Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

Re: Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk

In Response to Re: Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk:
    [QUOTE]No, please stop acting like this team revolves around the C position. It revolves around the Big 4 and everyone else gets in where they can fit in. Come playoff time Shaq is going to pay bigger dividends than Perk. Mark my words!
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

Yes, offensively they revolve and live or die by the Big 4.  Defensively, Perk was a catalyst in the paint, and there's no way anyone can deny that. 

Shaq may be our only saving grace, but I'm not about to put my money on a guy that has hip, knee, and achilles problems running rampid this season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

[QUOTE]It was reported on CSN that the vets aren't happy but I'm sure they will get over it fairly quickly. I'm stunned how all the guys on NBATV think the big winner of the day is OKC!!! LOL! Wow, did we trade any of the Big 4? NO! We traded the guy who gets the most techs, sets the most illegal screens and has no hands.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]  you make me sick, you think you understand basketball and you may, but your tongue would destroy and team you played on, easy to defeat negative people, if I was you I would let up on Perk it makes you look dirty.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah but you won't hear "man, PP is dragging and he's 3-14 and why is LeBron averaging 40 points on the C's?" Krstic can get us the 8-10 points and 8 rebs Perk was getting us. We didn't lose Shaq and KG. If anything this let's Shaq know that he's the man again.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

agree on Pierce

Kristic will not be anything like Perk. so forget that.

He will play 20 mins per the rest of the reg season and give us 6-3

Shaq needs to come back asap and play 12-16 reg season mins getting us 9-5 and then up his game by the 2nd rd of the playoffs to 22-26 mins and a 14-8 if we are to win a title.

48 mins of Shaq, Kristic and Baby at Center should net us a 20-10.

Therefore 48 mins of KG and Baby at PF better be getting us a 26-14

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Ok before everyone kills Ainge now. So you don't end up looking like morons let's allow this to play out the next two weeks. You don't want to end up coming back to the board and kissing Ainge's feet for getting X Y and Z.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]The reason we had a great defense without Perk was because of who we played and how they were all playing at the beginning of the season  as well as having Shaq.  What's changed:   a.  The Heat are playing better than they were then, the Bulls are playing better than they were then, the Magic are better than they were at the beginning of the season and the Lakers are playing better than they were in mid-season.   b. Shaq was in the lineup consistently.  So, Perk didn't matter much.  I wouldn't be as worried if Shaq's history of injury in the last 4 seasons wasn't so consistent - MISSES A LOT OF GAMES AND IS HURT A LOT.  So, we had JON and Semih, too, right.  NO - gone and can't be counted on. So, look at the spread between our record and Miami's at the end of the 1st third of the season vs now.  Notice a difference? With Perk gone, we darn sure better have a healthy Shaq and we better have a better offense, because our D won't be as good.  Don't even talk about rebounding - we were getting KILLED on the boards before Perk came back and we're going back to that now.  Can we still win - absolutely.  But, don't think, my friends, that its going to be easier because you can't promise me that Shaq will even play a lot of games or be there for us in the playoffs! PS.  I like the trades.  I'm not arguing against them, just arguing against this sentiment that "its going to be ok - look at how well we did without Perk in the beginning of the season"!
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Best Post since the trade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Thanks, OneOnOne.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Defense is about rotating properly. Perk did it better than just about any center in the game. Not to mention. He Guards Gasol alot better than KG does because he can muscle him out of the paint. So if we do face the Lakers, I see problems. I also see problems with Chicago with Boozer and Noah. Danny is betting Shaq can stay healthy or JON get's healthy. I'm not real comfortable either is going to happen.

Finally their is the whole team chemistry thing. For whatever reason, the vets thought Perk was an integral piece in what they did. Now they have new guys who need to learn our defensive rotations in a short amount of time. Of the centers we have it seems only Shaq is capable of being an enforcer -- when he is on the court. And while Perk was called for a lot of moving screens, he also set some the hardest screens in the game. Made players think twice about chasing too hard after Ray Ray. Not sure the news guys add that dimension. 

We gained some things too. Better offense probably. Maybe even better rebounding with Troy Murphy (assuming we get him) but I am scared. I sincerely hope Danny is a genius and I'm dead wrong. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk : On the topic of rebounding, when you shoot 50%, hold teams to 40% and race back on defense as part of the Tom Tibbs defense scheme you tend to not have as many chances at rebounds as your opponants do. Danny is rolling the dice for sure. Let us cross our fingers we face Chicago over Orlando round 2, I assume we get the 2 seed and chicago the 3. (actually lets hope we get the 1 seed and the Knicks or Hawks beat the Magic) and of course Shaq has to be healthy. Key to the season now. Can we beat Orlando w/o Shaq? Yes... b/c Green will give Turk and Anderson way more issues than someone like Marquis or Anthony Parker would have and Baby plays Howard great. Can we beat Miami or LA w/o Shaq? Probably not.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Rameakap,

your first paragraph explains why offensive rebounding is not our strength.  The issue is DEFENSIVE rebounding.  You're not trying to rush back down court when you're on the defensive rebounding end and the other team is OFFENSIVE rebounding.  That's the issue.   Perk was never important in offensive rebounding and I don't care about that.  Its keeping the OTHER team off their offensive boards that's an issue.

Yes, Danny is taking a risk, but I'm guessing that he is banking on the other 5 + Green + Shaq to carry us through.  Also, let's not forget Danny knows Shaq's health and JON's surgery results while the rest of us don't.  He may know that they'll be ok while we all think they'll be injured all season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Defense is about rotating properly. Perk did it better than just about any center in the game. Not to mention. He Guards Gasol alot better than KG does because he can muscle him out of the paint. So if we do face the Lakers, I see problems. I also see problems with Chicago with Boozer and Noah. Danny is betting Shaq can stay healthy or JON get's healthy. I'm not real comfortable either is going to happen. Finally their is the whole team chemistry thing. For whatever reason, the vets thought Perk was an integral piece in what they did. Now they have new guys who need to learn our defensive rotations in a short amount of time. Of the centers we have it seems only Shaq is capable of being an enforcer -- when he is on the court. And while Perk was called for a lot of moving screens, he also set some the hardest screens in the game. Made players think twice about chasing too hard after Ray Ray. Not sure the news guys add that dimension.  We gained some things too. Better offense probably. Maybe even better rebounding with Troy Murphy (assuming we get him) but I am scared. I sincerely hope Danny is a genius and I'm dead wrong. 
    Posted by jtkl[/QUOTE]

I am fine with KG on Noah and Green/Baby splitting time on Boozer with Pierce/Green splitting time on Deng. Then PP has more time to tear apart Brewer/Korver at the 2.

Chemistry is an issue but they better get over it quick like the Pats did when milloy was cut.

This team is veteran laden w/ guys gunning for a last title.. so I'm sure they will. I'd worry the most about Rondo... he is young and was Perk's best friend. but in '03 Brady was the same age as Rondo is (25), milloy's best friend, and got over it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks, OneOnOne.

YW- Keep up the good posts.  I will let you know when your straying. LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk : Rameakap, your first paragraph explains why offensive rebounding is not our strength.  The issue is DEFENSIVE rebounding.  You're not trying to rush back down court when you're on the defensive rebounding end and the other team is OFFENSIVE rebounding.  That's the issue.   Perk was never important in offensive rebounding and I don't care about that.  Its keeping the OTHER team off their offensive boards that's an issue. Yes, Danny is taking a risk, but I'm guessing that he is banking on the other 5 + Green + Shaq to carry us through.  Also, let's not forget Danny knows Shaq's health and JON's surgery results while the rest of us don't.  He may know that they'll be ok while we all think they'll be injured all season.

That is true... it was frustrating to watch other teams grab boards after we made a stop.

Hopefully some of it is made up for by the 6'9" Green essentially replacing the 6'6" 'Quis mins @ SF AND letting Pierce be more rested to battle for boards. Paul has had numerous playoff double doubles but it would have been harder doing so without any rest.

and of course, Shaq HAS to be healthy... I firmly believe from what I saw earlier this season that he can get up just as high as Perk even at 39 (3" taller) and his girth makes his box outs that much more effective.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk :   you make me sick, you think you understand basketball and you may, but your tongue would destroy and team you played on, easy to defeat negative people, if I was you I would let up on Perk it makes you look dirty.
    Posted by maryngary[/QUOTE]

Put the kleenex away, we'll be alright. If you want to see Perk play that bad order League Pass. Geesh! Do we need a moment of silence!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk :   you make me sick, you think you understand basketball and you may, but your tongue would destroy and team you played on, easy to defeat negative people, if I was you I would let up on Perk it makes you look dirty.
    Posted by maryngary[/QUOTE]

Bias I think you just got punked.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Relax people! I asking some of you to slowdown because Ainge created 3 roster spots. They aren't going to be vacant for much longer. It's an unfinished team.

The Heat, Bulls, Lakers or Dallas created roster spots. So the strong are looking to get stronger. I'm glad Ainge created the space with backups instead of having to waive someone to create a spot for someone later.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk : Krstic is a lot tougher than you would lead people to believe, oh and yes he can actually contribute at the offensive end - but only in the Perk corner could that be considered a bad thing. Howard's offensive game has improved tremendously over the last couple of years and please go back and check the last time the Cs played Orlando - Perk was embarrassed off the floor by Howard.  Perk can no longer handled Howard one on one. Perk's defense may be missed somewhat but imagine a possession where it goes into the post and does not result in a missed layup, a turnover, bad handling of a pass, 3 second violation, missed free throws, etc. They scored 79 points in game 7 of the finals - is defense the problem?  Nope.  They have a point guard that nobody guards and cannot score and a center that is the same.  The center is gone and is being replaced by a much better offensive center and oh by the way they went the first half of the season with a much better center and a much better offense and still resulted in the second best defense in the league.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

kRSTIC`S TOUGH WITH A CHAIR IN HIS HAND.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Yikes, can't we all just get along.

The truth is, and it's a true truth, is that we have a new team now.   The old team just got blown up to a large extant.

The good thing is that we're dealing with professionals.

Let's assume that these pros will learn to become a cohesive unit relatively quickly.

The team dynamics have changed dramatically.  What I know to be true is that Doc and his main core of veterans will raise up the play of all the new guys who are just coming aboard. 

And Danny, no-fool Danny, knows what he's doing and picked intelligent guys able to rise to the occasion and learn to play the Celtic's style of basketball. The vets will help the new guys elevate their level of play and we will be better come playoff time.

That's how it's supposed to work.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

I'm just shocked as the West got weaker again.

Green is a fine player. I don't get The Thunder at all.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Yikes, can't we all just get along. The truth is, and it's a true truth, is that we have a new team now.   The old team just got blown up to a large extant. The good thing is that we're dealing with professionals. Let's assume that these pros will learn to become a cohesive unit relatively quickly. The team dynamics have changed dramatically.  What I know to be true is that Doc and his main core of veterans will raise up the play of all the new guys who are just coming aboard.  And Danny, no-fool Danny, knows what he's doing and picked intelligent guys able to rise to the occasion and learn to play the Celtic's style of basketball. The vets will help the new guys elevate their level of play and we will be better come playoff time. That's how it's supposed to work.
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

Spot on Rajon

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]I'm just shocked as the West got weaker again. Green is a fine player. I don't get The Thunder at all.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

I take it you think the C's got the best of the trade?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakerman17. Show Lakerman17's posts

Green is a fine player. I don't get The Thunder at all.- RUWorthy

Are you kidding??? Honestly, are you from Mars?

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/fran_blinebury/02/24/thunder-future/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]I'm just shocked as the West got weaker again. Green is a fine player. I don't get The Thunder at all.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

you really would prefer less Ibaka and more Green (playing out of position @ PF) with Krstic on Bynum then the current Ibaka/Perk muscle up front???

Westbrook and Durant can drop 60 with the same ease Kobe and Pau drop 50. They needed interior D and Perk's 9-9, not 20 foot jumpers, slashing and a 15-5 from Green who got tooled on by other teams PF's. Nate is also an upgrade for them as a 10th man, can guard PG's and play alongside Westbrook and Maynor who guard 2's.

OKC def got better

Celts got better as well if and only if Shaq is healthy enough to give consistant 22-26 min 13-8 games come May.

win-win

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk : you really would prefer less Ibaka and more Green (playing out of position @ PF) with Krstic on Bynum then the current Ibaka/Perk muscle up front??? Westbrook and Durant can drop 50 with the same ease Kobe drops 25. They needed interior D and Perk's 9-9, not 20 foot jumpers, slashing and a 15-5 from Green who got tooled on by other teams PF's. Nate is also an upgrade for them as a 10th man and can guard PG's and play alongside Westbrook and Maynor who guard 2's. OKC got better Celts got better as well if and only if Shaq is healthy enough to give consistant 22-26 min 13-8 games come May. win-win
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

I think overall it will be a win win for both teams also. Perk give them toughness which they need, and Green gives us a good young role player. Kristic will do fine. And a #1

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Worthy, fun scenario for you, taking it back to the Lakers rivalry in the 80's...

Say the Celts team in '86 lost Wedman ('Quis) and had NOBODY behind Ainge/Bird (Ray/Pierce).

So they trade Parish (Perk) for a talented young wing just 3-4 years into the league, lets say Jeff Malone or Dale Ellis (Green) and hope that McHale (KG) can play more 5 and Walton (Shaq) can stay healthy and play 24 mins instead of 14.

So... do you trade Parish in '86 for a younger scoring wing who you feel can average 20ppg for the next 5 years nad keep Bird/McHale rested? What if the Chief had also just turned down a fair contract extension offer and was coming back from major knee surgery? What if you planned on summer of 1987 making a huge run at free agent Hakeem or Ewing (Howard) and needed both the cap space and another young star to entice the FA C to sign?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk : I think overall it will be a win win for both teams also. Perk give them toughness which they need, and Green gives us a good young role player. Kristic will do fine. And a #1
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

Yes, in all - its a balanced trade.  You have to give up something valuable to get something valuable (quote from ChiefEddie, I think).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

Our bigs are Kristic and injured Shaq and JO ... great trade! ... for OKC that is... steal of the century! All OKC was missing was a center to combat the size of LA they received 2 big men... good for them hope they take the Lakers out

Sections
Shortcuts