Rondo and other PG's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

Re: Rondo and other PG's

In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's:
    Rondo actually played like he cared tonight. Good things happen when he is in attack mode. FINALLY!!! The C's beat the Knicks w/o Amare and Mr. Big Shot... but that wasn't the C's doing. I'm amazed that the game was still up for grabs with seconds remaining. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

umm...hes always in attack mode in the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

^^^^^^^^^^^Exactly

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's : LOL 30, 7, 4, 2
    Posted by b126962

In the last 20 or so years the following teams have won championships.... Lakers 5, Spurs 5, Bulls 6.... so 16 of the last 20 or so nobody could even name the point guards........  the best point guards to win championship in the last 20 years are Billups and Parker........ point guards are really important aren't they?...................  Fisher has a ton and nobody cares who he is, Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe, and Tim Duncan have carried any number of irrelevant point guards to championships just as the BIG 3 did 3 years ago..... now somehow some idiots think Rondo will carry the BIG 3 to a title......  down goes the Green in round 2 against a team without a point guard.... stunner...... or wait... the best point guard in the league - LeBron James.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's : In the last 20 or so years the following teams have won championships.... Lakers 5, Spurs 5, Bulls 6.... so 16 of the last 20 or so nobody could even name the point guards........  the best point guards to win championship in the last 20 years are Billups and Parker........ point guards are really important aren't they?...................  Fisher has a ton and nobody cares who he is, Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe, and Tim Duncan have carried any number of irrelevant point guards to championships just as the BIG 3 did 3 years ago..... now somehow some idiots think Rondo will carry the BIG 3 to a title......  down goes the Green in round 2 against a team without a point guard.... stunner...... or wait... the best point guard in the league - LeBron James.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

And this has nothing to do with this entire thread, besides the fact that you don't like point guards....

Not sure why you posted.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's : In the last 20 or so years the following teams have won championships.... Lakers 5, Spurs 5, Bulls 6.... so 16 of the last 20 or so nobody could even name the point guards........  the best point guards to win championship in the last 20 years are Billups and Parker........ point guards are really important aren't they?...................  Fisher has a ton and nobody cares who he is, Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, Kobe, and Tim Duncan have carried any number of irrelevant point guards to championships just as the BIG 3 did 3 years ago..... now somehow some idiots think Rondo will carry the BIG 3 to a title......  down goes the Green in round 2 against a team without a point guard.... stunner...... or wait... the best point guard in the league - LeBron James.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

fisher, rondo, parker, j. williams/payton, billups, avery johnson, ron harper/steve kerr, kenny smith/sam cassel, bj armstrong, paxson.

your nba champion point guards of the last 20 years. an inspiring list, no?

of these I'd say only billups was better than rondo.

I'm not saying rondo will carry us to a title, that's ridiculous. basketball is a team sport.

what is ridiculous is saying that we can't win a title with rondo at the helm. we already have once. the only difference now is that rondo is our 3rd best player, not our 4th

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

What Rondo did Tues night, is just like what he does so often IN BIG GAMES, and like what other great Celtics players have done so often, in a tradition/philosopy founded by Russel and exemplified these days by Pierce, Ray and  KG:  Rondo did what was needed for the Celtics to win the game.  It is not often that the Cs need 30  points from Rondo ...  but they did on Tues.     That is what makes him a GREAT CELTIC and if he keeps it up, A GREAT NBA POINT GUARD.    This playoff season will not be lost because of Rondo's  play...   he will come up big in many more games than he comes up short,,,,   (every player has off games... even in a playoff championship run)     If the Celts lose it will be because JO gets hurt or can't play at a respecatable level for the duration of the playoffs, and or becasue shaq can't get back from his injury.    Rondo has proven again and again that he knows how to play to help the Celtics win the big games.             And that is what is so frustrating about the Rondo haters and Rondo stat hounds and "Rondo  is a second tier / 14th best  NBA point guard"  pin heads who pollute this board with their fantasy stat evaluations and their inane "trade Rondo" mumblings.                      
    Let Rondo be Rondo and appreciate the blessing.    

Let's take the Knicks in four and get a good long rest for our geriatric other starting 4.                              

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

What Rondo did Tues night, is just like what he does so often IN BIG GAMES, and like what other great Celtics players have done so often, in a tradition/philosopy founded by Russel and exemplified these days by Pierce, Ray and  KG:  Rondo did what was needed for the Celtics to win the game.  It is not often that the Cs need 30  points from Rondo ...  but they did on Tues.     That is what makes him a GREAT CELTIC and if he keeps it up, A GREAT NBA POINT GUARD.    This playoff season will not be lost because of Rondo's  play...   he will come up big in many more games than he comes up short,,,,   (every player has off games... even in a playoff championship run)     If the Celts lose it will be because JO gets hurt or can't play at a respecatable level for the duration of the playoffs, and or becasue shaq can't get back from his injury.    Rondo has proven again and again that he knows how to play to help the Celtics win the big games.             And that is what is so frustrating about the Rondo haters and Rondo stat hounds and "Rondo  is a second tier / 14th best  NBA point guard"  pin heads who pollute this board with their fantasy stat evaluations and their inane "trade Rondo" mumblings.                       Let Rondo be Rondo and appreciate the blessing.     Let's take the Knicks in four and get a good long rest for our geriatric other starting 4.                              
    Posted by videoburns

Well said... videoburns. 

Rondo can be quite a "blessing" when he isn't "bored" and decides to "play" rather than "sulk".

Indeed let Rondo be Rondo! Are you perhaps Rondo's agent?

P.S. True.. the C's don't need 30 from Rondo every game... but they could certainly use more than a measly 10, given the sagging defenses and wide open looks he routinely gets, while his defender doubles one of our shooters, don'tcha think?

Don'tcha?

P.P.S..... Its spelled Russell, not Russel... thank you.

Pud

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from j24m1. Show j24m1's posts

Jee wiz.. Rondo overall is a top 10 PG minimum.. why would his peers and coaches help get him to the all star game if he wasnt..? 

I saw those rankings on CBS, if his FT was normal he would be top 5. They also can't quantify defense or the ability to "quarterback" and offense.

His FT sucks, his jumper sucks.. If he shot like half the top guys, he would #2 behind rose easy.

I appreciate having Rondo and he is probably the best fit around 3 great scoring guys. You put a Paul or another shooting PG with the Celtics and it may not balance the way it does. Don't be so sure there is a better PG to play with these guys. In a couple years, it may look different. For now, he is a great fit. 

And get over the poor stretch. It happens. The guy cant shoot. This is quite common with players that have over-sized hands. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

correctamundo, j24m1. but folks here have been conditioned* to dislike rondo. generally speaking, they not only don't like him -- they don't want to like him. the good news is that there is quality entertainment here in watching the more vocal detractors backpedal as rondo gets on a roll, which he is prone to do in the playoffs. 

* for example, see those 1779 posts since 1/10 from the poster above you? you can be certain that well over 1600 of them are rondo bashing since last june. that sort of overzealous negativity takes a toll on an impressionable forum membership. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Jee wiz.. Rondo overall is a top 10 PG minimum.. why would his peers and coaches help get him to the all star game if he wasnt..?  I saw those rankings on CBS, if his FT was normal he would be top 5. They also can't quantify defense or the ability to "quarterback" and offense. His FT sucks, his jumper sucks.. If he shot like half the top guys, he would #2 behind rose easy. I appreciate having Rondo and he is probably the best fit around 3 great scoring guys. You put a Paul or another shooting PG with the Celtics and it may not balance the way it does. Don't be so sure there is a better PG to play with these guys. In a couple years, it may look different. For now, he is a great fit.  And get over the poor stretch. It happens. The guy cant shoot. This is quite common with players that have over-sized hands. 
    Posted by j24m1

Odd isn't it that Rondo cursed with the over-sized hands can shoot reportedly lights out in practice/shootarounds but has real trouble in game situations.

Confidence maybe??? Seems likely!

BTW... all NBA players have over-sized hands... except maybe Spud, Mugsy, Boykins and one or two others diminutive BB-playing types.

That's no excuse.

Pud

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

Posted by TheDUDDER

What does that have to do with anything that I said? When Rondo isn't amazing like he was the other night, you complain of how horrid he is, but when he has a good game, it doens't matter because no team with a good pg has won a championship in the last 20 years? Pick which one you're going with.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's : What does that have to do with anything that I said? When Rondo isn't amazing like he was the other night, you complain of how horrid he is, but when he has a good game, it doens't matter because no team with a good pg has won a championship in the last 20 years? Pick which one you're going with.
    Posted by b126962

Seems to me that Dudder is suggesting that a good game by Rondo is a good game by Rondo and that matters as does a good game by any player.

But PGs rarely carry teams to championships.

So temper the expectation... DRose perhaps not withstanding.

Pud

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's : Well said... videoburns.  Rondo can be quite a "blessing" when he isn't "bored" and decides to "play" rather than "sulk". Indeed let Rondo be Rondo! Are you perhaps Rondo's agent? P.S. True.. the C's don't need 30 from Rondo every game... but they could certainly use more than a measly 10, given the sagging defenses and wide open looks he routinely gets, while his defender doubles one of our shooters, don'tcha think? Don'tcha? P.P.S..... Its spelled Russell, not Russel... thank you. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

You are quite right ....   about the spelling mistake I made. I often make spelling mistakes..   its a life long problem... on top of that I make typos.      Thank you. In my 8th grade testing they told me I was spelling at a 4th grade level...   but my math and reading comprehension was 12 grade level...   go figure.   My math hasn't improved much since then but no one really notices...  spelling is another story...  not much improvement ... but people notice...      I wouldn't digress into such self centered trivia except that it actually has something to do with Rondo...   My odd mental profile is typical in kids with moderate to severe ADHD...   And yes thats my arm chair diagnosis of Rondo.  I do think Rondo is a classic ADHD kid...   who's brain is not fully awake unless the stakes are high and adreniline is pumping. He is obviously intellegent,   although not particularly verbal,  has superior "spatial reasoning" ... again a common trait among ADHD kids.      Some  "Evolutionary psychologists" hold that ADHD is not a disease at all but in fact a set of powerfully  adaptive traits for individuals in the roles of hunters and warriors.    Those for whom it may be beneficial to save their energy and brain power during the everyday humdrum ...  so thay can have it available for the heat of battle or the climax of the hunt.  
    I don't have proper credentials to make such a diagnosis,   as I could never sit still in a classroom long enough earn the credits.     But...   almost everything I've seen him say or do, his language, his demeanor, his actions, his body language..    resonates with my experiance of ADHD...   (minus the actual atheletic ability).     And yes the fragmented, distorted image we get through the media may in fact have little connection to the real Rondo....  so I could be all wrong...    but hey, its all we have to go on so... that's my theory and I'm sticking with it.    I want Rondo playin for every high stakes game.  let him rest, or better yet, take a vaction when we play Washington and Memphis.

But....   a measly 10 is PLENTY if he gets 15 assists 7 rebounds and 2 steals.     Cause if he gets 15 assists it pretty much means that the sagging defense is ineffective in countering his vision and passing.    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's : You are quite right ....   about the spelling mistake I made. I often make spelling mistakes..   its a life long problem... on top of that I make typos.      Thank you. In my 8th grade testing they told me I was spelling at a 4th grade level...   but my math and reading comprehension was 12 grade level...   go figure.   My math hasn't improved much since then but no one really notices...  spelling is another story...  not much improvement ... but people notice...      I wouldn't digress into such self centered trivia except that it actually has something to do with Rondo...   My odd mental profile is typical in kids with moderate to severe ADHD...   And yes thats my arm chair diagnosis of Rondo.  I do think Rondo is a classic ADHD kid...   who's brain is not fully awake unless the stakes are high and adreniline is pumping. He is obviously intellegent,   although not particularly verbal,  has superior "spatial reasoning" ... again a common trait among ADHD kids.      Some  "Evolutionary psychologists" hold that ADHD is not a disease at all but in fact a set of powerfully  adaptive traits for individuals in the roles of hunters and warriors.    Those for whom it may be beneficial to save their energy and brain power during the everyday humdrum ...  so thay can have it available for the heat of battle or the climax of the hunt.   I don't have proper credentials to make such a diagnosis,   as I could never sit still in a classroom long enough earn the credits.     But...   almost everything I've seen him say or do, his language, his demeanor, his actions, his body language..    resonates with my experiance of ADHD...   (minus the actual atheletic ability).     And yes the fragmented, distorted image we get through the media may in fact have little connection to the real Rondo....  so I could be all wrong...    but hey, its all we have to go on so... that's my theory and I'm sticking with it.    I want Rondo playin for every high stakes game.  let him rest, or better yet, take a vaction when we play Washington and Memphis. But....   a measly 10 is PLENTY if he gets 15 assists 7 rebounds and 2 steals.     Cause if he gets 15 assists it pretty much means that the sagging defense is ineffective in countering his vision and passing.     .    
    Posted by videoburns

VideoB:

You give me lots to think about with your notions about ADHD. I'll get to that but....

If Rondo does not shoot his position, if he does not take what the defense gives him (wide open looks) and makes them pay, if he does not spread the floor for his teammates to give them spacing to go to work by having a suitable jumper and/or by  the willingness to take it to the rim and shoot FTs effectively, the team suffers because the scorers have to work doubly or triply hard to shake free to receive the pin point pass and then to score.

Its not fair (or necessary or advisable) to his aging future HOFer teammates for Rondo to have a far less than complete game as it  exacts a toll on them by burning them out as they try to cover for his deficiencies by picking up the scoring slack.

Similarly, if Rondo spaces out and does not defend his position and we've seen that a lot, his teammates have to try to cover for him, again having to work extra hard because Rondo can't or won't keep his man in front of him, leading to chaos on the back line.

IMHO, Rondo's head is not in the game at one or both ends of the court all too often. Boredom???? Short attention span? ADHD???? Dunno... but there is a price to be paid for that lack of focus/discipline/commitment.

I do not wish Adult ADHD on anyone. Lack of discipline, inattentiveness or lack of focus, lack of good judgment AKA impulsiveness.... and then the psychological problems that frequently accompany ADHD like depression or bipolar disorder... that's a tough "row to hoe."

Lastly.... Don't sweat the small stuff. Typos and misspelling are a fact of life. Fortunately we have spellcheckers at our disposal when posting at BDC to catch 95% of the goofs. (Look for the checkmark with the ABC above it in the banner below the writing space.)

That's the last thing I do before hitting the "Add your reply" button. Otherwise, my posts  might be virtually unreadable.

Pud

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's : VideoB: You give me lots to think about with your notions about ADHD. I'll get to that but.... If Rondo does not shoot his position, if he does not take what the defense gives him (wide open looks) and makes them pay, if he does not spread the floor for his teammates to give them spacing to go to work by having a suitable jumper and/or by  the willingness to take it to the rim and shoot FTs effectively, the team suffers because the scorers have to work doubly or triply hard to shake free to receive the pin point pass and then to score. Its not fair (or necessary or advisable) to his aging future HOFer teammates for Rondo to have a far less than complete game as it  exacts a toll on them by burning them out as they try to cover for his deficiencies by picking up the scoring slack. Similarly, if Rondo spaces out and does not defend his position and we've seen that a lot, his teammates have to try to cover for him, again having to work extra hard because Rondo can't or won't keep his man in front of him, leading to chaos on the back line. IMHO, Rondo's head is not in the game at one or both ends of the court all too often. Boredom???? Short attention span? ADHD???? Dunno... but there is a price to be paid for that lack of focus/discipline/commitment. I do not wish Adult ADHD on anyone. Lack of discipline, inattentiveness or lack of focus, lack of good judgment AKA impulsiveness.... and then the psychological problems that frequently accompany ADHD like depression or bipolar disorder... that's a tough "row to hoe." Lastly.... Don't sweat the small stuff. Typos and misspelling are a fact of life. Fortunately we have spellcheckers at our disposal when posting at BDC to catch 95% of the goofs. (Look for the checkmark with the ABC above it in the banner below the writing space.) That's the last thing I do before hitting the "Add your reply" button. Otherwise, my posts  might be virtually unreadable. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

the simple point is,    if he gets 15  assists  it means he is putting the ball in his team  mates hands in positions to make easy shots....      that the spacing is NOT a problem, that his teammates are NOT having to work extra hard to get shots etc.             AND   very much more often than not,  Rondo put up numbers like that in the most important , biggest games     against the toughest opponents.       His bad games tend to come agains lesser opponents in games that really don't matter much..        not always of course...   but everyone pitches a stinker now and then.    Still on balance Rondo is a special talent that helps the team win...  moreso that a more conventional PG would.

bb 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's : Posting from the fantasy league again dudder?  These stats also rate Darko milicek as a better center than Shaq, and Antwain Jamison as a better power forward than KG. why? Because they are fantasy league stats.
    Posted by jtkl

Just a simple wake up call for those of you that vastly overweight his strengths but cannot even recognize his weaknesses and how with 3 hall of famers the Cs may be a lot better off or at worst no worse off.......

Of course not something you can comprehend but at least something you could at least consider.

When you hear about a blind person you hear that they may have extra sensory powers in the 4 other senses... so a blind guy may have great hearing, touch, scent, and taste senses... but as we go along we find the blind guy is also deaf, has no sense of smell, and has bad taste buds.......

the point is, at least make a subtle attempt to address what is actually happening.....

how many series have to go by when nobody guards Rondo where he avoids taking and making jumpers, freebies, 3s, cannot finish, does not go to the line, and causes not only 3 second violations, shot clock violations, but also offensive rebounds and an automatic double team on his own team's best players........

Why is this so hard to see, it happens every night and the announcers (not named Tommy) express it every night...........

With Devin Harris they are up 2 zip and won both by at least 15.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Rondo and other PG's:
    Does he really want to be known as the third best PG behind Rose and CP3???? I think not. I said it first, Rondo will have a huge playoffs . Mark it down. 04-17-11 / 6:37 Eastern time. 
    Posted by Getzo

Triple double anyone? Game 3 in the garden?

Still a little careless with the ball, sure.  But he is beginnning to play his best bball of the year so far.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Getzo, Duder will not care about his stats...its the "3 hall of famers" that stuffs his stats....riiiiiiiiiiiiiight, Dudder?  The Rondo issue should be put to bed now...get over it or go cheer for another team!!!!!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Getzo, Duder will not care about his stats...its the "3 hall of famers" that stuffs his stats....riiiiiiiiiiiiiight, Dudder?  The Rondo issue should be put to bed now...get over it or go cheer for another team!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by jdm894g

Good thing we don't care what he thinks

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's : Just a simple wake up call for those of you that vastly overweight his strengths but cannot even recognize his weaknesses and how with 3 hall of famers the Cs may be a lot better off or at worst no worse off....... Of course not something you can comprehend but at least something you could at least consider. When you hear about a blind person you hear that they may have extra sensory powers in the 4 other senses... so a blind guy may have great hearing, touch, scent, and taste senses... but as we go along we find the blind guy is also deaf, has no sense of smell, and has bad taste buds....... the point is, at least make a subtle attempt to address what is actually happening..... how many series have to go by when nobody guards Rondo where he avoids taking and making jumpers, freebies, 3s, cannot finish, does not go to the line, and causes not only 3 second violations, shot clock violations, but also offensive rebounds and an automatic double team on his own team's best players........ Why is this so hard to see, it happens every night and the announcers (not named Tommy) express it every night........... With Devin Harris they are up 2 zip and won both by at least 15.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

really? devin harris? that's your answer?

the man who led the nets to a 12-70 record just last season?
    did you not notice how the jazz plummeted and the nets soared after they swapped point guards?

he's not even that good a shooter (career 30% 3pt), he's a traffic cone on defense, he's had one breakout season which he has never replicated.

I would have belived you if you'd said chris paul or deron williams

but devin harris? don't insult us both

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from videoburns. Show videoburns's posts

...... With Devin Harris they are up 2 zip and won both by at least 15.
    Posted by TheDUDDER

LOL  yes and tonight Devin and the celts would have won by 45,,,   

Every post you make ... makes me happier that you don't have an actual say in running the Celtics....   geez that's a scary thought...     Danny recognized Rondo's special value...  and kept him in Boston for a good reason..      

Today he could be traded for 4 players of Devin Harris stature.

Harris probably wont be playing five years from now...    Rondo will still be leading his teams to playoff wins.      Rondo is a Great Celtic  and will eventually be recognized as a great point guard.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's : LOL  yes and tonight Devin and the celts would have won by 45,,,    Every post you make ... makes me happier that you don't have an actual say in running the Celtics....   geez that's a scary thought...     Danny recognized Rondo's special value...  and kept him in Boston for a good reason..       Today he could be traded for 4 players of Devin Harris stature. Harris probably wont be playing five years from now...    Rondo will still be leading his teams to playoff wins.      Rondo is a Great Celtic  and will eventually be recognized as a great point guard.         
    Posted by videoburns

In that case... lets showcase Rondo... and then deal him when the season is over.

Pud

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's : Seems to me that Dudder is suggesting that a good game by Rondo is a good game by Rondo and that matters as does a good game by any player. But PGs rarely carry teams to championships. So temper the expectation... DRose perhaps not withstanding. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

You and dudder are like twin sisters .You even finish one another`s sentences.You`re right of course, the point guard with  the triple double and the 20 assists deserves no credit for tonight`s win.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's :  You and dudder are like twin sisters .You even finish one another`s sentences.You`re right of course, the point guard with  the triple double and the 20 assists deserves no credit for tonight`s win.
    Posted by jrleftfoot

Awesome.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In Response to Re: Rondo and other PG's : In that case... lets showcase Rondo... and then deal him when the season is over. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Actually that is not a bad idea.  I will not be surprised if Danny trades Rondo after this season.  Not because Rondo is not great.  But because Danny has started looking towards the future.

I love Rondo's game, despite his limitations.  And he fits perfectly with the current Celtics great.  But put him in a different situation and I am sure that the coach there will figure out system that will allow Rondo and that team to excel.  Rondo, despite his limitations, is a brilliant player and brilliance is a very special quality.

If we can learn anything from Perk's trade, I am prepared to see Rondo getting traded for players + draft picks.

Sections
Shortcuts