Rondo all defensive team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Rondo all defensive team?

Rondo holds himself responsible for not stopping dribble penetrations, and it’s becoming more of an issue, especially against some of the game’s elite guards. Friday night, Rondo gets another difficult assignment in Westbrook.

“We’re making the same mistakes,” he said. “We’ve just got to do a better job of focusing at shootarounds in the mornings when we’re given an assignment.

“It’s a collective team effort. It starts with me. I’ve got to do a better job of pick-and-roll coverage and help the bigs rebound.

Come on, has been going on long time. Ive posted many times that Rondo may be the worse PG ever fighting thru picks.. to me he usually seems like he doesnt even try.  He also isnt much better stopping penetration with his standard swipe from behind attempt as his opponent breezes by him.

THis is one of the major issues with the Celtic defense being vulnerable imo. Causing switching and our bigs to leave their opponent to help out..

Look, its hard for any guard to stop a good opposing guard from penetrating all the time, as well as fighting through all the picks... everyone can play in this league but Rondo seems to have perfected it.. For years hes been a poor defender imo but heaped praise by the NBA et al for all his steals etc... making all defensive teams too.. 

Is this just a stat award or do people actually watch him play defense??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Re: Rondo all defensive team?

Kobe was in the all defense team 2 years ago. In that year he would have earned a spot in the all-no-defense team first. The most important factors for this all XYZ teams are reputation and stats...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Rondo on the all defensive team....for what league?    Opposing guards LOVE to see Rondo come to town now.  They know that he'll play matador defense and they can drive at will!

Good post, Karl.  Agree with all your points.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

weird that in interviews with elite pg's, when asked who the toughest guards to play against are, Rondo continually comes up. But of course, you guys sitting at home know way more than those on the court being defended, and also know more than the coaches and executives that watch hours and hours of game film and are on a basketball court watching games every other day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

About Rondo's defense, i do think he allows guards to get past alot, but i dont think its bc he CANT play defense. ive seen Rondo square up and play better than excellent on ball defense. i think that the scheme that we run allows Rondo to do this. Note that it isnt only Rondo that roams on D, PP does, KG does, they all do. It just seems more extreme bc pg's penetrate and are quicker, it looks worse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to JamezHill24's comment:
    [QUOTE]

About Rondo's defense, i do think he allows guards to get past alot, but i dont think its bc he CANT play defense. ive seen Rondo square up and play better than excellent on ball defense. i think that the scheme that we run allows Rondo to do this. Note that it isnt only Rondo that roams on D, PP does, KG does, they all do. It just seems more extreme bc pg's penetrate and are quicker, it looks worse.

[/QUOTE]

Of course he CAN play on ball defense better.  The issue is that he DOESN'T.

And we folks at home have a valid opinion.  I'd love for you to provide some links that suggest the other guards say Rondo is one of the best defenders they play against (not that he's difficult to guard - but that he guards better than most other guards).   Please.....show me the links!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Interesting article.

Link: http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2012/11/rajon_rondo_of_boston_celtics_1.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]

weird that in interviews with elite pg's, when asked who the toughest guards to play against are, Rondo continually comes up. But of course, you guys sitting at home know way more than those on the court being defended, and also know more than the coaches and executives that watch hours and hours of game film and are on a basketball court watching games every other day.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

The truth is somewhere in between - Rondo is not a great defender and does not deserve to be on the all defensive team. He's also not as bad as Karllost imagines, but Karl is right that the awards are not valid - the award makers are too persuaded by steals. 

That said, when Bradley is playing on the ball defense Rondo complements him very well and raises his intensity as well. Great team defense is largely about that kind of intensity that the group challenges each other too. So it's also about schemes and lineups and so forth. 

"weird that in interviews with elite pg's, when asked who the toughest guards to play against are, Rondo continually comes up"

I'd like to see a link or two for that, specifically an elite point guard citing Rondo's defense. Russel Westbrook was certainly not intimidated by Rondo last night. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to breaktime's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Interesting article.

Link: http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2012/11/rajon_rondo_of_boston_celtics_1.html

[/QUOTE]

This is the kind of article I see more often.  I've NEVER seen an article where an elite point guard said Rondo was a great on balbe defender against them.  Never.  Would love to See a link on that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Which guards in the East would you have put on the all defensive team instead of Rondo?

With guards like Parker and Westbrook, if they want to get 30 their getting 30, nothing Rondo or any other guard can do about it. They are just too good offensively to stop. Who on the Celtics has played good defense this year? I would say Rondo's defense has been better than any other Celtic including KG so far this season!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Opinions vary.  I think RR is a top 5 PG.  As far a defense,  its basically basically based on steals.  Our guards for the most part don't stop any penetration.  I would rather watch the other team shoot outside with a hand in their face than penetrate and either get a layup or some other player gets a open shot because the Celtic that is suppose to guard him is helping our guards out.  We can find faults with every player we have.  PP forcing the issue,  KG won't play inside,  Bass won't rebound.  I guarantee I can find the same thing with opposing players.  Look at it from the other side.  If your read our posts from the OKC game you would get a different take than this. (which is from OKC website)

Something to think about from Haralabos Voulgaris: “I’d much rather have someone that attacks to score like Russ vs. a guy who attacks for 17 foot assist attempts.”

Westbrook’s first quarter: 3-4, eight points, five assists, four rebounds, one turnover. His next three quarters: 7-17, 18 points, three assists, three rebounds, four turnovers.

Rajon Rondo with his 36th consecutive 10+ assist game. I’m not going to say that Rondo is not a tremendous, outstanding player, but let me say this: His assisting is incredible and there’s no denying he’s an unreal point guard. But shouldn’t players be evaluated to a degree by what kind of team offense they help produce? Make what you will about Westbrook, but he’s running one of the NBA’s very best offenses. Boston’s is mid-pack, if that. Point is, when you’re judging Westbrook this season, I think it might be wise to start with the Thunder’s offensive efficiency. I think that might tell the best story about his season.  (of course they don't remember how efficient our offense was last year)

• OKC’s closeouts on Paul Pierce were embarrassingly bad tonight. The Thunder consistently fell asleep or lazily contested as Pierce just punished them from outside. Pierce was spectacular, no doubt, but he can make open looks when he doesn’t have a hand in his face. 
    •  I’m already wondering about a deadline trade and griping about Westbrook. That’s just how it goes.
    • . Instead, Russ put up a decent 10-foot look in the paint, which he made. Two points, high fives, yay.

But you could see the body language from Martin after Westbrook released it. He went from having his hands up ready to receive a pass to immediately dropping them to his sides. He resisted shaking his head, probably because Westbrook’s shot went in. Now, don’t misunderstand: Russell Westbrook played a very good game.

Its just fans and they way they percieve things.  If all our guys played perfect we would win 82 games.  The key is improving on what Rondo does,  KG does, PP does, and so on.

Westbrook was trying to outdo Rondo by scoring, which he did.   Rondo to his credit didn't start forcing shots to get his.  He kept running the offense and getting everyone involved.  Defense,   yes it needs to improve.

Michael Jordan  is still laughing about Kome being all defense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Which guards in the East would you have put on the all defensive team instead of Rondo?

With guards like Parker and Westbrook, if they want to get 30 their getting 30, nothing Rondo or any other guard can do about it. They are just too good offensively to stop. Who on the Celtics has played good defense this year? I would say Rondo's defense has been better than any other Celtic including KG so far this season!!

[/QUOTE]

DWill, Wade, George Hill, and Felton are all better defenders than Rondo.  I'm not saying they are better PLAYERS but certainly better defenders.  Rondo has a lot of strengths, but I don't have blinders on enough to think that because he makes some steals that he's a better defender.   If they kept a stat for how many times your man blew by you to break down your team's defense, my guess is that Rondo would not rank well on that list!

Also, what games have you been watching to think Rondo's D is better than KG?   Are you kidding?   Heck, Lee and Terry have played better D than Rondo!   Wow - we must be watching a different game when we watch the C's and I see our team have problem with pick and roll.   Rondo never foces his man to the proper place for help on the pick and roll.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

And the sad part about it is that when Rondo puts his mind to it, he can and is a great on ball defender.  He just doesn't try very often.   Come playoff time, he tries to change that and that's one of several reasons we do better late in the season and in the playoffs - he gets more focused on what Doc's asked him to do and gambles less.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to Celtsfan4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

DWill, Wade, George Hill, and Felton are all better defenders than Rondo.  I'm not saying they are better PLAYERS but certainly better defenders.  Rondo has a lot of strengths, but I don't have blinders on enough to think that because he makes some steals that he's a better defender.   If they kept a stat for how many times your man blew by you to break down your team's defense, my guess is that Rondo would not rank well on that list!

Also, what games have you been watching to think Rondo's D is better than KG?   Are you kidding?   Heck, Lee and Terry have played better D than Rondo!   Wow - we must be watching a different game when we watch the C's and I see our team have problem with pick and roll.   Rondo never foces his man to the proper place for help on the pick and roll.

[/QUOTE] Dwill didn't play last year, and is not even close to a good defender, Felton was in a different conference last year, and is no where close to Rondo as a defender!!  Wade and hill, now you're trying to be funny!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Dwill didn't play last year, and is not even close to a good defender, Felton was in a different conference last year, and is no where close to Rondo as a defender!!  Wade and hill, now you're trying to be funny!!

[/QUOTE]

You said "which guards in the East".  You didn't say....they had to play in the Easin last year.  They play in the EAST now!  I have the NBA pass and I watch gemes every night.  All 4 are better defenders on the ball than Rondo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[/QUOTE]

You said "which guards in the East".  You didn't say....they had to play in the lasts last year.  They play in the EAST now!  I have the NBA pass and I watch gemes every night.  All 4 are better defenders on the ball than Rondo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You said "which guards in the East".  You didn't say....they had to play in the lasts last year.  They play in the EAST now!  I have the NBA pass and I watch gemes every night.  All 4 are better defenders on the ball than Rondo.

[/QUOTE] Pretty hard to put them on the East all defensive team, when they didn't play in the East!!  Now i you're a very knowledgeable poster, and you know when Rondo wants to play defense, those guys are not as good as Rondo is!!

I think our defense has been so bad so far this season, it's making Rondo's defense look worse than what it actually is!  I'm more concerned about his offense than i am about his defense. Assists are overrated, no one guards him outside of 8ft. and he can't have the ball in his hands at the end of games, because of his free throw shooting, That puts a lot of pressure on the other players to be able to score!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

lol. NONE of the guards you named are better defenders than Rondo. If you wanna say AB, fine. Thabo Sefolosha(spellcheck)? fine. Raymond Felton? seriously. 

also, i never said i read articles on Rondo. i said in interviews, meaning ive watched it on tv. I could go fishing on Youtube for a couple hours, but honestly i have better things to do. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

anyways, i made sure to watch closely the defense of the C's as a whole and came to a couple conclusions:

a. We switch more than most teams in the league do

b. Rondo is not the only guy who roams, the whole team does. Its more noticeable bc he is at the top of the key and is the one guarding the primary ball handler most of the time.

c. Our defense hasnt fully been picked up by the new guys yet, so when someone goes by Rondo, there are times there is supposed to be a guy there either showing or there to stop the guy, and he isnt there. This is why where our problems lie defensively.

watch when we play a team like the Heat or Knicks, where Lebron or Melo is the primary ball handler. You will see PP have a similar look defensively as far as looking weak, bc we roam so much it looks like the guy is easily blowing past our guy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Not that I put a lot of stock in all defensive teams but how many defensive teams have DWill, Wade, George Hill, and Felton  made.    The list a a joke. Wade may have gotten on one via the way Kome has. His rep.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]

anyways, i made sure to watch closely the defense of the C's as a whole and came to a couple conclusions:

a. We switch more than most teams in the league do

b. Rondo is not the only guy who roams, the whole team does. Its more noticeable bc he is at the top of the key and is the one guarding the primary ball handler most of the time.

c. Our defense hasnt fully been picked up by the new guys yet, so when someone goes by Rondo, there are times there is supposed to be a guy there either showing or there to stop the guy, and he isnt there. This is why where our problems lie defensively.

watch when we play a team like the Heat or Knicks, where Lebron or Melo is the primary ball handler. You will see PP have a similar look defensively as far as looking weak, bc we roam so much it looks like the guy is easily blowing past our guy.

[/QUOTE]

We maybe switch more than most teams out of necessity by virtue of dribble penetration by opposing guards..... Our problems arent only because our bits arent showing or getting confused, once again it all starts with our guard being blown by or unable/unwilling to fight thru a pick, thats where it starts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not that I put a lot of stock in all defensive teams but how many defensive teams have DWill, Wade, George Hill, and Felton  made.    The list a a joke. Wade may have gotten on one via the way Kome has. His rep.

[/QUOTE]

The "all defensive team" is subjective its ridiculous.  Some times they put too much faith in steals.  When Rondo was creating havoc with his steals, that over came his being beat off the dribble.  When was the last time you saw him wreak havoc with steals, however?  Everyone knows he's going to let you go and try to steal it.  So, if WE know it, the players do too!  So he gets beat a lot.  Watch the other games and you'll see these other guards stay in front of their man and fight over picks harder to reduce the amount of switching that has to be done.  That's my definition of better D.  They may not have a better rep because they don't gamble for steals, but they play better fundamental defense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True that!

As Always,

CELTICS RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JamLock

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

i guess my biggest question is, why are we making negative posts about the brightest member of our team so far this season? Rondo is playing spectacular basketball, averaging 14, 14 and 5. Why are we STILL nitpicking? I think i would understand if i saw threads about all members of our team, but it doesnt make much sense when you only continuously see negative threads based towards the guy who has easily been the best player on the C's this season. Puzzling.