lost.  Toine is the guy who kept us in it.  If we are to assign blame, then it has to be on Pierce.  Before the series, his declaration of "no one on that team can stop me" seemed to mess with his own head.  Basically we needed to win both games 3 and 4 at home to win the series (unlikely the Nets would have rallied from a 1-3 deficit).... Game 3 Toine was the only one providing ANY offense through the first 3 quarters, and it took Toine to sort of shake Pierce out of his funk for the Celtics to pull off the greatest 4th quarter comeback in playoff history (also, in game 2 Pierce was an abysmal 3 for 20).... In game 4 Toine was 10 of 17 from the floor with 30 points (3 of 7 from threes and 7 of 9 from the line), 9 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 turnovers... Yes, Pierce had 31 but couldn't match Toine's efficiency.... 10 of 21 from floor, 1 of 4 from threes, SIX turnovers... and 10 of 15 from the line, including the big misses in the closing seconds when we were down 2.  Game 4 was basically a must win, our chance to seal it, when we needed Pierce to put up 40, and he wasn't able to come through.  Now, that's not to knock Pierce persay, but it's to remind folks that it is by no means fair to point the finger at Antoine.  Remember, yes we were 2-0 against the Lakers that year, but who was it that had the MOXIE to put up a triple double AT Los Angeles during that season??  Toine, with 30 points, 14 rebounds and 10 assists (just 3 turnovers).  Pierce meanwhile had 33 points, but only on 36% shooting, and with just 2 assists and 5 turnovers.  And Toine with the clutch, memorable game winning 3!!  Pierce got most of the acclaim, but Toine was the heart and soul of that team.  Unfortunately most don't remember it that way, but to atone let's give the Brian Scalabrine roster spot to Antoine. 

Sections
Shortcuts