Rondo Accelerates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Rondo Accelerates

It's clear that Rondo remains the best point guard, of all the point guards in the league, when it comes to a point guard capable of effectively running this Celtic's team.

After today's performance against the Magic, it's clear Rondo is able to do whatever is necessary to win, be it scoring the ball or dishing the ball.  Even though he had "only" 8 assists today, to go with his 26 points, a rebound, and a steal, he beat the Magic on at least 5 more passes that would have been assists if the Magic hadn't committed intentional fouls.

And toughness?  What point guard in the league is tougher. Obviously, a rhetorical question because the answer is no one.

I loved the way Rondo "handled" KG when Turkoglu pushed KG out of bounds and KG was about to jump up and get himself a technical.  Rondo said something to KG to diffuse his intentions and make him laugh and KG put his arm around Rondo's shoulder and laughed with him as he walked to the free throw line.

That's leadership.

We witnessed a great game out of Rondo today.  It's been a pleasure to watch Rondo grow as a player and as a leader.  I wouldn't trade him for any point guard in the league at this time. 

I think Rondo is about as perfect as we can get when it comes to a point guard to run this Celtic's team.  Is he a perfect point guard . . . not by a long shot . . . does he make mistakes . . .  well,  don't you.

Give me Rondo for C's point guard, I'll take him over any other.  Call me a hapless homer and an emotional fan, true, true, true, but what I see is a future Hall of Famer, our guy going forward to lead us to another title, one that ain't tainted.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

Re: Rondo Accelerates

In Response to Rondo Accelerates:
    [QUOTE]It's clear that Rondo remains the best point guard, of all the point guards in the league, when it comes to a point guard capable of effectively running this Celtic's team. After today's performance against the Magic, it's clear Rondo is able to do whatever is necessary to win, be it scoring the ball or dishing the ball.  Even though he had "only" 8 assists today, to go with his 26 points, a rebound, and a steal, he beat the Magic on at least 5 more passes that would have been assists if the Magic hadn't committed intentional fouls. And toughness?  What point guard in the league is tougher. Obviously, a rhetorical question because the answer is no one. I loved the way Rondo "handled" KG when Turkoglu pushed KG out of bounds and KG was about to jump up and get himself a technical.  Rondo said something to KG to diffuse his intentions and make him laugh and KG put his arm around Rondo's shoulder and laughed with him as he walked to the free throw line. That's leadership. We witnessed a great game out of Rondo today.  It's been a pleasure to watch Rondo grow as a player and as a leader.  I wouldn't trade him for any point guard in the league at this time.  I think Rondo is about as perfect as we can get when it comes to a point guard to run this Celtic's team.  Is he a perfect point guard . . . not by a long shot . . . does he make mistakes . . .  well,  don't you.   Give me Rondo for C's point guard, I'll take him over any other.  Call me a hapless homer and an emotional fan, true, true, true, but what I see is a future Hall of Famer, our guy going forward to lead us to another title, one that ain't tainted.
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

Great post. You said it all.  But where are the Rondo critics and haters who can't wait to trade Rondo? We are waiting to hear from you.

Time Will Only Tell

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I love it. The Rondo haters are very quiet tonight.

However, we may have to admit that part of their argument is accurate - the Celtics are a much better team when he's aggressive rather than passive.  Imagine if he's as aggressive all the time the way he was tonight.  Imagine how easy it will all become for everyone else with his passing.  That's how he was last year.

Like last year, in the playoffs, I think we'll see more of the Rondo we saw today.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo Accelerates:
    [QUOTE]I love it. The Rondo haters are very quiet tonight. However, we may have to admit that part of their argument is accurate - the Celtics are a much better team when he's aggressive rather than passive.  Imagine if he's as aggressive all the time the way he was tonight.  Imagine how easy it will all become for everyone else with his passing.  That's how he was last year. Like last year, in the playoffs, I think we'll see more of the Rondo we saw today.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you said. I think he will step it up in the playoffs. It's just impossible to play 82 regular season games without messing-up in somes games. But I trust Rondo. He will step it up in the playoffs.

Time Will Only Tell

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

When he does good he's the best PG and when he makes a mistake he's the worst.... rules of the board

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

The team is better,when Rondo is passing more and shooting less. Todays game a prime example as they didn't make it to 100. 

They had a pathletic 43 at halftime,and are much better,when he is setting up guys and they hit their shots.
    He can score,but they are better,when everyone does their job.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

rondo may be able to do some things.  willing to do them?  not very often.  i think this is the second time he's scored over 20 this year... that does not make him an elite point guard.  it makes him a timely performance and a GOOD START on what he should be doing most nights in this league- shredding inferior oppositions.

mighty mouse is just that, a mouse on defense who doesn't like playing good defense and rondo took him to the wood shed tonight.  a good game.  but don't sit on your fake laurels and pretend he does this all the time like he should.  it doesn't even sound right- when you pound your chest there's a hollow sound on this one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

I belive Rondo had or has an inury that slowed him down..He was'nt penetrating like he did today..and when he does that, he has more confidence in his shot selection..even with an injury, he showed up and played through it..most guys probably call in sick at work with a paper cut...the very same people calling KG a girl last year...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

He may not be the best point guard in the league, but he has to be one of the toughest players i have ever seen!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

We win Rondo is good
    We lose Rondo is bad

I look forward to these discussions continuing until Rondo time in Boston ends.

For the record I hope that is a long time away - go RR

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

I posted earlier this week that Rondo keeps puttin on the breaks on fast breaks....today he attacked the hoop. Just look at the results when he does attack. Good win Cs. Get well Marquise!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Welcome back my friend!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Hi Ski,
         Good to see ya posting again. I like your post about Rondo. Come visit more often.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]I love it. The Rondo haters are very quiet tonight. However, we may have to admit that part of their argument is accurate - the Celtics are a much better team when he's aggressive rather than passive.  Imagine if he's as aggressive all the time the way he was tonight.  Imagine how easy it will all become for everyone else with his passing.  That's how he was last year. Like last year, in the playoffs, I think we'll see more of the Rondo we saw today.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

If he did this everygame he would get injured. Did you see how many times he hit the floor?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

I dont really care much about Rondo scoring ability as long as wer'e winning, I always expect him to lock down his man and he did it tonight against Nelson.If He can make the life of his counter part miserable we always win the game, however if his counter part got loose most of the time we lost the game. Two contrasting things about the Dallas and Boston games. The first meeting Rondo took a shot in the dying seconds and we lost, in the second meeting its his counter part J-Kidd who got the chance towards the end of the game and we all know the result. However, the most important part of the NBA season is in the playoff and the championship where Rajon "The Ranger" Rondo must show up his overall game, and hopefully those setbacks will be reversed. 

"No Body Does it Better than the Boston Celtics"

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Lots of good points here many agreeable.  Hi, old friends.

Just to clarify I don't claim Rondo is the best point guard in the league just the best one in the league to run this Celtics team.  I would not trade him for any other player straight up in his position because of his leadership and his rapport with Doc and his teammates and his understanding of Celtic's basketball as defined by this team.

I also think that too much of the criticism he gets is over-stated and undeserved.  Every player could improve till reaching perfection but none ever has.  Why expect Rondo to be perfect or near perfect. 

Rondo has a unique set of skills that no one else in the league has.  His shooting will improve both from the floor and from the line.

Over an 82 game season he just can't lay it all out there every night but must pick his spots which is what we saw last night.  We need him healthy and fresh for the playoffs, and maybe, just maybe, Doc got that through Rondo's thick skull.

I understand some people get exasperated with Rondo and expect his every game to be without mistakes of any type, but com'on we get to watch a future Hall of Famer develop and grow up right before our eyes. 

What's not to like about that?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]I posted earlier this week that Rondo keeps puttin on the breaks on fast breaks....today he attacked the hoop. Just look at the results when he does attack. Good win Cs. Get well Marquise!
    Posted by walk2run[/QUOTE]

I was critical of Rondo last week as well because he hasnt been doing the things he did against the Magic.  When he is aggressive offensively it opens things up for everyone.  There is no one in this league that he cant do this against and I would like to see this kind of play on a more consistent basis.  If he has nagging knee problems then I get why he cant but sure was good to see the aggressive going to the hoop Rondo.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]It's clear that Rondo remains the best point guard, of all the point guards in the league, when it comes to a point guard capable of effectively running this Celtic's team. After today's performance against the Magic, it's clear Rondo is able to do whatever is necessary to win, be it scoring the ball or dishing the ball.  Even though he had "only" 8 assists today, to go with his 26 points, a rebound, and a steal, he beat the Magic on at least 5 more passes that would have been assists if the Magic hadn't committed intentional fouls. And toughness?  What point guard in the league is tougher. Obviously, a rhetorical question because the answer is no one. I loved the way Rondo "handled" KG when Turkoglu pushed KG out of bounds and KG was about to jump up and get himself a technical.  Rondo said something to KG to diffuse his intentions and make him laugh and KG put his arm around Rondo's shoulder and laughed with him as he walked to the free throw line. That's leadership. We witnessed a great game out of Rondo today.  It's been a pleasure to watch Rondo grow as a player and as a leader.  I wouldn't trade him for any point guard in the league at this time.  I think Rondo is about as perfect as we can get when it comes to a point guard to run this Celtic's team.  Is he a perfect point guard . . . not by a long shot . . . does he make mistakes . . .  well,  don't you.   Give me Rondo for C's point guard, I'll take him over any other.  Call me a hapless homer and an emotional fan, true, true, true, but what I see is a future Hall of Famer, our guy going forward to lead us to another title, one that ain't tainted.

So he has what the best point guards in the league would call an average day and he is declared the best in the league.

Just so I understand, a point guard that can take shots and make them may have fewer assists..... wow so maybe he would be kind of like all of the other point guards who get 20 points and 8 assists on any given night.  Shoot more, score more, and get fewer assists, seems like what John Wall does every night, seems like what Derick Rose does everynight, etc. etc. etc.

I found it interesting when Rondo sat down with his two fouls Nate entered and Mark Jackson said "this will be a much tougher lineup for Orlando to contend with because everyone on the floor can score and you can just leave Nate open like they do with Rondo"......

It could not possibly occur to anyone that Orlando's coach said KG, Pierce, and Allen will not beat us today - let Rondo do whatever he wants just don't allow the other 3 to go crazy...... crazy I know, could not even consider that possibility... right

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

p.s. regarding Rondo being the best point guard in the league able to run this team...... um no other point guards run this team so by definition Rondo does indeed remain the best point guard to run the team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I love it when Rondo attacks the basket but it would be nuts to expect him to play like that all 82+ games. As it is, he gets knocked around more than any point guard in the league. It isn't unusual for him to be sprawled on the floor under the basket after driving to the hoop. He looks pretty beat up to me at the moment, and if we want him fresh for the playoffs, we can't expect him to play with abandon every time out. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE] I love it when Rondo attacks the basket but it would be nuts to expect him to play like that all 82+ games. As it is, he gets knocked around more than any point guard in the league. It isn't unusual for him to be sprawled on the floor under the basket after driving to the hoop. He looks pretty beat up to me at the moment, and if we want him fresh for the playoffs, we can't expect him to play with abandon every time out. 
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

rondo does get knocked around some.  he has a smallish frame and weight.  however, to suggest he not play "with abandon" every time out is almost comical.  he played a great game yesterday- took what was there and got a lot of easy points, hit his shots, did a great job. 

but i don't think he's done that but a handful of other times this season, a season marked by unprecedented passivity by rondo, largely brought on by his obvious fear / dislike of shooting free throws.

rondo should play "like he did yesterday" 1/3 to 1/2 games the year.  driving the ball, drawing contact, creating havoc in not only tempo but how the opposing D is forced to react to him. 

so he's done this resoundingly once this season, maybe 5 times total.  i don't think there's any danger of him playing with this abandon every night.

all outward appearances are that rondo is taking the "veteran all star" approach (like twon) to working hard at his game- nailing down the free throw and jumper.  twon's efficiencies and FT accuracy trailed off as his career went on. 

rondo has started that trajectory of trailing off already with his free throw and i hope it does not continue.  he'll need a miracle to reverse the trend this season, but if he keeps going like he has been the last week, he might do it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Rondo Accelerates : So he has what the best point guards in the league would call an average day and he is declared the best in the league. Just so I understand, a point guard that can take shots and make them may have fewer assists..... wow so maybe he would be kind of like all of the other point guards who get 20 points and 8 assists on any given night.  Shoot more, score more, and get fewer assists, seems like what John Wall does every night, seems like what Derick Rose does every night, etc. etc. etc. I found it interesting when Rondo sat down with his two fouls Nate entered and Mark Jackson said "this will be a much tougher lineup for Orlando to contend with because everyone on the floor can score and you can just leave Nate open like they do with Rondo"...... It could not possibly occur to anyone that Orlando's coach said KG, Pierce, and Allen will not beat us today - let Rondo do whatever he wants just don't allow the other 3 to go crazy...... crazy I know, could not even consider that possibility... right
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

-

I don't know what the arguement is here. 

That Rondo is a lousy point guard? 

Or that Rondo is over-rated?

That the the C's should seek to trade him? 

Or that the fans who do like him and appreciate his game and his contributions are a bunch of blind know-nothings? 

Or is it that you just don't like him as a player so you ignore the positive things he brings and accentuate the negative aspects of his skill set?

So he has what the best point guards in the league would call an average day and he is declared the best in the league.

I don't see where anyone on this thread claimed Rondo is the best in the league.  I think comparing point guards is futile, but most basketball people put Rondo among the handful of elite point guards in the NBA.  Can we agree on that, or would you put Rondo below "elite" status?

Just so I understand, a point guard that can take shots and make them may have fewer assists..... wow so maybe he would be kind of like all of the other point guards who get 20 points and 8 assists on any given night.  Shoot more, score more, and get fewer assists, seems like what John Wall does every night, seems like what Derick Rose does everynight, etc. etc. etc.

The coaches named Rondo to the All Star team.  Rondo leads a team with a 38 - 12 record, and I don't see Wall or Rose leading their team to the finals which is where most expect the Celtics to end up. 

Rondo plays within the game plan and according to Doc's vision of Celtic basketball.  Doc is not asking Rondo to go 15 - 20 pts and 10 assists per night.  That should be obvious to most astute observers.  A good point guard looks to dish first and for his shot second according to the conventional wisdom of sages like Cousy and Heinsohn.

I found it interesting when Rondo sat down with his two fouls Nate entered and Mark Jackson said "this will be a much tougher lineup for Orlando to contend with because everyone on the floor can score and you can just leave Nate open like they do with Rondo"......

If MJ said that, then I'm sorry, it doesn't make sense . . . "leave Nate open like they do with Rondo" . . . ?  Love MJ, best of that sorry crew, but his comments are mostly hit and miss, for the most part, in my opinion.

It could not possibly occur to anyone that Orlando's coach said KG, Pierce, and Allen will not beat us today - let Rondo do whatever he wants just don't allow the other 3 to go crazy...... crazy I know, could not even consider that possibility... right

I rather highly doubt that their game plan was to leave Rondo alone, and if it was it was a very sorry game-plan as they lost big-time and virtually came unglued on national TV.  Some plan, huh?

Rather, part of their game plan was to stick like glue to Paul and Ray and limit the damage from these two guys but they never intended to leave anyone alone.

Rondo simply took advantage of their defense, taking what was given him with in the flow of the game.

Some things are unarguable:

Rondo is an All Star.

Rondo leads the C's in minutes played, 37.3.

Rondo averages 11 pts per game (10.9)

Rondo averages 12.4 assists per game.

Rondo averages 4.3 rebounds per game.

Rondo averages 2.4 steals per game.

Rondo shoots 51.6% from the floor.

Rondo leads the C's in PER (Player Efficiency Rating) with 18.8.

Rondo: toughest point guard in the league (takes a licking and keep on ticking).

Rondo leads a team with the outsize personalities and egos of four certified Hall of Famers.

Rondo plays hurt (and sometimes we don't even know it).

-

Yes, Rondo had a bad road trip, has had some bad games, but we are where we are because of the team we have, and Rondo is the floor general of our team, that is 38 - 12, last time I checked.

Well, I'm sure all the GM wanna-Be's and arm-chair coaches could find us a better point guard or get better use out of Rondo than Doc and Danny are getting, but I highly doubt it.  Not from what I've read here.

That's just my opinion of course, but I'm sticking to it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Welcome back, RR.
    You forgot to mention 7-9 FTs.

AK

Sections
Shortcuts