Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk

This had more to do with finding a backup SF to guard LeBron, Deng, Kobe in the playoffs. The C's only have to worry about one big in the playoffs and that's Howard. They had to find a defensive big SF to cover all the wings they may face. I totally get it. I don't think Ainge is done.

We have more offense and were still a great defense when Perk was out. We needed Perk for game #7 but this is a different year. We didn't have Shaq either for game 7 and now we do.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Re: Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk

I wouldn't think they would be. I hope they don't have a let down tonight!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

In Response to Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk:
    This had more to do with finding a backup SF to guard LeBron, Deng, Kobe in the playoffs. The C's only have to worry about one big in the playoffs and that's Howard. They had to find a defensive big SF to cover all the wings they may face. I totally get it. I don't think Ainge is done. We have more offense and were still a great defense when Perk was out. We needed Perk for game #7 but this is a different year. We didn't have Shaq either for game 7 and now we do.
    Posted by BiasLewis

Shaq`s a sure thing. He`s never hurt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk:
    This had more to do with finding a backup SF to guard LeBron, Deng, Kobe in the playoffs. The C's only have to worry about one big in the playoffs and that's Howard. They had to find a defensive big SF to cover all the wings they may face. I totally get it. I don't think Ainge is done. We have more offense and were still a great defense when Perk was out. We needed Perk for game #7 but this is a different year. We didn't have Shaq either for game 7 and now we do.
    Posted by BiasLewis

Can you supply the link about the vets not being happy?  I know they develop a bond and they don't like to see people go.  Just wondering were you got your information.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

DA put himself on the line with this trade.
    If it works, he's a genius.  If it doesn't, guess who everyone's gonna be pointing their finger at.
    Right now, it's 2 to 1 against him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I heard the vets were all over twitter!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

It was reported on CSN that the vets aren't happy but I'm sure they will get over it fairly quickly.

I'm stunned how all the guys on NBATV think the big winner of the day is OKC!!! LOL!

Wow, did we trade any of the Big 4? NO! We traded the guy who gets the most techs, sets the most illegal screens and has no hands.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk:
    It was reported on CSN that the vets aren't happy but I'm sure they will get over it fairly quickly. I'm stunned how all the guys on NBATV think the big winner of the day is OKC!!! LOL! Wow, did we trade any of the Big 4? NO! We traded the guy who gets the most techs, sets the most illegal screens and has no hands.
    Posted by BiasLewis

And plays the best interior defense

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

It was reported on CSN that the vets aren't happy but I'm sure they will get over it fairly quickly. I'm stunned how all the guys on NBATV think the big winner of the day is OKC!!! LOL! Wow, did we trade any of the Big 4? NO! We traded the guy who gets the most techs, sets the most illegal screens and has no hands.
    Posted by BiasLewis

I can already hear the posters around here a month after Perk is gone.  "Kristic can't play defense, why did we trade Perk. that Ainge is dumb."   Then some will already be suggesting trades for next year to pick up a defensive minded center.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Yeah but you won't hear "man, PP is dragging and he's 3-14 and why is LeBron averaging 40 points on the C's?"

Krstic can get us the 8-10 points and 8 rebs Perk was getting us. We didn't lose Shaq and KG. If anything this let's Shaq know that he's the man again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Aslanb0ynn. Show Aslanb0ynn's posts

Yeah but you won't hear "man, PP is dragging and he's 3-14 and why is LeBron averaging 40 points on the C's?" Krstic can get us the 8-10 points and 8 rebs Perk was getting us. We didn't lose Shaq and KG. If anything this let's Shaq know that he's the man again.
    Posted by BiasLewis

And so now you are saying is that the Celts is relying on Shaq to win it all...  Is that a bet you guys are willing to take...?  REALLY???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

No, please stop acting like this team revolves around the C position. It revolves around the Big 4 and everyone else gets in where they can fit in. Come playoff time Shaq is going to pay bigger dividends than Perk. Mark my words!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

No, please stop acting like this team revolves around the C position. It revolves around the Big 4 and everyone else gets in where they can fit in. Come playoff time Shaq is going to pay bigger dividends than Perk. Mark my words!
    Posted by BiasLewis

Offensively yes, defensively no.  Did Perkins crap on your sandwich or what?  He has been a big part of the team the last few years.  I am sure Shaq will pay bigger dividends than Perk since Perk doesn't play for us any more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk : Offensively yes, defensively no.  Did Perkins crap on your sandwich or what?  He has been a big part of the team the last few years.  I am sure Shaq will pay bigger dividends than Perk since Perk doesn't play for us any more.
    Posted by OneOnOne

Um.... they played the whole first half of the season without Perk and had the second best defense in the league and their offense was much better than in the past and Rondo's assists actually went up because Shaq can actually score.

People get so hung up on the defensive end and how important it is to have a post defender, etc. but they cannot remember that the Lakers played clamp down defense and the Cs scored a whopping 79 points in the last game.

Posters / bloggers / fans love to wax poetic how the Cs don't need Rondo and Perk to score as long as they play tough defense - so going into the finals the Lakers said we don't need to guard Perkins and can ignore Rondo and double the actual scorers on the team and low and behold, they could not score.  What a surprise?

They are 20th in the league in scoring and their offense has been stifled ever since Shaq got hurt and Perk came back.  Another surprise?

Give me Krsrtic, Shaq, Baby, and Murphy scoring a lot more points, actually making free throws, playing tough defense, and at the same time making up for Rondo's futility.

The offense will get better and the defense will be no worse.

Now if we could just get the sodium pentathol into the vets and have them be honest about how they would really like to see Rondo go as opposed to having someone that can shoot, shoot 3s, shoot jumpers, shoot freebies, not cause automatic doubleteams, etc.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rhody3. Show Rhody3's posts

Yeah but you won't hear "man, PP is dragging and he's 3-14 and why is LeBron averaging 40 points on the C's?" Krstic can get us the 8-10 points and 8 rebs Perk was getting us. We didn't lose Shaq and KG. If anything this let's Shaq know that he's the man again.
    Posted by BiasLewis

Krstic will not even come close to 8 rebounds a night, he's soft and will be a spot up shooter at best. Perks D will be missed he did excellent job on Howard in Playoffs

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

The Celtics had the 2nd best record in the NBA with Perk out.  Many on here believe we lost game 7 of the NBA Finals because Perk was injured.  NO, NO, NO.

We had the 2nd best record while Perk was out because we have a deep, talented team and that does not change with trading Perk to OKC.

We lost in the Finals because the only bigs we had were KG and Sheed (and Baby).  Perk would have helped but so would Shaq and/or JON and/or Kristic.  We were a solid team without Perk and will remain being a solid team.

We cannot put a value on having an athletic 6'9" young SF who can score and defend.  We will continue to get the job done by committee at the C position.  I think we've gotten better around the C position today.

And on realgm.com, there is speculation that Sheed is contemplating returning.  Honestly, looking at it now, this was all probably planned to play out this way. 

Celtics will get banner #18.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk : Krstic will not even come close to 8 rebounds a night, he's soft and will be a spot up shooter at best. Perks D will be missed he did excellent job on Howard in Playoffs
    Posted by Rhody3

Krstic is a lot tougher than you would lead people to believe, oh and yes he can actually contribute at the offensive end - but only in the Perk corner could that be considered a bad thing.

Howard's offensive game has improved tremendously over the last couple of years and please go back and check the last time the Cs played Orlando - Perk was embarrassed off the floor by Howard.  Perk can no longer handled Howard one on one.

Perk's defense may be missed somewhat but imagine a possession where it goes into the post and does not result in a missed layup, a turnover, bad handling of a pass, 3 second violation, missed free throws, etc.

They scored 79 points in game 7 of the finals - is defense the problem?  Nope.  They have a point guard that nobody guards and cannot score and a center that is the same.  The center is gone and is being replaced by a much better offensive center and oh by the way they went the first half of the season with a much better center and a much better offense and still resulted in the second best defense in the league.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Some documentation on the "unhappiness".  I hope this link opens.

http://www.csnne.com/pages/v3_video?PID=T48EWet_uyJy4spraLdjNU7moLz9nVx1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

The reason we had a great defense without Perk was because of who we played and how they were all playing at the beginning of the season  as well as having Shaq.  What's changed:  

a.  The Heat are playing better than they were then, the Bulls are playing better than they were then, the Magic are better than they were at the beginning of the season and the Lakers are playing better than they were in mid-season.  

b. Shaq was in the lineup consistently.  So, Perk didn't matter much.  I wouldn't be as worried if Shaq's history of injury in the last 4 seasons wasn't so consistent - MISSES A LOT OF GAMES AND IS HURT A LOT.  So, we had JON and Semih, too, right.  NO - gone and can't be counted on.

So, look at the spread between our record and Miami's at the end of the 1st third of the season vs now.  Notice a difference?

With Perk gone, we darn sure better have a healthy Shaq and we better have a better offense, because our D won't be as good.  Don't even talk about rebounding - we were getting KILLED on the boards before Perk came back and we're going back to that now. 

Can we still win - absolutely.  But, don't think, my friends, that its going to be easier because you can't promise me that Shaq will even play a lot of games or be there for us in the playoffs!

PS.  I like the trades.  I'm not arguing against them, just arguing against this sentiment that "its going to be ok - look at how well we did without Perk in the beginning of the season"!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

The Celtics had the 2nd best record in the NBA with Perk out.  Many on here believe we lost game 7 of the NBA Finals because Perk was injured.  NO, NO, NO. We had the 2nd best record while Perk was out because we have a deep, talented team and that does not change with trading Perk to OKC. We lost in the Finals because the only bigs we had were KG and Sheed (and Baby).  Perk would have helped but so would Shaq and/or JON and/or Kristic.  We were a solid team without Perk and will remain being a solid team. We cannot put a value on having an athletic 6'9" young SF who can score and defend.  We will continue to get the job done by committee at the C position.  I think we've gotten better around the C position today. And on realgm.com, there is speculation that Sheed is contemplating returning.  Honestly, looking at it now, this was all probably planned to play out this way.  Celtics will get banner #18.
    Posted by Petey62

Great post Petey! Best one of the day. You spelled it out perfectly!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The only way this is a bad trade for the Celtics is if they run into Orlando in the 2nd rd with neither O'Neal healthy and Howard just goes bonkers...

I'd see Shaq and Baby splitting time against Howard, w/ JON's 5 fouls tossed into the mix. Then KG and Green can tear apart Anderson and Bass.

But I don't even see us facing the Magic... I'd think it will be the Bulls, then the Heat and then Dallas or San Antonio.

If it is LA, well e almost beat LA w/o Perk last year in game 7... if the refs played fair and Ray's leg wasn't bruised up we'd have won it all. I'd assume Shaq will be healthy and highly motivated vs. LA this June... but if he is not, I'd certainly rather have DWest, Green, Murphy, Kristic and prob JON over Nate, Tony and Sheed w/ a balky back...

Jermaine is supposed to be able to play in April so you'd think he could give 12 mins and 5 fouls come May-June. and maybe Sheed comes back if he's not.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

In Response to Re: Report: The Vets aren't happy with trading Perk : Krstic is a lot tougher than you would lead people to believe, oh and yes he can actually contribute at the offensive end - but only in the Perk corner could that be considered a bad thing. Howard's offensive game has improved tremendously over the last couple of years and please go back and check the last time the Cs played Orlando - Perk was embarrassed off the floor by Howard.  Perk can no longer handled Howard one on one. Perk's defense may be missed somewhat but imagine a possession where it goes into the post and does not result in a missed layup, a turnover, bad handling of a pass, 3 second violation, missed free throws, etc. They scored 79 points in game 7 of the finals - is defense the problem?  Nope.  They have a point guard that nobody guards and cannot score and a center that is the same.  The center is gone and is being replaced by a much better offensive center and oh by the way they went the first half of the season with a much better center and a much better offense and still resulted in the second best defense in the league.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

Oh man now that's a funny post. True but funny! I agree we can't play 5 on 3. Shaq will provide the inside scoring and Krstic will do a little of both. As long as KG is there the anchor of our defense it will not dropoff.

If all we can ever say is Perk defends Howard. Well we can beat Orlando with Howard scoring 40 and getting 20 boards. Howard is disgusted with his team anyway and they seems to be going backwards.

The only team I truly worry about is Dallas. They swept us!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The reason we had a great defense without Perk was because of who we played and how they were all playing at the beginning of the season  as well as having Shaq.  What's changed:   a.  The Heat are playing better than they were then, the Bulls are playing better than they were then, the Magic are better than they were at the beginning of the season and the Lakers are playing better than they were in mid-season.   b. Shaq was in the lineup consistently.  So, Perk didn't matter much.  I wouldn't be as worried if Shaq's history of injury in the last 4 seasons wasn't so consistent - MISSES A LOT OF GAMES AND IS HURT A LOT.  So, we had JON and Semih, too, right.  NO - gone and can't be counted on. So, look at the spread between our record and Miami's at the end of the 1st third of the season vs now.  Notice a difference? With Perk gone, we darn sure better have a healthy Shaq and we better have a better offense, because our D won't be as good.  Don't even talk about rebounding - we were getting KILLED on the boards before Perk came back and we're going back to that now.  Can we still win - absolutely.  But, don't think, my friends, that its going to be easier because you can't promise me that Shaq will even play a lot of games or be there for us in the playoffs! PS.  I like the trades.  I'm not arguing against them, just arguing against this sentiment that "its going to be ok - look at how well we did without Perk in the beginning of the season"!
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

On the topic of rebounding, when you shoot 50%, hold teams to 40% and race back on defense as part of the Tom Tibbs defense scheme you tend to not have as many chances at rebounds as your opponants do.

Danny is rolling the dice for sure.

Let us cross our fingers we face Chicago over Orlando round 2, I assume we get the 2 seed and chicago the 3. (actually lets hope we get the 1 seed and the Knicks or Hawks beat the Magic)

and of course Shaq has to be healthy. Key to the season now.

Can we beat Orlando w/o Shaq? Yes... b/c Green will give Turk and Anderson way more issues than someone like Marquis or Anthony Parker would have and Baby plays Howard great.

Can we beat Miami or LA w/o Shaq? Probably not.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Everyone talks about if we had Perk, we win last years 7th game.  Laker fans say Bynum and Perk cancel them out and I agree totally.  What everyone forgets is that for the las two seasons, the Celts were without the heart of the the team, the one who makes the D go and is the MVP of this team and its best player and that is KG.

With him healthy the last 2 years, we would have won 3 titles in a row. He is the key.  With Perk out we can still win.  KG can handle Gasol and we still know something HAS to up. 

We have 3 roster spots open and there is no way Danny would have pulled this trade off if he didn't have a plan for a center or a very active #4 who can help on the inside at least defensively.

Keep the hope folks.  This is not over as far as more players to bring in and our season.  We can still win this.

Green gives us some versatility and height, though he is very light for 6' 9".

Sections
Shortcuts