R.I.P. Tank Mode

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

R.I.P. Tank Mode

We're too good to continue discussing Wiggins, Randle, Jabari, Smart et al.  Stevens and Co. are way too competitive.  Let's shift back into WIN mode and let Danny use his assets to trade for and sign the next big pieces.

I'm glad that's over with.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Re: R.I.P. Tank Mode

I wish we could say that we are too good to continue winning but is a lonnnnngggg season. Injuries happen, trades happen, teams prepare for Stevens etc etc...lets see what happens before we say goodbye to Loto picks

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Teams that intentionally tank don't get good picks in the "not rigged" nba lottery.  Teams that try hard but fall short of the playoffs have been so lucky that it's almost statistically impossible.

I think 5-10 games out of the playoffs is a good place to be. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

I think people are overreacting to this Heat win.

By no means am I trying to sour the outcome. Incredibly gutsy performance from everyone. Brad Stevens pushed all the right buttons from the jump. Olynyk started and within a minute had a block and his first NBA 3. His rotations were solid. Everyone contributed and had a clear imprint on this game. Hump gave them some good minutes, Crawford hit some big shots, including that 28 foot step-back three at the end of the half, Lee scored 6 straight Celtics points, Bradley with the step-back on Ray in the 4th, and the two big plays (Wallace with the lay in AND the incredible pass to Green, who hit an absurd shot to win it). Loved Stevens' out-of-timeout plays (Doc's biggest asset). They played like a TEAM to beat the best PLAYER on the planet. It was incredibly encouraging to see this team come together and steal a win like that. I had a blast watching that game, and was very happy I picked that over LSU v Bama.

However, if you thought the Heat actually played this game like a playoff game (the Celtics treated it as such, and they should have) you're fooling yourself. Miami's defensive rotations were garbage. They didn't get back in transition (when you get burned by Pressey multiple times on a fast break you have a problem) and I think in a playoff game LeBron takes over much sooner than he did.

This team has a lot of interesting pieces on it. Should be fun to see what DA does by the trade deadline. Great win. Made my weekend.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

In response to BiggerThanMyBrady's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think people are overreacting to this Heat win.

By no means am I trying to sour the outcome. Incredibly gutsy performance from everyone. Brad Stevens pushed all the right buttons from the jump. Olynyk started and within a minute had a block and his first NBA 3. His rotations were solid. Everyone contributed and had a clear imprint on this game. Hump gave them some good minutes, Crawford hit some big shots, including that 28 foot step-back three at the end of the half, Lee scored 6 straight Celtics points, Bradley with the step-back on Ray in the 4th, and the two big plays (Wallace with the lay in AND the incredible pass to Green, who hit an absurd shot to win it). Loved Stevens' out-of-timeout plays (Doc's biggest asset). They played like a TEAM to beat the best PLAYER on the planet. It was incredibly encouraging to see this team come together and steal a win like that. I had a blast watching that game, and was very happy I picked that over LSU v Bama.

However, if you thought the Heat actually played this game like a playoff game (the Celtics treated it as such, and they should have) you're fooling yourself. Miami's defensive rotations were garbage. They didn't get back in transition (when you get burned by Pressey multiple times on a fast break you have a problem) and I think in a playoff game LeBron takes over much sooner than he did.

This team has a lot of interesting pieces on it. Should be fun to see what DA does by the trade deadline. Great win. Made my weekend.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with BiggerMyBrady here and I think we should continue to temper expectations. Some great elements to applaud from that performance. KO is the real deal. Green will really take a lot of confidence from this and Jordan Crawford could be the player responding best to this new Celtics set-up. AB looks like he's finding himself.  Plus Brad Stevens has high basketball IQ. All great elements. The Heat were terrible though and very sloppy and could have a real problem in this conference. 

Great performance & character but we don't have the roster to bring us on a consistent run. Player and coach development will bring some great, great bright spots though. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to cabutan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wish we could say that we are too good to continue winning but is a lonnnnngggg season. Injuries happen, trades happen, teams prepare for Stevens etc etc...lets see what happens before we say goodbye to Loto picks

[/QUOTE]

You are right.  Many Celtics fans were very surprised to see the Celtics win a game in Miami.  You have to wait until at least the beginning of January to see where the Celtics are in the standing to make any predictions about where they will end up.   Of course it is better if we end up as one of the worse teams in the NBA but this may not happen.  I will attend games whether we have a good team or not. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

The C's are going to spend all season flirting with a 7th or 8th seed playoff spot.  And then they're going to get run over in the first round.  That's why I said it's time to abandon the Top Five lottery pick talk and time to start thinking of trades and free agents.  By no means am I suggesting that the Heat win was not a huge upset. 

Don't get your hopes, we have not shot at Wiggins.  And it's doubtful that we'll even be able to trade up for a crack at Marcus Smart.  Start dreaming of backcourts featuring Gordon Heyward.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

YES NO MORE WIGGINS, PARKER, RANDLE (SUPERSTAR) TALK.. WE ARE THE 7TH SEED WITH ONLY 75 GAMES LEFT IN THE SEASON. LET'S FOCUS ON WINNING 3 OUT OF EVERY 7 GAMES AND BEING THE 7TH SEED 1ST ROUND KO FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS. 

[/QUOTE]

It really isn't about "focusing". It is what it is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Tank mode will be back. We're not good enough to win championships nor do we have the tradeable assets. 

WIN is a team mentality which has very little trade value. 

Ainge will see us to the lottery where we belong. 

We'll lose more games soon enough...

That said the Heat win was amazing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

in the mean time a four or five game string of Ws would suit me fine. that can happen this week for this upwardly trending team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

[QUOTE]

YES NO MORE WIGGINS, PARKER, RANDLE (SUPERSTAR) TALK.. WE ARE THE 7TH SEED WITH ONLY 75 GAMES LEFT IN THE SEASON. LET'S FOCUS ON WINNING 3 OUT OF EVERY 7 GAMES AND BEING THE 7TH SEED 1ST ROUND KO FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS. 

[/QUOTE]

Spot on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

danny knows how to avoid the never ending spinning wheel of mediocrity. i'm not remotely concerned with that. win as often as we possibly can and the rest will take care of itself. the transition the Cs are undergoing is off to a splendid start IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Spot on.

[/QUOTE]

It isn't spot on. No one is "focusing" on being the 7th seed. Players want to win, coaches want to win.  The only way to "tank" is to be the worst team in the NBA. So far it looks like they aren't.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

I predict we will win some and lose some then draft some one in the 1st round. I also predict that the Nets will have more injuries to the AARP corps we traded to them and become team turmoil by midseason.........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wayyyyyyy too early to put them into the playoffs....as certain players perform well...like Green...they will become more valuable to those teams close to going deep into the playoffs but still needing a piece or two to get there, while not wanting to wait until close to the trade deadline and get scalped by trader DA....we'll loose guys, pick up draft choices and more marginal players as a result...the team well evolve, not just in scheme and playing time for core players but in actual guys on the roster as well....the roster shuffle is far from over...

[/QUOTE]

They are trading Green At the deadline. Wallace would be a player to move at the deadline. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

If Stevens had been the Celtics coach in '10 and '12 Boston would have had two extra banners hanging in the rafters. So he's made his point. Now stop the madness! Quit winning! We need next years draft for the next Celtics dynasty.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to guyfromtex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Stevens had been the Celtics coach in '10 and '12 Boston would have had two extra banners hanging in the rafters. So he's made his point. Now stop the madness! Quit winning! We need next years draft for the next Celtics dynasty.

[/QUOTE]

LOL.

I am very curious to see how far the Brad Stevens reclamation magic will go.  Jordan Crawford is reclaimed.  Olynyk is finding  place.  Sullinger is playing with friskiness.  Bradley is doing well.  Wallace is on his way.  Waiting on Jeff Green.  And Fav reclamation has been launched.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Spot on.

[/QUOTE]

It isn't spot on. No one is "focusing" on being the 7th seed. Players want to win, coaches want to win.  The only way to "tank" is to be the worst team in the NBA. So far it looks like they aren't.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks 37.  Ever since I pronounced Tank Mode officially deceased, after reading some of these replies, you may have thought I was suggesting to gas up the duckboats.  Of course we're not contenders.  It's just a waste of time to mention the elite pick conversation (Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Smart).  We're not heading there.  We're not heading to finals, either. 

It's time to discuss some different rebuilding options. 

Sections
Shortcuts