http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7817857/dwayne-schintzius-dead-age-43

some highlights about mr. schintzius:

"A 7-foot-2 center, Schintzius led the University of Florida to its first three NCAA tournament appearances. He remains the only SEC player with more than 1,000 points, 800 rebounds, 250 assists and 250 blocked shots.

Schintzius was diagnosed with Myelomonocytic Leukemia in 2009 and was declared cancer-free after receiving a successful bone marrow transplant from his younger brother Travis in early 2010."

for some reasoon, i always linked him with eric montross. when i first saw steimsma, i immediately thought of dwayne. minus the injuries and weight issues, he could have been steamer back then. the guy had game and a mean tude. he never lived up to this first-round status hype but he was serviceable, not a total bust, but not a star either. he was a big body. celts were the last nba team he ever played for in 98-99. i remember that signing well for those were the real DARK days. i remember someone writing sarcastically that all our problems were now solved due to the signing of the schint. believe that was another of ML carr's many lets throw it against the wall and see what happens signings.. right there with pervis ellison, x-man macdaniels, dino radja, that other 7'2 serbian stiff, dominique, etc etc etc! 

in his healthy prime, he was a 7'2 guy with shot-blocking quick feet, a jump shot and a worker around the rim. tough way to pass. i never heard of his battles. unfortunately, that's just the way it goes. 99% of the guys are totally forgotten after they leave, unless they are busted for fraud, drugs, spousal support or assault or murder charges. or if they go bankrupt or in football if they have some brain injury from playing the game. this should have been prominently in the news. there are many folks in this country wrestling with this situation!

btw, dwayne had the baddest MULLET ever! billy ray cyrus used to be envious of this dude, and i watched eddie the movie like 10 times and really enjoyed his character. whoopi was in fine form back then.