RIvers is killing the team by playing without a center

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: RIvers is killing the team by playing without a center

Seems we miss BBD and his rebounding and D after all!   Bass certainly isn't providing the Boards.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

"Bass is the problem. It's not because he's not good, he's just not starter material."

Maybe we should have kept Big Baby?  He is doing 15.2pts/8.5rpg with only about 3 minutes more in playing time and for a little less money per year.

Davis wanted to be a man and launch 20 shots per game. But i'm not taking anything away from him, he played very well for the Celtics.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

It would be nice & easy to claim a simple reason why we stink so far this year but in reality, it's not simple like Doc not playing that bum Darko (who showed very little in pre-season, either).   the issue is that it takes time to learn to build this team and their roles. Certainly more than 11 games!

Yes, we are the worst rebounders in the League.  but Miami and the Purs are also small and they win/rebound.   we have too many other problems to go with our rebounding woes.   Our help D and pic&roll D stinks.  KG is being held back on minutes, properly, and we get killed without him.  Even with him, we are naturally small (thanks, Danny).  Our shooters are not shooting well, including Pierce, But especially Lee and Terry.  Jeff Green is still inconsistent and not an aggressive scorer.  Rondo is pursuing records and in the process, holds the ball too long and more importantly, plays the worst on ball D most of the game (gambling, reaching, fouling).  We have NO INSIDE SCORERS!!!

with all that, is it any wonder we are 6 and 5?   But like last year, this coach will stick with it will teach his principles.   The team will get better and will get Bradley back.......and we will make a run!

if not, expect Danny to make more moves at mid-season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

In response to kyceltic's comment:

We play the whole game without a center! KG and Wilcox play the center position, but they are not centers!!

But KG and Wilcox are playing well.

Bass is the problem. It's not because he's not good, he's just not starter material.

No, going small is the problem.

We should never be without a rim defender on the floor.

Never is a long time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to Fields4's comment:

"Bass is the problem. It's not because he's not good, he's just not starter material."

Maybe we should have kept Big Baby?  He is doing 15.2pts/8.5rpg with only about 3 minutes more in playing time and for a little less money per year.

Davis wanted to be a man and launch 20 shots per game. But i'm not taking anything away from him, he played very well for the Celtics.

True - he had 1/2 season of stupidity.   But I wonder if treated differently, would he have straightened out.  Who knows, Tony Allen, BBD, and Ray Allen could be right about not being treated well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

we suck this year because of worse rebounding than ever.  kg is a year older.  we let steamer go and milicic had a hope of replacing some of his role if not all of that and doc chose to ride him on the pine so that lesser rebounders and smaller players could come in and we'd get out-rebounded some more.

don't get me wrong, i'm not a big darko fan but his numbers speak for themselves.  give him 15 minutes and he'll clog the middle, block a shot and get 5 and 5 or better.  given that he would be playing SOME with KG, who is a better passer than most, darko could have stood to get some very easy looks.  i liked the interface b/t kg and undersized bigs powe and davis. 

why did doc choose to ignore darko on the roster this season once the regular season hit?  collins is one of the worst all time big men per minute rebounders a 6-11 body has ever seen

Agreed. IMO Milicic is significantly better than Steamer who did produce a little last year. KG is out of position. Milicic would have helped Boston. I think that he wasn't being used because Doc is still trying to figure out how to utilize the talent that Ainge provided him with. He hasn't figured it out yet. There won't be anyone nearly as good as Milicic available to clog the middle.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to guyfromtex's comment:

In response to aciemvp's comment:

we suck this year because of worse rebounding than ever.  kg is a year older.  we let steamer go and milicic had a hope of replacing some of his role if not all of that and doc chose to ride him on the pine so that lesser rebounders and smaller players could come in and we'd get out-rebounded some more.

don't get me wrong, i'm not a big darko fan but his numbers speak for themselves.  give him 15 minutes and he'll clog the middle, block a shot and get 5 and 5 or better.  given that he would be playing SOME with KG, who is a better passer than most, darko could have stood to get some very easy looks.  i liked the interface b/t kg and undersized bigs powe and davis. 

why did doc choose to ignore darko on the roster this season once the regular season hit?  collins is one of the worst all time big men per minute rebounders a 6-11 body has ever seen

Agreed. IMO Milicic is significantly better than Steamer who did produce a little last year. KG is out of position. Milicic would have helped Boston. I think that he wasn't being used because Doc is still trying to figure out how to utilize the talent that Ainge provided him with. He hasn't figured it out yet. There won't be anyone nearly as good as Milicic available to clog the middle.

You speak the truth.  Doc should have played this guy.  We  will never know now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

darko = kristc (sp?).  They both want to be stars without the work.  Gotta learn the D and if you play worse than the other players, you sit until you learn.   Works on my AAU team, as well.  Pack up and go home if you are not willing to compete for the PT !!!

we all wanted Doc to develop the bench and not run the stars into the ground.  He's doing exactly that and we'll be a mediocre team until the bench learns to step up.  

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:

Seems we miss BBD and his rebounding and D after all!   Bass certainly isn't providing the Boards.

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bass is a huge upgrade over Davis!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

True - he had 1/2 season of stupidity.   But I wonder if treated differently, would he have straightened out.  Who knows, Tony Allen, BBD, and Ray Allen could be right about not being treated well.

REALLY?  He was fat one season, pouted anohter season, broke his hand another season......he had 1/2 of a GOOD year, when KG went down.  Please stop with this nonsense.  He never helped us, and he wouldn't now!  He is incredibly over-rated!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Deandre Jordan or Omer Asik (picks 35 and 36) would look good in Green, but Danny went for JR Giddens (pick 30) in 2008. Giddens is currently playing in Italy.

From the Globe after they picked Giddens, 'Rivers liked what he saw. Athletic. Skilled. Incredible wingspan. But what stuck out most to Rivers was the way Giddens shut down opponents. "He has a chance to fight for minutes right away because of his defense," Rivers said. So with Giddens still on the board at No. 30 last night, the Celtics submitted his name as their first-round pick. "I think he's a playmaker at the defensive end," Ainge said. "This guy gets steals, blocks shots from the guard position. He's a playmaker at the defensive end and he's a pretty darn good offensive player."

Hindsight is certanly 20-20 but a lot of people on this board were clamoring for Jordan. But Doc and Danny went small. They did pick Semih with the last pick of the draft but left him in Turkey to develop.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

REALLY?  He was fat one season, pouted anohter season, broke his hand another season......he had 1/2 of a GOOD year, when KG went down.  Please stop with this nonsense.  He never helped us, and he wouldn't now!  He is incredibly over-rated!!!

Try to be objective and not let your bias show.  He was widely acknowledged as a 6th man of the year candidate.  He was a sub for Shaq and then a sub for KG.  without KG and with Baby, we almost beat Orlando.  He was at many times the ONLY guy inside fighting for offensive rebounds.  He played Defense on 3 different positions, including and especially centers and was quick enough to take the offensive fouls we never get anymore (too many pretty boys now).   Try to remember that this guy may have lost his mind and his game that last 3 months but was one of the FEW young players who proved that Doc does play young guys.   Against Powe, Johnson, Melo, and other rookies, he developed very quickly and was very productive.  I miss his inside dirty work.

i love the Celtics but I hate that fans don't give enough credit to those players who didn't stay (BBD), Ray Allen, Tony Allen, Perk, etc.   They all made great contributions despite their weaknesses.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Try to be objective and not let your bias show.  He was widely acknowledged as a 6th man of the year candidate.  He was a sub for Shaq and then a sub for KG.  without KG mad with Baby, we almost beat Orlando.  He was at many times the ONLY guy inside fighting for offensive rebounds.  He played Defense on 3 different positions, including and especially centers and was quick enough to take the offensive fouls we never get anymore (too many pretty boys now).   Try to remember that this guy may have lost his mind and game that last 6 months but was one of the FEW young players who proved that Doc does play young guys.   Against Powe, Johnson, Melo, and other rookies, he developed very quickly and was very productive.

I gave him credit for 2009 - he was very good that year, when we lost to ORL in 7.  He was NOT good any other time, had an overly inflated opinion of his game, broke his hand............and couldn't keep his mouth shut.  And he never played against  Johnson or Melo..

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Try to be objective and not let your bias show.  He was widely acknowledged as a 6th man of the year candidate.  He was a sub for Shaq and then a sub for KG.  without KG mad with Baby, we almost beat Orlando.  He was at many times the ONLY guy inside fighting for offensive rebounds.  He played Defense on 3 different positions, including and especially centers and was quick enough to take the offensive fouls we never get anymore (too many pretty boys now).   Try to remember that this guy may have lost his mind and game that last 6 months but was one of the FEW young players who proved that Doc does play young guys.   Against Powe, Johnson, Melo, and other rookies, he developed very quickly and was very productive.

I gave him credit for 2009 - he was very good that year, when we lost to ORL in 7.  He was NOT good any other time, had an overly inflated opinion of his game, broke his hand............and couldn't keep his mouth shut.  And he never played against  Johnson or Melo..

The point was not PLAYING against Johnson or Melo.   It's being evaluated against other young bigs and how he did in his first few years vs them.  You must not have watched must basketball if you don't remember him kicking butt the first half of his last year here before got hurt and wanted to shoot too much.  He was flat out killing it the first half of that year as well as the year before.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

Big Baby is more than 6m per year.

Bass is 6m per year.

So Bass is cheaper.

But it's also true that right now Big Baby is better than Bass. Their production this season proves it.

According to hoopshype.com: $6.5 mil for Bass and $6.4 mil for Davis.  Both are not difference makers but I agree, Davis looks a little better at this moment in time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

"You have to sacrifice, everyone has to get themselves out of it. I can’t stand guys who are into themselves and not the team, and all of their worries are about themselves and not the team. You have to take yourself out of the team, and I probably learned that more than anywhere else when I was there.” Doc quoted in today's Herald n reference to the Spurs team culture that he learned when he played there. Clearly, Baby's baby period rubbed Doc the wrong way. Too bad cause Baby is a much better defender and rebounder than Bass. Bass can shoot better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

After that 11 board performance early in the year, he has been getting pushed around. I think you have to drill em to do it, but Doc needs to realize its necessary and stop ignoring. Like in Brooklyn, we got absolutely killed on the glass and then 2nd half,, you could see guys like Lee and other attacking and helping out and somewhat evened it up but that effort has to be there from the start of the game to the beginning. We are small so we need everybody rebounding or else we lose to any half decent team that can rebound.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsince1958. Show celticsince1958's posts

I agree. Let's get rid of Doc and get Phil Jackson. Trade Bass and a few others and get Gortat.

Sections
Shortcuts