Rick Pitino - First coach to win championships with 2 different schools

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Re: Rick Pitino - First coach to win championships with 2 different schools

No. Pinto is a great college coach, but a disaster in the pros by every possible assessment.

Doc is mediocre.  

Is there a thrid option?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Doc Rivers is will above mediocre.  Scott Skiles is medicore.  Mike D'Antoni is mediocre.........Doc Rivers is in the top 5 with Pop, Karl, Spoelstra and Brooks.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

why is spoelstra a good coach?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Pitino was terrible at the NBA level.  Even with his recent success someone still would be taking a chance at giving him another opportunity at the professional level. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Pitino on the sidelines.

Posted Image

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Doc Rivers is a great coach. Those who want him gone will be crying when he leaves. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Heya Hedley - Spoelstra is not a top five coach by any means. He is just coaching the best player. 

He's a better coach than I thought I'll give you that. 

As for Pitino he's a bad pro coach and a great college coach, as much as I hate to admit the latter. 

My biggest beef with him, aside from being a sanctimonious wife cheating prima donna hypocrite, is the fact that he continues to downplay his utter failure in Boston by claiming it was all about not getting Tim Duncan. 

If he simply had the guts to say "I failed in Boston" I would respect him a heck of a lot more.

Rivers is a top five coach in the NBA, but I'd put him on the outer ring of the top five. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

No. Pinto is a great college coach, but a disaster in the pros by every possible assessment.

Doc is mediocre.  

Is there a thrid option?

power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

jan volk was GM of the pitino celtics, but it was pitino who called the shots and made the personnel decisions. it just so happens that he was a hideous evaluator of nba talent. pitino's ability to coach in the nba would have manifested itself in boston as it did earlier in new york if he had had a decent roster. by his own doing, he did not have a decent roster.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 003323344. Show 003323344's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Doc is mediocre.  

Is there a thrid option?

power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

jan volk was GM of the pitino celtics, but it was pitino who called the shots and made the personnel decisions. it just so happens that he was a hideous evaluator of nba talent. pitino's ability to coach in the nba would have manifested itself in boston as it did earlier in new york if he had had a decent roster. by his own doing, he did not have a decent roster.   

Pitino drafted Mr big shot and Ron Mercer. Chauncey was gone after half a year and Mercer was gone in 2 years. He was awful.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

an SI panel ranked Doc #2 in the league a few weeks ago....

Pitino arrived in New York in 1987.....the year before the team won 24 games...two years later they won their first division title in 20 years....he must've done something right...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Heya Hedley - Spoelstra is not a top five coach by any means. He is just coaching the best player. 

As for Pitino he's a bad pro coach and a great college coach, as much as I hate to admit the latter. 

My biggest beef with him, aside from being a sanctimonious wife cheating prima donna hypocrite, is the fact that he continues to downplay his utter failure in Boston by claiming it was all about not getting Tim Duncan. 

If he simply had the guts to say "I failed in Boston" I would respect him a heck of a lot more.

Rivers is a top five coach in the NBA, but I'd put him on the outer ring of the top five. 

There's a segment of a fan base that thinks a team should when a title every year. If they don't the coach is an idiot and their best player is overrated. 

Never mind, if that coach has had five division titles a ECF appearance a Finals appearance and championship. He is an idiot and should have won five titles. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

I think Spoelstra has earned his stripes by now.  He has adapted, and made adjustments.  Perhaps Carlisle or Adelman should be in the top 5, but Spoelstra is, as you said, a better coach than I thought he would be.

If I may adjust -

Pop, Doc, Karl, Adelman, Carlisle and Thibs...............any of those. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Guys -

Maybe I am naive, but is there really even the concept of a "great NBA coach" these days? Or is it more like a handful of adequate coaches and a bunch of inexperienced or inadequate ones? Thats how I feel about Spol. He is now an adequate coach. Is he "great"? No. Is Doc "Great"? He is a good player coach, draws good plays, sometimes makes good use of the pieces Danny gives him. But, when's the last time someone said, "wow, what a brilliant move!"? 

My point is: What makes a Great coach? Is it just a ranking where someone has to be #1? I postulate that there are no great nba coaches. Just bad ones.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Doc Rivers is will above mediocre.  Scott Skiles is medicore.  Mike D'Antoni is mediocre.........Doc Rivers is in the top 5 with Pop, Karl, Spoelstra and Brooks.

Harumph!

Sections
Shortcuts