Rivers goes small, Spurs go on a 9-0 run

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

Re: Rivers goes small, Spurs go on a 9-0 run

In response to Fiercest34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Instead of making multiple threads about Doc going small, why don't you make thread about firing Doc Rivers.

[/QUOTE]

Because that would be small

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i missed the game- how did diago spitter end up scoring 23????  that's more than he normally scores in half a season?  the fruits of going small i suppose.

i'm all for getting rid of doc.  this team is coming together as fast as frozen turrdds roll uphill in the winter time. there is an expiration date for moronic game plans as it pertains to the veterans keeping their heads in this team and not just checking out.....  supposedly this was an "all in to win the cup" year and so far we are 7th-8th seed material at best

i mean if this is it for jeff green, we're done for years with $9M deadweight 3/4 swingman.  do you just take doc's word for it or do you try another coach to see if you can turn the screws on green to get him going?

i don't think it's possible to play small ball with green in the game.  he plays so small already for 6-9

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Why Cant they play defense anymore?  Doc is not the problem. The problem is that they have no talent what so ever other than Rondo.  KG is done, they have no heart. No playoffs for a long long time!

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why Cant they play defense anymore?  Doc is not the problem. The problem is that they have no talent what so ever other than Rondo.  KG is done, they have no heart. No playoffs for a long long time!

[/QUOTE]

rondo does not play defense. at least not very much, and not in a way that consistently helps the team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Our defense has got progressively worse every year since Thibs left. Doc isn't the problem. The problem is Lee, Green, Wilcox and Bass are all marginal players and we're expecting them to be more than that.

We've got to make a move....quick. This is why I didn't want to draft Sully. We need size and Green, Bass and Sully just don't play big. I'm sick of Green...he just doesn't get it.

I expect the same to continue until we make a move. After we lose to the Thunder tomorrow, I'm willing to grab Martin and trade for Gortat.

Sign Martin
    Trade Green, Lee, Wilcox and Sully for Gortat, Wes Johnson and Shannon Brown.

Start Gortat, move KG back to PF. Let Martin play the 5 and Bass play 4 coming off the bench. Rotate Gortat, KG, Martin and Bass

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

IRONY: With this much talent over last year.... the Cs are turning into a .500 team unable to jell... watching transfixed as history is made.

R9R going for glory... singlehandedly leading this team to nowhere... as he approaches Majic's 46 consecutive games double digit assist record... and we will be witnesses to history.

You'll be able to tell your grand kids where you were the moment R9R breaks the record on 12/18/12 in Chicago. UGH!

And now for the unvarnished truth.

CHRIS FORSBERG: "The Cs aren't good enough at this point to be focused on individual accomplishment."

Oh but we are... and totally  myopic too.

Just sit back, watch the game, count the dimes, get ready for 12/18/12.... and wonder about why this Rondo-centric team isn't jelling.

Hint... they've been RONDO'D!!!

Pud 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Docs a good vet team players coach.. translated, Doc can place towels on their backs when they come out of games and stay out of the way.  OK, a little extreme...

I never liked his rotation strategies (if there has been one). I recall so many times a bench player having a hot hand and immediately getting benched never to be seen again for the game, maybe a couple more after that.   Docs a loyalty coach.. doesnt let condidtions of the game  or the situation dictate in many instances imo.

Remember leaving Perk and the bad FT shooting Rondo in at the end of close games we were winning by a few?? Those guys were ez potential targets to intentionally foul but Doc didnt have the heart to yank at least one of them.  Never understood it.

Anyway, the force feeding of small ball isnt paying off so far. Maybe the C's jell just in time for the playoffs like last year. Was that great coaching?? I dont know.. but we did make a great run. So I can not like his coaching style but hard to be too critical when we were one quarter away from knocking off the eventual NBA champs and reaching the finals last year ourselves. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I wonder when the first "Fire Doc"  thread will start.  Early in Doc coaching in Beantown  I was one of the ones that was ready to get rid of hiim.  Funny with good players a coach looks a lot better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Bias got one part exactly right.  We don't have the players anymore who want to play D and do the dirty work.  Everyone complained about the guys we had, but they played D (like BBD and Delonte and Perk).  So now we have more athletic pretty boys who don't play D - they stand outside shooting jumpers and on the other end they play "Ole" defense.

Rather than bash Doc (who after EVERY SEASON you have to praise because the team goes further in the playoffs than everyone thinks they can), why not bash Danny for the consistently dumb moves he makes??  Even the announcers say that at one point the Celtics were the biggest team in the league.  Then Danny proceeds to downsize more than a wall street firm in bankruptcy!  Every big man you can name is run out of town (Semih, Perk, Hollins, Williams, Steamer, Kristc, etc).   Small teams must be VERY athletic and determined to rebound.  We don't have guys who will rebound!

Second problem (and the one that really allowed Splitter to go wild last night) is poor defense all around.  Same old story.  Their guards blow by ours (especially Rondo but Terry and Lee not much better), KG tries to cover, no rotation by Bass, Green, Pierce, and Wilcox.....and their man gets a layup or dunk.   Painful to watch.

Again this year, Doc will work with what he has and the team will get better and surprise us in the playoff as they learn the Coach's schemes.  The young guys will learn like BBD, Rondo, Bradley, Perk, and others did.  Doc will develop these guys the same way.  But, Danny's downsizing will cost us in the end and we'll be stopped in the second or third round.

So, Danny, when will you stop downsizing and start growing, again????

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder when the first "Fire Doc"  thread will start.  Early in Doc coaching in Beantown  I was one of the ones that was ready to get rid of hiim.  Funny with good players a coach looks a lot better.

[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened last year and look at how he ended the season.  Time will tell.

but its ALWAYS true that coaches are better with better players.  Best example in the world:  Phil Jackson who won't even accept a coaching job unless he has a team capable of winning a championship!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I'll remind you that last year, this team started off with 3 straight losses, then ended up 4 wins and 8 losses after 12 games.  2 of their wins were against the lowly Wizards and the other 2 were the Nets and Pistons (in other words, if we played anyone we would have been 0 and 12 !!).   

Doc will improve the team like last year.   I just think our lack of size will matter in the end.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    We've got very good players.

Just 2 months ago everyone was gloating about DA's wonderful off-season acquisitions and how another championship was straight ahead.

Whats missing are focus and leadership being undermined by individual pursuits. 

Pud

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Green and Lee being exposed as not so impact players is going to get in the way of a move for a big man.  Sullinger will be part of any package.  Green has to be showcased and gift wrapped to pull this off.  It won't be easy unless Green shows something. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Three minutes into the third quarter, this stat popped up from Gorman:  3 offensive rebounds.  SA had eleven at that point.   

It's the only relevant stat right now.  It doesn't matter who they get moving forward; if they don't begin to box out and rebound, they'll finish dead last in the east. 

The only noticeable improvement for this team is that their turnovers are down. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to soups' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Three minutes into the third quarter, this stat popped up from Gorman:  3 offensive rebounds.  SA had eleven at that point.   

It's the only relevant stat right now.  It doesn't matter who they get moving forward; if they don't begin to box out and rebound, they'll finish dead last in the east. 

The only noticeable improvement for this team is that their turnovers are down. 

[/QUOTE]
    Doc at the press conference was asked about the offensive rebounds and said it was less important. He seems to think it is the defense.  Whatever it is your thought they we will be at the bottom is correct if we don't play better.  We all played and know blocking out effectively keeps even big guys off the boards.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Just 2 months ago everyone was gloating about DA's wonderful off-season acquisitions and how another championship was straight ahead."

Not me, though I realize you do prefer to speak in generalities than to understand nuances. 

Ainge did a nice job of anticipating Allen's likely signing with the Heat by signing Terry and Lee but most smart fans knew that didn't make us better, at best that was break even. 

So it all came down to Jeff Green, who some were high on but others including myself have always been skeptical of, and the potential impact of one rookie (Sullinger) who is somewhat NBA ready. 

So in a sense the only improvement is the modest addition of Sullinger, contrasted by one more year of age on Pierce and Garnett. It's a father time issue. 

I know you are enjoying this losing because you see it as an indictment of Rondo, but in fact this team doesn't have a leadership issue it has a talent issue. At some point you may want to wipe the crust out of your eyes on that one.

The only reason I was somewhat optimistic beyond the evidence is because I didn't see a lot of great teams emerging from the east, and I still don't. In a weak conference this team could still do some damage, we'll see. 

But no, I wasn't handing out rings and most other smart fans weren't either. That said unlike you I am neither enjoying this losing nor am I assuming it will continue. It's a long season and we will see. Right now I was expecting the team to be a little better but I did think it would take time for the team to gell. Bradley is also a really important part of this mix, so he's the one x factor we don't have right now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I've always said we won in 08 in spite of Doc, not because of him!! He is an average coach at best. Same for Ainge, besides drafting big Al and Mchale doing the C's a favor, what has he really did that was above agerage for a GM? It's not about Green, Lee, or Wilcox, they are what they are ,average players that will not be the difference makers in games. It doesn't matter if we trade for Gortat, or pick up KMart. What matters is we have no stars on the team, forget superstars, we don't even have what i would call a star player on this team!! KG and Pierce are too old, it's not their fault they both give everything they have, they just don't have enough anymore to carry a team. Rondo is a top 10 point guard no more no less, 4 games without a free throw by a guy who has the ball 90% of the time, is just unbelievable!! I hope we decide to finally blow this thing up and start over. Draft a super star or sign one if we can get anyone who wants to play in Boston. You can't win in this league without star players, it's as simple as that!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to concord27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Green and Lee being exposed as not so impact players is going to get in the way of a move for a big man.  Sullinger will be part of any package.  Green has to be showcased and gift wrapped to pull this off.  It won't be easy unless Green shows something. 

[/QUOTE]
    Agree that Green can be the difference maker for this team in the future.  Except for a few good games he has been very disappointing.  If the Celtics try to make any trades, they have to have tradeable assets that another team want.  Just not sure who that would be at this point.